Best of 2012

timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
edited January 2013 in History of Rock
As of the past few weeks I have been mulling over all that was music in 2012, and have been semi-formulating a year end best of list.

It's never quite gelled with me to do this sort of thing in late November/early December, as it seems rather hurried for my own tastes. I like letting everything sink in a bit and coming to my conclusions in a more drawn out manner. This is why I rather like Pazz and Jop's method of releasing their year end in January after the dust has settled.

I have been rather sparse around these parts so I was hoping for some meaningful discourse with some of my old friends and as well a few new ones. So go ahead and share your own thoughts, or feel free to comment on mine. Tear that sucker a new one.

ALBUMS
20. Twin Shadow - Confess
I'm not gonna lie, I was a tad disappointed at first; nothing was quite as shimmery as the summer vibes of Forget, but regardless it functions quite well as a lost soundtrack to a film John Hughes should have made. Key track: Run My Heart
19. Gucci Mane - Trap God
One of my favorite mixtapes of the past year, Gucci Mane slings verbal rocks as the bass knocks on 100. Key track: Sometimes ft. Future
18. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
The vocals are sparse, the riffs are molten, even the cymbals have the tink of the Grim Reaper. This would probably have been a little higher if I had ever gotten stoned to it. Key track: Foreigner
17. Dwele - Greater Than One
While everyone was hyping up Frank Ocean (who I like a lot), another R&B collaborator of Kanye West's went out and made his sexiest album yet. Key track: Obey
16. Metro Zu - Mink Rug
The guys who this year showed up every other swag rapper. Almost every beat is a chest bumping, lurid dreamscape. Key track: Preach
15. [B]Alcest - [I]Les Voyages De L'

Comments

• Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    really liked the frank ocean track, would probably make my own top 20 songs

mature themes was a big disappointment to me at first, and upon repeated listens it just became less of a disappointment as opposed to something that really revealed itself as great

kendrick lamar is quite possibly my least favorite rapper just by nature of the hype:quality ratio for me. i've never liked anything of his that much and to be constantly told he's a visionary peeved me. better hip hop this year was coming out of kitty pryde (that's equal parts derision of kendrick for being lesser and bolstering of kitty for being quite decently ok)

chromatics was good, but i went and overplayed it :( fun story, the first time i heard it was the drumless alternative version that GvB made available for download, and i continue to prefer that one.

i think i posted my tops of 2012 somewhere, so i won't repeat it here. excited to see the thread get underway a little more and sorry i couldn't contribute more positives (i didn't hear most of the stuff here)
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    Rocket2Russia;4969700 said:
    really liked the frank ocean track, would probably make my own top 20 songs

mature themes was a big disappointment to me at first, and upon repeated listens it just became less of a disappointment as opposed to something that really revealed itself as great

kendrick lamar is quite possibly my least favorite rapper just by nature of the hype:quality ratio for me. i've never liked anything of his that much and to be constantly told he's a visionary peeved me. better hip hop this year was coming out of kitty pryde (that's equal parts derision of kendrick for being lesser and bolstering of kitty for being quite decently ok)

chromatics was good, but i went and overplayed it :( fun story, the first time i heard it was the drumless alternative version that GvB made available for download, and i continue to prefer that one.

i think i posted my tops of 2012 somewhere, so i won't repeat it here. excited to see the thread get underway a little more and sorry i couldn't contribute more positives (i didn't hear most of the stuff here)

