Well it's been fun >_____>

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited February 2013 in The Rock Band Network
Not sure what this means for the future of RBN, but since the entire platform runs on XNA, I can't imagine it's good.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/01/report-xna-is-dead.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

The Microsoft XNA development platform is being discontinued, which might be sad news for indie developers. The toolset, which was used in the creation of Xbox Live Arcade titles like Fez, Bastion, and Dust: An Elysian Tail, served as way for smaller developers to get their titles in the hands of Xbox 360 gamers.

According to an internal email obtained by CVG, XNA is "not in active development," and the company is retiring it from the MVP Award Program. In effect, Microsoft is phasing out XNA as a development platform, which is a bit of a surprise considering how many smaller development studios used XNA to produce some of the games that defined Xbox Live Arcade and Xbox Live Indie Games.

Microsoft has not announced any plans for any replacement or successor to the XNA platform.

-----------------------
Harmonix's response:
HMXLachesis;4978268 said:
Deep breaths, everyone. I really wish GameInformer had picked a less sensationalist headline.

What the email from Microsoft actually said:

1) XNA is being retired from the MVP program on April 1 of 2014.

To start with, what is the MVP program? The MVP program is the Most Valuable Professional program at Microsoft. Microsoft MVPs are independent community leaders who help people around the world learn to better use Microsoft products. The MVP program is Microsoft's way of saying "thank you" to those leaders for their promotion and passion for Microsoft.

Before now, had you ever heard of the MVP program? I'm betting not - and if you had, you hadn't heard of it in connection with the RBN. That's because most (all?) RBN authors are uninvolved with the greater XNA community. As far as I know, there are no XNA-related Microsoft MVPs among the RBN authors. (As far as I know, there aren't even any at Harmonix.)

In short, the cessation of this program doesn't affect us. And if it did, it wouldn't affect us for over a year.

2) XNA is "not in active development".

This ought to come as no surprise. XNA was launched all the way back in 2006, so it's almost 7 years old at this point. XNA releases used to come out roughly once a year, but the last release for Microsoft XNA (XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh, updating XNA Game Studio 4.0 to support Windows 7.5) was on 10/6/11.

Why shouldn't we expect another release of XNA? Giant Bomb has more info here (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-future-of-xna-game-studio-and-windows-8/3667/), but to sum up, the basic answer is Windows 8. As conceived right now, Windows 8 is the future of Microsoft and XNA is an aging framework that doesn't produce Metro-style apps.

But the RBN doesn't need Metro-style apps, or Windows 8, or even Xbox compatibility. Although the RBN takes advantage of the existing XNA framework, we are not producing games for Xbox or Windows phone - so we don't need the XNA framework to be updated. We just need the underlying XNA framework to be there, and to remain supported - supported, not actively developed - by Microsoft.

As long as Microsoft continues to support our specific use of the XNA pipeline, we're fine. And our plan is to support RBN for Xbox 360 as long as Microsoft continues to support us.

Wishing you a drama-free day,
HMXLachesis

Comments

  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    I am glad to be with you, Xbox users, here at the end of all things.


    Solidarity :(
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited February 2013
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    XNA isn't being developed any further = there will be no NEW versions of XNA. which does not mean you can't keep doing the stuff you've always been doing on this version.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 2013
    jibjqrkl;4977254 said:
    XNA isn't being developed any further = there will be no NEW versions of XNA. which does not mean you can't keep doing the stuff you've always been doing on this version.

    That could be the case like how GH wasn't being developed further from April 2011 but you could still play any GH games and DL any DLC (excluding the New Years Celebrity Track Pack but that was removed earlier for other reasons likely due to the lawsuits).
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited February 2013
    Son of a b****! First HMX slowing down DLC, now the RBN *maybe* getting knocked off... this is bad. Really f***ing bad. This makes me want to punch anyone associated with Microsoft.
  • MystakinMystakin Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    As of this moment, there's no official word from Harmonix about the future of RBN as it pertains to XNA. What's not mentioned in TAG's post is that the internal e-mail states XNA won't cease updates until April 1st, 2014, which is over a year from now and about 4-5 monthes into the release of next gen consoles -- if rumors are to be believed. As of right now, we don't know how a lack of updates will affect RBN -- it might not at all -- but if it does, we have no reason to believe RBN will be affected until April next year.

    The sky isn't falling, and it's incredibly irresponsible of TAG to post something like this without the full story.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Mystakin;4977287 said:
    April 1st, 2014

    Oh thank god, it's just the most over the top April Fool's joke ever, haha...

    I... hope...
  • edited February 2013
    Well that's not so bad then.
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Mystakin;4977287 said:
    The sky isn't falling, and it's incredibly irresponsible of TAG to post something like this without the full story.
    TAG? Posting something irresponsibly? Surely you jest!
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited February 2013
    Dogmatic2020;4977295 said:
    TAG? Posting something irresponsibly? Surely you jest!

    o u
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited February 2013
    I've also been hearing reports that Microsoft is also releasing a new Xbox soon? What does this mean for the future of the 360

    WELL IT'S BEEN FUN
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Don't get too bummed yet, I tweeted HMX right after this article was posted and got this reply. According to them everything should be fine.

    image

    No need to grab the pitchforks yet.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    DON'T CALM DOWN! PANICKING IS MORE FUN!

