LITERALLY Flirting With Disaster (Help Please)

BeaversBeavers Opening Act
edited February 2013 in Rock Band
Alright, I am on the last gig in Rock Band's Hard Mode on Guitar. I only have four songs left, and THIS is where the game stops fooling around. It took me two tries to beat Highway Star, which is still less tries than it took me to beat Suffragette City. And now I'm on Flirting With Disaster, and it is ****ing IMPOSSIBLE! Especially when it gets to the solo where you have to move you fingers so blindingly fast just to get all the Fret Notes, and I mean you have to quickly hit the blue and orange notes in rapid recession, and then hammer blue, yellow, red, blue, yellow, red, over and over and over. I've tried it at least 8 times, and this is the first time a song has given me trouble to the point of frustration. Does anyone have tips on how to beat this song?

Comments

• BeaversBeavers Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    Not sure how that will help, but okay. :)
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited February 2013
    there is no "thing" some one can tell you to help you beat the song. You just have to practice.
    edited February 2013
    Hmmm, I also notice it helps to deploy star power later in the gauntlet then right when you get to it. Preferably when you're an inch from losing.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    Beavers;4981908 said:
    I notice your success meter goes down slower during star power mode...
    Technically it doesn't go down slower, but goes up faster, which is pretty much the same thing as long as you hit some notes.

As I recall, this was the hardest Rock Band 1 song on Hard.
    edited February 2013
    That's good to know, because I cannot imagine it getting much harder. I've tried everything so far, haven't beaten it yet.

Edit: God! How long does that solo go on for!?
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited February 2013
    Beavers;4981925 said:
    That's good to know, because I cannot imagine it getting much harder. I've tried everything so far, haven't beaten it yet.

Keep practicing that's what i did to beat Jordan on GH2.
    Which helped a ton when i walked into the RB world.. i beat the entire RB1 disc the first day i had it.
    edited February 2013
    Got another clue when almost getting. Normally I can make it far if I initiate star power after the first set of power notes in the solo, which can let me survive to a second set of power notes, and maybe a third set. Both the second and third power note sets aren't too hard. If I manage to survive long enough to get both strings of power notes, and initiate star power just in time, I might be able to finally clear the song. ...But I'm really getting worn out by the song. Yikes, it's hard.
  • edited February 2013
    It's like 2007 all up in here.
    edited February 2013
    I FINALLY DID IT! I beat flirting with disaster!!!
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2013
    I found Flirting with Disaster on hard to be the 3rd hardest guitar chart on RB1 behind Flirtin' on expert, and GG&HT on expert. GG&HT on hard is easier.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    So you know, it's called "overdrive" (or just OD for short) in Rock Band.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited February 2013
    MagicMurderBag7;4981910 said:
    Just wait until you get to Green Grass and High Tides on expert.

Wait until he hits the final tier on RB2 on expert...
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    LiveHomeVideo;4982053 said:
    Wait until he hits the final tier on RB2 on expert...

When I got there it was pure hell.
    edited February 2013
    Funny you should mention RB2, my dad just got it for me yesterday. I'm almost considering skipping Medium mode this time around and going straight to Hard.

The last three songs, while no push-overs, were cakewalks compared to Flirting With Disaster on Hard. I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade to Expert after getting Rock Band 2.
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    I was and still am far from being one of the better guitarist for the Rock Band game as a whole (Bass is my instrument of choice). But one thing that did help me tremendously was that i have been playing using breakneck speed on expert, once you go back to regular speed and Rock Band it becomes infinitely easier ti hit the notes. With that said, in order for me to complete the solo guitar career from Rock Band 1 i still only have to beat Green Grass and High Tides, i survive for most of the song, until the final solo where i just crap out (i believe around 90% or so of the song) extremely frustrating.

EDIT: at the 50% mark and the 62% of the solo are my death knell on the last solo
  • edited February 2013
    If you could beat Green Grass and High Tides on hard then you can beat I Think I'm Paranoid and Say It Ain't So on expert.
    edited February 2013
    bengino;4982197 said:
    I was and still am far from being one of the better guitarist for the Rock Band game as a whole (Bass is my instrument of choice). But one thing that did help me tremendously was that i have been playing using breakneck speed on expert, once you go back to regular speed and Rock Band it becomes infinitely easier ti hit the notes. With that said, in order for me to complete the solo guitar career from Rock Band 1 i still only have to beat Green Grass and High Tides, i survive for most of the song, until the final solo where i just crap out (i believe around 90% or so of the song) extremely frustrating.

