Looking into upgrading my RB3 stock drums.

Halo4life090Halo4life090 Unsigned
edited December 2012 in Rock Band
I found it too costly to buy another drum kit. So I thought I'd come here and ask for advice/recommendations. I'm looking into replacing my foot pedal (As it snapped in half), my pads, and maybe even my cymbals. Do you think this is worth the time and money?

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited December 2012
    Sounds like it's time for you to get a set of ION's if you need to replace your whole kit anyway.
  • Halo4life090Halo4life090 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Sounds like a good idea.
    It will save me the time and money.
    Thanks.
    edited December 2012
    And they're more durable and won't break as easy. I've went through about 4-5 stock kits before I finally dropped the ball and got the ION's. I ended up spending triple buying replacement stock kits than what it would have cost me to just getting an ION kit from the get-go. Best investment I've made as far as Rock Band is concerned.
  • ElementicianElementician Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    how do you go through 4-5 stock kits? i've seen the damage ppl do to their drum kits, its ridiculous, i'm glad i don't pound and bang on my drum-kit that hard where they won't break
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Halo4life090;4941708 said:
    I'm looking into replacing my foot pedal (As it snapped in half)

A little insight on how this happened? Did you try to get an elephant to play your drum kit?

Also, I just looked at a picture of the ion kit. Does it come with three cymbals so it's Pro drum capable out of the box or do the extra cymbals have to be bought separately? Does it have a midi out? Does it have a sound output like a regular electric drum kit?
  • DemonUnicornsDemonUnicorns Normally Dumb
    edited December 2012
    rockman05;4941822 said:
    Also, I just looked at a picture of the ion kit. Does it come with three cymbals so it's Pro drum capable out of the box or do the extra cymbals have to be bought separately? Does it have a midi out? Does it have a sound output like a regular electric drum kit?

1) I believe it comes with two, you have to buy a third.
    2) No midi out. I do believe there might be a converter for that though.\
    3) No. It's only USB out, meant for Rock Band play.

As part as durability, yeah, the pads themselves are great, the bass pedal as well. In my case, however, the cymbals sucked balls. After a while the set was plagued with cross-talk, so I just had to remove the cymbals.
    edited December 2012
    Elementician;4941821 said:
    how do you go through 4-5 stock kits? i've seen the damage ppl do to their drum kits, its ridiculous, i'm glad i don't pound and bang on my drum-kit that hard where they won't break
    By playing like it was a real e-kit I guess which it most certainly is not. :p

Mostly what would happen would be a combination of bubbling pads, kick pedals snapping, and sensors/sensor holders breaking and since I was sick and tired of performing makeshift repairs on the stock kit making it look ghetto-fabulous with tape everywhere and glue stains, I finally got the ION's which I haven't had a single problem with thus far (aside from the Pintech cymbals, but that's another story).

Long story short, the stock kit is not meant for advanced players who play almost everyday because it will break down within a year to the point you'll need to replace the whole kit. And considering most of its hardware is reinforced with cheap plastic, it shouldn't be hard to comprehend that the stock kits can break pretty easily especially the kick pedals. I've gone through about a dozen of the stock pedals. It doesn't snap in half like the OP said, but it snaps at the hinge where the pedal meets the base plate. Once again, cheap plastic is the culprit. ION's are the only way to go if you're an advanced player and you don't have the money for a full-on e-kit.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    I rarely play drums and struggle at anything above medium. Whenever I hit my green pad on my stock RB1 set it makes a cracking noise and sounds like it could snap off at any minute. And I never play my set. Any drummer that plays daily would of snapped my green pad off back in the RB1 days. These kits are the least durable things ever.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Elementician;4941821 said:

I've gone through about that many kits. When you have family that play, and then you play everyday, as well...it doesn't take long for them to start missing hits eventually. lol. I do wish I had a gentler touch. My latest set came from a pawn shop ( they were brand new and perfect for 40 bucks.) but it's getting hard to find rb drums for ps3 anywhere now. I think when I get another set eventually it will need to be the ions. I'm intrigued about an e-kit though. I think I'm gonna start a search soon. :)