Rush going to the hall of fame!!!

CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
edited March 2013 in History of Rock
I can't believe this is happening. And in the first year where the fans had a ballot. In addition to Rush, the others going to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are Heart, Public Enemy, Randy Newman, Donna Summer, and Albert King.

VOICE YOUR JOY!!!

Comments

  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited December 2012
    Randy Newman... He does not have a friend in me.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Just heard, its about damn time. I'm not even that big of Rush fan but they desreved this long long ago!!
    Congrats to them
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    The Hall of Fame's selections confuse the donk out of me. I know this silly argument gets used all the time in Rock Band whenever they add a pop song and the trolls start flooding in but...who decided to induct James Taylor, Madonna, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, or the Jackson 5? Not to say that they aren't great musicians (come on, who doesn't love themselves some Grandmaster Flash?), but they definitely don't fit in with the title of the hall. They've all had strong influences on popular music, but popular music and rock aren't always hand in hand.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited December 2012
    Cool, now y'all that whined about Rush getting snubbed from the HoF can shut up now. :)
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4942807 said:
    Cool, now y'all that whined about Rush getting snubbed from the HoF can shut up now. :)

    Yes, we'll shut up. But now we have to answer to the KISS Army.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    Witticus;4942728 said:
    Randy Newman... He does not have a friend in me.

    He doesn't have may friends since all he does is sing about what he sees.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Guys, Randy Newman isn't all that bad (though how he ended up getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame baffles me). The theme song for Monk is pretty good.
  • Logan812Logan812 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Funny thing about "You've Got A Friend In Me" to me is that it's so cheery, yet his albums are depressing.
  • HardRockerBrazilHardRockerBrazil Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    horsepastriesa;4943344 said:
    Guys, Randy Newman isn't all that bad (though how he ended up getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame baffles me). The theme song for Monk is pretty good.
    Quoted and bolded for truth.
    I wonder what those so-called "rock experts" that take care of the induction process actually listen to.
    CanuckGamer;4942848 said:
    Yes, we'll shut up. But now we have to answer to the KISS Army.

    You got that right.
    I'm thinking there's people out there willing to start picket lines (I wouldn't, but I sure would join if someone started it) in front of the Hall just to get KISS inducted for 2014.

    Though I wouldn't be surprised if they induced, say, Salt-N-Pepa instead. Not that I don't like them (actually I'm indifferent), but it's like the other guy said: it's supposed to be the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame. It's not like you can argue it so much like here with Rock Band. I mean, I friggin' love Public Enemy, it's one of the sickest rap I've ever heard, but the only thing I see in them about rock are some of the samples they use, like the Angel of Death break riff in She Watch Channel Zero!?.

    No wonder the Sex Pistols were so pissed at actually being inducted.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    I think at this point, the HOF is just going to add a token hard rock act in each year.

    KISS, Purple or Maiden may very well make it in next.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    Logan812;4943456 said:
    Funny thing about "You've Got A Friend In Me" to me is that it's so cheery, yet his albums are depressing.

    Either that or they're about his prejudice towards dwarves.
    seriousbusson;4943575 said:
    KISS, Purple or Maiden may very well make it in next.
    No Judas Priest, Scorpions, or Rainbow in that prediction?
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4943662 said:

    No Judas Priest, Scorpions, or Rainbow in that prediction?

    Bigger names in present day, but yeah, Priest and Scorps are likely to make it in at some point themselves. I highly doubt Rainbow will before Purple though. In a perfect world, both acts would have been in by now.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited December 2012
    seriousbusson;4943874 said:
    Bigger names in present day, but yeah, Priest and Scorps are likely to make it in at some point themselves. I highly doubt Rainbow will before Purple though. In a perfect world, both acts would have been in by now.

    The fact that Randy Newman made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame before Deep Purple or Judas Priests kind of shows how irrelevant the award actually is.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited December 2012
    I confess... while I'm glad Rush is in the Hall of Fame, I'm not overly excited. It's just really hard for me to take the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame seriously when so many inducted artists aren't rock.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Public Enemy gets in before all these bands mentioned. Public Enemy did more for rock and roll than all these other bands that have been mentioned? Is there a logical explanation for it?
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited December 2012
    Backbeat60-62;4947177 said:
    Public Enemy gets in before all these bands mentioned. Public Enemy did more for rock and roll than all these other bands that have been mentioned? Is there a logical explanation for it?

    The problem is they try to appeal to more diverse demographics by including in other genres besides rock so rap groups tend to pop up in there every so often. There is a Hip Hop Hall of Fame being established soon, but we've essentially already mucked up Rocks Hall of Fame by trying to cater to other genres.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2012
    Not to defend the trite HOF, but to say the soul or pop musicians on it didn't contribute to rock music in one way or the other is absurd. The hip-hop inductees are far and few between and I'd say the few that are in there have earned it. Other genres have effected rock music as has rock to other genres.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited December 2012
    HMXLachesis;4946382 said:
    I confess... while I'm glad Rush is in the Hall of Fame, I'm not overly excited. It's just really hard for me to take the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame seriously when so many inducted artists aren't rock.

    So how 'bout that Carly Rae Jepsen, huh? The game is called ROCK Band.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited December 2012
    Gowienczyk;4947431 said:
    Not to defend the trite HOF, but to say the soul or pop musicians on it didn't contribute to rock music in one way or the other is absurd. The hip-hop inductees are far and few between and I'd say the few that are in there have earned it. Other genres have effected rock music as has rock to other genres.

    I understand that logic, but also feel genre's in rock's own realm are constantly looked over to put a more popular band in instead. Like as much as I love Public Enemy, I feel metal and Prog usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to this award. At least cater to your own influential groups as well before you decide Randy Newman is a much more deserving figure than oh say Iron Maiden or Judas Priests. Like most awards shows its just a popularity contest to get views.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2012
    I don't disagree; though whatever recognition given is interesting to see whether it is this or another awards show. Honestly, I wish most of these would be less popularity contests but that isn't changing anytime soon. VGA's are pretty much the same way, but even when those happened I felt good for TWD and Journey among other things getting deserved nods.
  • Obscura13Obscura13 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Either way RUSH rules!!! So hapyp to get my 3 quarter length sleeve shirt in the mail yesterday :D

    http://www.catacombscds.com/product/Rush_-_Starman_Baseball_Jersey_Shirt.html
  • BravorockBravorock Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    I am not an adrent fan of the Rush but what i can tell them is to keep it up.
Sign In or Register to comment.