What Happened to Flame Notes In Rockband Blitz?????

Comments

  • PedroRVDPedroRVD Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    That's why the guys that said nothing should be nerfed / Blitz mode should be drastically buffed...etc... are right.

    Or, well, if they reset the leaderboards, at least keep our Career Scores alive. THAT would be the most pacific solution. I wonder if it is actually possible to do that. (I guess it is not because it's the sum of all scores)
  • Mircosoft93Mircosoft93 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    PedroRVD;4952021 said:
    That's why the guys that said nothing should be nerfed / Blitz mode should be drastically buffed...etc... are right.
    buffing Blitz mode wouldn't change anything, because the best players are able to switch between two lanes while beeing constantly in Blitz mode
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    This is a classic case of the cure being worse than the disease.

    I believe Harmonix's instincts were correct in the initial round of tweaks by not nerfing anything. I would agree with everything MaximusDM has said on that subject, but I would also add that not only does this make the existing leaderboards untenable, it has a dramatic effect even on users' personal score chasing. I believe most people would be able to tolerate the occasional ridiculous top scores due to Bandmate/Flame exploiting, provided that their own PERSONAL high scores could still be attained using the same methods they had used previously.

    I can't say how disheartening it was to come home last night, pop into Blitz, put down what I felt was a nearly perfect Jackpot/Flame run on one of my favorite songs, only to discover that not only did I not score very high on the overall leaderboard, but that I couldn't even beat the score I posted like a week after the game came out using a newbie combo like Road Rage/Blast Notes.

    In my 600+ hours of playing Blitz, one of the most satisfying elements of the whole process was developing skill at the more nuanced aspects of the game and improving my technique to the point where I could use an advanced combo like Jackpot/Flame and be rewarded with scores that absolutely dwarfed those that I achieved on the same songs with less skill-oriented combos like Road Rage/Blast. I found myself having so much more fun with the game using that high risk/high reward combo that even if the leaderboards get reset, I simply will not feel as accomplished or enjoy the game nearly as much if such high-skill combos are not as lucrative as they were before.

    I suspect the reason Harmonix resorted to nerfing Flame notes instead of simply stopping flame spreading past a certain ridiculous threshold is that the latter would have required a software patch, and that would be expensive and difficult to implement by comparison. But like I said before, this cure is flatly worse than the mild effects of the exploit. It completely ruins the game for people who were using Flame notes legitimately.

    I suggested in the initial thread about this that the way to combat the true exploit (button mashing) would be to leave everything else alone but substantially buff Blitz mode. I stand by that solution 100%. The best part about it is that it would only noticeably affect those who are particularly skilled at the game on the high end. Those who weren't getting much from Blitz mode might see a marginal increase, but there is nothing but good to come from rewarding flawless play.

    But at the very least, I urge Harmonix in the strongest possible terms to roll back this change as soon as possible. It punishes pretty much everyone across the entire spectrum of ability. Even those who have no interest or desire to compete for the absolute top spot on songs are now faced with the possibility of never having any chance to beat their own scores posted when they were noobs. Without the personal score chasing aspect, the game will die a quick death.

    My proposed solutions in order of my personal preference:

    1) Roll back the flame nerf, and substantially buff Blitz mode to address the button-mashing Bandmate/Flame exploit. This way people who are playing two lanes simultaneously but can do so without breaking Blitz mode often are rewarded for their legitimate skill, and those who are button mashing will be severely punished.

    2) Roll back the flame nerf, and do nothing else.

    3) Reset the leaderboards for all songs.

    4) through 998) ???????

    999) Leave things as they are now.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Mircosoft93;4952023 said:
    buffing Blitz mode wouldn't change anything, because the best players are able to switch between two lanes while beeing constantly in Blitz mode

    I don't care about that at all. If the best players can stay in Blitz mode while playing every note in two lanes simultaneously, then they absolutely deserve every point they can get. The exploit is that the same effect can be achieved without substantial penalty by people who just frantically button mash while switching between two lanes.

    Buffing Blitz mode would penalize the button mashers significantly. And in general it would reward clean play in a way the game doesn't really do to much of an extent now, which I also think is a good thing.
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Just want to double check here: Has there been any kind of "official word" on this yet?

