How much would you pay to get into a kick ass RB party?

edited March 2013 in Rock Band Events
With PAX East coming up, I've been doing some thinking about RB event stuff. For past RB parties we've charged to cover the cost of a venue or a specific event (movie screenings, for example) but there are a bunch of different options we could play with and I wanted to check with the community to see what seems reasonable.

Please weigh in on the above survey to let us know what you would be willing to pay to attend an RB party at an event like PAX East. Obviously you wouldn't pay as much to get into a house party as you would to get into a club, so to help gauge the scope of this event assume we mean a pro venue, a stage, a kick ass sound system, big screens, a bar, food / snacks, etc.

Feel free to post below if you have any additional thoughts. We always want to make sure that we can put on the best show possible, but also want to keep it affordable to fans. So let us know what you think is reasonable for a killer RB party and help us plan for future events! Thanks!

Comments

• SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    You cover my plane ticket, I'll pay whatever door charge you want :p
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited January 2013
    Should I just mail you guys my wallet now or wait until I'm at PAX and hand it to you in person?
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Personally, I'm a cheapskate so I'd be comfortable paying $10. If you advertised food/swag I'd probably pay $20. $30 would probably be pushing it (but you know I would pay it cause I love you guys)

However, since I'm not going to be at PAX East, my opinion doesn't really matter so I won't actually vote in the poll.
  • edited January 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4955705 said:

Imagine that I'm talking about a party right down the street from you and respond accordingly!

This isn't just a PAX East specific thing, as it'll help in event planning for future cons, shows, parties, etc.
  • TwitchTV_ProdXTwitchTV_ProdX Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    Now I am even more excited to attend PAX East if there is a sweet RB party going down. I am def looking forward to this. I'll pay 20 or higher because you guys simply rock.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    i wish most of you HMX guys could arrange a rock band party in Norway... i would gladly pay 100$ to attend it... no joke
    edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4955734 said:
    Imagine that I'm talking about a party right down the street from you and respond accordingly!

This isn't just a PAX East specific thing, as it'll help in event planning for future cons, shows, parties, etc.

Oh how I wish it were right down the street!

But until it is, it's sadly a non-starter (there are no 'cons' in my town). Cool that you're thinking about doing some extra special neat stuff for peoplezz, though =)
  • edited January 2013
    TwitchTV_ProdX;4955738 said:
    Now I am even more excited to attend PAX East if there is a sweet RB party going down. I am def looking forward to this. I'll pay 20 or higher because you guys simply rock.

While we HAVE done RB parties at PAX East in the past, and we most likely will do something this year, I do want to clarify that participation in this poll isn't limited to people planning on attending PAX East. I was just saying that PAX East planning got me thinking about events in general and that's what kicked off this thread. So don't assume this is specifically for PAX East, and respond as if I'm asking about any possible HMX hosted event in your area, be it for PAX, PAX East, PAX Australia, E3, GDC, SDCC, NAMM, etc.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4955705 said:

Seconded.

I do think that if some of the admission price went to Child's Play (or another charity), people would be willing to pay $20+ since they not only get to hang out with the HMX crew at an awesome party but also they are putting some money where it's needed.
  • edited January 2013
    I went with $20 + swag.

Also, wow Coconuts. I haven't been in one of those in years! Are they all gone now? The one that used to be right next to my house has been an Avenue for about 8 years.
  • TwitchTV_ProdXTwitchTV_ProdX Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    hmxhenry;4955759 said:
    While we HAVE done RB parties at PAX East in the past, and we most likely will do something this year, I do want to clarify that participation in this poll isn't limited to people planning on attending PAX East. I was just saying that PAX East planning got me thinking about events in general and that's what kicked off this thread. So don't assume this is specifically for PAX East, and respond as if I'm asking about any possible HMX hosted event in your area, be it for PAX, PAX East, PAX Australia, E3, GDC, SDCC, NAMM, etc.
    Gotcha! For you guys to pull off many RB events/parties would be amazing. It is def something worth paying for.

$20 with food is golden
  • Skynyrd45Skynyrd45 Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    I think $20 would be a fair price, but being the crazy RB fan that i am, would probably pay up to $50 if some swag was included.
  • RockBandAtlantaRockBandAtlanta Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    Is this a trick question?
    I'd pay just about anything.
    Make it a $100 per person plated dinner event and the RB party if the entertainment.
    Half goes to pay for food and venue, the other half goes to charity.

That might be for more serious corporate players, but for general public I think $20 with charity tied to it and it's a win-win.

Then to make it more interesting, make each band entry to perform a single song of their choice another $20 and have that whole $20 go to charity on top of the cover charge split.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm in from $3 $103.
  • MackieMackie Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    $10. 5 for HMX and 5 for the venue. Or the whole 10 for HMX. The bar doesn't need to make any extra money from me, shoot I know Ill be ordering at least 4-5 drinks!

