What's the best mic for ps3

Str8mayhem84Str8mayhem84 Unsigned
edited January 2013 in Peer To Peer Support Forum
I am shopping for a birthday gift they want a new rock band mic for ps3 and I'm not sure what a good one would be your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    XLR mics, but they can be expensive.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Singstar

Just my opinion.. been using it for 3 years and OD is easy for it. :D
    edited December 2012
    If you're into growling/etc and still want the right pitch to register, you're better off with an XLR mic than a USB one. If you don't I don't think it matters.

XLR mics are quality, studio mics. USB mics are for mr/mrs everybody. It all depends on what you want to do with it I guess. USB mics does not register the right pitch when growling (unless you have an exceptionnally rare voice)
    edited December 2012
    Alternity;4951421 said:
    If you're into growling/etc and still want the right pitch to register, you're better off with an XLR mic than a USB one. If you don't I don't think it matters.

XLR mics are quality, studio mics. USB mics are for mr/mrs everybody. It all depends on what you want to do with it I guess. USB mics does not register the right pitch when growling (unless you have an exceptionnally rare voice)

But why spend the money, if it's just RB & a birthday gift?
    They need something that will get OD working every time and have fun...
    Singstar is designed for singers... and the work way better than RB mics.

XLR mics are great.. I use them in my studio... I wouldn't use them for RB...
    RB is not designed for those types of mics. trust me.. I know. :D

Save your money and go with RB mics or Singstar.. they will love it and the dual pack for Singstar is great for harmonies. :)

Just my opinion.. :cool:
    edited December 2012
    But then again if he's into growling, USB mics really sucks for that kind of singing, so it really depends on him.
  • MackieMackie Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    intropee said:

XLR mics are great.. I use them in my studio... I wouldn't use them for RB...
    RB is not designed for those types of mics. trust me.. I know. :D
    Could you please elaborate on this? Because I beg to differ.

The standard Logitech mics use the same tech that's in their PC voice chat microphones. There not designed for a wide range of vocal frequency input. In my experience, the Logitech USB mics have a sweet spot for people with certain singing voices, preferably altos and tenors.

So people with singing voices that don't fall in to that sweet spot typically will have to a harder time keeping their multiplyer up. These will usually include people with deep voices, harsh or raspy voices, or growlers like alternity mentioned.

Ever since I made the switch to Xlr, the difference has been night and day as far as game recognition is concerned. I no longer was forced to sing in falsetto just so I could maintain my multiplier (I have a deep voice).
    I will say though, that Xlr mics wouldn't necessarily make u sound better, it's more about a better gameplay experience.

One major drawback to Xlr mics is the need for a Xlr to USB adapter, which are usually sold separately. Sometimes they can be as expensive as the mic itself, especially if you're looking for one that's pre-amped. If you don't get one that's pre-amped you won't be able to hear yourself through your TV's speakers like you would with the standard game microphones. It would still work with the game, but your singing wont be amplified by the game. And that could suck, especially if you like hearing yourself with pitch correction on.
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    One major drawback to Xlr mics is the need for a Xlr to USB adapter, which are usually sold separately. Sometimes they can be as expensive as the mic itself, especially if you're looking for one that's pre-amped. If you don't get one that's pre-amped you won't be able to hear yourself through your TV's speakers like you would with the standard game microphones. It would still work with the game, but your singing wont be amplified by the game. And that could suck, especially if you like hearing yourself with pitch correction on.
    I've already a XLR mike, can you suggest me a good adapter cable? Thanks ^_^
    edited December 2012
    Mackie;4951647 said:
    Could you please elaborate on this? Because I beg to differ.

The standard Logitech mics use the same tech that's in their PC voice chat microphones. There not designed for a wide range of vocal frequency input. In my experience, the Logitech USB mics have a sweet spot for people with certain singing voices, preferably altos and tenors.

So people with singing voices that don't fall in to that sweet spot typically will have to a harder time keeping their multiplyer up. These will usually include people with deep voices, harsh or raspy voices, or growlers like alternity mentioned.

Ever since I made the switch to Xlr, the difference has been night and day as far as game recognition is concerned. I no longer was forced to sing in falsetto just so I could maintain my multiplier (I have a deep voice).
    I will say though, that Xlr mics wouldn't necessarily make u sound better, it's more about a better gameplay experience.