    This doesn't affect me at all, since I play the game very casually. I almost always do bottle rocket-blast-super instrument, and then let my young son grab a 2nd controller to shoot the bottle rockets for me. Very rarely even crack the top 100 this way. But I can see why you hard core highly skilled players are righteously pissed about this.
  • PedroRVDPedroRVD Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Epsilon82;4952043 said:
    I don't care about that at all. If the best players can stay in Blitz mode while playing every note in two lanes simultaneously, then they absolutely deserve every point they can get. The exploit is that the same effect can be achieved without substantial penalty by people who just frantically button mash while switching between two lanes.

    Buffing Blitz mode would penalize the button mashers significantly. And in general it would reward clean play in a way the game doesn't really do to much of an extent now, which I also think is a good thing.

    Exactly. Pretty much this.
  • DarkSoulGamer94DarkSoulGamer94 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    This is worst than The Bee shield nerf in Borderlands 2
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    There is no point in even trying to hit all the notes anymore. Might as well as try to catch the pinball because that's the only high scoring method that outclasses Road Rage/Blast on many songs. It's really really stupid that Road Rage/Blast is actually the best combo for medium length songs now if you don't use pinball. Before Flame Notes were the skill based powerup that the hardcore players used.. whether it was jackpot or bandmate, this was the powerup that everyone used to get really high scores, and the skill required was substantially higher than any of the other powerups maybe except Runaway notes. Road Rage/Blast should not be stronger than Jack/Flame.

    Also why are Runaway Notes so weak? They are also very skill based and demand you keeping up with lane shifting and staying in blitz notes to catch the runaway note but all you get is a lame 10k when a full bar of Road Rage can get you that with a tap of a button.

    Learn the difference between skill and balance. The easiest to use powerups should not be the strongest. Rebuff flame notes and also buff Runaway Notes to 25k per catch or something. Actually add Runaway Notes to the metagame because right now they are nothing but a joke. The only time any top player would use Runaway Notes is if they are doing a Runaway Note goal or a specific challenge that requires that powerup. Now Flame Notes are in the exact same category as Runaway. High skill and no reward.
  • edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4951792 said:
    I am baffled by this decision which is why I can only rationalize this as a mistake. If these people understood the community in their game they would have never done this. A decision like this would prove how out of touch they are with their own game. A decision like this goes against everything they have done previously. Which is why this has to be a mistake.
    Just want to make a quick post here (with a lengthier planned announcement coming later today) apologizing for the delayed response. We're running on a skeleton crew during the holiday and it wasn't entirely clear that this change was going to take effect without anyone on hand to message. So my apologies for that, the intent certainly wasn't to surprise anyone with this.

    And, to provide a bit of additional context (again, with more coming later today), there are a number of other factors at play here which likely aren't immediately clear. We'll provide as much info as we can in just a bit, but please trust that we'll continue to listen, track all feedback, and pass things up the chain. Thanks for sitting tight, we'll have more info posted later today.
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    hmxhenry;4952121 said:
    Just want to make a quick post here (with a lengthier planned announcement coming later today) apologizing for the delayed response. We're running on a skeleton crew during the holiday and it wasn't entirely clear that this change was going to take effect without anyone on hand to message. So my apologies for that, the intent certainly wasn't to surprise anyone with this.

    And, to provide a bit of additional context (again, with more coming later today), there are a number of other factors at play here which likely aren't immediately clear. We'll provide as much info as we can in just a bit, but please trust that we'll continue to listen, track all feedback, and pass things up the chain. Thanks for sitting tight, we'll have more info posted later today.
    Thank you for a response. I will wait for the full statement later. This does sadly confirm my fear that this was done intentional and was not a mistake.

    I can only assume the effects of the decision were considered. The whole point of this game is to best peoples high scores. This is now no longer possible. Myself and many many others no longer have a reason to play this game. I hope the later announcement explains this factor.

    The overwhelming response and views to this thread prove to me just how much this change has negatively effected Blitz. Hopefully your statement will help us all understand the reasons behind this drastic decision.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    i'm sure the new leaderboard RBWorld functionality is part of the reason behind changes that are happening.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    So you ruin the gameplay of Rock Band Blitz just so you can have an event that is only available for a percentage of your market base which is US players only? Wow..yeah I am done with this game. It was a fun ride.
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    zage1337;4952265 said:
    So you ruin the gameplay of Rock Band Blitz just so you can have an event that is only available for a percentage of your market base which is US players only? Wow..yeah I am done with this game. It was a fun ride.

