What Happened to Flame Notes In Rockband Blitz?????

cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
edited September 2013 in Rock Band Blitz
I get on today and the servers are down. The servers come back on and the scoring is all screwed up. Flames notes are only giving half of what they use to. Who knows what else might have changed.

Basically unless someone fixes this there is no point to play this game again. There is no way any previous score can be passed with the scoring as it is now. It would be great if someone would fix this.

***QUICK LINKS TO OFFICIAL HMX RESPONSES***

Post #1 on 12/27
Post #2 on 12/27
Post #3 on 12/28
Post #4 on 12/31
Post #5 on 12/31 with questions
Post #6 with current status

Comments

• Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2012
    They might be mid-update.
  • PedroRVDPedroRVD Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    This is a very difficult decision for Harmonix and I support them. It should have been like this since the beginning ...but things like this happen.

Maybe they can detect which power up was used for each score saved on the leaderboards and cut each score by a percentage if flame was used....that may be too much work.

I just hope they DONT RESET THE LEADERBOARDS.

I have invested more than 400 hours to play more than 1500 songs and Im not doing that again...I want to start playing RB3 again when I have played every song on blitz :confused:
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited December 2012
    I already got the GS on Child In Time and the Meat Loaf song and I rarely use Flame Notes in favor of Blast Notes, so I don't really care about the nerf

However this makes the Through the Fire and Flame Notes goal impossible and that sucks
  • MaximusDMMaximusDM Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    PedroRVD;4951597 said:
    This is a very difficult decision for Harmonix and I support them. It should have been like this since the beginning ...but things like this happen.

I completely disagree. Nerfing ANYTHING is absurd and I expressed GREAT concern for it when they buffed super instruments and sync. And now here we are with my worst fear come to fruition.

Jackpot Flamenotes was the ultimate risk reward system. Now its a joke and the reward is there to support the risk. the only way many of the high scores can be beaten now is if you are program a robot to play a perfect pinball for the song.

Its like me and others got good at playing the game and then HMX just throws it all out the window by changing the rules. And it shouldn't only bother me, but it concerns everyone else with leaderboard scores that no one will be able to hit ever.

There were better ways of combating illegit bandmate/flame abuse.
    And this was not it.

If anything I expected them to buff everything else. This isn't like a fighting game where something is nerfed and you readjust your playstyle around it, this is a leaderboard score based game.
    Anyone could have beaten any of my scores using the same exact loadout I did.
    Anyone. And that's the difference.
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    I find it highly unlikely they did this as an update the day after Christmas. Plus they would have to reset the leaderboards if they were going to make this change. Plus they didn't announce anything.

My guess. The graveyard shift is working day after Christmas. Servers went down. Something went wrong when getting servers back up. I just hope they care enough about this game still to fix this and it doesn't take to long. We will see.
  • MaximusDMMaximusDM Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4951619 said:
    I find it highly unlikely they did this as an update the day after Christmas. Plus they would have to reset the leaderboards if they were going to make this change. Plus they didn't announce anything.

My guess. The graveyard shift is working day after Christmas. Servers went down. Something went wrong when getting servers back up. I just hope they care enough about this game still to fix this and it doesn't take to long. We will see.
    They didn't announce the re-balancing of power-ups the first time either, they waited until users came here and posted their findings before acknowledging buffs. And even then, they didn't give exact value changes. That was up to the players to figure out.

Did it ever occur to you that the servers went down BECAUSE they were making this change.
    I don't know how you can relate a server malfunction to completely changing the value of a power-up. It was done deliberately.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited December 2012
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Well Bandmate/Flame was a little bit ridiculous before, but nerfing the flame notes like this was not the way. They should have buffed Blitz Mode or some of the other powerups. Like what about buffing Runaway Notes to 25k per catch? It would be a competent powerup then. Even Bottle Rocket could have been buffed, but this patch just gave me and many other players the giant finger of all the scores i worked hard to get. I grinded the setlist so much trying to develop my jackpot/flame skill, and now it's completely worthless.

and Jackpot/Flame notes were only king on certain songs which is normal for a game like this. I was able to beat many jack/flame scores on songs without using flame notes. It was balanced and the crazy scores was a result of skill of being able to hit every note and catch flames without making a mistake. I view that as a vaild skill set. Now it's completely useless and you have to be good at jack/flame to even GOLD STAR songs like Sing. I wonder if I can even GS Shout now with jack/flame. I doubt it

EDIT 2: Yup got 511k on Shout with Jackpot/Flame/Super Vocals which is the same combo I used on my 1st place score on PSN which is like 280k higher than what i just got now.
    edited December 2012
    MaximusDM;4951625 said:
    They didn't announce the re-balancing of power-ups the first time either, they waited until users came here and posted their findings before acknowledging buffs. And even then, they didn't give exact value changes. That was up to the players to figure out.

