DLC by the Numbers - queuemark's Wall of Stats, 2012 Edition

queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
edited January 2013 in Rock Band
Greetings forums-dwellers. You may recall that last year I indulged my need to examine my interests statistically by creating a massive post taking a look at various statistics for 2011’s DLC. I thought it was pretty interesting, and since I work for a school and have two glorious weeks of vacation, I thought I would take another shot at doing it for 2012.

Feel free to take a look at the stats for 2011; it includes data such as number of DLC released by artist, genre, and decade, as well as top-selling DLC, and other assorted trivia.


Now, as of this posting, the DLC is official for the entire year, save for the last week, which has been leaked. It’s certainly possible that the leaked DLC will turn out to be inaccurate, but it seems likely to be legit, so I’ve gone ahead and compiled the stats to reflect the leaked songs. If need be, I will simply go back and update.

Last year I mentioned a few caveats -- particularly that I wasn’t going to be double-counting the Country Track Pack 2 songs. This year I had to make a decision about Blitz. Though not technically traditional DLC, Blitz was released instead of a regular week of DLC and was responsible for introducing a number of new artists to the platform. I therefore made the decision to count the Blitz artists as though they were DLC...but not to count the songs that were also released as separate DLC later.

Although I did count RB Blitz songs as though they were DLC, I decided not to count the Green Day songs released as DLC, excepting “Oh Love” and the pro-upgrades. The way I see it, the Blitz songs are otherwise unavailable (for the most part), whereas the GD:RB songs have been available for a long time. They don’t really “feel” like 2012 DLC, having been released in 2010. You may disagree with my designations, but hey, you can make your own wall o’ stats.

My other caveat is that this information is all gleaned from Rockband.com/songs, as well as the Wikipedia page. It is possible (likely) that there are mistakes here and there. Please let me know if you see one.


Alright, without further ado, here are the DLC stats for 2012!

Overall Numbers

Total Number of Songs Released for Rock Band in 2012: 179 (154, excluding Blitz)
Difference from 2011: -127

Average Number of Songs Released Per Week: 3.44 (2.96, excluding Blitz)
Difference from 2011: -2.36


Total Number of Pro-Upgraded Songs Released: 53
Difference from 2011: -79

Artists with the Most Pro-Upgrades is Unchanged from 2011.
Artists that now have multiple upgrades include the B-52's, Chicago, Huey Lewis & the News, Iron Maiden, the Offspring, Paramore, and Queens of the Stone Age (2 each) as well as Creedence Clearwater Revival and Linkin Park (3 each).


Songs Featuring 2 or 3-Part Harmonies: 159
Songs Featuring a Keys/Pro-Keys Part: 124
Songs Lacking Both Keys and Harmonies: 12


Biggest Pack of the Year: Maiden Epics (6 songs)
Smallest Release of the Year: Incubus - Drive (1 single)


Number of Distinct Artists Released: 100


Artists New to the Platform: 46
(Note: this excludes featured artists (Janelle Monae, Christina Aguilera) and includes Sublime as distinct from Sublime with Rome and the Black Crowes as being new to the platform)

Number of New Artists Last Year: 50
(Note that this included several artists in the Country Track Pack Volume 2. This year actually saw many more new artists than last year, in relative terms).


Artists with the Most Songs Released in 2012:


Iron Maiden (7)
P!nk (5)
Linkin Park (4)
Shinedown (4)
Three Days Grace (4)


DLC by Genre:

Alternative (21)
Classic Rock (18)

Country (3)
Emo (6)
Glam (4)
Grunge (7)
Indie Rock (6)
Metal (26)
New Wave (8)
Nu-Metal (14)
Pop/Dance/Electronic (4)
Pop/Rock (22)
Punk (4)
R&B/Soul/Funk (1)
Reggae/Ska (1)
Rock (30)
Southern Rock (4)

No songs were released as official DLC in the genres Blues, Jazz, Hip-Hop/Rap, Prog, or Other (in addition to other genre tags that Harmonix has never used).