But realistically, I know no this hmx-backed type of thing will never hit southern Cali, so sad.
  • pizzzapizzapizzzapizza Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    I would pay 5 dollars to play in the rock band party :)
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited January 2013
    I voted the $15-20 range... if there is food or swag I would gladly pay the $20

of course I am voting like the hypothetical Rock Band party happens at a time I have a job since right now, being unemployed, I would not be able to pay any amount to go to an awesome Rock Band party
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    I would totally look forward to a RB party, if one were ever to come to my area. I'd drive to another state even.

I think if you had some fun competitions,
    1. Skill oriented competition, best drummer, guitarist, highest scoring band, etc.
    2. A HMX team look- a- like contest.
    3. A contest for best impression of a famous band, ( would include costumes, make-up, and ability to play their greatest hit.)
    4. Raffle for autographed RB instruments and swag.
    5. A short performance by one of RB's top leaderboard bands, (the vocalists have to sound really good though). They'd have to pay there own way etc. but could be a special feature. They could be announced and treated like celebs...which in terms of RB...they kind of are :)
    6. A drawing for some lucky person to get to play with the HMX team.

Since I've never gone to any Pax or convention or anything like this, these suggestions may be old ideas, but I'd pay good bucks to go to something along those lines. :)
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    $20 & food... for me. :D
    rkbdgurl;4955998 said:

I think if you had some fun competitions,
    1. Skill oriented competition, best drummer, guitarist, highest scoring band, etc.

Sorry gurl...
    This is what I think would be fun..
    1. Non-Skill oriented competition, worst drummer, guitarist, Lowest scoring band, etc.
    :D I would be Number 1 with a rubber bullet!!
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited January 2013
    Come to a Orlando convention and I'll pay any price.
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    I read this and thought "$20 is awfully cheap for an awesome HMX party."

I'd pay $30-$40, but that's just because I love you guys.
    Also, any HMX sponsored event would have to be closer to VA for my attendance :|
  • ErinASErinAS Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    I mostly like hearing you say Coconuts from the podcast in my head :p. I think base $15 and then whatever else people want to add to that for charity works for most situations
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    intropee;4956226 said:
    $20 & food... for me. :D

Sorry gurl...
    This is what I think would be fun..
    1. Non-Skill oriented competition, worst drummer, guitarist, Lowest scoring band, etc.
    :D I would be Number 1 with a rubber bullet!!

lol...they could do both. This would be so crazy fun. Ill meet you there. :)
    Also, I think they should promote it as a "WORLD TOUR" of sorts. the hmx team could arrive in a limo . Have a silly press core on hand to take pictures and build the hype with interviews like they do for the red carpet oscar events. They could toss gtr pics with a rockband logo on them to the crowd. The HMX team is so creative, I think they can totally make this the thing everyone will want to do.
  • runninbadrunninbad Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    If by "limited swag" you mean one of those TB:RB limited edition bundles you have en masse cluttering up your offices, I would pay $100. If it's T-shirts and Blitz gloves, I would pay $20.

Of course the chance of HMX coming to rural Northern Nevada anytime soon is remote. Closest Starbucks is a 2 hour drive.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited January 2013
    It would heavily depend on two factors:
    1. What Rock Band style memorabillia I would get out of it
    2. Who is going

But my answer would still probably be nothing, as I host my own Rock Band parties with my closest friends, which means that it's my song library and since it's not that many people we don't need to wait an eternity to get a turn. So really, I would be at the joint for the cool stuff rather than the Rock Band playing. I'm not bad mouthing HMX Rock Band parties, I'm just saying that I feel that I have a system that works better for me.
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    Hey Aaron,

Just for some background, I’ve only done RB house parties, and I’ve been to a good chunk of the HMX Boston events (PAX East Rock Band Lounge, IB Rock Band Nights, etc…). I’ve never been to Umloud or any other major RB events, so I can’t use those as a reference. This’ll be super long, but I don’t want to miss anything.

What I want in a killer RB party.

There are really two baseline things that I want, and everything else would be above-and-beyond. 1. Meet awesome new people. 2. Rock out with them and my friends.

In terms of meeting/talking to people, it would mean having some separate lobby/lounge area where people could congregate without RB impacting the ability to hear. I’ve become a big fan of nametags at my parties as of late, and maybe you could even have a big whiteboard with “My name is __ and my biggest RB accomplishment is __” to help people break the ice.

Over-the-top ideas to make it extra awesome.

All of these cost money, but could be pulled off cheaply if you got creative.

