"Buy DLC" Links via RockBand.com for PS3?

Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
edited February 2013 in Rock Band
Now that the Playstation Store is accessible from any internet browser, do you think HMX should add links to download the song for the PS3 aswell as the 360 from the song's song page? I would love if they did. usually Id word this better, but right now Im having a total vocabulary brain fart, so I hope you get the gist of what i mean.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    It would take a long time to add a link for every song and pack but it would be neat.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    I don't think you can have direct links for PSN stuff.

EDIT: Oh, crap. I just overread the "Online store" part. Well, I don't know. Maybe it might be too much work.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Highly unlikelyif it requires any kind of work. They've already said they have little to no Rockband resources left.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    It would be a nice thing to have but it's hardly essential.

Just having a decent online store that you can purchase from without dropouts and no longer having to use that terrible psn store on the console is good enough.
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    It would take a long time to copy-paste some links to their songs? I highly doubt that. Once the links were up and running it would take 10 minutes tops.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    PlatStrat;4974057 said:
    It would take a long time to copy-paste some links to their songs? I highly doubt that. Once the links were up and running it would take 10 minutes tops.
    It would take a long time to copy-paste about 3,000 links to over 2,800 (?) pages.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited January 2013
    PlatStrat;4974057 said:

You underestimate the matter significantly, I'm afraid.

There are 2,740 songs available for sale on PS3. Even if it only took 10 seconds to load the PS3 page, load the HTML for the song page, copy the link, and paste it into RockBand.com, that's still 7.6 hours of work. It would also cause site downtime every Tuesday as we updated the new song pages.

But that's not how the site is built. (You can tell because we don't have downtime every Tuesday.) Instead, song pages are created dynamically, and the Xbox purchase links on RockBand.com are automatically updated and inserted by a system that is over two years old and is absolutely not compatible with the new PS3 online store.

Consequently, we'd have to redesign the song page (to accommodate the new buy link), rebuild the song page (to include the new buy link), and then build an entirely new back end system to pull song links off the PS3 online store and insert them into the new song page. We would also have to build an explanation popup (as you can see on the Xbox purchase) And then we'd have to QA everything.

In sum, this would require work from at least 5 people, and rather a bit more than 10 minutes.
  • HairyManHairyMan Always Rock On The Bright Side Of Life
    edited January 2013
    HMXLachesis;4974090 said:

There are 2,740 songs available for sale on PS3. Even if it only took 10 seconds to load the PS3 page, load the HTML for the song page, copy the link, and paste it into RockBand.com, that's still 7.6 hours of work. It would also cause site downtime every Tuesday as we updated the new song pages.

But that's not how the site is built. (You can tell because we don't have downtime every Tuesday.) Instead, song pages are created dynamically, and the Xbox purchase links on RockBand.com are automatically updated and inserted by a system that is over two years old and is absolutely not compatible with the new PS3 online store.

Consequently, we'd have to redesign the song page (to accommodate the new buy link), rebuild the song page (to include the new buy link), and then build an entirely new back end system to pull song links off the PS3 online store and insert them into the new song page. We would also have to build an explanation popup (as you can see on the Xbox purchase) And then we'd have to QA everything.

In sum, this would require work from at least 5 people, and rather a bit more than 10 minutes.

So you're saying there's a chance............... ;) :p :D
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    haha. Explanation received, hope lost:p
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    I'm sorry I misunderstood, I thought that he was referring basically editing the announcement forum post with the links as they become available. Also I was not thinking about doing this retroactively just moving forward.
  • MaximusDMMaximusDM Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    HMXLachesis;4974090 said:

It would still seem worth it so long as people actually use it to give you their money. Not sure if you can track purchases through the website vs on the console. But since the PSN store on PS3 has turned to complete sluggish, hard to navigate, trash after becoming its own application. and getting pro upgrades on the crashing in game store is a meta-game in itself. I'd opt for the website everytime.
    You'd only have to do it one time anyway and moving forward with new songs shouldn't be that much of a hassle to convenience people.

But I guess the way you look at is, if people are gonna buy it, they are going to be willing to jump through some hoops to get to it if need be.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    Remember, this is the company that's shifted nearly all of their resources away from RB. It probably would not be worth it bearing their current direction in mind.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited January 2013
    MaximusDM;4974268 said:
    It would still seem worth it so long as people actually use it to give you their money.
    The number of people who would have to use the link would have to be enough for them to make significantly more money off of it than it would cost a team of people to implement it.

On the other hand, a generic link to the PSN online store Rock Band section might be pretty easy to put in place. Still unlikely to happen.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited January 2013
    I don't see how this is important at all, how many people would even use it?!??
    edited January 2013
    Dangimarocker;4974400 said:

At this stage, not many.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Actually, it's the same number of people who'd flock to Rock Band if only HMX did something specific that totally isn't an attempt to cater to a small minority!
    edited January 2013
    Santa Claustrophobia;4974417 said:
    Actually, it's the same number of people who'd flock to Rock Band if only HMX did something specific that totally isn't an attempt to cater to a small minority!
    This makes no sense. Are you saying HMX caters to a small minority almost all the time? Or that there's no large majority waiting flock to Rock band? Or is this some poor attempt at sarcasm?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    Dangimarocker;4974400 said:

i would. pretty convenient to buy the songs on the computer during the day and then just DL them once i get home. but yeah, probably not enough people are even buying DLC, let alone in this particular way, to make it worth HMX's while.

i haven't used the online PS3 store yet. how exactly does that work? when you log onto the PS3 at home, is there a list somewhere of the songs you've purchased online, so you can DL them easily, or do you have to go back in the store and search for them again?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    They show up in your download history. You do have to open the in-console store, but you don't have to pull up the specific items again (though it would probably work if you did it that way, too).
    edited January 2013
    tnevaker;4974781 said:
    i would. pretty convenient to buy the songs on the computer during the day and then just DL them once i get home. but yeah, probably not enough people are even buying DLC, let alone in this particular way, to make it worth HMX's while.
    Yes, but you're buying songs anyway, so that's not bringing in more money.
    edited January 2013
    tnevaker;4974781 said:

i haven't used the online PS3 store yet. how exactly does that work? when you log onto the PS3 at home, is there a list somewhere of the songs you've purchased online, so you can DL them easily, or do you have to go back in the store and search for them again?

You log in through the online store with your psn account and purchase the songs you want then when you go back to your ps3 those songs appear in your transaction history and you can download them.

There is also an update coming for ps3 where it will automatically download the songs to make it even easier.
    edited January 2013
    nuttzo31;4975175 said:
    There is also an update coming for ps3 where it will automatically download the songs to make it even easier.
    Surprised that isn't a + only thing (it may be).
    edited January 2013
    Bront20;4975179 said:
    Surprised that isn't a + only thing (it may be).

Here's where i read about the automatic updates and it doesn't mention it being a + only feature.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/24/introducing-the-new-sony-entertainment-network-online-store/
    edited January 2013
    nuttzo31;4975208 said:
    Here's where i read about the automatic updates and it doesn't mention it being a + only feature.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/24/introducing-the-new-sony-entertainment-network-online-store/
    Yeah, not very specific either way.

I'm a + member anyway, so it won't bother me.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    What's wrong with just searching the web store every week? Hell, they're even in the new releases section.