Does Rockband still make instruments?

panda100123panda100123 Unsigned
edited February 2013 in Rock Band
Are instruments, ect. still in production? Or third-party sellers is the only way to go? Also, is there any new games that may possibly come out? Or is there an official statement that it's over?

Comments

• machetemonkeymachetemonkey Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    panda100123;4975810 said:
    Are instruments, ect. still in production? Or third-party sellers is the only way to go? Also, is there any new games that may possibly come out? Or is there an official statement that it's over?

The official statement is that Harmonix is not currently working on any new Rock Band games.
  • MackieMackie Rising Star
    edited January 2013
    Mad catz is the official maker of rock band instruments. However I don't think they are currently making anymore. They do got some for sale at their online though.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    HMX never themselves mass-produced the instruments, as far as I'm aware. It's all MadCatz. And they're sure not making anything more. Haven't for probably a year and a half to two years now.
  • WaldoPepperWaldoPepper Unsigned
    edited January 2013
    If you go for guitar, the only instrument still in production is the YouRockGuitar, most recently released in the second generation.

It can be played in both, normal and pro mode but the 5 button mode is none of its strong sides, as far as I heard.

I have the Mustang, the YRG and my recently aquired Squier. Of all three I find the Mustang the easiest, the Squier the most realistic (no wonder ;-) and the YRG by far the most fun...

By the way, since the prices for Mustangs differ a lot between consoles, the Wii Mustang can be played thru any of the three MIDI adapters...
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    I've only just recently discovered the Jamstik from a company called Zivix. Not yet out and a MSRP of around $250 these look like the way I will be going if anything happens to my Mustang.

Not sure how you're expected to move beyond the six frets, but I'm guessing that there is something that allows you to toggle down the neck like the octave +/- buttons on most keyboards.

Even if this won't work with RB I think I'll be getting it because they've got a very RB like interface that I prefer over the RS interface.

The thing uses a patented IR sensor to "see" your fingers on the fretboard. How cool is that?

http://www.zivix.net/index.php/2011/11/welcome/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkd-IywG-60
    edited January 2013
    Whow! Someone should point Harmonix and Fender to those guys. What they are describing under "Technology" is exactly what I would like to see in the successor of the RB MIDI Squier...

The MIDI approach is so much better than the note pitch calculations done in RockSmith and BandFuse...
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    MadCatz made landfills.

Too bad people didn't recycle the instruments.
    edited February 2013
    defdog99;4976281 said:
    MadCatz made landfills.

Too bad people didn't recycle the instruments.

...meaning?
    edited February 2013
    WaldoPepper;4976577 said:
    ...meaning?

Lots of folks simply threw away their axes.

I'm not totally sure if that's true or not though. I live in a town that was simply crushed by hurricane Sandy. Where I live the Ocean met the Bay and there wasn't any real estate that wasn't under a minimum of three feet (I got five feet) of salt water for around eight hours.

In the aftermath everyone cleared out their damaged goods for removal. Furniture, TVs, Pool tables etc.

There wasn't a single block around here that didn't also leave out heaps of Rock Band drums and guitars.

I'm guessing that there are people that keep their gear in their basements ignored and gathering dust and that it's less likely they simply tossed their stuff out before the storm ruined it all (at least where I live).

Your mileage may vary.
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Do any of you think that beyond the handful of players that visit this forum, there are that many RB players anymore? The game & genre are essentially dead.
    edited February 2013
    B-but-but....Call Me Maybe sold like billions of downloads!! ;\
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4975833 said:
    HMX never themselves mass-produced the instruments, as far as I'm aware. It's all MadCatz. And they're sure not making anything more. Haven't for probably a year and a half to two years now.

Harmonix was responsible for the Rock Band 1, 2 and the Beatles instruments So at that point yes they were responsible for the mass production sort of. i know this info really isn't necessary..... continue wih op
  • Iceman71421Iceman71421 Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    I think EA did the instrument production, not HMX.
    edited February 2013
    I think the genre is far from dead...

Rocksmith is running well, BandFuse is in the Pipeline.

If Harmonix would realy want to participate, there is still a community that is willing to buy.

Focus on the Pro Mode but deliver 5-button mode as a legacy....

I would like it ;-)
    edited February 2013
    WaldoPepper;4977293 said:
    I think the genre is far from dead...

Rocksmith is running well, BandFuse is in the Pipeline.

If Harmonix would realy want to participate, there is still a community that is willing to buy.

Focus on the Pro Mode but deliver 5-button mode as a legacy....

I would like it ;-)

And it seems that no one is going to be throwing any bones to drums or keyboards in the "next generation" of rhythm games, so HMX could still steal the show by catering to these players as well as the GRYBO crowd that everyone seems to want to move away from.
    edited February 2013
    If HMX were to make a new RB game (which by the way, they're not) they wouldn't want to be johnny-come-latelies on the "use any guitar" bandwagon. They'd still do their own thing.
  • MackieMackie Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Nah, if HMX do surprise us with a rb4 and if they also decide on keeping pro mode, they would certainly go the bring-your-own-guitar route. I think they already discovered that people are typically not interested in buying fake real guitars. People are barely interested in buying real fake guitars.
  • vexx0820vexx0820 Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    jwebb1970;4977208 said:
    Do any of you think that beyond the handful of players that visit this forum, there are that many RB players anymore? The game & genre are essentially dead.

I suspect the download purchases say otherwise. There are several threads just for acquiring and maintaining instruments.
  • LetsRockLetsRock Unsigned
    jwebb1970 said:

That's a ludicrous statement. I still throw hugely decadent Rock Band parties where 5 buttons is perfect when everybody's too drunk to jam for real.

Yes, I bump zombie threads.
  • Well at least you're clearly a real person. Some of these necros have got to be spambots, pulling up threads from like 2007 and adding nothing to them.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Pretty certain a lot of necros are from spambots but feel too uncertain to actually report them.

However, I have to agree with @jwebb1970, in that the Rock Band playerbase is pretty rapidly dwindling, in light of no new updates and lack of instruments. Rock Band Parties can still be a thing because it's a community experience--those are always awesome. However, fewer and fewer people want to play in the privacy of their own homes (or everyone wants to play less often), for the reason of "just because"--for Harmonix to keep Rock Band viable, people need to be playing for the sake of playing, not because it's awesome at parties. And unfortunately, anecdotal experiences of hosting awesome parties is nothing in the face if whatever measurements Harmonix is using to keep tabs on how many people are doing what.

Quite honestly, I can counter @LetsRock‌ 's anecdotes with ones of my own: ones where most of my friends have preferred that I trot out Cards Against Humanity because it's a game that more people can play it at once and everyone has a laugh. It's cost me a lot less in terms of money out of pocket and even though it can't technically be shipped to where I live everyone's found ways around that.

I still play Rock Band, and I will continue loving it until the day I die (if I have to stockpile a bunch of 360s in order to keep playing, then so be it). However, my friends--much as they may enjoy playing it at my place--have probably seen all the stuff I keep around my place, as well as the money I've invested to get it to where it is, and decided that they won't ever be that invested in the game, and it's a lot easier to find someone in the States/UK to hold onto a box of CAH for them than it is to find peripherals for a game that no longer really manufactures them.