DLC by Decade:

2010’s: 35
2000’s: 49
1990’s: 40
1980’s: 40
1970’s: 13
1960’s: 2

Note: While “the Weight” by the Band is from 1968, the live version we have is tagged as being a 1970s track. Along with that song, the oldest one we have is CCR’s “Susie Q.”


DLC Releases as Packs/Singles/Etc:

2012 saw mostly singles and 3-packs released. Here are the pack totals:

6 packs: 1 (Maiden Epics)
5 packs: 1 (Green Day 03, not counted in other totals)
4 packs: 3 (Gold Star My Heart, Linkin Park, and P!nk)
3 packs: 27

There were 9 artists that had 2 singles within the same week (Korn, Edgar Winter Group, Sum 41, Men at Work, Foster the People, Foreigner, Smash Mouth, Billy Squier, Kenny Loggins).

The following 8 artists had 2 separate DLC releases over the year (includes artists with DLC and on Blitz): Iron Maiden, P!nk, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Elton John, My Chemical Romance, All-American Rejects, Green Day).


Bands Getting Additional Packs:

Black Keys 02
Creedence Clearwater Revival 02
Evanescence 02
Maiden Epics (follows Iron Maiden 01)
Megadeth 01 (follows 2 albums)
Linkin Park 02
Green Day (received multiple packs and albums previously released in GDRB)


Miscellaneous Stats:


Songs Featuring a Female Vocals Part: 24 (13.4%)
[Last Year: 37 Songs (12%)

Songs Featuring a “featuring”: 3 (fun. featuring Janelle Monae, Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera, and Santana ft. Rob Thomas)

Live Songs: the Band - the Weight (live)
Re-Records: Collective Soul - Shine
This is significantly fewer than in years past.

Miscellaneous Trivia from Other Forums Members:

Bonethug: This is the first full year of DLC that saw no full albums released.
Bront20: There were 3 cover songs released this year (Can't Get Enough of You Baby, Why Can't We Be Friends, and Come on Eileen).

By Country, non-U.S.:

United Kingdom (England): 9 (Bush, Cutting Crew, Dragonforce, Elton John, a Flock of Seagulls, Iron Maiden, Modern English, Queen, Rick Astley)
United Kingdom (Wales): 2 (Florence & the Machine, Bullet for My Valentine)
Canada: 5 (the Band, Barenaked Ladies, Carly Rae Jepsen, Sum 41, Three Days Grace)
Australia: 2 (Men at Work, Midnight Oil)
Finland: Nightwish
(Any I missed?)


Previously Only on a RB Title, Finally DLC:

-Featured in RB3, Finally DLC: 4 (Chicago, Huey Lewis & the News, Tears for Fears, Whitesnake).
-Featured in Multiple RB Titles, Finally DLC: Elton John
-Featured in Lego RB, Finally DLC: Korn, Sum 41
-Featured in RB1, Finally DLC: the Strokes

There are now 29 artists (including the Sounds) in Rock Band 3 that have had no DLC released. The biggest ones include: the Beach Boys, the Cure, Dire Straits, INXS, and Primus. Yeah, there are others, but I’d argue these are the main 5.


AOGH - Already on Guitar Hero

Counting RBN, there were 40 songs released this year that were already available in some form in one of the non-portable Guitar Hero games. See the Completing Guitar Hero thread for more.

AOGH1: 3 (Edgar Winter Group, Sum 41, Megadeth)
AOGH2: 5 (Rage Against the Machine, Allman Brothers Band, the Toadies, Anarchy Club, Brian Kahanek)
AOGH80s: 2 (Quiet Riot, A Flock of Seagulls)
AOGH3: 4 (Living Colour, Slayer, An Endless Sporadic, Prototype)
AOGHWT: 4 (Korn, Bullet for My Valentine, 311, Sublime)
AOGH5: 2 (Bush, Sublime)
AOGHWOR: 2 (Edgwar Winter Group, Bush)
AOBH: 3 (Angels & Airwaves, Everclear, Poison)
AOGH:VH: 1 (Killswitch Engage)

AOGH DLC: 14


Here’s the really cool stuff: Top Selling DLC!