    Not only that Zage but they are almost forcing people to use Facebook to play the game. That makes me very upset. I have spent a lot of money on Blitz. It is starting to look like that was a mistake.

    I have NO desire to mix my Facebook world and Rockband world. Not only that but I have never downloaded an App for Facebook of any kind and never will. I don't trust any of it. Blitz was my first introduction to Rock Band and I was really impressed with Harmonix. If all this is true I will have to rethink where I spend my money.

    I am starting to think that they have some type of marketing deal going on here. Selling your information for those who sign up through Facebook. Make sure all of you read all terms of Service and be well aware of what they are doing with your information.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    zage1337;4952265 said:
    So you ruin the gameplay of Rock Band Blitz just so you can have an event that is only available for a percentage of your market base which is US players only? Wow..yeah I am done with this game. It was a fun ride.
    Let's not jump to any conclusions quite yet. I'm going to give Harmonix the benefit of assuming that they wouldn't set a torch to their own game for such a silly reason, at least until they come out and say so themselves.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4952272 said:


    I have NO desire to mix my Facebook world and Rockband world. Not only that but I have never downloaded an App for Facebook of any kind and never will. I don't trust any of it. Blitz was my first introduction to Rock Band and I was really impressed with Harmonix. If all this is true I will have to rethink where I spend my money.

    I am starting to think that they have some type of marketing deal going on here. Selling your information for those who sign up through Facebook. Make sure all of you read all terms of Service and be well aware of what they are doing with your information.
    Now that is some serious paranoia right there. You are missing out on what makes Blitz great without any of the recent changes if you are not using RB World. I now take your criticisms with a grain of salt.
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    metalkorn;4952282 said:
    Now that is some serious paranoia right there. You are missing out on what makes Blitz great without any of the recent changes if you are not using RB World. I now take your criticisms with a grain of salt.

    You call it Paranoia I call it common sense. Some of us work in the real business world and are well aware of the landscape that is out there. But like I said simply read any terms of service their lawyers put out. But you sound like someone who signs up for anything and does not read what they are giving up when they sign up. To each their own.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Cowboys282, to address what you said in that other thread that got locked, let me be perfectly clear: I have no beef with what MasterMO or other legitimate Band/Flame players do. I saw MasterMo play and he is legitimately playing both lanes without dropping Blitz mode inordinately, which requires a massive amount of skill. If Harmonix buffed Blitz mode, players like him would only be further rewarded, not punished.

    The potential for button mashers to do basically the same thing, though, is a different story. That's just abuse. That's the only reason I'd suggest buffing Blitz mode. But it's obvious we're on the same page here in terms of the larger picture. I would much, much rather Harmonix just roll this back to the way it was two days ago and leave well enough alone than continue with the present configuration. I was right in the middle of replacing all of my crappy Road Rage/Blast Notes scores with Jackpot/Flame now that I'm not a noob, and it's depressing beyond belief that now I have basically no chance of even matching my noob runs unless I go back to using the noob combo.
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Epsilon82;4952297 said:
    Cowboys282, to address what you said in that other thread that got locked, let me be perfectly clear: I have no beef with what MasterMO or other legitimate Band/Flame players do. I saw MasterMo play and he is legitimately playing both lanes without dropping Blitz mode inordinately, which requires a massive amount of skill. If Harmonix buffed Blitz mode, players like him would only be further rewarded, not punished.

    The potential for button mashers to do basically the same thing, though, is a different story. That's just abuse. That's the only reason I'd suggest buffing Blitz mode. But it's obvious we're on the same page here in terms of the larger picture. I would much, much rather Harmonix just roll this back to the way it was two days ago and leave well enough alone than continue with the present configuration. I was right in the middle of replacing all of my crappy Road Rage/Blast Notes scores with Jackpot/Flame now that I'm not a noob, and it's depressing beyond belief that now I have basically no chance of even matching my noob runs unless I go back to using the noob combo.

    I agree with what you say Epsilon. Although it was easy to beat them I understand less skilled players were achieving higher scores by just button mashing. I never got to try this to truely experience what everyone is talking about.

