Hi i just wanted to know if there is a rockband 4 in the works

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited February 2013
    Hmx has confirmed that there is no rock band game planned at this time, and given the downward trend of instrument based games it's hard to see that changing.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    The quote from Hmx is "As called out in the FAQ, none of the games we're working on are RB or instrument based music games." Which means no Rock Band 4 or anything resembling it is being worked on at the moment, meaning even if they magically decided they wanted to create an RB4, it would be at least a year before it appeared, probably more.

Come back at the end of March. It appears that we'll get our next nugget of news then.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited February 2013
    Is this a joke? Haven't you noticed that HMX started releasing songs from Blitz as DLC?
  • BeaversBeavers Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    *Inserts usual rant about fun games and shooters*

In other words, as much as I'd like to see it, it probably will not happen any time soon.
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    After seeing every other week of DLC switching over to Blitz songs, not only is it not in the works, but it may be approaching the end of that pipeline too... key word MAY, i hope not, but sometimes all good things come to an end.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Rock Band 4? Totally going to happen!

Oh, wait, no. The other thing.
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    Just something to take note of

Even acknowledging the existence of an Xbox 720 or PS4 title right now is breaking NDA

The big issue, based on the rumor tree right now is that wireless 360 peripherals do not work with the 720. Since 360 outsells PS3 for RB by like 3:1 (or more), that's a major issue.

Do I necessarily expect an RB4 disc based game? Nope. Do I think that MadCatz could make an adapter puck, and that Harmonix might do an RB3.5 as an XBLA/PSN title? Not out of the question
  • VarientVarient Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    SwordofWhedon;4984574 said:
    Just something to take note of

Even acknowledging the existence of an Xbox 720 or PS4 title right now is breaking NDA

The big issue, based on the rumor tree right now is that wireless 360 peripherals do not work with the 720. Since 360 outsells PS3 for RB by like 3:1 (or more), that's a major issue.

Do I necessarily expect an RB4 disc based game? Nope. Do I think that MadCatz could make an adapter puck, and that Harmonix might do an RB3.5 as an XBLA/PSN title? Not out of the question

Yes! The NDA thing is the huge holdup here. Until the companies give the go ahead, Harmonix staff can't say much at all. Some of the NDAs can also come from Harmomix itself as well.

I don't see why a new console wouldn't mean Madcatz can't make new controller versions. The main difference between consoles when it comes to controllers (as I understand it) is the board inside. The plastic shapes remain pretty much the same between consoles, so it wouldn't be as hard or expensive as making a brand new controller from scratch design and all. Once the companies give the go-ahead (NDA again!) new boards can be put into the old controller shapes and we'll have 720 kits. :)
    edited February 2013
    Regarding the hope that NDA has any relevance here, I repeat the recent quote from HMXHenry "As called out in the FAQ, none of the games we're working on are RB or instrument based music games."

If they were silent, or said they couldn't say anything yet, you would have room to hope that the NDA mattered. The fact that they went out of their way to specifically address it leaves no room for doubt. This doesn't mean they may not look at it again at some point in the future, but they aren't working on anything RB-related at all right now. If they intended to have something available anywhere near the release of the next-gen consoles, they would have to be working on it now.

To believe that the NDA is the issue would require you to believe that they intentionally lied to us with that statement. While I'm unhappy that they aren't choosing to continue with the franchise at this point, at least they are doing their best to be open about it.
  • KrystofKrystof Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Varient;4984671 said:
    Yes! The NDA thing is the huge holdup here. Until the companies give the go ahead, Harmonix staff can't say much at all. Some of the NDAs can also come from Harmomix itself as well.

I don't see why a new console wouldn't mean Madcatz can't make new controller versions. The main difference between consoles when it comes to controllers (as I understand it) is the board inside. The plastic shapes remain pretty much the same between consoles, so it wouldn't be as hard or expensive as making a brand new controller from scratch design and all. Once the companies give the go-ahead (NDA again!) new boards can be put into the old controller shapes and we'll have 720 kits. :)
    I think it's more likely we will see a Guitar Hero relaunch. Activision has said even up until last month that it's not dead, it's on hiatus. Relaunching and reimagining a title is nothing strange.

I doubt any company would launch a new title to next gen and want to feel attached to last gen. You alienate new players and make it feel like there's an unfair advantage. Not to mention the confusion, which is one of the main reasons the genre has faded. As hopeful as we are around here, we are not enough to make a next gen Rock Band title successful.

Will Rock Band return? Not sure if Harmonix's Rock Band will return, but I have no doubt that we will be seeing some title emerge to take the helm.