unfortunately this place seems to a bit dead. As for hip-hop there are six other hip-hop albums I listed that run the gamut of trap (Gucci, Future), conscious (Ab-Soul), party (ScHoolboy), cloud (Metro Zu), and avant garde (Zeroh). As for Kendrick, I wouldn't call him a visionary but he released an incredibly cohesive statement, and to deny his innate talent on the mic is shortsighted. I'd definitely check out the other 6 albums I listed, even if there style isn't usually your thing.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    I was very surprised there wasn't more love the new Neil Young, but what do I know in a world that enjoys Kendrick Lamar?
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited January 2013
    That new Neil Young was great. I also honestly don't think I've heard anything from Kendrick Lamar, though I do know who he is.
    edited January 2013
    afterstasis;4970097 said:
    I was very surprised there wasn't more love the new Neil Young, but what do I know in a world that enjoys Kendrick Lamar?
    I think it's because at this point it's almost expected from the guy. He's released over 15 classic or near classic albums that span nearly every decade he's been around except for the 80's, and even then he was making highly interesting material. To be honest, 15 years from now I won't be surprised if I am playing Psychedelic Pill more than any other album on this list. And :( at the Kendrick thing. I realize most hip-hop isn't your thing butthis is phenomenal.
    clashcityrocker10;4970119 said:
    That new Neil Young was great. I also honestly don't think I've heard anything from Kendrick Lamar, though I do know who he is.
    I'll be honest and say he's probably not for everyone. Really depends on your penchant for hip-hop.
    edited January 2013
    Timmay, did you listen to Le Noise? I think it's the best thing Neil's done since the 70's by a wide margin.
    edited January 2013
    afterstasis;4970269 said:
    Timmay, did you listen to Le Noise? I think it's the best thing Neil's done since the 70's by a wide margin.

Yeah it was one of those I'd include in the 15 classic/near classic NY records. I can't think of another artist whose work I get more enjoyment from.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2013
    I don't think I even knew there was a new Neil coming out last year, so it seems I'm still playing catchup despite my own payload. Nice to see Tim poking his around again nonetheless and I really wish I had more to add to the discussion. What I can say though is Kendrick is honestly nothing special and there is so much mediocre sampling and lame beats all over the record with a "decent flow and dynamic" rapper over it. Just because it has a concept doesn't make it good in my eyes.
    edited January 2013
    Gowienczyk;4970386 said:
    I don't think I even knew there was a new Neil coming out last year, so it seems I'm still playing catchup despite my own payload. Nice to see Tim poking his around again nonetheless and I really wish I had more to add to the discussion. What I can say though is Kendrick is honestly nothing special and there is so much mediocre sampling and lame beats all over the record with a "decent flow and dynamic" rapper over it. Just because it has a concept doesn't make it good in my eyes.

if you are still going through some records I suggest maybe checking out the Zeroh album, also Blu & Exile's Give Me Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them.

I updated this to include some honorable mentions, even though I left off a couple I liked (Fiona Apple, Odd Future, Blu & Exile, El-P, and others). I honestly could have made this a top 50 if I had felt more up to it.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    I was going to dispute one omission in the OPs list but then I did a little research and this is my conclusion:

I really don't think I want to live in a world where Rush releases their best album since Moving Pictures and it's not on one top 50 list of 2012. The horror.
    edited January 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;4971291 said:
    I was going to dispute one omission in the OPs list but then I did a little research and this is my conclusion:

I really don't think I want to live in a world where Rush releases their best album since Moving Pictures and it's not on one top 50 list of 2012. The horror.

I really could care less about a rehash of classic Rush. I can listen to Hemispheres if I feel like it.

I'm not even going to listen to it.
    edited January 2013
    timmay9;4971299 said:
    I really could care less about a rehash of classic Rush. I can listen to Hemispheres if I feel like it.

I'm not even going to listen to it.

So you haven't even listened to an album from a Rock and Roll HOF inductee and you want your list to be taken seriously? Nevermind. Your list is invalid. And it's "couldn't care less".
    edited January 2013
    I listened to over 1,000 albums released in 2012, but never even considered checking out the new Rush LP.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;4971291 said:

I'd still consider Presto a better album, but not because of any sort of progressive influences... rather because of the complete absence of them. It really was one of the best AOR albums of the 1980s.

