Discussion Thread for Releasing Blitz Tracks as Singles & Plans for Upcoming RB DLC

Comments

• broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited January 2013
    Lazy.
    hmxhenry;4957120 said:

As with regular DLC announcements, i.e. announcing weekly rather than monthly or announcing batches of upcoming releases all at once, we try to avoid commenting too far out because the schedule / production / testing / submission can still change. We'll have more info as we get closer to releasing all of the Blitz singles.

= Yes it will be biweekly
    hmxhenry;4957120 said:

A negative response from the forums was fully expected, but the forums are nowhere near representative of the entirety of the RB community. The forum community is the most likely to have purchased Blitz at launch or while on sale because they are the most plugged in, they are the completionists, the ones most likely to try a new twist on the traditional RB game play. Of course forum regulars would have loved to see new content alongside the Blitz single releases, but for all the production and bandwidth reasons mentioned in the FAQ it wasn't a possibility.

But it's worth noting that there are a great many people that didn't buy Blitz, and anyone on the Wii has never had the option to purchase these songs before. The size of that addressable community alone is more than the active user base on the forums. We're not releasing Blitz tracks as singles because we are mean or lazy, it's because DLC will reach a lot of people that Blitz didn't. We've done this before with track packs and more recently with GD:RB and we have a pretty solid grasp on requests not just from the forums, but from Facebook, Twitter, PMs, emails, conventions, phone calls, and actual mail. Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone that purchased Blitz that this is for them, I just want to reiterate that the community is larger than the forums.

Really? Lets take a look at sales shall we (yes i know its only 360 but still it more than likely represents PS3 as well).

Elton John 01
    1644 +90 "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" - Elton John 12/18/2012
    1783 +49 "The ***** Is Back" - Elton John 12/18/2012
    1828 +47 Elton John Pack 01 12/18/2012
    1884 +47 "I'm Still Standing" - Elton John 12/28/2012

the Blitz song is last

MCR 01
    1581 NEW "Helena" - My Chemical Romance 12/25/2012
    1643 NEW "Teenagers" - My Chemical Romance 12/25/2012
    1840 NEW My Chemical Romance Pack 01 12/25/2012
    1923 NEW "Sing" - My Chemical Romance 12/25/2012

the Blitz song is last

Singles last week:
    1926 NEW "Party Hard" - Andrew W.K. 12/30/2012

Only song that sold enough to rank as of 1/1 also not a Blitz song. (Only out two days however).

Ya looks like the Blitz songs are selling pretty well...

*waits for Henry to somehow try to make it sound like Wii users will make up for this*

We went from full albums and around 40-50 songs a month to 25ish songs a month to 12 songs a month to now 6 songs a month. This is exactly what happened with GH...first DLC every week then every other week then once a month then nothing. It was fun while it lasted.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    samjjones;4957188 said:
    What if this is the rug?

my original comment was that hmx wouldn't announce the end of dlc in advance but end abruptly. Henry assured me this wasn't true. And for the record one week is not advance notice.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited January 2013
    Relative sales figures on one console in one country aren't going to change Harmonix' minds, especially the songs that are only tracked for two days of a weekly thread. At this point it would be worse to lead people to believe all the Blitz songs will be released, then abruptly stop and leave holes all over the immediate DLC schedule.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited January 2013
    For me, these all-blitz weeks aren't that different from any other week when the DLC is a band I don't know or like or care about, it's just more songs I'm not buying. The major difference is that now, every other week, there's no hope that there'll be a song that I want to buy. I'm not sure if I should be thankful for that or not, but I suppose one big up-front disappointment is better than being disappointed anew every other week? Hmm. Not like it's going to stop me from looking every week to see which songs are coming out, I suppose
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    expertwinSH;4957203 said:
    I remember the MTV days (even when I played only GH) when they licensed The Beatles.
    And we'll always have The Beatles! What a lucky accident that the peak of Rock Band popularity / available capital coincided with their catalog being remastered, instrument by instrument, for "Love".

