Feb 20th - PS4 reveal

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited February 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
[video=youtube_share;d-3GMHIgR-U]

Reveal in 3 weeks, games shown off at E3 in June, and rumors have the release date as late August/early September to get a jump on the neXtBox which is being announced in March with a rumored Oct/Nov release date.

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited January 2013
    Stop calling it the neXtbox. STOP IT!
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited January 2013
    well, what are they calling it?
    edited January 2013
    Durango

The D is silent.

or you know you can just call it the next xbox. None of this mashing words ****.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited January 2013
    www1221;4976453 said:
    Durango

The D is silent.

or you know you can just call it the next xbox. None of this mashing words ****.

Urango? is that like slang for a urologist?
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited January 2013
    www1221;4976453 said:
    Durango

The D is silent.

If I'm remembering correctly, Durango is an outdated codename, but I can't recall the new name that Microsoft is using internally.

Similarly, Sony has been using Orbis as a codename, among others, but nobody knows for sure as to whether or not that will be official.
    edited January 2013
    killer_roach;4976484 said:
    If I'm remembering correctly, Durango is an outdated codename, but I can't recall the new name that Microsoft is using internally.

Similarly, Sony has been using Orbis as a codename, among others, but nobody knows for sure as to whether or not that will be official.

Just like the Gamecube's codename was Dolphin, which is still better than the WiiU. At least a dolphins a smart aquatic mammal as opposed to a phallic sound effect. .
    edited January 2013
    Witticus;4976488 said:
    Just like the Gamecube's codename was Dolphin, which is still better than the WiiU. At least a dolphins a smart aquatic mammal as opposed to a phallic sound effect. .

The Wii was Dolphin I believe which is why Wii emulators are called Dolphin.
    edited January 2013
    www1221;4976494 said:
    The Wii was Dolphin I believe which is why Wii emulators are called Dolphin.

Dolphin started out as a GameCube emulator. It added Wii support because, well... it's trivial to add (as the Wii was literally nothing more than a faster GameCube that supported OGL 2.0 shaders).
    edited January 2013
    Oh thats right the Wii was the Revolution. Still a better name.
    edited January 2013
    Does anyone know the Wii-U's codename or else I'll continue to refer to its code as "phallic sound effect"?
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited January 2013
    It was Project Cafe.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited January 2013
    www1221;4976417 said:
    Stop calling it the neXtbox. STOP IT!

Nope.

I refuse to call it the 720. It's not a tony hawk trick :P
    edited January 2013
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4976510 said:
    Nope.

Its not the 720 either! Its the next xbox or if you want to give it an actual name the Xbox 365! And 900 is the Tony Hawk trick.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited January 2013
    Any placeholder name is good as anything else as long as it's obvious what you're talking about, though I'm not sure why people are refer to the "Orbis" as if it's likely going to be called anything but PlayStation 4.
    edited January 2013
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4976510 said:
    Nope.

Looked it up... the most recent codename for the next Xbox is "Kryptos".
    DavidTLynchEsq;4976515 said:
    Any placeholder name is good as anything else as long as it's obvious what you're talking about, though I'm not sure why people are refer to the "Orbis" as if it's likely going to be called anything but PlayStation 4.
    Keep in mind the PSP2... oops, I mean "Vita".
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    About a 95% chance of no backwards compatibility for the PS4, people flipping out over this like it's the world is ending. Honestly, I don't see it as a big deal since most people interested in a PS4 already own a PS3, sooooooo just hang on to your PS3 when you want to play it. Tada!!! Problem solved. We did the same thing when the PS3 was being introduced. They were only a limited amount of backwards compatible PS3's, so when they stopped making them backwards compatible, everybody complained, until eventually nobody really cared anymore because it's not that big of a deal in the first place.
    edited February 2013
    Mega-Tallica;4976806 said:
    About a 95% chance of no backwards compatibility for the PS4, people flipping out over this like it's the world is ending. Honestly, I don't see it as a big deal since most people interested in a PS4 already own a PS3, sooooooo just hang on to your PS3 when you want to play it. Tada!!! Problem solved. We did the same thing when the PS3 was being introduced. They were only a limited amount of backwards compatible PS3's, so when they stopped making them backwards compatible, everybody complained, until eventually nobody really cared anymore because it's not that big of a deal in the first place.

Depends - if they end up being able to die-shrink Cell to 22nm, they could put it into the PS4 without much of an issue. (Additionally, they could potentially use the GPU to emulate the slave SPEs of Cell... there's always workarounds.)
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    You really think there's even a 5 percent chance of BC? And I said that to people about PS2/PS3 compatibility (just get a/keep your PS2) and I was told I was nuts. I still don't understand it. I have a PS2. I don't play it nearly as often as I do my PS3, but I still do sometimes. If the PS4 comes out this year, I figure I'll get one in 2015 or '16. My PS3 will keep me highly entertained, especially since I seriously doubt PS3 releases will just stop when the new console comes out. They sure didn't with the PS2 - see this? Yeah, that's a game that came out 3 months ago.

