What's your dream job?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited January 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Do you have it? Do you have only one? Have you always had only one?

My dream job is to make movies for a living. I'm quite sure of that now, but I've had my eyes on other things in years past. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a reporter. I have 9/11 to thank for getting me off that path. Not 9/11 itself. For as horrible as it was, I understood it was a newsworthy (to say the least) thing that happened. I even saved a few newspapers from that day for a while, until I realized I didn't really want them. No, it was a few weeks later when there was a big fuss about airing cell phone calls that came off the hijacked planes. I thought this was exploitative and wrong, and it made me realize that that's a lot of what journalism is.

Then for a time I wanted to do music production. Honing in on it I guess, not a spectacularly far cry from visual arts. I actually took some college coursework in audio production and produced an album and a demo tape for local bands. Fun as hell...but there's really no future there. It takes a colossal up-front investment to get there.

And while making movies may never be my 'job' per se -- I doubt I'll end up in Hollywood -- it's much easier to get started in that. I'm quite sure I'll have something produced this year :D It's very exciting.

Comments

• SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    Just as long as you have eyes and don't cry blood, mmk? :)
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited January 2013
    I can promise one or the other. Not both, unless you are willing to double my pay.
    edited January 2013
    You're fired.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited January 2013
    No I'm not.
    edited January 2013
    OH GOD HE'S GONNA HAUNT MY NIGHTMARES! Aaaahhhh!!!!!
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    A professional musician would be #1 or a guitar tech roadie for a successful band would be awesome. Music producer would be another....

Yeah, pretty much anything to do with music, the only sad part is that most careers that have to do with music you have a very slim chance of being successful and you have to start at the very bottom to get anywhere with little money and struggling to survive. I was originally going to go to school for audio/sound engineering until I found out tuition was outrageously expensive number one and number two, the pay wasn't that great unless you owned/co-owned your own studio or something which again requires a lot of up-front cost. So, considering that, I went ahead and applied for mechanical engineering school and that's what I'll most likely be doing. Sitting at a desk, messing around with CAD and Solidworks making things. It is fun and I don't mind doing it, but it wasn't my number one.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Ultimate dream job: Musician or Filmmaker.
  • edited January 2013
    I honestly don't know. I wish I was really passionate about something but there really is nothing.

My brother has been kicking around an idea for comic shop/caf
  • edited January 2013
    Cats suck. Dogs are where it's at.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I imagine you already know what I'd do...
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited January 2013
    Probably working in a music store or something, nothing special as long as i can listen to sweet music all day long :3
    nascargo19;4969090 said:
    Yeah, I imagine you already know what I'd do...
    Astronaut?
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited January 2013
    Photographer
  • DominusVitaDominusVita Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    3 Come to mind. An actor, a drummer, or a writer for a video game.
  • edited January 2013
    If I'm completely honest, my dream job would be not working at all, and just living a life of leisure. I really am the kind of person who works to live and not the other way around. I've also found that after a longer period of time, even the most fun activity becomes a chore when it's your actual job and you HAVE to do it as opposed to having the choice to engage in said activity.

But as far as an ideal job is concerned, I guess what I do now is pretty close to it: it involves two things I enjoy (language and TV/movies), but in such an indirect manner that it doesn't ruin either of those things for me, it allows me a lot of independence, and I don't have to leave my house for it or have to deal with people. Pretty much everything I want in a job.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2013
    Investigative or embedded reporter for a large news organization. Basically what my heroes Ernie Pyle (war correspondent for WWII) or Nellie Bly (the original American investigative reporter) popularized and did better than pretty much everyone since. Bly brought down an entire corrupt mental institution by faking insanity.

Coming in at a close second would be social worker and/or parole officer.
    edited January 2013
    Der_Lex;4969120 said:
    If I'm completely honest, my dream job would be not working at all, and just living a life of leisure. I really am the kind of person who works to live and not the other way around. I've also found that after a longer period of time, even the most fun activity becomes a chore when it's your actual job and you HAVE to do it as opposed to having the choice to engage in said activity.

trust me, never having to do anything gets boring as well :p
  • edited January 2013
    I have two kids, so 'not having a job' does not equate 'not doing anything'. Often the quieter part of my day is the part that I spend working, rather than the part when I'm taking care of them. ;)
    edited January 2013
    hmmm, where can i buy these "kids" things you speak of?
  • edited January 2013
    They're supposedly pretty easy to get in third world countries if you want to go that route. Then again, I've always been more of a fan of the home-made approach to them. Might as well have some fun before you shackle yourself for life. ;)
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited January 2013
    Musician or Programmer.

Or, you know, nothing.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    I wanna give music theory lectures/kickass concerts. I could teach theory through the music and have a bunch of different genres from classical to dubstep to flamenco
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited January 2013
    Managing a video game studio.
    I used to want to be the guy in charge of the projects, but now it's turned into wanting to be the head honcho.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited January 2013
    I don't really a have a dream job. Just working a permanent job with full time hours I guess would be ok. Which I am right now. So that's good :)
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited January 2013
    I wanted to go into game programming since 6th grade

still my dream job
  • edited January 2013
    Retirement.. Like Lex said.

But also like Lex said, I actually have my dream job right now. Own my own business, work from my home office and make my own hours and I work with people who love bicycles and riding them.

Eh... it's a living.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited January 2013
    Well my dream job of being a freelance artist turned to crap after lawsuits, flaky business partners, and difficult clients. Now my dream job is to run a multilingual graphic arts company in Europe.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    I design games for slot machines. It pretty much is my dream job.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    my dream job is to not work. get paid for nothing. i don't even want to show up
  • charliesmilecharliesmile Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4968991 said:
    What's your dream job?

This is my dream job: link
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    topdrawer;4969285 said:
    my dream job is to not work. get paid for nothing. i don't even want to show up
    AKA: The American Way :p