And yet I still haven't played in over a year, mostly because there's no site like rockbandscores.com to track my progress. It sounds like a really lame explanation, I know, but I find that being able to track my stats so easily is really motivating for me, at least when I'm playing alone.

New Years Resolution: to get my monthly Rock Band group to play RB:TB, instead of RB3, for the entirety of one of our 2013 sessions.
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    Meat-Popsicle;4957237 said:
    And we'll always have The Beatles! What a lucky accident that the peak of Rock Band popularity / available capital coincided with their catalog being remastered, instrument by instrument, for "Love".

And yet I still haven't played in over a year, mostly because there's no site like rockbandscores.com to track my progress. It sounds like a really lame explanation, I know, but I find that being able to track my stats so easily is really motivating for me, at least when I'm playing alone.

New Years Resolution: to get my monthly Rock Band group to play RB:TB, instead of RB3, for the entirety of one of our 2013 sessions.

It's funny how we all have gone from complaining that there isn't more Beatles DLC, to now having to beg for them to release a minimum of six new songs a month. Yikes.

It just pained me to write that. Six songs a month. *sigh*
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2013
    I swear, Rock Band is like Kenny on "South Park" with how many times it has "died" according to the community.

Can some of you not read? DLC IS NOT stopping. The announcement is just setting expectations. They are still going to be releasing non-Blitz content while they release the remainder of the Blitz songs. You might already own the songs as DLC because you purchased Blitz because you're an early adopter, but for some people (mostly Wii folk) the Blitz songs are NEW DLC.

Rock Band's not going anywhere anytime soon. Christ, there's so much negativity here. Did the recent MCR DLC turn everyone into emo teenagers that want to wrist cut? Things have always been slow in the winter months. This isn't the end of Rock Band or DLC or HMX.

So, cheer up. :D

Edit: Reading back, I realize the above could sound a bit condescending. So, let me re-phrase what I'm trying to say: This announcement doesn't change anything. It's just HMX giving us all a friendly heads up that 2013 DLC is going to fall in line with 2012 DLC and that we won't be getting any megapacks anytime soon (which we haven't had any megapacks for over a year, so we know that already).
  • Pointblank41Pointblank41 Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    HMXHenry,

Are you guys still actively licensing songs / looking to license songs for the Rock Band platform?

I'm just afraid that the well has dried up and that you guys are going to just gradually release what you've already licensed until it's gone.

Also, when and if you guys decide to stop providing DLC for Rock Band, will you still support the RBN? It's not so bad if you guys decide to stop DLC if the RBN authors pick up some of the bands you guys are known for and continue the DLC stream.
    edited January 2013
    The way I was reading it, it seemed pretty clear that they were only promising new DLC for the next 3 months, in between the "Blitz only" weeks, and then it would all end. But it probably wasn't meant to read that way. They didn't say explicitly, "and then regular DLC releases will go back to their weekly schedule", but I doubt this was meant to be a way to break it to us gently that the end was nigh.

So what happens after 3 months?
    1. DLC releases will resume, usually 3 a week once again.
    2. DLC releases will continue at the new reduced rate, about 3 every other week.
    3. A final plan for the last few batches of DLC releases will be announced as the end of the 3 months approaches.
    4. DLC will cease indefinitely as soon as the 3 months ends.

Or maybe they just really haven't decided what they will do yet, and are still weighing their options. But the answer surely isn't going to be "full albums and huge packs return"!

I just hope that the new Harmonix titles aren't all exclusive to the 360. Though I guess I'm going to have to buy one eventually.