Did it ever occur to you that the servers went down BECAUSE they were making this change.
    I don't know how you can relate a server malfunction to completely changing the value of a power-up. It was done deliberately.

Yes everything you mentioned accrued to me. However if you do some quick math you would realize that very few top scores could be beaten with this change. So if they have done this than they are not very smart. There would be no reason to play the game any longer.

So its logic that tells me this was a mistake.
    edited December 2012
    lol Says the guy who creates an account today just to tell me that. I wonder what that says about someone like you? But than again I would expect nothing less from a Redskins fan. They are used to losing.
    edited December 2012
    I'm assuming there is a post that was initially there that you replied to and then was deleted because otherwise this thread just went totally sane
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited December 2012
    HeyRiles;4951663 said:
    I'm assuming there is a post that was initially there that you replied to and then was deleted because otherwise this thread just went totally sane

Yup there was a post here calling Cowboys a nerd and said nobody cared about him and ended it with him yelling about the Redskins and the Cowboys.
    edited December 2012
    HeyRiles;4951663 said:

Yes it looks the Mods have deleted it. My first experience on these forums and it's nice to see these forums are well moderated.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited December 2012
    It was somebody with just one post saying "lol loser posting this is pointless because HMX aren't going to do anything" or something like that. When the trolling is that obvious, it's best to just report it and move on.
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4951668 said:
    Yes it looks the Mods have deleted it. My first experience on these forums and it's nice to see these forums are well moderated.

Well it's not like they can catch every picture involving bananas around here
  • Mircosoft93Mircosoft93 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    please reset the leaderboards
    edited December 2012
    Is there a way to, like, reset the leaderboards, but not delete our star count? Because all I've cared about lately is my gold star count
  • singemfrcsingemfrc Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    At this point they really need to reset the leaderboards. As bad as it might seem to those (like me) who have played a lot of unique songs, it's better than leaving scores on the leaderboards which are now unattainable.

There are a couple songs (Child In Time, Madness) which after the update are now probably not possible to get gold stars on. (Bonus for me since Ive played so many songs they will soon delete my star data in game and I wont be able to get it back due to this update! Yay!)

As a result of this the scoring system is now a complete snafu. They need to also fix the bandmate/flame exploit and then reset the leaderboards. Only then will I have any desire to play this game again.
  • ArandomrbplayerArandomrbplayer Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    3 words; this is bull.

I don't like this change, not one bit. Yes, more blast notes are added in but SERIOUSLY? Flame notes were relied on for getting high scores, and now with the value of the Flame Notes decrease, not only is it going to be hard , if not flat out IMPOSSIBLE to gold star some songs (The Complexity of Light, Child in Time), but unless you are a god at Pinball, TONS of scores will now be broken, and impossible to beat. There's only two options I want from this, either they change it back to the way it was before, or they reset the leaderboards (which will piss a lot of people off considering it might have taken ages for them to get a 1st place), and they change some of the cutoffs on some songs to compensate for this change.
    edited December 2012
    Mircosoft93;4951678 said:
    please reset the leaderboards

Unfortunately they will have to reset the leaderboards if they nerfed this on purpose. Most scores can not be passed now with any build. I should know as I cannot pass any of my own scores which are on the top of the songs I play.

If this change stays and they do not reset the leaderboards there is no point to play the game anymore. People play to pass their high scores. Now its not possible.

They should have left it they way it was. No matter what the power ups do the same people will be on the top of the boards. You do not get to the top because you are the only one using Flame notes. Everyone can use them. You get to the top by being good.
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4951704 said:
    They should have left it they way it was.
    no, they shouldn't. I'm happy they did something against the band/flame exploit. I don't even care if there are now songs that are nearly impossible to GS (CiT, Tuesdays Gone...), but as you've said already many scores are now basically unbeatable (except maybe with pinball/sync) and highscore hunting is the only thing that motivates me to play Blitz
  • MasterMoMasterMo Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    So, I guess I probably have to take a large part of the blame for this, huh?

I'll be the first to admit that flame notes were ridiculously overpowered. Be it bandmate or jackpot as a companion to it, they were pretty much the best option on almost every song. So I, and many other, used flame notes. Is that not what we are supposed to do? Is the point of the game not to get the highest score possible?

So now flame notes have been nerfed. I have not played the game since this change occured, and probably won't tonight, but it seems like flame notes are now pretty worthless. Now, I'm probably a bit biased, but was this drastic a nerf necessary to fix the perceived problem? Is this at all the best way to go about fixing it?

The power ups were not balanced, and this change doesn't fix that. The best note powerup is now going to be blast notes, because lord knows runaway notes are worthless and pinball is too volatile to be used well consistently. Overdrive powerups like bottle rocket or even road rage pale in comparison to jackpot. So what does this change fix? Something needed to be changed, sure, but that change should have come as buffs to other powerups and blitz mode.

