Balance in personal listening habits.

afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
edited February 2013 in History of Rock
A. Music you consider very familiar.
B. Music you have either only heard a time or three, or haven't heard in a long enough time it acts as a refresher.
C. Music that is totally new to your ears.

How do you tend to divide your listening time?

I would estimate mine like this:
A - 15%, B - 60%, C - 25%

Comments

• timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    A: 30%
    B: 40%
    C: 30%

I've been listening to a lot more "totally new" in the past 3 or 4 months. Seen my own music collection rise about 10,000 or so in terms of songs.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    I'm interested in hearing others' spread, but realized how difficult it is for me to accurately share my own since early in a new year I tend to lay off the new stuff but then really binge on that current years' new releases starting around summertime.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited February 2013
    A: 50%
    B: 20%

I'd say these numbers accurately reflect my familiarity with the music I listen to, though ideally I'd have C bumped up a little higher.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited February 2013
    A) 60%
    B and C) 20% each

At this point, I have a pretty good grasp on whether or not I will want to listen to an album repeatedly based off of the first listen. Ever since Mediafire was neutered, I've had a harder time listening to new music.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    A) 25%
    B) 50%
    C) 25%

That B percentage is probably higher than it's ever been for me since I've been giving many artists second chances recently and the A percentage would have been way higher if I was asked this same thing 3 years ago.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited February 2013
    A. 40%
    B. 25%
    C. 35%

Haven't really had as much of the urge to get back into listening to song/bands that have fallen out of my listening habits recently, especially the ones that I've gotten bored with. I try to even it out between bands regularly in my rotation and bands/songs I've never heard.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited February 2013
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited February 2013
    A: 30%
    B: 35%
    C: 35%

Pretty even spread. I can't listen to the same music ad nauseum unless I'm trying to learn how to play it on bass, so I always have something new on deck (that new music is 90% obscure 80s music, though; it's my favorite decade and there's so much goth rock and post punk I still haven't had the chance to dig at).
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2013
    B: 10%
    C: 40%

I'm a creature of habit, and there aren't a lot of gems from my childhood still yet to be unearthed. Still, I do try to give some good time to new music, even if I admittedly hedge my bets a little. Most of my "new" listening comes from scouring thrift stores and used music shops for records and CDs I don't yet own of my favorite artists, which I then give a thorough listen to. But I also have Rock Band (at least for now) and the occasional listen to the radio for other new stuff as well, not to mention recommendations from friends.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited February 2013
    B: 5%
    C: 45%

When I go hunting for new music, I go all out. But usually if you're not memorable enough for one listen, you're not good enough for a second listen.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2013
    Cipher_Peon;4980871 said:
    When I go hunting for new music, I go all out. But usually if you're not memorable enough for one listen, you're not good enough for a second listen.
    I give everything at least two listens. Several times I've had a song hook me the second time around.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited February 2013
    FujiSkunk;4980874 said:
    I give everything at least two listens. Several times I've had a song hook me the second time around.
    If a song has promise, I make a note to keep listening to it. But if it just completely fails to capture my attention, I just go on my merry way. There's lots of ground to cover!
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    A. 60
    b. 10
    C. 30

I'm a creature of habit. I will listen to songs I know and love...forever.
    My RB friends have taught me that there are great tunes out there yet to be discovered. So I spend much more time than I used to....looking for that new song that will land on my my favs list. (and I must be finding them, because I'm spending much more money buying RB dlc than ever. :)
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    A. 40%
    B. 20%
    C. 40%

My worst habit is... outside of my absolute favorites I always forget to return to albums. Brand new music to my ears is really frequent for me among my favorites though.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    A. 35
    B. 25
    C. 40

I try to be as open as I can be, but like everyone else, I have my favorites that I can just listen to nonstop and never tire of.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited February 2013
    A. 35%
    B. 15%
    C. 50%

I love to listen to Internet radios to discover music, but I tend to get stuck on certain songs a lot. I occasionally go back and listen to albums a few times or try and set a mood with a certain song I have in mind to see if it can become a new favorite. There's nothing better than discovering a new song you can't stop listening to.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    A - 10%
    B - 45%
    C - 45%

I am constantly trying to digest new things, but I've developed a taste for re-listening a bunch until I understand all the nooks and crannies. That drive to explore has never been neutered for more than a week or so interval, though. I barely even have favorites that last as such for more than a dozen or so listens. Thus, my distribution.
  • Henry_SardonicusHenry_Sardonicus Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    A: 20%
    B: 40%
    C: 40%

Though this might be biased by me being a music blog writer.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    A. 75%
    B. 15%
    C. 10%

I've been trying to expose myself to new music as of recent, so this is definitely subject to change.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    A: 45%
    C: 35%

I listen to a lot of my favorites, but a lot gets lost in the shuffle as I scramble to find the next new bit.
  • brickkbrickk Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    This would be nice