    After reading your post it is now clear what SHOULD have happened. Like someone said yesterday you cannot nerf anything as it would render the leaderboards useless which has happened. If they buffed blitz mode that would have fixed this problem.

    Instead the entire community is getting punished. Which in turn sounds like a direct result of some US only Facebook tournament. Like most things in the world today this sounds like a money grab on Harmonix part and to cover all their legal bases they compromised the integrity of a great game.
  • edited December 2012
    Hey all, thanks for your patience. As you may have seen, yes, we are planning to launch a series of tournaments for Blitz via RB World. The intent was to announce both the tournaments and the flame note re balance in the same announcement, but due to a scoring bug in the tournament system that's been further delayed. But, rather than make those affected in this thread wait any longer, I wanted to post some additional clarification here. Below is an excerpt from the announcement that will go out when tournaments are officially launched:
    HMXPope;4949477 said:
    We’ve rolled out a small, targeted Power-up rebalance in conjunction with the Tournament system that will tone down the Flame Note Power-up. We want these Tournaments to be as level a playing field as possible so you all feel compelled to join, and this is a step towards that.

    As you probably know, we've already deployed a rebalance like this before, and it's possible we will again in the future. Doing this is all in service of keeping the game as fair and competitive as possible, but also to prevent everyone from settling on one single loadout for their Blitzing pleasure.
    Before digging in any deeper, I want to highlight the beginning of that last paragraph: we have done re balances like this before and it's possible we will again. Nothing is set in stone and we are 100% ready to listen to feedback from users of all experience levels. Please keep that it mind before reading on.

    So, why is this happening? We've tracked a ton of user feedback (here, on Twitter, on Facebook, in email, etc) and a ton of in game data, and it became clear that Flame notes were overpowered. Compared to other power ups, compared to scores logged using other power ups, compared to the regularity with which users selected other power ups... it wasn't as balanced as it should be.

    Why is this happening now? With Tournaments planned to launch this week, we were looking at a string of leaderboard driven competitions with real world prizing with a significant cash value. It was essential to us that these tournaments were as balanced as possible for those participating. Leaderboard bragging rights are one thing, but with consistent prizing on the line as well, we wanted to ensure a more level playing field.

    Why weren't other power ups raised instead? The launch date for tournaments left us with a rather narrow margin of time to implement in game changes. Add in the holiday, and that leaves significantly less time. In game changes aren't as simple as flipping a switch, and every change means additional rounds of testing, additional errors to consider, additional side effects in other areas, etc. That means implementing a re balance on 10+ power ups, versus a re balance of 1 was a huge timing issue for us to consider.

    What about leaderboards? We're aware of potential leaderboard / high score / gold star / score dependent Goals side effects and we're actively discussing that with the dev team. We don't want to leave any goals unattainable / any songs un gold starrable / any Goals impossible to complete, etc. There are a number of possibilities, and as I mentioned above we are totally open to feedback.

    I hope that helps shed some light on the reasoning behind this change. There's nothing sinister going on and we're not looking to ruin Blitz game play for anyone. We'll likely be posting more in the coming days once tournaments are fully online, we can track participation, and Pope is back in the office to help steer things a bit. I know that people have a lot of time and emotion invested in this game and that can lead to a lot of passionate feedback. That isn't lost on anyone here at Harmonix. But rest assure that Blitz isn't broken, and nothing is broken that can't be fixed. That's one of the advantages of having Blitz so connected on the server side, being able to react to community feedback on anything ranging from the in game economy to Goals to power ups. We'll continue to track feedback in this thread and in the usual venues for discussion, so please keep posting.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4952272 said:

    I am starting to think that they have some type of marketing deal going on here. Selling your information for those who sign up through Facebook. Make sure all of you read all terms of Service and be well aware of what they are doing with your information.

    ever read what google does with all the info they get from you?
    or pretty much any site?
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    hmxhenry;4952311 said:
    Hey all, thanks for your patience. As you may have seen, yes, we are planning to launch a series of tournaments for Blitz via RB World. The intent was to announce both the tournaments and the flame note re balance in the same announcement, but due to a scoring bug in the tournament system that's been further delayed. But, rather than make those affected in this thread wait any longer, I wanted to post some additional clarification here. Below is an excerpt from the announcement that will go out when tournaments are officially launched:



    Before digging in any deeper, I want to highlight the beginning of that last paragraph: we have done re balances like this before and it's possible we will again. Nothing is set in stone and we are 100% ready to listen to feedback from users of all experience levels. Please keep that it mind before reading on.