I wouldn't consider Clockwork Angels to be that much better than Snakes & Arrows, and that wasn't an amazing album, just pretty good.
    edited January 2013
    Vapor Trails was the last Rush LP I heard in full. My girlfriend at the time was working at a Cat's Music and they were starved for listenable new promos, so we gave it a shot.

It wasn't really bad or anything, but I hope to never revisit it.
    edited January 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;4971306 said:
    So you haven't even listened to an album from a Rock and Roll HOF inductee and you want your list to be taken seriously? Nevermind. Your list is invalid. And it's "couldn't care less".

are the words "rock and roll hall of fame" supposed to mean something to me? And yes my list is invalid because I don't feel like listening to the newest album from a dinosaur band. Nevermind the hundreds of excellent records that have been released by much fresher bands.
    edited January 2013
    afterstasis;4971327 said:
    Vapor Trails was the last Rush LP I heard in full. My girlfriend at the time was working at a Cat's Music and they were starved for listenable new promos, so we gave it a shot.

It wasn't really bad or anything, but I hope to never revisit it.

They've only released two albums since then, so you haven't missed much.
    edited January 2013
    timmay9;4971331 said:
    are the words "rock and roll hall of fame" supposed to mean something to me? And yes my list is invalid because I don't feel like listening to the newest album from a dinosaur band. Nevermind the hundreds of excellent records that have been released by much fresher bands.

But you felt like listening to Neil Young, a dinosaur.
    edited January 2013
    But Neil Young is still interesting.
    edited January 2013
    clashcityrocker10;4971348 said:
    But Neil Young is still interesting.

That's debatable.
    edited January 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;4971346 said:
    But you felt like listening to Neil Young, a dinosaur.

Neil Young has several different voices (hard rocker, countryman, singer songwriter) and usually throws in a stab at a new sound every couple of albums which keeps him from becoming stale. Rush has basically one sound which at one point they honed down to a science. Which to me got stale by Signals.
    edited January 2013
    killer_roach;4971350 said:
    That's debatable.

Not a fan of his latest? Or Le Noise?
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Really, the only use I have for Rush anymore are their live shows. I haven't cared for an album of theirs since the 80's.

And this is coming from someone who buys Iron Maiden's new releases the moment they come out.
    edited January 2013
    clashcityrocker10;4971542 said:
    Not a fan of his latest? Or Le Noise?

He's decent enough, but yeah... nothing particularly interesting for some time.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    I'm reminded that I need to check out Neil's new album. If it's anything like Le Noise, I need it.
    edited January 2013
    killer_roach;4971608 said:

Fair enough.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    I didn't listen to too many new albums in 12, but of the ones I did:

1. Coheed and Cambria- The Afterman: Decension
    2. Japandroids- Celebration Rock
    3. Silversun Pickups- Neck of the Woods
    4. Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid M.A.A.D City
    5. Childish Gambino- Royalty
    6. Frank Ocean- Channel Orange
    7. Green Day- Uno!
    8. Various Artists- Hotline:Miami Soundtrack
    9.Green Day- Dos!
    10. Green Day- Tre!

Hey I guess I did listen to ten, lol.

The leader in the clubhouse for '13 is the second half of the new Coheed record, which is even better than the first. The new Dear Hunter album could definitely challenge for it, though.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2013
    That "best" album is just a rehash of their previous two or three albums, so the concept of Rush needing to be acknowledged is hollow and worthless.
    killer_roach;4971608 said:

I felt Le Noise and Prarie Wind were interesting enough to warrant his modern output beyond "decent enough", Neil is not over-the-hill.
    edited January 2013
    Gowienczyk;4971809 said:
    That "best" album is just a rehash of their previous two or three albums, so the concept of Rush needing to be acknowledged is hollow and worthless.

I'd say prior two, with a few occasional nods to earlier material (oddly enough, most evident in the less proggy moments, with some stuff reminiscent of Power Windows or Roll The Bones).