EDIT: at the 50% mark and the 62% of the solo are my death knell on the last solo

Like I said before, it helps if you save your Overdrive for emergencies. Use it where you're about to lose and it should help you survive. GGandHT is a hard song alright, and its main challenge stems from how long the song is. It never gets as blistering hard as FwD does, but it's still a long song.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    Beavers;4982230 said:
    It never gets as blistering hard as FwD does, but it's still a long song.
    hehe, he's talking about expert. and trust me, it does get that hard ;)
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2013
    MagicMurderBag7;4982225 said:
    If you could beat Green Grass and High Tides on hard then you can beat I Think I'm Paranoid and Say It Ain't So on expert.
    Yup. That also helped me a lot, playing easier songs on expert and then trying Flirtin or GG&HT on hard.
    Beavers;4982230 said:
    Like I said before, it helps if you save your Overdrive for emergencies. Use it where you're about to lose and it should help you survive. GGandHT is a hard song alright, and its main challenge stems from how long the song is. It never gets as blistering hard as FwD does, but it's still a long song.
    On hard, that's correct. On expect, GG&HT's final solo gets pretty nuts, and some a really rough ending (I still struggle with that, 4 years into playing RB).
  • RanzeeeRanzeee Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    Are you using break neck speed ?
    edited February 2013
    Ranzeee;4982321 said:
    Are you using break neck speed ?

that's a personal preference thing. I FC'ed all the songs mentioned in here and I never use BNS. Never could get used to it
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I never really understood why BNS was thought of as the big secret weapon that magically made everything 1000 times easier. For me, it made it moderately harder the couple of times I tried it.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited February 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4982751 said:
    Yeah I never really understood why BNS was thought of as the big secret weapon that magically made everything 1000 times easier. For me, it made it moderately harder the couple of times I tried it.
    It's all about how you read. Like spacing when it comes to writing, some people are able to perfectly decipher line to line reading even if there's no space between lines; other people prefer their lines to be more separated (1.5 space/double-space) for legibility. BNS is like double-spacing, so you can tell what's coming up more immediately--but the tradeoff is that you need to be able to read it that quickly. Standard spacing gives you more time to figure out what the upcoming pattern is, but you need to be able to read it in time to actually execute it.

Another way to look at it is like subtitles when it comes to foreign languages. If someone's delivering three lines of dialogue, BNS is like putting one line out at a time as they're being spoken, whereas normal mode is like all three lines being put up at the same time for the duration of the speaking. Different people will have different preferences.
  • edited February 2013
    LoopyChew;4982763 said:
    It's all about how you read. Like spacing when it comes to writing, some people are able to perfectly decipher line to line reading even if there's no space between lines; other people prefer their lines to be more separated (1.5 space/double-space) for legibility. BNS is like double-spacing, so you can tell what's coming up more immediately--but the tradeoff is that you need to be able to read it that quickly. Standard spacing gives you more time to figure out what the upcoming pattern is, but you need to be able to read it in time to actually execute it.

Another way to look at it is like subtitles when it comes to foreign languages. If someone's delivering three lines of dialogue, BNS is like putting one line out at a time as they're being spoken, whereas normal mode is like all three lines being put up at the same time for the duration of the speaking. Different people will have different preferences.

I logged in just to say that subtitles analogy is really great, and that I will use it in the future when talking about BNS. Bravo.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Save a full Overdrive meter (4 full Overdrive charges hit) and deploy it when very close to failure, this will give you more time before you use it of course, and it gives a better chance of surviving if timed correctly. Also be sure to warm up your hands and be sure you understand the pattern even if you have trouble hitting it. Use practice mode and slow it down to see how you have to move your hands and then practice moving it like that in full speed.
    edited February 2013
    Also, when in od and you see another od coming up, just focus on hitting that. You're better off missing a few and hitting the od than the other way around
  • RanzeeeRanzeee Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    jibjqrkl;4982566 said:
    that's a personal preference thing. I FC'ed all the songs mentioned in here and I never use BNS. Never could get used to it

I played without it for a long time but using helped me because of the separation in the notes,plus my fingers are not fast enough to fc any of those songs :)
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    I actually never had any trouble with Flirtin' With Disaster. IMO it's probably the easiest final tier song in RB1.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited February 2013
    CloudWolf;4982807 said:
    I actually never had any trouble with Flirtin' With Disaster. IMO it's probably the easiest final tier song in RB1.
    In Expert, sure. On Hard it's probably one of the more difficult songs.
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    SheSaidSheSaid;4982751 said:

It is by no means my secret weapon, as i stated i am nowhere near one of the better guitar players out there, it seems to make things easier for me, and will whole-heartedly agree with the statement made by LoopyChew just below your response. Truth be told, it might just have been the years of practice, i can't say for sure, but some songs that i have trouble getting a very good score on regular speed tend to get a much better final score when i have Breakneck on.