Very interesting... I will look into this and thank you for pointing this out to me. :D
    I stand corrected.
    edited December 2012
    tati81;4951992 said:
    I've already a XLR mike, can you suggest me a good adapter cable? Thanks ^_^

Well like I said the one I have is a cheap RadioShack one. It's not pre amped so, my voice isn't amplified through the game, so I wouldn't recommend mine.

The one I would recommend is the one fellow forum member Icemage actually endorses. It's called the .Icicle . It's pre-amped and even has a gain adjustment on the adapter itself. It's $40, so it's not too bad.

Keep in mind, that is just the adapter. You still need a long USB cable, usually the USB to mini USB kind
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Mackie;4952181 said:
    Well like I said the one I have is a cheap RadioShack one. It's not pre amped so, my voice isn't amplified through the game, so I wouldn't recommend mine.

The one I would recommend is the one fellow forum member Icemage actually endorses. It's called the .Icicle . It's pre-amped and even has a gain adjustment on the adapter itself. It's $40, so it's not too bad.

Keep in mind, that is just the adapter. You still need a long USB cable, usually the USB to mini USB kind
    Note: The Blue Icicle XLR-USB adapter only works on the PS3 as far as I know, but if you are on the PS3, it's definitely a fantastic purchase. It's simple to use, requires no other parts aside from a USB-to-mini-USB cable (same thing as a PS3 controller charging cable), and lets you use any XLR microphone you like with great sound quality.
    edited December 2012
    Thanks guys.. I ordered 2... :)
    edited January 2013
    Guys you're the best thank you so much!
    edited January 2013
    intropee;4952669 said:
    Thanks guys.. I ordered 2... :)

You be sure to let us know how'd they work out for ya once you get them ya hear?
    edited January 2013
    I got them today.. will give the review after I use them tonight.. :D
    edited January 2013
    Ok.. here's my review of The Blue Icicle XLR-USB adapter:

Good News first:

Easy as heck to hook up! :D
    Used one of my Shure microphones and I GoldStar : ¿Viva la Gloria? (Little Girl) 100% :cool:
    There was no effort doing it with this adapter and my Shure mic. :p
    Tried a few others and I didn't finish them.. just was testing..
    Worked great!!!

Now the Bad News:

No matter how I tried, I couldn't hear myself unless I turn the vocal track just about off. :(
    or turning the mic all the way up with the vocal track still 3/4 down.
    I don't have to do it with Sing star or RB mics.:mad:

Conclusion:

I don't care.. this is still a awesome piece of equipment!
    The Blue Icicle XLR-USB adapter rocks in my book. :cool:
  • edited January 2013
    I believe this is still the cheapest way to get pro audio working in RB:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164773

Besides, if you are going pro, you wont need those old stock mics anyway so make a cowbell too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijGfh79li4
    edited January 2013
    Oh man I totally forgot about docs mod. Dang it doc, why would you bring it up a free solution right after the man bought two adapters.

Anyways I'm glad too hear you're satisfied with the adapter and that you've changed your view on using pro audio equipment in rb3.
    edited January 2013
    intropee;4955800 said:
    Ok.. here's my review of The Blue Icicle XLR-USB adapter:

Good News first:

Easy as heck to hook up! :D
    Used one of my Shure microphones and I GoldStar : ¿Viva la Gloria? (Little Girl) 100% :cool:
    There was no effort doing it with this adapter and my Shure mic. :p
    Tried a few others and I didn't finish them.. just was testing..
    Worked great!!!

Now the Bad News:

No matter how I tried, I couldn't hear myself unless I turn the vocal track just about off. :(
    or turning the mic all the way up with the vocal track still 3/4 down.
    I don't have to do it with Sing star or RB mics.:mad:

Conclusion:

I don't care.. this is still a awesome piece of equipment!
    The Blue Icicle XLR-USB adapter rocks in my book. :cool:

Do you try a song with tambourine too? Does it function?
    edited January 2013
    tati81;4956087 said:
    Do you try a song with tambourine too? Does it function?
    I can answer this one. Tambourine works fine, though I'm always a little leery of banging on a $100+ microphone.