EDIT: OK, based on the latest post from hmxhenry, option #1 seems to be out
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited January 2013
    I'd suggest getting whatever the next gen 360 is called. I highly doubt they are making new titles (that will only work) for the current version.
  • edited January 2013
    I don't think this is the death of Rock Band, and even if it was I can't see it being permanent, I would hope if DLC stopped it would be because something bigger(next gen, new game, huge project) is taking up time and resources.
  • edited January 2013
    crash13;4957169 said:
    Henry, is it possible to know how far out dlc has been planned for? I understand you can't strait up tell us, but if there is any indication of this train coming to a stop, it would be good to know.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a lot that can happen with DLC on even a week to week basis so we don't like to comment on plans too far out. All I can say right now is what has already been outlined in the announcement and the FAQ, that we have DLC releases lined up for the next 3 months.
    randrac;4957179 said:
    Can you tell us if HMX is still intent on pursuing additional songs/bands as DLC, or if this will simply be runout?
    We're still in close contact with all labels and have been discussing licensing on a regular basis.
    3pic81ueUnicorn;4957191 said:
    I don't see this as a slowing down of DLC. As it seems, the bi-weekly Blitz releases are not a sign of a slow down, but of Harmonix giving those who couldn't or didn't want to purchase Blitz the opportunity to purchase the content they want.
    While we most definitely do want to make these songs available for the people that want them, this should most definitely be seen as a slow down of DLC. The first line in the announcement references a slow down in the DLC production pipeline, so while I totally understand that people want to stay positive, we should all be realistic about the state of things at this point.
    broncosfan06;4957210 said:

Really? Lets take a look at sales shall we (yes i know its only 360 but still it more than likely represents PS3 as well).

Ya looks like the Blitz songs are selling pretty well...

*waits for Henry to somehow try to make it sound like Wii users will make up for this*
    Even if we imagine for a second that any stats you could pull online are correct (spoilers: they're not) you can only guess at what "selling pretty well" means. We have have access to accurate sales data for all songs on all consoles in all regions. So again, even if we ignore that fact and run off the placement you provided... do you honestly see those as a failure?

I'm not saying that the Blitz re releases are going to outsell new tracks, I'm saying that there is a sizable portion of the community that is interested in these songs as singles. You're not aware of licensing costs or production costs or accurate sales, so you don't know what the metric for success is. You don't know how many people have Blitz or how many people buy DLC on a weekly basis or how long the tail is for DLC sales, but I can tell you that looking at leaderboard scores or best guesses for sales estimates on one console for one week won't give you an accurate picture.

If you don't want them, you don't have to buy them. They're not for you, they're for other people. You can tune back in next week for more content.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4957316 said:
    (Cut for space)

While we most definitely do want to make these songs available for the people that want them, this should most definitely be seen as a slow down of DLC. The first line in the announcement references a slow down in the DLC production pipeline, so while I totally understand that people want to stay positive, we should all be realistic about the state of things at this point.

I'm glad you posted this. The signal to noise ratio in this thread was getting a little low.
  • Iceman71421Iceman71421 Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    Every party comes to an end. You dont have to go home but youve got to get the hell out of here!
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    Wow, well that pretty much seals it. Only three months of guaranteed DLC left, after that....all bets are off.

My take: Near the end of the three months, they will announce a final month or so of DLC. One last HURAH before it goes dark. Oh well. Hope they keep RBN going, as today's release of Great Balls of Fire (the original 50's version) shows, they can get huge songs that even HMX can't or don't want to get.
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    edited January 2013
    If Rock Band DLC does stop piping out in a few months, then what does that mean for the RBN? Will it also be stopped? Surely when that day comes there will still be many songs waiting to be reviewed and tested.
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4957316 said:
    As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a lot that can happen with DLC on even a week to week basis so we don't like to comment on plans too far out. All I can say right now is what has already been outlined in the announcement and the FAQ, that we have DLC releases lined up for the next 3 months.

Thanks for the honest reply, but that last sentence scares me.
  • panbientpanbient Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    As an older gamer who also works in the industry (albeit on the casual side of the fence) I just want to offer a huge KUDOS to Harmonix and the gang for continued support so long after release.

My only real question is, when DLC finally stops and new products are released will the RB Central Server stay up for much longer for continued online play? It would be a shame to lose the ability to rock out with random people on classic tunes.