    So, why is this happening? We've tracked a ton of user feedback (here, on Twitter, on Facebook, in email, etc) and a ton of in game data, and it became clear that Flame notes were overpowered. Compared to other power ups, compared to scores logged using other power ups, compared to the regularity with which users selected other power ups... it wasn't as balanced as it should be.

    Why is this happening now? With Tournaments planned to launch this week, we were looking at a string of leaderboard driven competitions with real world prizing with a significant cash value. It was essential to us that these tournaments were as balanced as possible for those participating. Leaderboard bragging rights are one thing, but with consistent prizing on the line as well, we wanted to ensure a more level playing field.

    Why weren't other power ups raised instead? The launch date for tournaments left us with a rather narrow margin of time to implement in game changes. Add in the holiday, and that leaves significantly less time. In game changes aren't as simple as flipping a switch, and every change means additional rounds of testing, additional errors to consider, additional side effects in other areas, etc. That means implementing a re balance on 10+ power ups, versus a re balance of 1 was a huge timing issue for us to consider.

    What about leaderboards? We're aware of potential leaderboard / high score / gold star / score dependent Goals side effects and we're actively discussing that with the dev team. We don't want to leave any goals unattainable / any songs un gold starrable / any Goals impossible to complete, etc. There are a number of possibilities, and as I mentioned above we are totally open to feedback.

    I hope that helps shed some light on the reasoning behind this change. There's nothing sinister going on and we're not looking to ruin Blitz game play for anyone. We'll likely be posting more in the coming days once tournaments are fully online, we can track participation, and Pope is back in the office to help steer things a bit. I know that people have a lot of time and emotion invested in this game and that can lead to a lot of passionate feedback. That isn't lost on anyone here at Harmonix. But rest assure that Blitz isn't broken, and nothing is broken that can't be fixed. That's one of the advantages of having Blitz so connected on the server side, being able to react to community feedback on anything ranging from the in game economy to Goals to power ups. We'll continue to track feedback in this thread and in the usual venues for discussion, so please keep posting.

    Thank you for a response. It is nice to see responses on a forum from developers as not all games have this. Your post was detailed and explained everything from Harmonix point of view.

    That being said it seems to me this move to nerf flame notes was rushed and not all the possibilities were considered. Why launch this change without first having a solution to the leaderboard issue.

    And the idea of tournaments is great. If it was in the game I bought I would love it. but its not. the tournaments will be on Facebook. Although I don't have the number i am sure there is a large population in the game that do not use your Facebook App. So this tournament feature will not enhance i=the game for that group who does not use the Facebook App.

    There is no question that Flame notes were the best power up in the game. But they also required the most skilled. Similar to Jackpot. It is only as good as the player using it. The harder the power up the greater the reward.

    I might be wrong and I don't have the analytics to look at as you do but my guess is this. The majority of unique users to the game come from the ability to compete with friends and others on the top of in game leaderboards. Not because of Rockband world.

    There are 6,000 users joined in Rockband world. I know there are at least 160k users on Xbox alone who have played Blitz. Lets be conservative and say PS3 has 140k users for 300k total users. Rockband world makes up 2% of all Rockband Blitz players.

    Now I am sure your marketing people are going to use this whole tournament thing to increase your user count on the Facebook App. But like when any marketing decision is made the rest of us are rarely considered. I have no reason to play your game now since I will not be using your Facebook App. I am only one person but I am sure there are many others.

    Will see in the long run if this was the right move. And maybe it was the right move economically. I will be happy to come back when the in game leaderboards matter again. Until than I will spend my time and money on the plenty of other games that are out there.

