playing with a real guitar?

matshimatshi Unsigned
edited March 2013 in Rock Band
Ok well, I have two questions:

The first one is: Is the rocksmith guitar compatible with rock band 3

The second one is: If NO, wich guitar I should pick, cause I think that you could use every guitar with the adapter?

Thank you,
Matshi

Comments

• matshimatshi Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    Oups :P

And is the first one worth the price, cause it's around 500 dollars! :P
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    you might be able to find them a bit cheaper if you look long enough and get lucky. but they're damn rare
  • matshimatshi Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    Why are they so rare when they look so good!?

Arg! :P
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    You left out one option, which is the YouRockGuitar. It is a midi guitar like the Mustang, but has some pros and cons compared to the Mustang which you should consider if you go the midi route.

http://www.yourockguitar.com
  • matshimatshi Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    Do you have more information on it?
    Did you try it?
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    matshi;4978237 said:
    Do you have more information on it?
    Did you try it?

I did not, but as far as I know, it works plug-and-play with the MIDI pro adapter.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Threads like this one sort of depress me. Shiny new people raring to get started with RB pro mode. Instead of being able to feel excited there is instead a big let down because the Squiers are scarce and the DLC is winding down.

:(
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4978292 said:
    Threads like this one sort of depress me. Shiny new people raring to get started with RB pro mode. Instead of being able to feel excited there is instead a big let down because the Squiers are scarce and the DLC is winding down.

:(

So true.. so true :(
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    agreed on the depression.

i still show off my squier to new people and they get all excited and then i have to tell them they don't make it any more.

there is rocksmith but it's just not as fun imo.
  • randomasrandomas Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    +1 on the anticlimax thing.

As for your options if you want to play RB3 protar, I'd advise you to get the mustang controller cheap and use the money you saved on a nice regular guitar for rocksmith.

I own a squier and love it and to separate me from it you'll have to pry it away from my cold dead hands! That said, as a regular electric guitar it sucks, badly. So if you want the RB3 pro experience get the mustang. If it's authentic guitar as it's meant to be get a normal e-guitar and stick to RS.

By this I don't mean to bash RB, I love it and it is more fun to play with friends. But as a proper guitar playing game RS is better.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    I have the squier, and will never part with it. That said, I would also encourage you to get the mustang and save yourself a bundle. You will then have lots of money left to spend on dlc, and pro upgrades. :)
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    randomas;4978655 said:
    +1 on the anticlimax thing.

As for your options if you want to play RB3 protar, I'd advise you to get the mustang controller cheap and use the money you saved on a nice regular guitar for rocksmith.

I own a squier and love it and to separate me from it you'll have to pry it away from my cold dead hands! That said, as a regular electric guitar it sucks, badly. So if you want the RB3 pro experience get the mustang. If it's authentic guitar as it's meant to be get a normal e-guitar and stick to RS.

By this I don't mean to bash RB, I love it and it is more fun to play with friends. But as a proper guitar playing game RS is better.

Pretty much this. I'm just glad I got my Squier soon after they were released. With RewardZone points at Best Buy, I walked out paying about $150.

And the normal Squier my wife got me for Christmas sounds 10 times better than the RB Squier. But nothing beats the RB Squier for cool points.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    NOT_Travis;4978765 said:
    Pretty much this. I'm just glad I got my Squier soon after they were released. With RewardZone points at Best Buy, I walked out paying about $150.

I got mine for $199.99 at Best buy... 2years ago.. :)

Mustang is the way to go for just RB3. :)
    edited February 2013
    intropee;4979397 said:

I really didn't like it at all. I actually have both and MUCH prefer the Squier. But that's looking at, what, $500-$650 total these days? So if that's why you're suggesting it, then, yeah. I have to reluctantly agree.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    intropee;4979397 said:

NOT_Travis;4979473 said:
    I really didn't like it at all. I actually have both and MUCH prefer the Squier. But that's looking at, what, $500-$650 total these days? So if that's why you're suggesting it, then, yeah. I have to reluctantly agree.

Yeah Money is the only reason to suggest a mustang. It's so inferior it's not funny.
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4979492 said:
    Yeah Money is the only reason to suggest a mustang. It's so inferior it's not funny.

Especially if you try to use it for Legacy. *shudder*
  • kim666kim666 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Maybe it is soon possible to use ANY real guitar with Rock Band's Pro Mode.

Midi Guitar Beta 0.6 turns any guitar into a truly polyphonic MIDI guitar. http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/

I got it PARTITIALY working with Rock Band's Pro mode.

1. you need the following

Midi Guitar Beta 0.6 http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/

LoopBe1 http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

g2ghpro-0.2 http://sourceforge.net/projects/game2midi/

a usb midi cable (i use my ghwt drums midi cable)

and of course a Pc

2. Install LoopBe1, it should create a virtual midi port.

3. Start Midi Guitar and Select "01. Internal Midi" at the "Midi Output" selectbox

4. Start g2ghpro and Select as import source "01. Internal Midi" and your usb midi cable as output. Don't hit Enter.

5. Connect the midi cable to your RB midi pro adapter

Sadly atm only the high e string gets (correctly) recognized.

Maybe someone needs to modify g2ghpro-0.2 to get it fully working.
  • NeilDiamond1974NeilDiamond1974 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    When I see these threads, I have to remind everyone here that there is a seriously good third option for Pro Mode and it is still being made. I honestly think it is better than the Squire or Mustang, but seems to get little love on these forums.

The YouRock Guitar is pretty darn good for Pro Mode and supports all the features. Plus you can get a dongle and use it as a non-pro mode guitar.

http://www.yourockguitar.com/products/you-rock-guitar

It is also the only one of the three that completely lets you hear the real note you're playing if you miss a note in the game. (The Squire has a muting pad so you can't play it normally while playing the game.)