Regaining retailers trust so that they can take up that much shelf space won't be easy, which is why a Guitar-only Guitar Hero game would make sense. I appreciate Mad Catz's efforts, but to anyone outside of the United States it was a catastrophe. I don't blame them for the lack of success for Rock Band 3, but their fumbled launch and too little too late relaunch efforts didn't help either.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    Dentata;4984684 said:
    Regarding the hope that NDA has any relevance here, I repeat the recent quote from HMXHenry "As called out in the FAQ, none of the games we're working on are RB or instrument based music games."

SUPER OPTIMISM MODE!

they're not working on it because it's already completely finished and they're just waiting for the new consoles to be announced so they can announce the game!
    edited February 2013
    jibjqrkl;4984726 said:
    SUPER OPTIMISM MODE!

they're not working on it because it's already completely finished and they're just waiting for the new consoles to be announced so they can announce the game!

This made me smile. I love your sig as well.

I still hold out a *very small* amount of hope that what is being done is to lure us into believing that they will announce the complete end of DLC. Then, when they announce a change to monthly DLC, we will greet it with great joy and relief. That's the best I can do optimism-wise.
    edited February 2013
    I guess I'm hoping that Bandfuse eventually takes off and they add keyboards to the game.

I'll always love Rock Band 3 and I'll keep playing it as long as the tech holds out, but I've got to hitch my wagon up to something that will be current eventually.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4984870 said:
    but I've got to hitch my wagon up to something that will be current eventually.

but... but... you don't care what's in style...
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4984873 said:
    but... but... you don't care what's in style...

I do care about new content though. Eventually I want new.
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4984877 said:
    I do care about new content though. Eventually I want new.

Right that was my point in the other thread. It's great that we have all this content but eventually you gotta want new stuff.
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4984880 said:
    Right that was my point in the other thread. It's great that we have all this content but eventually you gotta want new stuff.

Is that what you're trying to do, prove that my friend isn't going to like Rock Band because the DLC train is heading into the station?

There's plenty of existing songs he can download even if dlc stopped tomorrow. It'll be fine.
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4984882 said:
    Is that what you're trying to do, prove that my friend isn't going to like Rock Band because the DLC train is heading into the station?

There's plenty of existing songs he can download even if dlc stopped tomorrow. It'll be fine.
    ...but eventually you'll want new, right?

I just listed that as a reason some would avoid rockband at this point in the game. I never made any assumptions about what your friend would do, frankly I don't care either, I was just stating what I thought.
    edited February 2013
    I also stated that I'd keep playing RB 3 until the tech fails. Don't forget that.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Is this the Happy Friday post?.. :D
    Oh wait.. RB4 mentioned again? :(
    Good grief...:rolleyes:
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    The biggest issue may not be only related to internal development. I ask in total seriousness, how many of you still see any Guitar Hero/Rock Band peripherals on shelves? Looking to replace your drums or guitar? You may find a few retail outlets carrying 1 or 2 dusty old remains of Warriors of Rock, but i have not seen anything related to Rock Band in 2 years, even used you couldn't locate a Rock Band 3. The only Warriors of Rock bundles i've seen recently were on the PS3, while i do everything music-rhythm related on the 360.

EDIT: Not only that, but i am not sure how many people would jump to next gen for these games seeing that a number of us have vast RB libraries that wouldn't work with this new console... you know "no backwards compatibility" thing
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    bengino;4985047 said:
    EDIT: Not only that, but i am not sure how many people would jump to next gen for these games seeing that a number of us have vast RB libraries that wouldn't work with this new console... you know "no backwards compatibility" thing
    Well, DLC can be forward compatible depending on how newer software versions are programmed (Ref: PS3 Singstar reading PS2 discs for songs) and since RB DLC are mostly digital items, then they might only need to be repackaged to a newer digital store format for DRM purposes. The biggest issue is if existing purchase licenses can be transferred to the new console hardware.
  • drum-machinedrum-machine Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    SwordofWhedon;4984574 said:

My first feelings about 360 controller compatibility were the same as Yours, but then I realised that I forgot about one thing which already exists. Shazam!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=microsoft+xbox+receiver

So it's only a matter of good will of microsoft to make it compatible with 720, since it's USB - and that means universal.
    edited February 2013
    No, it can mean a lot of things.

For instance that they outsourced the port to someone else like Green Day
    edited February 2013
    It doesn't even need that. Xbox Live accounts remain the same. Just as you don't need I re save word documents, or get new digital copies for a new iPhone
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    Speculate all you want about NDA's and backwards compatibility, but the real thing going against Rock Band 4 is that Harmonix flat-out said they're not making it.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    DavidTLynchEsq;4985460 said:
    Speculate all you want about NDA's and backwards compatibility, but the real thing going against Rock Band 4 is that Harmonix flat-out said they're not making it.
    You just had to throw the ball!