I checked two sources for this: the forums thread that looks at the top-ranked XBL DLC sales and the section of Keldon's site that tracks DLC. The first source can tell actual sales rank (though not actual figures), but only for XBox and it differentiates between packs and singles. Keldon’s site is subject to some inaccuracies (it only tracks played songs, so people playing on multiple accounts are double-counted and people with unplayed DLC are undercounted) but on the whole gives a pretty good idea of sales. Note that the XBOX Live information is the most recent supplied in the forum thread.


Here then, is the best-selling DLC that came out this year, according to XBOX Live ranks (number is sales rank):

Santana (ft. Rob Thomas) - Smooth (539)
Sum 41 - Fat Lip (587)
Train - Drops of Jupiter (615)
Men at Work - Down Under (616)
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up (623)
Incubus - Drive (695)
Poison - Every Rose Has its Thorn (738)
Cutting Crew - (I Just Died in Your Arms (769)
Everclear - Santa Monica (786)
Owl City - Fireflies (788)
Good Charlotte - the Anthem (834)
the B-52’s - Love Shack (846)
Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels (857)
Sum 41 - Still Waiting (872)
Mudvayne - Happy? (913)


Here are the best-selling packs, according to XBOX Live ranks:

Bush 01 (746)
Three Days Grace 01 (843)
Hall & Oates 01 (964)
Bullet for My Valentine 01 (981)
Huey Lewis & the News 01 (1017)
Gold Star My Heart (1029)
Rage Against the Machine 01 (1051)
Linkin Park Park 02 (1078)

You’ll probably notice that most of these songs are from the first part of the year. Obviously it’s not really fair to compare songs that have had 11 months of sales opportunities to more recent ones, so we can break it down a little differently (Notice, though, the strong sales for Cutting Crew, which was a later release).


Here are some notably high ranks for some songs released in the latter half of the year:

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away) (997)
Sublime Pack 01 (1126)
Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become (1147)
Kenny Loggins - Footloose (1219)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (1281)


Here are the most played songs across ALL systems, not just XBOX (number is the quantity of scores recorded):

Santana (ft. Rob Thomas) - Smooth (32,983)
Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You (29,487)
Sum 41 - Fat Lip (28,803)
Korn - Freak on a Leash (28,651)
Men at Work - Down Under (27,469)
Train - Drops of Jupiter (27,031)
Heart - Alone (26,359)
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up (26,347)
Bullet for My Valentine - Tears Don’t Fall (25,239)
Bush - Machinehead (24,078)


Here are the 5 most played songs that came out in the 2nd quarter of the year:

Train - Drops of Jupiter (27,031)
Bullet for My Valentine - Tears Don’t Fall (25,239)
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name (22,235)
Bullet for My Valentine - Your Betrayal (20,818)
Incubus - Drive (19,014)


And the 5 most played songs that came out in the 3rd quarter:

Cutting Crew - (I Just Died) In Your Arms (18,251)
Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit (15,313)
the B-52’s - Love Shack (14,585)
Linkin Park - New Divide (14,284)
Linkin Park - Burn it Down (14,206)


And from the final quarter:

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (12,446)
Sublime - Santeria (11,531)
A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away) (10,746)
Sublime - What I Got (9,673)
Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become (8,799)


And here, according to Rockbandscores, are the tracks released this year with the fewest plays, ie, the lowest-selling DLC for 2012:

