Back in the game!

blink182punkblink182punk Unsigned
edited January 2013 in Rock Band
I took about a 6 month haitus from Rock Band (remodeled basement, had a baby, etc.). I recently got back into playing and found a new love for the game. I really think some time away was needed, it really made me appreciate the game. I hear rumors that the dlc may stop sometime in 2013 and I hope its not true (just downloaded 20 new songs and bought the Mustang Fender).

What i'm getting at, is maybe some time away is needed for everyone. I've played every night this week and I didn't even do that when I played back in the day. My hope, if they don't release RB 4 on the current platforms, is a new title for the next gen consoles. If that happens, I really hope the DL songs would transfer, I would assume they would.

I have a few questions (PS3):

1. Does anyone have the Fender Precision Bass??? I found it on Ebay for $55 shipped which seems like a good deal. I only paid $50 for the Mustang.

2. Who still carries the Ions? I saw them on Walmarts website for $250 but they are no longer available. I use the GH World Tour drums currently and prefer them over the RB 3 drums.

Comments

• XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    Welcome back! (sadly I can't answer your questions :D)
  • BeaversBeavers Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    Good for you. I'm kind of new to the series, and I'm addicted to it.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    I got a Precision Bass free with my Mustang by purchasing it on Black Friday (2011?). It looks really nice, and it is larger than the normal RB guitar and features tuning pegs that really turn. But it's known for having connection problems. Sure enough, mine suffers from this too. If I am any further than 6 feet away from the USB stick / dongle, it will start missing notes like crazy. Even if I stand very close to it (by plugging it in to my powered hub and then placing it right near me), it'll still drop out every once in a while, as much as every other song. And it will also spontaneously decide that I'm trying to change the tone every once in a while, which also breaks my combo.

I almost never use it.

I've heard that some people had models that behaved even worse than that, and sent them back for ones that were mostly OK. But they haven't made any new instruments for a while, so you probably couldn't do that these days. Maybe they did indeed fix the problem completely with newer models (giving away the rest of the cranky ones on Black Friday?!?), and that's the one you'll buy. But I personally wouldn't take that risk unless you knew you could return it easily if it turned out to be one of the stubborn models.

Welcome back to Rock Band, the game that will never* die, even after they stop making DLC.

* online play not guaranteed forever, though it seems likely that will continue for years
  • drum-machinedrum-machine Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    If there's talking about Ps3 precision Bass, I can say that almost all of the first generation of them had connection issues. However second generation seems to be ok, since there are not many voices complaining about it.

So here is some help to distinguish the generations:

1. Generation - red, green and white - "white" neck (bad connectivity)

2. Generation - pink, black - brown neck (connectivity seems to be ok)

If I'm wrong and there are some other generations and colors, please correct me.
  • blink182punkblink182punk Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the replies, I wasn't aware of the connection issues. I was looking at the 2nd Gen (brown neck) online. Maybe i'll hold off for awhile and see if it drops in price.
  • stixman6stixman6 Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    blink182punk;4967785 said:
    Thanks for the replies, I wasn't aware of the connection issues. I was looking at the 2nd Gen (brown neck) online. Maybe i'll hold off for awhile and see if it drops in price.
    If anything I think the price may go up due to the slow down/stoppage of DLC and no forecasted new title on the horizon. I know the Strat/Telecaster prices on Amazon have shot up since the announcement a few weeks ago.
    edited January 2013
    I thought the same thing, but i've been browsing Ebay and seen some really good deals in the $50 range for brand new pro guitars. Found the ions for $250 on Amazon which seems cheap too. I'm having a few buddies over next weekend so i'm loading up on DLC for .99. Are all songs prior to RB3 now .99? Or is there just a sale? I'm debating whether or not to get everything I want now or slowly buy.
  • stixman6stixman6 Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    blink182punk;4967982 said:
    I thought the same thing, but i've been browsing Ebay and seen some really good deals in the $50 range for brand new pro guitars. Found the ions for $250 on Amazon which seems cheap too. I'm having a few buddies over next weekend so i'm loading up on DLC for .99. Are all songs prior to RB3 now .99? Or is there just a sale? I'm debating whether or not to get everything I want now or slowly buy.
    Cool ... good to hear. I'm not sure if everything prior to RB3 is on sale but it's +1100 songs. Link is here

The sale was originally thought to end in November coinciding with the actual 5-yr anniversary but it's still going strong. I believe HMX Henry has indicated he would announce well in advance a date it would potentially end.
  • RadionerdRadionerd Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    I'm back at it too and playing all my old songs on my new V-Drum is totally awesome, thanks to the Midi Pro adapter.
  • Razorhoof78Razorhoof78 Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    I would buy any instrument that's reasonably priced asap... Ps3 strats are going as high as $300 online right now. The Mustangs are cheap because apparently nobody's bought them. Trust me when I say stay away from the IONs - save the extra $$$ & buy a cheap e-kit and a MIDI Pro adapter. Unless you're not planning on playing pro drums.

As for dlc being compatible on the next consoles... If you're playing on Ps3 I'd say the chance of that is almost exactly zero. Well, there's a chance that dlc (or any digital content) will work but the disc would have to run in order for the dlc to be worth anything. Due to the Ps3's C/GPU & OS architecture I don't see it happening. XBox probably has a 50/50 shot. We'll find out in March or April.
  • drum-machinedrum-machine Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    As for dlc being compatible on the next consoles... If you're playing on Ps3 I'd say the chance of that is almost exactly zero. Well, there's a chance that dlc (or any digital content) will work but the disc would have to run in order for the dlc to be worth anything. Due to the Ps3's C/GPU & OS architecture I don't see it happening.
    I disagree with it. Look at the ps2 singstar series - old discs didn't work themselves, but You could run their content with a ps3 disc. All we need on new playstation is a new Rock Band game and it (content transfer) can be done even with download only by now. I would rather worry if M$ will make old instruments work with the new console, because of their controller policy. No worries for the rest, when all the wii's and ps3's gear is USB and that means universal.
    edited January 2013
    I would think HMX would make a killing off of a new title for the next gen consoles along with dlc transfer. It sounds like the PS4 will not be backwards compatible. I wonder if we will see RB3 in the Playstation store in the future. I would sure DL it just to be able to play on the new platform. Think thats possible?
  • RadionerdRadionerd Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    If ever there is a Rock Band 4, HMX has to let us import all our DLC.

No way I'll ever buy 300+ songs another time. =/