    Thanks as always for your time and hard work.
  • Mircosoft93Mircosoft93 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    hmxhenry;4952311 said:
    Why weren't other power ups raised instead? The launch date for tournaments left us with a rather narrow margin of time to implement in game changes. Add in the holiday, and that leaves significantly less time. In game changes aren't as simple as flipping a switch, and every change means additional rounds of testing, additional errors to consider, additional side effects in other areas, etc. That means implementing a re balance on 10+ power ups, versus a re balance of 1 was a huge timing issue for us to consider.
    I'd rather have a fully balanced game (to some point because characteristics of a song and luck can't be considered) than a tournament half of the competitive Blitz players can't take part in, but I'm open to any change of the game and thankful for the time you guys put in Blitz. I'm just hoping the leaderboards will be reset
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    jibjqrkl;4952324 said:
    ever read what google does with all the info they get from you?
    or pretty much any site?

    I don't use Google. And that is exactly why I only register on a site that I want to. Think of the difference between registering here at rockband.com and Facebook. They are very different. On Rockband.com they ask for your birthdate and email address.

    Now think of the information about yourself on Facebook. A lot more than your Birthdate and email address right? You are comparing Apples and Oranges. Which is why I simply told people to stay informed and read the Terms of Service the Harmonix lawyers release.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4952344 said:
    I don't use Google. And that is exactly why I only register on a site that I want to. Think of the difference between registering here at rockband.com and Facebook. They are very different. On Rockband.com they ask for your birthdate and email address.

    Now think of the information about yourself on Facebook. A lot more than your Birthdate and email address right? You are comparing Apples and Oranges. Which is why I simply told people to stay informed and read the Terms of Service the Harmonix lawyers release.

    you do know you can actually put in fake info right?
    as for tracking cookies, browsers have an "auto-delete 3rd party cookies at end of session" option for those
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    jibjqrkl;4952354 said:
    you do know you can actually put in fake info right?
    as for tracking cookies, browsers have an "auto-delete 3rd party cookies at end of session" option for those

    I would rather not get to technical here and keep it on topic. But to answer your question this is not a cookie issue. This is a personal information issue. By holding tournaments on Facebook you would be ineligible for the tournament and "Prizes." It will all be in the terms of service written by Harmonix lawyers.

    I just want to play Rockband anonymously and try to get top scores on the leaderboards. That option has been removed. I personally disagree with their decisions but it's their company not mine. I will just not play the game until certain issues are addressed. If a lot of people feel like me Harmonix will probably fix things. If a lot of people participate and sign up for these tournaments it will be a success and they will have no reason to change anything.

    The community will ultimately decide the fate of Blitz by what they choose to play. Like most business decisions this is about economics, and growing the brand. If it causes the company to make less money and stunts the growth of the brand than they will do something different.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    cowboys282;4952336 said:


    I know there are at least 160k users on Xbox alone who have played Blitz. Lets be conservative and say PS3 has 140k users for 300k total users. Rockband world makes up 2% of all Rockband Blitz players.

    I think these numbers are representative of the people who tried the trial, not necessarily those who bought it. If you were to use RB World and look at the leaderboards for on disc songs you would see it is more in the range of 50-60 K on 360. The songs in the trial are listed as 160,000 or what have you due to them being available in the trial. Not sure what it is on PS3.

    I can understand feeling like you are being forgotten but it is still a choice you are making for yourself. This is the future of connected gaming. Create a new facebook account for the purpose of RB World and this will cease to be a problem for you.

    From my perspective I can't win any of the prizes as I'm not in the US. Am i complaining saying that I am forgotten because I am not in the US, no because it is what it is and I'm grateful to HMX for continuing to add functionality and new challenges on a weekly basis to keep me interested in the game.

    A lot of developers could learn a valuable lesson from this IMO.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited December 2012
    hmxhenry;4952311 said:
    Before digging in any deeper, I want to highlight the beginning of that last paragraph: we have done re balances like this before and it's possible we will again.
    No. No. Not like this. Pope in fact said that they would never, ever, nerf powerups, very much because it would make some scores unattainable. What happened with that? Did he lie to us? Was he even there when you made this decision?
    hmxhenry;4952311 said:
    Why weren't other power ups raised instead? The launch date for tournaments left us with a rather narrow margin of time to implement in game changes. Add in the holiday, and that leaves significantly less time. In game changes aren't as simple as flipping a switch, and every change means additional rounds of testing, additional errors to consider, additional side effects in other areas, etc. That means implementing a re balance on 10+ power ups, versus a re balance of 1 was a huge timing issue for us to consider.

    Then you wait on the tourney implementation.