I'm not familiar with their Gen2 product (I have the Gen1), but it seems to still support Rock Band, but you should dbl check.

I'll tell you what, it is a slick puppy. With the gameflex cartridge, it can also be used wirelessly as a normal fake guitar. I did that yesterday for the first time and love it.

http://www.yourockguitar.com/products/accessories

A lot of stuff for it just got cheaper including the gameflex thing. That used to be $30, but was $12 when I bought it last week.

Technically this guitar will also work with Rocksmith, but you'd be better off getting a more normal guitar for that. The cheapest electric or electric acoustic (or an acoustic with a pickup) is probably your best bet. The YouRock is pure midi. It won't help you learn to tune a guitar and get the complete feel. The only other bad part about it is that the frets are spaced a little differently on the YouRock to save space I suppose. I would buy a full-size fretboard for it if they would sell it.

One last thing on this, I got it lightly used on amazon for under $100. Since it is a real instrument you can find it in a lot of places.
    edited March 2013
    kim666;4998236 said:

Midi Guitar Beta 0.6 turns any guitar into a truly polyphonic MIDI guitar. http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/

I got it PARTITIALY working with Rock Band's Pro mode.
    I'm curious to learn more about this. Most of the audio to midi things I've seen only do one note at a time. If this actually does what it is supposed to do with low enough latency. I would get this in a heartbeat. The other option for a real non-midi guitar is about $3000.
  • kim666kim666 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    NeilDiamond1974;4998259 said:
    I'm curious to learn more about this. Most of the audio to midi things I've seen only do one note at a time. If this actually does what it is supposed to do with low enough latency. I would get this in a heartbeat. The other option for a real non-midi guitar is about $3000.

try the free beta Version :D
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I just bought the mustang from madcatz for a sweet $50. I've been playing real guitar for about a year and there is nothing wrong with it. It feels great. Can't go wrong, especially for the huge price difference. Do yourself a favour and buy the mustang and used the money you save on something else.
    edited March 2013
    kim666;4998265 said:
    try the free beta Version :D

I will. I also wonder if we should make a thread dedicated to this. This kind of thing would be amazing for those of us lacking a $5000 midi rack setup.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    kim666;4998236 said:

Not likely to have good results, for which you'd need to have pitch detection on a per-string level (ie. hexaphonic MIDI pickup).
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    agentnnc;4998304 said:
    I just bought the mustang from madcatz for a sweet $50. I've been playing real guitar for about a year and there is nothing wrong with it. It feels great. Can't go wrong, especially for the huge price difference. Do yourself a favour and buy the mustang and used the money you save on something else.

I have to say, as someone that is acquainted with guitar for a while, but was really never anything to brag about, that I enjoy the Mustang very much too. It took some getting used to, but it's kind of second nature now and I don't feel like I'm really compromising at all when playing it. Of course it's not the same as playing strings, but it's close enough that I forget I'm playing buttons after about 20 minutes into a practice.
  • kim666kim666 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    raynebc;4998383 said:
    Not likely to have good results, for which you'd need to have pitch detection on a per-string level (ie. hexaphonic MIDI pickup).

you should give it a try, for a beta it is very good.
    edited March 2013
    raynebc;4998383 said:

People here were saying that Rocksmith wouldn't be able to pick up multiple notes before it came out.

There is also this:

http://gizmodo.com/5448604/polytune-tunes-all-your-guitar-strings-at-once-saves-time-for-serenading

I know there is an iphone/ipod app for multiple simultaneous string tuning as well.

Basically, I'm saying don't say it isn't possible do to real-time (or close to) guitar midi without a midi pickup with today's PC horsepower. It is possible. I really hope someone pulls it off. I think we need to do some experimentation on this forum for this.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    well, rocksmith doesn't really pick up multiple notes either. i believe it works by comparing the audio waveform as a whole coming from your guitar to what the chart for the song is expecting, and gives you credit if they are close enough. it's also pretty easy to fool RS's chord detection.
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    skyp1e;4998393 said:
    I have to say, as someone that is acquainted with guitar for a while, but was really never anything to brag about, that I enjoy the Mustang very much too. It took some getting used to, but it's kind of second nature now and I don't feel like I'm really compromising at all when playing it. Of course it's not the same as playing strings, but it's close enough that I forget I'm playing buttons after about 20 minutes into a practice.

Agreed. It took me a few hours to adjust to the feel and fret spacing but I'm used to it now. The biggest challenge for me is reading the note waves or whatever they call their representation of chords. It's not always easy to make an on the fly call about how many fret difference it is.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    agentnnc;4998594 said:
    Agreed. It took me a few hours to adjust to the feel and fret spacing but I'm used to it now. The biggest challenge for me is reading the note waves or whatever they call their representation of chords. It's not always easy to make an on the fly call about how many fret difference it is.

On the off chance you don't know about it, give chord numbering (an option) a try. If you are talking about the arpeggio waves though, that was just a HMX brainfart that is a real pain to read on the fly and chord numbering doesn't fix those.

I like the Mustang as well and don't agree with the hate on it. It isn't a real guitar but for most folks it is a more precise RB3 controller than the Squier. I think the folks who prefer the Squier are in general folks who already play guitar well.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Dentata;4998600 said:
    If you are talking about the arpeggio waves though, that was just a HMX brainfart that is a real pain to read on the fly and chord numbering doesn't fix those.

I agree. I've said many times that Rocksmith's display is more intuative for me that RB, and this is one of the reasons.

Of course someone's going to come along and tell me how wrong I am, and how my years of experience reading tab is completely forfeit because I don't prefer Rockband's chart.