Official Discussion: DLC Week of 12/18 - Elton John 3 Pack!

Comments

• samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Henry_Sardonicus;4944498 said:
    So... this means Elton John: Rock Band, right?

The world is ending next week. Let's not jump to conclusions.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    holy crap. this is an epic fail of a pack if i've ever seen one. i'm glad i'm not a big elton john fan, if i was i'd be pretty pissed.

why bother to include a blitz song in a pack? i can see the reasoning for releasing it as a single, but putting it into a pack makes no sense. most people who would buy the pack already have the song from blitz, and i can see there possibly being people who buy the pack without realizing it's got a double in it, consequently wasting $1.50 on a duplicate song. just release the 3 songs as singles, or better yet, include one of his other songs in the pack and offer i'm still standing as a separate single.

secondly, of all the elton john songs available, they picked "dont let the sun go down on me"? i can't imagine that will be a very fun song gameplay-wise, and there are so many elton songs that would be way more fun for the game. it seems like we've gotten a huge influx of ballads this year, and i don't hate ballads (i've probably bought most of them) but when an artist has as many songs as elton does, including much more fun songs like rocket man or bennie and the jets that would be better suited to the game, this kind of song choice is really puzzling. unless it was forced on HMX by the record company, i can't imagine a single reason that song would be chosen over so many other songs from his catalog.

oh, and finally to add insult to injury, no pro guitar upgrade. oh well, i'm on PS3, so i guess the 2-week-late black crowes song will be my pro song of the week.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited December 2012
    I predict this will be the most heavily censored thread on the entire forums. And with that, let me say...

More Elton John? IT'S ABOUT ****IN' TIME!!

Sad that he didn't get a bigger pack, though, and I have to say it does seem a little shady to toss a Blitz track into the pack, especially so soon after Blitz's release. I'm not really complaining though, because whatever discount Blitz-players lose here is more than made up by the deal we got on that game's track pack. Even so, the timing could have been a teensy little better, in my humble opinion, especially for this particular artist who easily has about 35,612 other songs that are worthy of inclusion.

But, whatever. More Elton John. Yay! I'm buying everything... except of course what I've already bought.
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Um, so definitely no pro upgrade?
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited December 2012
    Only know 2 Elton John songs that weren't already in Rock Band. Neither of these ones are them.

26th week of nothing this year, the second time I've gone 4 weeks in a row with nothing, and a worse month than November both percentage-wise and "Which weeks did I buy something?".
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 2012
    Kemiroch;4944490 said:
    At first I was all:

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

and then I was all:

noooooooooo.......

Haha this sums my feelings up so well!

"The B is Back" is one of my favorite Elton songs, and it's gonna be fun in RB, so I'm very appreciative for that.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited December 2012
    samjjones;4944499 said:
    And I think it's gonna be a long, long time until you see that song on this platform. If ever.

Yea yeah, save it. I adressed the joke to @RockBand on Twitter directly.
    edited December 2012
    samjjones;4944492 said:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Heh.

Jokes make the pain easier to manage.
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Not the EJ I would have picked, but still +2 for me.

It would be +3 but I'm already Blitz'd.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited December 2012
    Since someone has to complain about every choice that HMX makes, let me go ahead and say that I would purchase an Elton John 3-pack if all 3 songs had been songs that I didn't already own. It always strikes me as strange when they mix rereleased songs in packs with new songs. I don't really mind, I suppose, since for me, the current scenario is functionally identical to a scenario where the other two songs were released as singles and I'm Still Standing was rereleased on a separate week, and the pack discount will be of benefit to Elton John fans who didn't buy blitz, which is obviously the target market for the rerelease anyway...

I guess in this case it's actually an overall positive thing, but in a case where they're releasing a bigger pack, even a four-pack, I'd rather the blitz song be released separately so I could benefit from the pack discount. Just something to consider I suppose.
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    MourganDespana;4944482 said:
    Before people say these are bad choices...

We could be getting "That's Why They Call It The Blues"...

So consider us all lucky.

I would have taken that over any of the songs we are getting....except Im Still Standing, which I already have.
  • MycoolMycool Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Oh well, loves me some Elton but those song selections are pretty LAME. To re-use a Blitz song for such a legendary and long awaited artist pack with such an iconic song catalog is a downright criminal act. It's like hitting a homerun but getting called out for rounding the bases backwards. Of course I will buy the other 2 songs (cuz it is Elton after all) and just hope that they wanted to sell these tracks first before releasing the real precious gems (hopefully it won't take another 5 years though).
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited December 2012
    TheStuddz;4944483 said:
    Two is better than none!

It's also better than one :p
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    I probably would have bought a 4-pack, even if it still included "I'm Still Standing". Even if it added in one of his less-loved / cheesy 80s songs. Or the RB3 version of Crocodile Rock. Or even a DLC version of "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" (which would only make sense for playing Blitz!).

Why? Because I like giving Harmonix money, and I want to do what I can to encourage them to continue to put out tracks by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members. And to continue to put out DLC in general. I'll just go ahead and buy even more of the sale songs instead.