    I'm sorry, do you realise the relative gravitas of what you've done? In your explanation, you've directly addressed not being able to gold star some songs, but seemingly tiptoed around leaderboard scores being unattainable. Having a permanent mark on the leaderboards on any given song, including a few that come from Blitz itself, destroys the notion that it's a fair playing field, and so does the notion that powerups could be moved around in the hierachy at any time. How am I then meant to take this game seriously as a score attack game?
    hmxhenry;4952311 said:
    But rest assure that Blitz isn't broken
    But my trust that it will remain a consistent, and more importantly enjoyable, experience is. I don't think I can go back.

    If the myriad of online-only issues got me closer to stop the play of Blitz, then principle helped make that final push.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    So you alienated a huge portion of your fan base that will not be allowed to take part in the tournament because they live in a different region by rushing out a flame note nerf that makes then dead useless and kill an important gameplay mechanic? Jackpot/Flame was a very fun high risk/high reward way of playing the game, and became an important tactic in the blitz meta game for awhile. This nerf completely throws that out of the window. You don't rush out a major nerf like this 4 months after the game was released without facing problems.

    The same people were on the top of the leaderboards because they were the most skilled usually. It was truly a skilled based powerup. Yes there was a lot of luck but that's with every powerup in the game. In order to take advantage of flame notes, you'd have to inherit the skill of being able to react to when the flame notes appear, juggle and catch them without making a single mistake, which is a valid skill set. It's much more engaging than deploying a car that hits random notes.

    You should have hold off on the flame note nerf until you truly knew how to deal with the issues that would happen after it. Now you have some songs that are no longer GSable. The leaderboards are a complete joke now with a huge number of scores that are literally unobtainable. Flame Notes are now by far the most useless powerup in the game because the nerf was too extreme. You have limited the amount of good useable combos.

    Nerfs aren't as easy as buffing and rushing a nerf was a very bad decision, and I and many other players can no longer take this game seriously anymore. It was a very fun game but now I don't see the point if the rules are going to constantly change like this.

    There were other ways to combat the bandmate/flame issue, such as changing the spawn behaviour so players can't keep flame notes spreading indefinitely by hitting 2 lanes at once. Changing the point value however just wrecks it. The new point value makes flames complete garbage and not a viable option in any loadout anymore.

    I feel that this was a very lousy and rushed move and it shows.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited December 2012
    zage1337;4952384 said:
    So you alienated a huge portion of your fan base that will not be allowed to take part in the tournament because they live in a different region...
    Not their fault. Legal stuff for other countries is bananas. Thats why most contest and things that take place in the US are US only or at the most US and Canada(excluding Quebec)
  • cowboys282cowboys282 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    metalkorn;4952359 said:
    I think these numbers are representative of the people who tried the trial, not necessarily those who bought it. If you were to use RB World and look at the leaderboards for on disc songs you would see it is more in the range of 50-60 K on 360. The songs in the trial are listed as 160,000 or what have you due to them being available in the trial. Not sure what it is on PS3.

    I can understand feeling like you are being forgotten but it is still a choice you are making for yourself. This is the future of connected gaming. Create a new facebook account for the purpose of RB World and this will cease to be a problem for you.

    From my perspective I can't win any of the prizes as I'm not in the US. Am i complaining saying that I am forgotten because I am not in the US, no because it is what it is and I'm grateful to HMX for continuing to add functionality and new challenges on a weekly basis to keep me interested in the game.

    A lot of developers could learn a valuable lesson from this IMO.

    You are correct that the numbers are probably closer to 50 - 60k on each system. But I am sure not all of the those 6k on Rockband world play Blitz. Maybe the idea is to get some of those 6k to buy Blitz now that the game sales are slowing down $$$

    And I agree this is the way companies market now. They do it through social media. It is the immediate future of gaming but it can be argued if this is still how things will be years from now. I think the whole social aspect has the potential of slowing down.

    The point is I no longer have a reason to play this game. Nor do many others. Time should tell if this will make a difference in the long run. If leaderboards get reset this will be a clear sign that they are trying to increase sales and target a new market of people to spend their 800 points on the game.

    Think about it. Everyone who still plays the game has already spent money on the DLC they want. I am sure DLC sales have been going down steadily. They need a new stream of revenue. That starts with getting new players buying the game. That is what this is all about I am sure.
Sign In or Register to comment.