Midnight Oil - Power and the Passion (1,387)
All-American Rejects - Gonzo (1,530)
Cracker - Teen Angst (2,331)
Dave Matthews Band - Mercy (2,296)
Smashmouth - Why Can’t We Be Friends? (2,607)
Smashmouth - I Can’t Get Enough of You Baby (2,708)
the Band - the Weight (live) (2,981)
Staind - Not Again (4,495)
Queens of the Stone Age - In My Head (5,119)
Mastodon - Curl of the Burl (6,021)

There are some personal favorites in there, that are tough to see. I actually really like the 3 lowest-selling tracks on that list. Also, note that I excluded songs that were released in the last month of the year, but the Black Crowes’ “Sometimes Salvation,” and the Toadies’ “Tyler” and “Away” are all likely to end up being very low sellers.

Edit: RBN Stats

Number of RBN Songs Released in 2012: I'll figure it out later. :-P

Top Selling RBN DLC of 2012, per rockbandscores.com:

Psychostick - BEER!! (6,270)
A Day to Remember - the Plot to Bomb the Panhandle (5,996)
An Endless Sporadic - Impulse (5,360)
Weebl's Stuff - Amazing Horse (4,472)
Asking Alexandria - Dear Insanity (3,879)
Asking Alexandria - Reckless & Relentless (3,717)
Alestorm - Shipwrecked (3,297)
the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Reap (Radio Edit) (3,028)
Asking Alexandria - To the Stage (2,794)
A Day to Remember - Sticks and Bricks (2,361)
Eurobeat Brony - Discord (The Living Tombstone Remix) (2,300)
Jaron & the Long Road to Love - Pray for You (2,323)
Alestorm - Back Through Time (2,201)
Toby Turner - I Can Swing My Sword (ft. Terabrite) (2,055)
Eden's Curse ft. James LaBrie - No Holy Man (1,978)
The Guild featuring Felicia Day - (I'm the One That's Cool) (1,919)
Solution .45 - Gravitational Lensing (1,865)
John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire (1,852)
Powerman 5000 - super Villian (1,842)
An Endless Sporadic - From the Blue/Point of No Return (1,829)
An Endless Sporadic - Anything (1,807)
Lil Deuce Deuce - I Like Trains (1,793)
Eiffel 65 - Move Your Body (1,756)
Lemon Demon - BRODYQUEST (1,725)
Close Your Eyes - Song for the Broken (1,661)
the Faceless - XenoChrist (1,598)
Machinae Supremacy - Rocket Dragon (1,576)

2X Bass Pedal
Asking Alexandria - Reckless & Relentless (880)
An Endless Sporadic - Impulse (689)
Asking Alexandria - To the Stage (578)
Alestorm - Shipwrecked (558)
Solution .45 - Gravitational Lensing (397)
Solution .45 - Lethean Tears (395)
the Faceless - XenoChrist (347)
Asking Alexandria - Dear Insanity (303)
Engel - Sense the Fire (295)
Strikken - Ashes (292)



See next comment below for Blitz stats and my concluding thoughts...

Comments

  • dudemann14dudemann14 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Bands Getting Additional Packs:

    Black Keys 02
    Creedence Clearwater Revival 02
    Evanescence 02
    Maiden Epics (follows Iron Maiden 01)
    Megadeth 01 (follows 2 albums)
    Linkin Park 02
    Paramore 02
    Green Day (received multiple packs and albums previously released in GDRB)

    This was Paramore 01, they only had two on disc songs (That's What You Get and Misery Business), crushcrushcrush in RB1 DLC and Pressure in the Fueled By Ramen pack.