Decorating the lobby/lounge like a small Rock Club (maybe even Ralph’s Diner in Worcester). The PAX East 2010 Rock Band Lounge made me feel like I was stepping into an actual location in the Rock Band world which was awesome. People were even graffiti-ing and putting stickers on the black cardboard walls. I totally loved it and haven’t seen something like that again.

Eat like a rock star! And for me, there is nothing more rock than jamming out with friends and eating cheap pizza and chips. It’d take a little bit of logistical work, but small mom-and-pop shops are usually happy to put in a big order, and you could sell the slices/whole pizzas at the event. If this happened around dinner time, I’d be all over it, and it’d give the out-of-towners a taste of the city from a local perspective.

Paparazzi time! If you had a photo booth or just someone with an iPhone, you could offer to have people get a band photo taken before or during a performance. You could even post them on Facebook so they can be like “yeah I was here and it was awesome.”

Pricing.

The difficult part! Most of the events I’ve hosted that had a cover were back in college, so I only do it now if the event will be a significant expense to me. But for me, I try to measure 2 things before I set the price.

1. How excited are people for this?
    2. What value am I adding to the attendees?

Just going by the poll results alone, it seems like you’re onto something good, and people want to go even if they won’t be able to make it. So the question becomes one of value. The biggest value (without having anything planned yet) is…

Access to talk and chill with Harmonix people in real life.

But there are plenty of other things that would add value to attendees such as…

Will there be giveaways?
    Is there a high likelihood of getting free stuff?
    Will I get to play Rock Band more than once?
    Food included?
    Will other cool video game industry people be there?*

…and so on. The more valuable you make it, the more you can charge.

This leads me to my big point which is – I would rather have 50 people show up and pay $20 each, than to have 200 people show up and pay $5. I’ve seen the latter happen at a PAX party. The event was overcrowded to the point where it was hard to move around and have a conversation with anyone (even my friends that were there). It makes me hesitant to go to another party by that group.

I know for some, $20 seems steep, but I’d argue that the people who are willing to pay more understand value, and those are the people you most want to attend. People were outraged when the Wii Shop channel charged $5.00 for an NES game. In one interview, a spokesperson brilliantly responded to the outrage with "how much is that Starbucks coffee in your hand?" What else can you compare this event to price-wise?

If the event was just “come play Rock Band and HMX will bring the TV and stuff,” then yeah, there’s not much value in doing something you can do for free at home. But as you start answering yes to more questions like the ones above, you can safely up the price and people that you want to be there will gladly pay it.

Just judging by the interest here, I’d be willing to take a risk and make the cover at least $20. Even if you don't hit your attendance goal and you find out $20 is too much, the people that go will have an excellent time, and they'll tell their friends for the next time when the price drops.

-Jaime

*The HMX/IB/Giant Bomb Rock Band Night probably sold a bunch more tickets just because Giant Bomb filled the judges panel and those guys are hilarious. Tapping into built-in fan bases is always a win-win with partnerships like these.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited January 2013
    It all depends. Is this the final stop of the final leg of the final tour?
    edited January 2013
    Seems crazy that this was posted the Wednesday before what was posted today on Friday was posted.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited January 2013
    $20 seems like a pittance to get into a Rock Band Party. Playing the game with fellow fans is a nirvana I've only gotten to experience a small handful of times.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Well Aaron. I'd be lying if I told you I hadn't given this much thought. I have, and some things have occured to me.

It's fair to say only a small chunk of the hardcore fans are international. I won't count Canada (As its literally next door), but places like Europe, Australia etc. Given this, its fair to say that these fans wouldn't be able to easily get to one of these nights.

Also, given that RB doesn't have the largest gaming community around, you wouldn't be bringing events like this to places like the UK or AUS, mainly due to it costing too much and not having enough people to attend.

Would I be correct in assuming this? Moving on though, how much would you say it would cost to get a group of us foreigners to the US for a weekend to experience one of these legendary RB nights?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited January 2013
    Munnchy;4958102 said:
    Well Aaron. I'd be lying if I told you I hadn't given this much thought. I have, and some things have occured to me.

It's fair to say only a small chunk of the hardcore fans are international. I won't count Canada (As its literally next door), but places like Europe, Australia etc. Given this, its fair to say that these fans wouldn't be able to easily get to one of these nights.

Also, given that RB doesn't have the largest gaming community around, you wouldn't be bringing events like this to places like the UK or AUS, mainly due to it costing too much and not having enough people to attend.

Would I be correct in assuming this? Moving on though, how much would you say it would cost to get a group of us foreigners to the US for a weekend to experience one of these legendary RB nights?

pretty much this, the best I could hope for would be at Gamescon in Germany, and I even doubt that.