Personally, I'm not at all bothered by a reduction in new DLC, I already have Blitz and biweekly is fine for new content, though I'd also prefer more full albums - or just more Rush ;)

As for the new 'secret' projects and stuff. Can you confirm / deny that something along the lines of Rocksmith but drum-centric is in development? Or do I have to wait for the GDC?

Cheers
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4957316 said:

Wow...

After reading these two responses, this song seems oddly appropriate.
  • edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4957316 said:

Yikes. Your go to answer used to be that you guys had DLC lined up for the next 6 months. I guess that's a bad sign...

Well my question then is will you guys keep the RBN pipeline open after discontinuing official DLC support? And for PS3? I understand that there's a lot of speculation on my part in that question and that you guys at HMX may not have gotten to that discussion yet.
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    panbient;4957352 said:

My only real question is, when DLC finally stops and new products are released will the RB Central Server stay up for much longer for continued online play? It would be a shame to lose the ability to rock out with random people on classic tunes.
    That could be a real problem at some point for Blitz. As of now, if there is no Rock Central connection, the game becomes pointless since you can't use powerups or anything. I would assume that they would have to make a patch for it or something when the time comes to fix that.
  • Shaun222Shaun222 Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    Whatever ends up happening, I'm gonna stick with Rock Band til the very end.
    edited January 2013
    Hetz;4957358 said:
    That could be a real problem at some point for Blitz. As of now, if there is no Rock Central connection, the game becomes pointless since you can't use powerups or anything. I would assume that they would have to make a patch for it or something when the time comes to fix that.

Keeping the RB Central Server up and running is going to go in the category of things that Harmonix will continue to do, even though it will be expensive, because they are awesome. Forever? Of course not! But for much longer than 3 months. Just a guess, but I feel certain they intend to keep the server up for several years past when the next consoles comes out. Another guess: they won't be able to promise exactly how long they will do it, so they probably won't comment at all.

I'm still upset that I never played "Matrix: Path of Neo" or "The Godfather" online on my PS2, and now the servers are closed forever. Who am I mad at? Me, of course! I didn't even buy the games until they were already a few years old, then I never got around to checking out the multiplayer (or even single player?) features. But even those were supported for several years after they were released, until their user base shrunk to basically zero. And those weren't Harmonix titles.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    *sigh* all of this is making me rather depressed. Might seem sad but looking for new Rock Band DLC each week is something that helps me going, and without that it's like a vital part of my life will disappear.

All I can say is that I hope HMX will continue to support the RBN even after the official DLC have gone dry.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited January 2013
    Good news for PS3 owners (I think): it appears we'll never hit that song limit...so feel free to BUY BUY BUY all the back logged songs you ever wanted before and even the stuff you didn't want! There's no worry now of ever running out of capacity or having to delete anything.

I am also curious about how long after DLC stops will the RCS's remain up and running, and if PS3 users will be able to access new RBN content. My guess on the RBN content, is that it won't be available since that would require work on HMX part to port.

Edit: and one more thing I meant to post and forgot...thanks Henry for providing whatever insight you are allowed. As I've said before, I do not envy your position when it comes to breaking bad news to the community. You are the messenger and don't deserve much of the flack you receive.
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited January 2013
    My Fridays will never be the same. :( I just hope we get sent off with something worth talking about.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4957316 said:

[...]

That's... not very reassuring, though at least it's honest. Even if this does mean DLC will no longer be weekly, an uninterrupted streak of 280 weeks in a row (give or take) is a damn good run, as is the two years since Rock Band 3, and fortnightly/monthly DLC is better than none at all. It's not dead until there's nothing left, and even then I can see RBN lasting at least a few months longer than HMX DLC.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    I didn't read anything in this thread that made me believe we'll be getting DLC come May. And sure, it was a hell of a run. I just wish I had joined it sooner.

Seriously, this thread is a total bummer =(
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4957120 said:
    [QUOTE=Blasteroids;4956948]Why don't you love me anymore?
    We never stopped loving you, not for a second.[/QUOTE]

*HUG*

Now I'll go see what RBN has to offer.