Yeah, it's possible to mash with bandmate/flame to get good scores. The thing is, no one seemed to be doing that. I got good at bandmate/flame legitimately, and I've posted a number of videos that I hope proves that. This nerf changes that, but in the meantime makes most of the top scores, obtained legitimately, completely unbreakable. Maybe you question the idea of "two notes, one timing window" as legitimate play, but this nerf doesn't fix that, and the new top scores are still going to be ones that can utilize that strategy to accumulate extra overdrive and hit extra notes.

So what do you do about the leaderboards? Do you reset them entirely and punish everyone including those who did nothing "wrong?" Do you reset just people like me and send a middle finger to long-time customers because you don't like the way they learned to play the game? Either way, you piss off a lot of people, more than you make happy with this change.

This seems like a knee-jerk reaction to a situation that is perceived as worse than it really was.
    edited December 2012
    Mircosoft93;4951713 said:
    no, they shouldn't. I'm happy they did something against the band/flame exploit. I don't even care if there are now songs that are nearly impossible to GS (CiT, Tuesdays Gone...), but as you've said already many scores are now basically unbeatable (except maybe with pinball/sync) and highscore hunting is the only thing that motivates me to play Blitz

If they did this to fix the Bandmate/Flame expliot thats one thing but it destroyed the best combo in the game. That was Jackpot/Flame. Yes it was inconsistent but you still needed skill to get a top score using that combo.

The fix is simple yet probably complicated for Harmonix to do. Flame notes should not be random but consistent. That takes the luck out of it and leaves it to pure skill.

But if they are going to nerf the Flames they need to reset the leaderboards because like you the only reason to play is to get the high score. To many high scores are now no longer possible.

The Bandmate/Flame affected so few songs. I just don't understand the logic in this decision.
  • S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited December 2012
    Yeah... I'm pretty much done with this as well then if that's a) intentional and b) permanent. I've played just about all the songs in my library, have held on to a first overall slot on the leaderboards for most of the time, and don't really have much incentive to go back and replay the songs to try to get higher scores when it'll be impossible now that flame notes give just over 1/5th of their previous value.

Hope you fix it, guys.
  • PedroRVDPedroRVD Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    So, if they reset the leaderboards...and somebody somehow finds another exploit, will everybody be asking for the leaderboards to be wiped out again?

This is not the right thing to do.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    PedroRVD;4951738 said:
    So, if they reset the leaderboards...and somebody somehow finds another exploit, will everybody be asking for the leaderboards to be wiped out again?

This is not the right thing to do.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT.

Either they rebuff flame notes to 1.5k points each again or they reset the leaderboards completely. They can't leave it like this where many of the top scores are impossible to beat and the entire leaderboards are completely worthless now.

I'd rather have all the scores on the leaderboards be after the patch if they really insist on the flame note nerf. Otherwise revert flame notes to their original value. Flame notes are completely worthless now. They are even worse than Runaway Notes.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Well this is just silly. Just happy I am such a noob that I only use Road Rage/Blast Notes most of the time, but still this is very silly.
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4951721 said:
    If they did this to fix the Bandmate/Flame expliot thats one thing but it destroyed the best combo in the game. That was Jackpot/Flame. Yes it was inconsistent but you still needed skill to get a top score using that combo.

The fix is simple yet probably complicated for Harmonix to do. Flame notes should not be random but consistent. That takes the luck out of it and leaves it to pure skill.

But if they are going to nerf the Flames they need to reset the leaderboards because like you the only reason to play is to get the high score. To many high scores are now no longer possible.

The Bandmate/Flame affected so few songs. I just don't understand the logic in this decision.

Jack/blast needs skill too, pinball/sync needs skill as well
    I used jack/flame all the time it's just a matter of getting used to new power-up combos, I mean, wouldn't it be ideal if there are lots of power-up combos to choose for getting high scores, that's the reason why HMX put that many power-ups in the game in the first place I guess. This nerf might be helpful then.

On a side note I find it funny how MasterMo is the guy moaning the most
  • MasterMoMasterMo Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    You have an odd idea of what moaning looks like, my friend. That's criticism of a decision that I don't think was a wise one. Certainly, I have a lot to lose in regards to the nerf and what happens to my leaderboard scores, but at the end of the day it's just a video game. If HMX decides/has decided they don't like the way I play their game and want to ensure I can't do that any longer, then so be it. I'll find another game to spend my time and money on.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited December 2012
    Wiping the leaderboards make things worse for 99% of people who only pay attention to friends leaderboards, if that, and even the hardcore players aren't going to get #1 on every song. That's just impossible.

I'm hoping this is accidental and/or reversed, because it changed the game from button-mashing as the only way to win a score war with someone who does the same to button-mashing as the only way to get any use out of flame notes.