    Also, the first two Green Day packs that came out in RB2 era DLC weren't part of GDRB. They were given to you with the GDRB+ edition as a code, but weren't part of the actual game.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2012
    Nice. Love stats.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Pretty sure Midnight Oil are an Australian band.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    grumblevolcano;4950227 said:
    Lonely Boy was released in August (the 3rd quarter).
    dudemann14;4950239 said:
    Bands Getting Additional Packs:

    Black Keys 02
    Creedence Clearwater Revival 02
    Evanescence 02
    Maiden Epics (follows Iron Maiden 01)
    Megadeth 01 (follows 2 albums)
    Linkin Park 02
    Paramore 02
    Green Day (received multiple packs and albums previously released in GDRB)

    This was Paramore 01, they only had two on disc songs (That's What You Get and Misery Business), crushcrushcrush in RB1 DLC and Pressure in the Fueled By Ramen pack.

    Also, the first two Green Day packs that came out in RB2 era DLC weren't part of GDRB. They were given to you with the GDRB+ edition as a code, but weren't part of the actual game.
    sonicnerd23;4950310 said:
    Pretty sure Midnight Oil are an Australian band.
    Correct on all counts! I will edit shortly. Thanks! Also, before anyone else catches it, I realized B-52s have 2 pro songs.
  • c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Ooooooh, shiny.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    nascargo19;4950226 said:
    Last year there was something like this big mega-post and I planned on getting all the singles from the top 10 (or what ever number it was) list that I didn't have. This year leaves me with these singles. There's 3 of these that I'm not sure why I have not bought yet.

    Well, I'm glad you found last year's post useful as well. I was responsible for that one too. I linked to it at the beginning of this one.
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    I would include Canada in your non-US bands list.

    - The Band
    - Barenaked Ladies
    - Carly Rae Jepsen
    - Three Days Grace
    - Sum 41
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    VolTRH;4950437 said:
    I would include Canada in your non-US bands list.

    - The Band
    - Barenaked Ladies
    - Carly Rae Jepsen
    - Three Days Grace
    - Sum 41

    Hey, you're right! Dunno how I missed that.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2012
    I just wanted to say thank you Queue!
    This is very awesome, i will read through this tomm (I started to but am tired).
    THANK YOU though! gives me something to read in the car tomm! <3!
  • edited December 2012
    I only bought 3 of those best selling RBN songs... it's mostly metal and novelty. People always complain that's what's on there well now they know why, it sells.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    happy to see that Discord (The Living Tombstone Remix) is the 11 best selling RBN song this year :)
  • machetemonkeymachetemonkey Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    The lowest selling list is a little surprising.

    I know super-old artists haven't been the consistently-highest selling ever, but it's surprising to see The Weight so low (although that is also a really recent release).

    Otherwise, the two Smash Mouth songs are the biggest surprises for me. Both those are really well known covers of really well known songs, and I'm shocked they aren't higher.

    Others big artists (AAR, Staind, Dave Matthews Band) make some sense, seeing as they aren't particularly recognizable tracks from them.

    Sad to see my favorite band (QOTSA) on the lowest selling list, but them's the breaks.

    Anyways, interesting list as always. Given all the variables (release date, slightly iffy data sources, etc), specifics should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still a really fun and kind of insightful read.

    I'd also be interested in a "lowest selling RBN" category, but that's admittedly out of a perverse sense of morbid curiosity, and I don't want to disrespect any of the RBN artists.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    I enjoyed last year's thread as well as this one. It's cool to cross reference this with casto's thread, the completing gh thread, and my 2 threads. Maybe I'll actually add to my pro dlc thread and list the bands with the upgrades also(though that info is much easier to get/see).

    Too add some points:

    This is the first full year(-2007) to not have an album release(as green day was previously released in another year).

    It's also the first full year not to feature an artist pack larger than 6 songs, and the second full year not to have at least one artist 12 pack with 2011 being the first.

    This is also the first full year to have only 3 artist packs larger than 3 songs. With albums counted separate:
    2008 had 4 packs with 10 albums
    2009 had 14 packs with 6 albums
    2010 had 24 packs with 8 albums
    2011 had 23 packs with 1 albums
    2012 had 3 packs with 0 albums

    I counted albums that were only missing a song or tracks that would be unplayable in rock band. This means Boston was counted as an album, Spinal Tap's Tap Ten was counted as an album(the other tracks were released not long before it in the same year), and I counted both No Doubt albums. I did not count any rock band best of's as albums(The Who, CCR, Iron Maiden, Billy Joel, The Doors, Bon Jovi, and whoever else).