    *starts running around in circles screaming*
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Wes.

    And in response to Mystakin, I just posted the article as I found it. Didn't realize there was more to it on a different page.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    wesjett08;4977300 said:
    Don't get too bummed yet, I tweeted HMX right after this article was posted and got this reply. According to them everything should be fine.

    image

    No need to grab the pitchforks yet.
    As I recall HMX didn't seem to know when the squier had been discontinued by Fender either, but it was. I remain cautiously optimistic, but a little panic couldn't hurt. *joins jibs*
  • MystakinMystakin Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4977306 said:
    And in response to Mystakin, I just posted the article as I found it. Didn't realize there was more to it on a different page.

    You're welcome.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    it's so fun to see Jibs and rkbdgurl dancing around panicking! :D
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    dinoman;4977320 said:
    it's so fun to see Jibs and rkbdgurl dancing around panicking! :D

    Panic Dance sounds like a good band name
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Yeah! let's start a band called that! and these girls can be the frontwomen
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    ok, now i'm really starting to panic ._.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited February 2013
    I was really scared but then I was less scared and as long as we can get lots of stuff from Sub Pop and some stuff from Sublime before the end, I will not be scared at all.
  • MySummerJobMySummerJob Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    It does kind of make sense with all this talk of a new Xbox, and Ps.

    Hoping the discontinued talk is only for the 360, and the next Xbox will have support for XNA2 (and XNA).
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    Good news for the Xbox crowd, I guess. It would be nice to know everything won't stop for us (PS3'ers) in sixish weeks, but it still seems pretty unlikely.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited February 2013
    Deep breaths, everyone. I really wish GameInformer had picked a less sensationalist headline.

    What the email from Microsoft actually said:

    1) XNA is being retired from the MVP program on April 1 of 2014.

    To start with, what is the MVP program? The MVP program is the Most Valuable Professional program at Microsoft. Microsoft MVPs are independent community leaders who help people around the world learn to better use Microsoft products. The MVP program is Microsoft's way of saying "thank you" to those leaders for their promotion and passion for Microsoft.

    Before now, had you ever heard of the MVP program? I'm betting not - and if you had, you hadn't heard of it in connection with the RBN. That's because most (all?) RBN authors are uninvolved with the greater XNA community. As far as I know, there are no XNA-related Microsoft MVPs among the RBN authors. (As far as I know, there aren't even any at Harmonix.)

    In short, the cessation of this program doesn't affect us. And if it did, it wouldn't affect us for over a year.

    2) XNA is "not in active development".

    This ought to come as no surprise. XNA was launched all the way back in 2006, so it's almost 7 years old at this point. XNA releases used to come out roughly once a year, but the last release for Microsoft XNA (XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh, updating XNA Game Studio 4.0 to support Windows 7.5) was on 10/6/11.

    Why shouldn't we expect another release of XNA? Giant Bomb has more info here (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-future-of-xna-game-studio-and-windows-8/3667/), but to sum up, the basic answer is Windows 8. As conceived right now, Windows 8 is the future of Microsoft and XNA is an aging framework that doesn't produce Metro-style apps.

    But the RBN doesn't need Metro-style apps, or Windows 8, or even Xbox compatibility. Although the RBN takes advantage of the existing XNA framework, we are not producing games for Xbox or Windows phone - so we don't need the XNA framework to be updated. We just need the underlying XNA framework to be there, and to remain supported - supported, not actively developed - by Microsoft.

    As long as Microsoft continues to support our specific use of the XNA pipeline, we're fine. And our plan is to support RBN for Xbox 360 as long as Microsoft continues to support us.

    Wishing you a drama-free day,
    HMXLachesis
  • edited February 2013
    Thank you for that Lachesis. That explains everything and puts my mind at ease.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Nuh-uh! Everything is dying, I read so on the internet.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Oscarvarium;4978306 said:
    Nuh-uh! Everything is dying, I read so on the internet.

    Yep. Everything at some point. Except the metal. The metal will live on.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    TubaDude49;4978310 said:
    Yep. Everything at some point. Except the metal. The metal will live on.

    Oh thank goodness, our plans of making the band Panic Dance might still be possible then

    But in all seriousness this is good news at least. Makes me hope that the RBN will live on at least (and if it does, please continue PS3 ports lol)
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    HMXLachesis;4978268 said:
    As long as Microsoft continues to support our specific use of the XNA pipeline, we're fine. And our plan is to support RBN for Xbox 360 as long as Microsoft continues to support us.
    **sigh**
    HMXLachesis;4978268 said:
    Wishing you a drama-free day,
    HMXLachesis

    Yeah, for them, I guess.
Sign In or Register to comment.