The XMB Crash thread.

AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
Okey so since no one ever started it since the changings of the support forums, I decided to make this thread. Here is the situation well known by most players (if I miss something, or something is wrong, please tell me):

XMB crash appears to only happen when you are connected to the servers, weither you're playing online or not. It can happen pretty much everywhere in the game, I've seen in happen at the start or a song, at the end of a song, in the song list, while browsing leaderboards, even at the opening video.

I, for one, don't experiment it as much as most of the people, I just got one tonight, but the last XMB crash I experienced was about 3 weeks ago, maybe more, but I know how much frustration this can cause to people. Even if I don't experience it much, it's very annoying having to wait for your bandmates to reload the game every time, loading the DLC list, which in this case, is usually 5-10min wait, so if everyone crash one after the other, well, you don't play much.

I'm doing this thread in the hope that one day, someone will say something that HMX will be able to use in order to fix this extremely annoying problem.

Discuss.

Comments

• ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    I also rarely get them, but I got one on Saturday night, right around 11 PM EST. I had been playing for a few hours, so when it happened, it was a good time to quit anyway. It was while I was scrolling through the song list.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    I for one, don't care about XMB mode anymore since the RBC & XMB discussion...
    It will never be fixed....
    So, end of discussion..
  • Cleaver1Cleaver1 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    It is still extremely irritating, but they have said they are unable to fix it or figure it out, so I too am done trying to troubleshoot it, I will pop in and rant when the xmb boot really gets me angry from time to time though. LOL.
    edited December 2012
    Cleaver1;4949158 said:
    It is still extremely irritating, but they have said they are unable to fix it or figure it out, so I too am done trying to troubleshoot it, I will pop in and rant when the xmb boot really gets me angry from time to time though. LOL.

Amen to that Brutha...
    I had 4 last night within a hour...
    And I was alone!!! LMAO :D
    But I just don't care.. because RBC works every time!!! :)
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2012
    Really frustrating when u load 2400 songs and you xmb after the first one
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    intropee;4946909 said:

It will never be fixed....
    So, end of discussion..
    I think that says it all right there. :(

The only hope is that maybe, someday, we'll see another incarnation of Rock Band that isn't so unstable (aside from Blitz) where we can play our catalog without worrying about having the game just crash on a whim.
  • Buzzkill_1970Buzzkill_1970 Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    I had my first XMB crash in a long time (a day or two ago). I was just beginning to think that they had this problem nipped.
  • MaximusDMMaximusDM Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    Buzzkill_1970;4964672 said:
    I was just beginning to think that they had this problem nipped.
    I'll admit it, I lol'd.
    edited January 2013
    Buzzkill_1970;4964672 said:
    I had my first XMB crash in a long time (a day or two ago). I was just beginning to think that they had this problem nipped.

LMAO :D the same...
    One night I had 4 XMB in a hour!!!
  • stixman6stixman6 Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    intropee;4964722 said:
    LMAO :D the same...
    One night I had 4 XMB in a hour!!!

I had 5 in less than an hour last night, finally gave up. I recently purchased a bunch of $1 tunes ... crashes have definitely been occurring more frequently since then.
    edited January 2013
    stixman6;4971273 said:
    I had 5 in less than an hour last night, finally gave up. I recently purchased a bunch of $1 tunes ... crashes have definitely been occurring more frequently since then.

Sorry it happened to you, my friend :(
    Weird. First time in a long time last night with NO XMB Mode.
    Which is great, Please RB3 gods...
    Let me go a whole week and I promise to go fully expert on all instruments, afterwards!! :D

Edit: 4 1/2 hours of game play..
    edited January 2013
    Last night no XMB....1st and 2nd night with friends..:rolleyes: after 5 hours of game play..

5 nights to go....;)

Stay tune...