    You can clearly see the downward trend over the last 2 years and shouldn't expect it to change for 2013.

    Edit:
    A few personal notes:

    I'd love to see more Three Days Grace and Bush, and think there is a decent chance of the happening. I would like more Linkin Park and Sublime, but I don't see it happening sadly with those(most people have the songs they wanted by now).

    Seeing how low Smash Mouth's covers are, I guess there's little chance to get I'm a Believer by them(as I doubt the original is around). Being that we got a Shrek song before I thought it may be possible.
  • b4mvb4mv Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    I love how BEER!! Is the highest selling RBN track.
    Really didn't expect that.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    queuemark;4950210 said:

    DLC by Genre:

    Alternative (21)
    Classic Rock (18)

    Country (3)
    Emo (6)
    Glam (4)
    Grunge (7)
    Indie Rock (6)
    Metal (26)
    New Wave (8)
    Nu-Metal (14)
    Pop/Dance/Electronic (4)
    Pop/Rock (22)
    Punk (4)
    R&B/Soul/Funk (1)
    Reggae/Ska (1)
    Rock (30)
    Southern Rock (4)

    No songs were released as official DLC in the genres Blues, Jazz, Hip-Hop/Rap, or Other (in addition to other genre tags that Harmonix has never used).

    Also 0 Prog.
    VolTRH;4950437 said:
    I would include Canada in your non-US bands list.

    - The Band

    I would not call The Band a non-US band. It is a partially-non-US band (some American members, some Canadian members). If Foreigner isn't listed among the UK-non-US, The Band shouldn't be in the Canadian-non-US.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited December 2012
    b4mv;4950595 said:
    I love how BEER!! Is the highest selling RBN track.
    Really didn't expect that.

    And here I am, still having not bought if for some reason... I need to get on that.

    Anyway, this is a great list. It was an interesting read, and hopefully next year Harmonix will take some of this info in and maybe start releasing more metal and 80's/90's rock.
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    15 songs released before 1980 is pathetic and 0 prog is ridiculous
    I hope the -127 number comes up some this year
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Dangimarocker;4950445 said:
    I just wanted to say thank you Queue!
    This is very awesome, i will read through this tomm (I started to but am tired).
    THANK YOU though! gives me something to read in the car tomm! <3!</div>
    Thanks for the kind words! It took a lot of time, but I really enjoyed doing it.

    "I may not post to the RB forums often, but when I do, something something informative posts, something something Dos Equis guy."
    MagicMurderBag7;4950454 said:
    I only bought 3 of those best selling RBN songs... it's mostly metal and novelty. People always complain that's what's on there well now they know why, it sells.
    Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in the top-selling RBN myself, but people like what they like. And I'll cop to really enjoy "BEER!!" And hey, Reap made it, and some pretty good stuff was just outside the cutoff I posted (I think 1500 in sales) like the other John Parr song and some of the Jerry Naylor stuff.
    firedoom666;4950462 said:
    happy to see that Discord (The Living Tombstone Remix) is the 11 best selling RBN song this year :)

    Yep. That was one of the pieces of DLC that made me raise my eyebrows and feel old.
    machetemonkey;4950470 said:
    The lowest selling list is a little surprising.

    I know super-old artists haven't been the consistently-highest selling ever, but it's surprising to see The Weight so low (although that is also a really recent release).

    Otherwise, the two Smash Mouth songs are the biggest surprises for me. Both those are really well known covers of really well known songs, and I'm shocked they aren't higher.

    Others big artists (AAR, Staind, Dave Matthews Band) make some sense, seeing as they aren't particularly recognizable tracks from them.

