Quick Q about formatting Xbox HDD and reinstalling RB3

RetrovertigoRetrovertigo Unsigned
edited December 2012 in Rock Band
My HDD is full and getting slow at booting up my 360. I want to format it and just install current games.

But what will happen with RB3? Will it remember I have inputted export/import codes once before and let me grab all the songs again from RB1 and RB2. Or will I have to once again use the codes with those games and faff around? Thanks

Comments

• AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    If this works like PS3, you should be able to go to your download list and download the stuff back.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2012
    Retrovertigo;4942204 said:
    My HDD is full and getting slow at booting up my 360. I want to format it and just install current games.

But what will happen with RB3? Will it remember I have inputted export/import codes once before and let me grab all the songs again from RB1 and RB2. Or will I have to once again use the codes with those games and faff around? Thanks

You'll have to go to your Xbox download history and re-download all the songs, including the exports.

Except for RB1. You'll still have to re-download the export key, but you'll need to start the game up to re-export those songs manually.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Back up the save files for the games you want to keep playing.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2012
    Why not just uninstall old game data and delete/backup saves you don't care about?
  • RetrovertigoRetrovertigo Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

The reason I want to format the HDD is that since the last update my Xbox takes forever to boot up. Found a fair few people online who have fixed it by formatting the HDD and starting again. I guess like any HDD it can get fragmented over time.
    edited December 2012
    Bront20;4942415 said:
    Why not just uninstall old game data and delete/backup saves you don't care about?

As he suggests, that just deletes data. It doesn't optimise the usage of the space. If you constantly 'shotgun' data, that can have an affect. Though I suspect the 360 deals with that a little better than a PC does. Still, I've personally never had a slowdown that wasn't due to some other issue.

OP, not that it really matters, but do you leave anything inserted in the USB slots? Sometimes weird things can happen because of that.

Oh, and if you have any DLC for oXbox games, you'll definitely want a HDD transfer cable. Because oXbox data won't copy any other way. Game data may not be so important, but DLC will be impossible to replace. Just a heads up.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2012
    Santa Claustrophobia;4942926 said:
    As he suggests, that just deletes data. It doesn't optimise the usage of the space. If you constantly 'shotgun' data, that can have an affect. Though I suspect the 360 deals with that a little better than a PC does. Still, I've personally never had a slowdown that wasn't due to some other issue.
    Knowing how NTFS works, the fragmentation effect on performance is minimal, and I'm pretty sure the XBox doesn't use FAT.

But hey, in theory rebooting a PC shouldn't be needed either.
    edited December 2012
    Bront20;4943897 said:
    Knowing how NTFS works, the fragmentation effect on performance is minimal, and I'm pretty sure the XBox doesn't use FAT.

But hey, in theory rebooting a PC shouldn't be needed either.

Actually, the Xbox uses a version of FAT.