Headsets and Vocals in Rock Band 3

Electronium483Electronium483 Unsigned
edited December 2012 in Rock Band
I already know that you can't sing with headsets in Rock Band 3 because it would mess with the harmonies, but that leaves me wondering: If there's the headset port in all the instruments (Or most of them), why can't there be three headsets instead of three mics? It seems to me that, not only would that make it easier to sing and play an instrument, but, with a little implementation, the characters in the game could sing the part their player is singing instead of a random harmony.

These are just my thoughts. I know I would like such an update in the future, but if there's some flaw in the idea, let me know.

Comments

• ElementicianElementician Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    I heard of someone taking apart their microphone and turning it into a headset, how they did it, i'm not sure, since its risky
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    AFAIK on xbox it's possible. Not sure about PS3. and it's defenetly impossible on wii.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    Vocals going through headsets probably screws with either how the game processes vocals for harmonies and/or the overshell functionality, since the audio is going through another controller to the console, as opposed to directly to the console.

And I don't see how changing what harmony each character is singing would require "a little implementation" since any mic can play any part at any time, so you could very well end up with a whole stage of people whose lips look like they're a Tourrette's sufferrer that's just been tazed.
  • Electronium483Electronium483 Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    whypick1;4951884 said:
    Vocals going through headsets probably screws with either how the game processes vocals for harmonies and/or the overshell functionality, since the audio is going through another controller to the console, as opposed to directly to the console.
    Since harmonies already are based on the premise of 3 separate mics, they wouldn't be any different with three different headsets. As far as processing over a controller, I can see a little more issue. However, since all the wireless instruments are able to register played notes at correct times after calibration, the timing shouldn't cause much trouble. It's left to just getting the sound processed, which I've heard has been done in previous games, but I can't say myself if it's true.
    whypick1;4951884 said:

And I don't see how changing what harmony each character is singing would require "a little implementation" since any mic can play any part at any time, so you could very well end up with a whole stage of people whose lips look like they're a Tourrette's sufferrer that's just been tazed.

That would be true if it weren't for the fact that no instrument, including the mic, shows any mistake in the scenes themselves. They would be mouthing what was programmed, not what was sung. The only difference would be who's singing what.

Thanks for all the input, though. That's just the kind of thinking I want so it can be clear if it's possible that this would ever be implemented.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    As far as I know, you can sing in RB3 with headsets on the 360, but the headsets must be connected via USB, not to a controller. Anything that plugs into a controller will not work.

On the PS3, virtually all of my microphones and headsets work for singing in Rock Band 3.

I'm pretty sure headsets would work on the Wii if Nintendo had added some more hardware support for more than just Logitech-manufactured audio input devices. Has anyone playing on the Wii U tried a USB headset to see if things have improved on that front with the newer hardware?
  • WIIBARONWIIBARON Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Elementician;4951879 said:
    I heard of someone taking apart their microphone and turning it into a headset, how they did it, i'm not sure, since its risky

That would be me. Simple, cheap and effective. And NO risk. 1.Use hammer to crack open mic[very tough plastic,best to use edge of curb and don't hit the 'business end'].2.Get rid of everything but disc/wire[you'll see]. 3.Using a 20ish inch length of coax cable,make a headband around your head and bend down the end to be the boom to your mouth. 4.Run the disc/wire up the boom and around to back of your head. 5. Tape it all up with your favorite tape. This whole operation shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour. Drumvoxxing will be a breeze and don't forget to say 'pop' when the tambourine sections appear. OH, it would help to grow a third eye to watch the vocal track, I'm still working on that! I made mine 2 years ago and now I even use it just for vocals only as you can go hands free and do better dance moves.
    edited December 2012
    oh wow you did that WIIBARON? Leslie and laalaa were talking to me about someone doing that, i didn't realize that was you.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Just putting it out there. You CANNOT sing with the headset on the 360. Tested it, and it doesn't work.
    edited December 2012
    I remember when you could sing with the headset on rockband 2 on the xbox 360, that was years and years and years ago when i owned a 360 until i traded it in for a Wii
  • CielNuitCielNuit Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    I've only ever seen one type of headset that allows you to sing in RB3, and that's this http://rockbandparts.com/?product=hs-03-usb-headset-microphone

I might get one, I've been wanting to sing whilst playing drums or keys for a while now.