    Sad to see my favorite band (QOTSA) on the lowest selling list, but them's the breaks.

    Anyways, interesting list as always. Given all the variables (release date, slightly iffy data sources, etc), specifics should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still a really fun and kind of insightful read.

    I'd also be interested in a "lowest selling RBN" category, but that's admittedly out of a perverse sense of morbid curiosity, and I don't want to disrespect any of the RBN artists.
    Again, thanks for the kind words. A lowest selling RBN category would be a bit depressing to write, because there are a LOT of bands and authoring groups that clearly invested a lot of resources and saw (recorded) sales in the dozens.

    I do the think "the Weight" will rise fairly steadily and I think the other artists you mentioned have other tracks that would have sold significantly higher. I LOVED the song "Gonzo," but its RB release seems a little weird, since I don't think it was even a single. Just about anyone could name DMB and Staind songs that would sell better, but clearly HMX got those due to promotion. The Smashmouth covers...eh, I wasn't surprised. I suspect the cover Bonethug mentioned would have done way better.
    bonethug0108;4950516 said:
    I enjoyed last year's thread as well as this one. It's cool to cross reference this with casto's thread, the completing gh thread, and my 2 threads. Maybe I'll actually add to my pro dlc thread and list the bands with the upgrades also(though that info is much easier to get/see).

    Too add some points:

    This is the first full year(-2007) to not have an album release(as green day was previously released in another year).

    It's also the first full year not to feature an artist pack larger than 6 songs, and the second full year not to have at least one artist 12 pack with 2011 being the first.

    This is also the first full year to have only 3 artist packs larger than 3 songs. With albums counted separate:
    2008 had 4 packs with 10 albums
    2009 had 14 packs with 6 albums
    2010 had 24 packs with 8 albums
    2011 had 23 packs with 1 albums
    2012 had 3 packs with 0 albums

    I counted albums that were only missing a song or tracks that would be unplayable in rock band. This means Boston was counted as an album, Spinal Tap's Tap Ten was counted as an album(the other tracks were released not long before it in the same year), and I counted both No Doubt albums. I did not count any rock band best of's as albums(The Who, CCR, Iron Maiden, Billy Joel, The Doors, Bon Jovi, and whoever else).

    You can clearly see the downward trend over the last 2 years and shouldn't expect it to change for 2013.

    Edit:
    A few personal notes:

    I'd love to see more Three Days Grace and Bush, and think there is a decent chance of the happening. I would like more Linkin Park and Sublime, but I don't see it happening sadly with those(most people have the songs they wanted by now).

    Seeing how low Smash Mouth's covers are, I guess there's little chance to get I'm a Believer by them(as I doubt the original is around). Being that we got a Shrek song before I thought it may be possible.

    Good information! I will integrate much of it at some point. And yes, I relied on a number of threads/sources for this. I will try to link to them as a clearinghouse at some point.

    Personally, I would expect all 4 of those bands you mentioned to return at some point, though not necessarily with full packs.
    LiveHomeVideo;4950602 said:
    And here I am, still having not bought if for some reason... I need to get on that.

    Anyway, this is a great list. It was an interesting read, and hopefully next year Harmonix will take some of this info in and maybe start releasing more metal and 80's/90's rock.

    Thanks for the compliment, but if you notice, I bolded the genres with the most releases, and metal is, in fact, the second most-released genre this year! Of course, if your point was that the metal songs were generally high-selling, that is true, particularly the metal-core and nu-metal-ish songs.

    I think they actually had a pretty good balance of songs by decade, with the sad exception of the 60s and 70s. If anything, songs from the 1980s seems significantly higher than you might expect.

    And of course, if you go just by the stats, they provide a great rationale to release nothing but middle-of-the-road pop. :P
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    thatmarkguy;4950597 said:
    Also 0 Prog.