I feel pretty certain that Harmonix knows exactly how much we would love even more Elton John songs, especially from the 70s, but that they just aren't available because of issues with the masters or with licensing.
  • njdevil44njdevil44 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    My ideal Elton John 3-pack would be Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, All the Young Girls Love Alice, and Simple Life, and I think I'm alone in that. Fact is, Elton has so many hits that it's impossible to please anybody with just a 3-pack. Leaning towards getting the pack since Wii didn't get Blitz, the song choices are solid and should be fun in-game. Hopefully we get some more EJ later on down the line, and I'm also looking forward to the few songs I wanted from Blitz coming out as DLC in the future (Cult of Personality, Shine, Jessie's Girl, Shout).
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited December 2012
    First... surprised to see Elton since the only other times we have gotten Sir Elton's and Bernie's work is with game releases... that being said,

Second... a game release repeat is another surprise. Not sure how I feel about that one.

Still, happy to see Elton John get a couple more songs released as DLC.
  • Dr. ParaDr. Para Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    As I bought Blitz on release day, I'm Still is of obviously no interest and I echo the disappointment of not getting a third, different song and just bunching off the Blitz stuff. With that said, grabbing the other 2 definitely. I can't begin to count the amount of times that there has been drunken singing amongst friends where the word "sun" gets replaced with "son" ... yeah, we're bad people.
  • CrueHead871CrueHead871 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Saw Elton in lead of post description and was like Holy Crap, it actually happened!!! The 9-12 pack of Elton John we've all been waiting for has arrived!!!

Then I clicked with a racing heart in anticipation of the joy I would most certainly be feeling any second...

Then......

Are you friggin SERIOUS?!?!?!? I mean, like many others have stated, AWESOME to have a pack. But come on, this is the best you can do?

Confused... Buying the 2 I don't already have, and thankful for them, which is why I support the game, but really, really hoping this is a lead in for something BIG.
    edited December 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4944516 said:

-_-

I just knew that someone would link to that song. But you, Aly? Really?!
    edited December 2012
    Dr. Para;4944522 said:
    I can't begin to count the amount of times that there has been drunken singing amongst friends where the word "sun" gets replaced with "son" ... yeah, we're bad people.
    And then there's a comment my roommate once made about this song.

"The sun going down? Wouldn't that... really, really hurt?"

He's not the type to make that kind of joke, which just made it even funnier.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    tnevaker;4944505 said:

why bother to include a blitz song in a pack? i can see the reasoning for releasing it as a single, but putting it into a pack makes no sense. most people who would buy the pack already have the song from blitz, and i can see there possibly being people who buy the pack without realizing it's got a double in it, consequently wasting $1.50 on a duplicate song. just release the 3 songs as singles, or better yet, include one of his other songs in the pack and offer i'm still standing as a separate single.
    I actually agree with this. Packaging a previously availabe song in a "pack" with two brand new songs is kinda questionable. But if they're eventually releasing the entire Blitz setlist as DLC, then I kinda understand this.
    tnevaker;4944505 said:

secondly, of all the elton john songs available, they picked "dont let the sun go down on me"? i can't imagine that will be a very fun song gameplay-wise, and there are so many elton songs that would be way more fun for the game. it seems like we've gotten a huge influx of ballads this year, and i don't hate ballads (i've probably bought most of them) but when an artist has as many songs as elton does, including much more fun songs like rocket man or bennie and the jets that would be better suited to the game, this kind of song choice is really puzzling. unless it was forced on HMX by the record company, i can't imagine a single reason that song would be chosen over so many other songs from his catalog.
    There's a pretty strong likelihood that HMX was restricted in what they could choose. These are 70's masters, after all...some may be lost, some may exist but not be useable, there may be any of a zillion licensing/label problems, etc. HMX delivered two 70's tracks here. I think most people would prefer other EJ hits first, but I'm sure HMX picked what they thought would 1) sell best, and 2) be most representative of EJ's music from the tracks they could choose from.

On the bright side, RB is still delivering big artists in year 6, so that's something to be pleased about.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited December 2012
    Anyone else wondering how the h4x the title works in the OP but not when we post it? :p
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4944516 said:

But...
  • GAThrawnGAThrawn Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    TheStuddz;4944468 said:
    *Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    *Elton John - Crocodile Rock (RB3 Version)
    *Elton John - Bennie and the Jets
    *Elton John - Daniel
    *Elton John - Island Girl
    *Elton John - Philadelphia Freedom
    *Elton John - Your Song
    *Elton John - Tiny Dancer
    *Elton John - Rocket Man
    *Elton John - Candle In The Wind
    *Elton John - Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

You forgot these.

The pack could also have used Levon, Honky Cat, Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, and I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues. Amazing artist and FAR superior to the lame week last time.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    How to F*@# UP an Elton John pack.... By Harmonix
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    If we buy these songs up, EJ will let HMX license the good ones.

Seeing all those keyboard Os reminds me of the Billy Joel challenge packs.

Buying all 3.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited December 2012
    ***** please!

on subject: not my cup of tea... Here's hoping it'll be something I like next week....
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Quaszar;4944535 said:
    How to F*@# UP an Elton John pack.... By Harmonix

Exactly
    edited December 2012
    GAThrawn;4944532 said:
    The pack could also have used Levon, Honky Cat, Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, and I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues. Amazing artist and FAR superior to the lame week last time.

Yeah, those too.
    edited December 2012
    samjjones;4944527 said:
    On the bright side, RB is still delivering big artists in year 6, so that's something to be pleased about.

Definitely!