@intropee: There's a gain dial on the Icicle that controls the pre-amp (behind the "Icicle" logo) that will help. Turn it all the way clockwise to crank the volume, then with the Icicle connected, go into the XMB -> Settings > Audio Devices and crank the mic volume for the Blue Icicle to 5. That makes the mic audio nice and loud, and you can just adjust it down if need be using the dial without affecting other devices.
    edited January 2013
    Icemage;4956121 said:
    I can answer this one. Tambourine works fine, though I'm always a little leery of banging on a $100+ microphone.

@intropee: There's a gain dial on the Icicle that controls the pre-amp (behind the "Icicle" logo) that will help. Turn it all the way clockwise to crank the volume, then with the Icicle connected, go into the XMB -> Settings > Audio Devices and crank the mic volume for the Blue Icicle to 5. That makes the mic audio nice and loud, and you can just adjust it down if need be using the dial without affecting other devices.

Answer to first question... I say boom every time I have to do Tambourine, because I usual drum at the same time. :D

Thanks Icemage... That's what happen when you don't read the instructions.. DOH!:rolleyes:
    edited January 2013
    Doc_SoCal;4955814 said:
    I believe this is still the cheapest way to get pro audio working in RB:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164773

Besides, if you are going pro, you wont need those old stock mics anyway so make a cowbell too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijGfh79li4

Too late.. oh well..:(
    edited January 2013
    I can't tell you how much I love this Adapter.. TY Ice again.. totally worth the money. :D
    edited January 2013
    I have to buy it at some point.
    edited January 2013
    intropee;4959303 said:
    I can't tell you how much I love this Adapter.. TY Ice again.. totally worth the money. :D
    Yeah, I love the Icicle. I bought it on a gamble (because the only known information about it at the time was that it DIDN'T work with the 360), and found out it works beautifully on the PS3 once you fix the audio settings.

It's not super-cheap, but it's way less than other USB/XLR pre-amps, it's extremely easy to set up and use, and you don't need anything special for it. If you have an XLR mic, you doubtless have a decently long XLR cable for it so there's really no need for a super-long USB-mini-USB cable.
    edited January 2013
    Icemage;4959559 said:
    Yeah, I love the Icicle. I bought it on a gamble (because the only known information about it at the time was that it DIDN'T work with the 360), and found out it works beautifully on the PS3 once you fix the audio settings.

It's not super-cheap, but it's way less than other USB/XLR pre-amps, it's extremely easy to set up and use, and you don't need anything special for it. If you have an XLR mic, you doubtless have a decently long XLR cable for it so there's really no need for a super-long USB-mini-USB cable.

It works flawlessly, I put my windscreen on and it makes it all, much better.
    With the mic cable on.. I can move all over the place, while the adapter is close by the PS3.
    The gain is mint and I just love to be able to use my Shure mic.
    I'm in heaven and with the windscreen on.. a light tap and BAM! Star power when I'm just singing alone. I still do BOOM though, mic to expensive :D
    edited January 2013
    intropee;4960331 said:
    It works flawlessly, I put my windscreen on and it makes it all, much better.
    With the mic cable on.. I can move all over the place, while the adapter is close by the PS3.
    The gain is mint and I just love to be able to use my Shure mic.
    I'm in heaven and with the windscreen on.. a light tap and BAM! Star power when I'm just singing alone. I still do BOOM though, mic to expensive :D
    I use it with my Shure Beta 58A and it comes out with beautiful clarity when connected either to my PS3 or to my PC.
    edited January 2013
    Icemage;4960352 said:
    I use it with my Shure Beta 58A and it comes out with beautiful clarity when connected either to my PS3 or to my PC.

I have the SM58 & KSM9.. but I don't use it in RB (KSM9), just the SM58.
    The Beta 58A is a awesome mic also. But it's amazing, the clarity that happens when these mics are hooked up to RB.. freaking awesome. :D
    Almost makes me want to just sing only!!! :rolleyes:
    NOT!!!:p LOL
    But it's Shure is tempting :cool:
    edited January 2013
    edited January 2013
    tati81;4961214 said:
    I have this one

Nice Tati!! :D