So the sky is not falling. Even if they do that rumored "always have to be online" thing so as to neuter the secondhand games market.
    edited February 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4976809 said:
    You really think there's even a 5 percent chance of BC?

At launch, I'd put it higher than 5%. Possibly as high as 50%. Don't want to cannibalize sales for upcoming AAA titles on the PS3, and, as I said above, the potential cost of a die-shrunk Cell is pretty low (in fact, I'm pretty sure most cell phone SoCs anymore are about as complex, if not more so).

Past that... no. It's not happening. You'll only see it, if at all, in the launch transitional models to either entice the people who were about to get a PS3 or the Sony diehards who overvalue their PS3 collection.
    edited February 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4976809 said:
    You really think there's even a 5 percent chance of BC? And I said that to people about PS2/PS3 compatibility (just get a/keep your PS2) and I was told I was nuts. I still don't understand it. I have a PS2. I don't play it nearly as often as I do my PS3, but I still do sometimes. If the PS4 comes out this year, I figure I'll get one in 2015 or '16. My PS3 will keep me highly entertained, especially since I seriously doubt PS3 releases will just stop when the new console comes out. They sure didn't with the PS2 - see this? Yeah, that's a game that came out 3 months ago.

So the sky is not falling. Even if they do that rumored "always have to be online" thing so as to neuter the secondhand games market.
    I don't get it either, but apparently it's a big issue with a lot of people. Just read some of the Yahoo comments. All the top comments are people complaining about no backwards compatibility and it's the same on many other sites. I don't understand the logic at all and I suppose if it escalates enough, Sony might consider making the PS4 backwards compatible (at least a limited amount like they did for the PS3, to shut people up about it not being backwards compatible), even though there's really no need for it. It's not a necessity, it's a feature.

I mean I wouldn't mind having that feature, but at the same time, it's not like it's a major inconvenience that it doesn't have it.
    edited February 2013
    Mega-Tallica;4976837 said:
    I don't get it either, but apparently it's a big issue with a lot of people. Just read some of the Yahoo comments. All the top comments are people complaining about no backwards compatibility and it's the same on many other sites. I don't understand the logic at all and I suppose if it escalates enough, Sony might consider making the PS4 backwards compatible, even though there's really no need for it. It's not a necessity, it's a feature.

/Yahoo comments

No, seriously, if they're second to YouTube, it's by a slender margin.
    edited February 2013
    Additionally, I doubt Sony's as concerned about comments from Americans, people in a country (really about the ONLY country) where the 360 is the preferred console (and here it's the preferred console by a significant margin). That's like asking readers of Mother Jones what Republicans should do for a legislative agenda - you don't ask the people not on your side what you should be doing. :)
    edited February 2013
    And anyone saying "If , I won't buy it" aren't really the people Sony need to worry about anyway. I figure anyone saying that is either approximately my age, or older. No, the biggest market is the kids who get the console as a Christmas present and become a whole new generation of addi----customers. Nobody (statistically close enough to nobody so as to actually say nobody) starts gaming in their 30's.
    edited February 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4976839 said:
    /Yahoo comments

No, seriously, if they're second to YouTube, it's by a slender margin.
    The sad thing about Yahoo is that it's mostly adults who bother commenting. YouTube's idiots are mostly younger people who you've come to expect it from.
    edited February 2013
    My comment dunderheadedness hierarchy would probably be:

1. YouTube
    2. Yahoo
    3. MSN

Honestly the only site where I consistently appreciate the comments is Cracked.
    edited February 2013
    The only reason Yahoo is still my homepage is because it's my main e-mail that I usually need to check daily. Otherwise, I would've dumped Yahoo a long time ago with their nonsense 'news' articles (which mostly consists of 'look what this celebrity did now!' and 'uh-oh controversial Twitter post by so-and-so!' news articles) followed by even more nonsensical comments about it.

YouTube... ugh... don't even scroll down below the likes and # of views for any video on there because there's nothing below that's going to make you happy that you scrolled down farther.
    edited February 2013
    Both consoles will start off with back-comp, Im sure of this. Then possibly later down the road a new SKU will come out that will drop support like the PS3s did. At the launch of new consoles is when back-comp is most important and as time goes on and each console's catalog of games gets bigger it becomes less important.
    Mega-Tallica;4976856 said:
    The only reason Yahoo is still my homepage is because it's my main e-mail that I usually need to check daily.
    You should really change both of these things. Or get a desktop mail client so you wont have to go to Yahoo anymore.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited February 2013
    I hope they set up development of an app-like UI and making it more accessible for developers to code, etc. I know nothing about this project so far.