Tonight will be the BIG test.. I usually play for 10-12 hours...
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    It's curious, since about 2 months, I never crash, except when I want to look at leaderboards on several songs, or scrolling song list for various reason for at least 10mins, then I crash, but I never crash while playing.
    edited January 2013
    Well it crashed :(
    Too good to be true..TY XMB mode.. missed you.. LMAO :D
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    Yeah I got two within an hour yesterday. I never used to get them anywhere close to that frequently (maybe I'd get one a week).
  • stixman6stixman6 Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    Yep ... had 3 within the 1st 30 minutes again last night. My patience is definitely being tested lately.
    edited January 2013
    stixman6;4976207 said:
    Yep ... had 3 within the 1st 30 minutes again last night. My patience is definitely being tested lately.

I feel you brother :(
  • MackieMackie Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    Has anyone ever determined whether these XML crashes actually causes any damage to the ps3?
    edited January 2013
    Mackie;4976387 said:
    Has anyone ever determined whether these XML crashes actually causes any damage to the ps3?

It doesn't, it just closes the game.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited January 2013
    well if it happens while saving then it's not really the best thing ever for your Hard Drive I assume
    edited January 2013
    jibjqrkl;4976409 said:
    well if it happens while saving then it's not really the best thing ever for your Hard Drive I assume

I've never seen that happens, but I guess in rare occasions it can.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited February 2013
    Scrolled two songs after loading up and XMB'd. this is a full sony issue im saying.
    Doesn't surprise me though... after they **** up their store too.
    edited February 2013
    No comment on XMB from me ...
    Can't tell you how many times I XMB'd.. same old story.. :(
  • Someguy12121Someguy12121 Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    So how come Harmonix has not addressed the issue on the PS3 where the game will randomly quit to the XMB on the PS3? Its getting quite annoying :/
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    HMX have addressed the issue by saying they are unable to fix it because they cannot reproduce an xmb crash easily, sorry but it will never be fixed.
    edited February 2013
    nuttzo31;4987877 said:
    HMX have addressed the issue by saying they are unable to fix it because they cannot reproduce an xmb crash easily, sorry but it will never be fixed.

Sad but true... :(
    It gets worse.. 4-2-13.. no more new DLCs from RB or RBN for the PS3 & Wii... :(
    The PS4 is not backward compatible :(
    XMB is now meaningless :(

But the servers are staying up and the DLCs sale of 1277 old DLCs will be on sale forever!!:)
  • bth3571bth3571 Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    I finally chased my xmb crashes down to the usb. If you unplug everything from the usb it will not crash. The main reason is that the hub is an actual power point and the external instruments are sending and receiving signals. Ive done this countless times to prove the theory and it seems to be the issue.

How to fix? No known fix because of usb hub needing power.

Reason its not happining to other games or consoles? Other games do not need external instruments so no signals are being sent to usb. Other consoles have "fixed" issue in Improper usb grounding. ps3 has not fully addressed that prob....( ps4 )????

What can you do? Nothing at all.Sony obviously did not foresee this problem and without a recall theres not much they will say except weve tryed to figure it out but we dont get it either.
    edited February 2013
    Just had an xmb crash now playing modern love by david bowie, i have had probably six crashes in over 1000 hours playing and i can't recall a post rb2 song crashing but i could be wrong.
    edited February 2013
    bth3571;4989550 said:
    How to fix? No known fix because of usb hub needing power.

I have an un-powered USB HUB on my PS3 and I practically never crash. Also, if you really think it would fix it, the solution is simple: get a powered USB HUB.
    edited February 2013
    Alternity;4990414 said:
    I have an un-powered USB HUB on my PS3 and I practically never crash. Also, if you really think it would fix it, the solution is simple: get a powered USB HUB.

I think he is talking about the PS3 usb ports themselves requiring power from the console and not an external hub running from the ps3. Is there anyway to check this without having anything plugged in to the usb ports? As far as i know if you remove the mic the game pauses.

What about games like singstar and rocksmith don't they need things plugged into the usb to operate and do they have problems with crashing?