Queen: Regular Version or RB3 version? I need thoughts!

VarientVarient Unsigned
edited December 2012 in Rock Band
I was considering getting the Queen Pack 1 then I noticed "enhanced" versions of some songs with backup vocals, keyboards and such for Rock band 3. Now I need help picking which version to get!

The main songs I'm interested in are Under Pressure, I Want It All and Somebody to Love. I'm usually on vocals, but I do own and can play all instruments. I play keyboards the least out of them all so if I did get the version with keys I wouldn't be using the keyboard feature very much. I am looking at getting into playing online, however and I know others might want to be on keys.

What do you guys think? Is it better to get the more expensive RB3 versions of these songs or are the older versions fine?

A few things in my mind I could use some confirmation on as well if you could...
  • Do more people own and use the older version or is it a even split?
  • Is it closer to the actual vocals on the RB3 versions? Under Pressure is the one I'm worried about here as I saw what Gimme Shelter turned into!
  • Any real difference besides backup vocals and keys on the RB3 version?
Thanks for all your input! :D

Comments

• ZommieZommie Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Without sounding like a total arse, it's pretty simple.

RB3 versions all the way, one of the reasons being is you get both Lego RB songs without needing LEGO RB. Also, keyboard and harmonies can't be ignored with a band of Queens stature.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    If getting the version of "Under Pressure" that doesn't have harmonies isn't a crime, it damn well should be.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited December 2012
    - Definitely the RB3 versions as vocals flow better with the harmonies added (e.g. Under Pressure harmonies has 1 part for Freddie Mercury and a seperate part for David Bowie).

- I would say most people online have neither versions. A word of warning about online is that people who don't have or don't choose many Avenged Sevenfold songs generally get kicked out by the leader (my first hand experience from playing Rock Band 3 online with random players when not being the leader).

- 1 thing to note is that the guitar chart for "Somebody to Love" is very different between legacy and RB3 version as the legacy version has piano charted to guitar.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    I agree with everyone here. Queen has such strong harmonies and such a strong keyboard presence, the RB3 versions are the only way to go.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    RB3 Versions. In my opinion this isn't even a question.
  • VarientVarient Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, everybody! I was thinking the harmonies and keys would be important on this one and it's good to have confirmation. Its especially good to hear some major differences between the versions. I always thought it was weird when other songs had guitars charted to keys, so I'm definitely glad to be able to avoid it.

I also had no clue Avenged Sevenfold was so popular. You'd think Queen would be more popular considering that it has more songs with more versions and even it's own track pack. Currently I only have 2 Avenged Sevenfold songs: Bat Country and Beast and the Harlot. I'm not really into their music in general. Are there other super popular bands I should keep an eye out for?
  • BVP2K10BVP2K10 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    I haven't had anyone choose an Avenged Sevenfold song in months, and I always play with randoms.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Doors, Billy Joel, and stuff like that is good enough, probably not as popular as Avenged Sevenfold though.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2012
    I rarely choose avenged (own all by them) and no one i've played with chooses them.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    From a primarily-vocals standpoint, yes, the RB3 versions are clearly superior. If price isn't an issue (is the pre-RB3 sale still going on?) you're going to have a better time with the RB3 versions.

I wouldn't worry too much about who owns what online - most of the people online will not match up with much, if any, of your DLC unless you're one of the crazy people like me that owns virtually all DLC. Amongst random online players, I rarely see Queen songs show up as playable, let alone picked.

Metallica, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold and Hysteria by Muse are likely to show up. Consider yourself lucky if anything else that isn't an export appears.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    As a keyboard player, I usually avoid sessions where there is no songs available with keys filtering, or very few. When people do have a decent ammount in common (let's say 50+), they usually have some Queen (I have most of Queen's release), and I cay say that I play Don't Stop Me Now very often with randoms, so Yeah, I guess there is people with Queen stuff.