    I would not call The Band a non-US band. It is a partially-non-US band (some American members, some Canadian members). If Foreigner isn't listed among the UK-non-US, The Band shouldn't be in the Canadian-non-US.

    Yes, Zero prog. I will update that, as well.

    I'm curious, though -- what songs do you think they could release that are in keeping with the new leaner, model of releasing fewer DLC songs while focusing on bigger hits?

    Pink Floyd and Tool seem to be out of reach, and I know the Genesis Hype Train is never far away, but the universe of top-selling progressive rock songs just isn't that big, is it? (I'm thinking King Crimson, the Moody Blues, ELP, Mars Volta, the couple of remaining hits from Dream Theater/Coheed & Cambria...My point is not to diss Prog, but to point out that the pool of genuinely huge artists/songs is pretty shallow).

    As far as the Band being Canadian/American...well, you are right. But didn't they originate in Canada, whereas the Brits in Foreigner got together stateside?
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Rush and Dream Theater are two prog bands I would buy (and have bought) everything from. Other than that I'm not sure.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Cool list - i'm honestly surprised the Linkin Park pack is as far down as it is, perhaps people bought the singles but I thought it was fairly high selling. Also interesting to see Classic Rock releases getting as much as they did this year, some discussion on the forums would make you think they never release any Classic Rock.

    and of course Midnight Oil is Australian! They are listed as New Wave which kind of baffles me, in Australia it would be Classic Rock.
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    metalkorn;4950620 said:
    Cool list - i'm honestly surprised the Linkin Park pack is as far down as it is, perhaps people bought the singles but I thought it was fairly high selling. Also interesting to see Classic Rock releases getting as much as they did this year, some discussion on the forums would make you think they never release any Classic Rock.

    and of course Midnight Oil is Australian! They are listed as New Wave which kind of baffles me, in Australia it would be Classic Rock.

    Classic Rock went from 49 to 18, so we really didn't get that much
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited December 2012
    bonethug0108;4950516 said:
    Seeing how low Smash Mouth's covers are, I guess there's little chance to get I'm a Believer by them(as I doubt the original is around). Being that we got a Shrek song before I thought it may be possible.

    Did you truly mean the original?
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Such a shame to see one of the best songs released this year (In My Head) so low in sales rankings for this year.
    I was really hoping for more QOTSA in the future especially stuff from Songs for the Deaf.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    bonethug0108;4950516 said:

    Seeing how low Smash Mouth's covers are, I guess there's little chance to get I'm a Believer by them(as I doubt the original is around). Being that we got a Shrek song before I thought it may be possible.

    It's all about the Weezer cover. :p
    But this year has also shown some rise in covers, right? I didn't follow DLC pre-2011.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2012
    StackOverflow0x;4950754 said:
    It's all about the Weezer cover. :p
    But this year has also shown some rise in covers, right? I didn't follow DLC pre-2011.
    You mean all 3 we got this year?
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4950651 said:
    Did you truly mean the original?

    I did mean the Monkees' version. As far as which is the original it's kind of open for interpretation. Neil Diamond recorded the song first but the Monkees released their's first(1966, whereas Diamond released his in 1967), thus people heard the Monkees' version first.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    M_Robbins5;4950721 said:
    Such a shame to see one of the best songs released this year (In My Head) so low in sales rankings for this year.
    I was really hoping for more QOTSA in the future especially stuff from Songs for the Deaf.

    I would have bought the QotSA song if it was Scumbag Blues. Or was that by Them Crooked Vultures.
  • machetemonkeymachetemonkey Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    nascargo19;4950951 said:
    I would have bought the QotSA song if it was Scumbag Blues. Or was that by Them Crooked Vultures.

    That's Them Crooked Vultures.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Actually still shocked that there was 0 Prog this year by HMX. Hoping to see a few more 4 packs next year and to see returns of some great artists that have had songs released in the past year or 2 like Coldplay, P.O.D., Dream Theater, BNL, and many more.
Sign In or Register to comment.