I took a drastic step to get my friend in the game.

skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
edited February 2013 in Rock Band
Some of you might know that I've been trying to get my best friend (also my guitarist) interested in Rock Band 3 for years now.

His family console of choice is the Wii (yeah, I know) and for his kid's birthday this year I just ordered the Mustang pro controller and the keyboard bundle for the Wii.

I figure now he sort of HAS to check it out.

I know, I'm evil.

Comments

• lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Why didn't you just get him an xbox with RB?
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    lvmathemagician;4983417 said:
    Why didn't you just get him an xbox with RB?

Yeah, even if I had the money for that my wife would kill me. She almost killed me for getting his kids the present described in this topic.

:p
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    i hate to break it to you, but if he's as experienced a guitarist as you've described, i don't think he'll be too impressed by the mustang. if he thinks the 5-button guitar is just a plastic toy, the mustang will seem like just another small plastic toy with a lot more buttons. there's no real comparison between the mustang and even something like the RB squier, let alone the much nicer and more expensive guitars he's probably used to playing, to someone who already plays guitar.

you'd probably have more luck getting him into rocksmith, though i don't know that that helps you out much. but maybe if he enjoys rocksmith, that breaks through the "video game" mental barrier, and then he'd be more open to trying rock band.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    lol...Your "best friend" is gonna see right through you (oh evil one that you are). But since you've made it so easy for him to give RB a whirl, perhaps he will feel the need to check things out, just to make sure his son is playing it right. *hint hint..nudge nudge*

What a nice jesture. Will you be my best friend too? I need a new set of RB drums btw :D
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    rkbdgurl;4983481 said:
    lol...Your "best friend" is gonna see right through you

Well obviously because he's been bugging him to play for how long?

I do agree with tnevaker that the mustang won't lose the plastic toy mentality to anyone who actually plays real guitar (Most Likely). I like Rock Band, love real guitar, and still pretty much despise the Mustang.

Not to mention you're trying to get him hooked on a francise that is going to seriously go out of style next month.

But good luck with your intentions.
  • edited February 2013
    Good for you.

I have "gifted" lots of Rock Band that has turned into addictions for the recipient.

Its a good kind of evil. :)
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4983485 said:
    Not to mention you're trying to get him hooked on a francise that is going to seriously go out of style next month.

Skyp1e is well past that age where he worries about being in style. :)
    edited February 2013
    FujiSkunk;4983492 said:
    Skyp1e is well past that age where he worries about being in style. :)

As am I, I thought it was pretty obvious I was using style as an analogy for dlc ending, hence the next month.
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4983524 said:
    As am I, I thought it was pretty obvious I was using style as an analogy for dlc ending, hence the next month.

There is still plenty of DLC to go around. Especially with Yes, Rush and a few other favorites of his peppering the mix. I'm not too worried about that being a deal breaker.
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4983524 said:

It was pretty obvious. It's also pretty obvious a lot of us will continue playing the game long after DLC has ended.
    edited February 2013
    FujiSkunk;4983552 said:
    It was pretty obvious. It's also pretty obvious a lot of us will continue playing the game long after DLC has ended.

Yeah and its also pretty obvious that someone who has never even played the game might walk away from any interest the minute he hears that the francise is "going out of business" so to speak. And since that's the type of person we are discussing, not someone who has played forever, then it's pretty obvious that those of you who will continue playing have no relevance to my original statment.
    edited February 2013
    To be perfectly honest, Rock Band "falling out of fashion" can do more for inducting him into the ranks of the faithful than act as any kind of deterrent.

Being out of step with what's "popular" is a big part of his personality. It's kind of what we based our whole friendship on initially.

I mean we write progressive rock/fusion songs together, if that helps you get the picture.
    edited February 2013
    So in other words, SkyP1e's friend is also past that age where he worries about staying in style. :)
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    If your friend wants to play online, there are still people on the Wii who play and enjoy it - break the whole skips thing gently to him, though.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    i need friends like you.
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4983561 said:
    To be perfectly honest, Rock Band "falling out of fashion" can do more for inducting him into the ranks of the faithful than act as any kind of deterrent.

Being out of step with what's "popular" is a big part of his personality. It's kind of what we based our whole friendship on initially.

I mean we write progressive rock/fusion songs together, if that helps you get the picture.
    FujiSkunk;4983568 said:
    So in other words, SkyP1e's friend is also past that age where he worries about staying in style. :)

In the end I should have never used the going out of style analogy, because it confused people.

Going out of business and falling out of fashion are two different things.

Especially considering we don't know how long that actual online servers are going to stay up after DLC quits.

How exciting is this game without any servers? In this case that might not matter, but for alot of people that would kill any interest.
    edited February 2013
    At any rate....

Does anyone know how to purchase DLC (specifically the YES pack) as a gift for a Wii owner?
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4983608 said:
    In the end I should have never used the going out of style analogy, because it confused people.
    I understood the joke. You didn't have to explain.

My point is that, even after the DLC has wrapped up, the leaderboards no longer work and most people's 360's have either been closeted, curbed, or thrift-stored, a lot of people will still want to play this game, style be damned, literally and metaphorically.

The Atari 2600 and the Nintendo Entertainment System haven't been manufactured in decades, but they still have plenty of fans, with new fans appearing every year.
    skyp1e;4983611 said:
    At any rate....

Does anyone know how to purchase DLC (specifically the YES pack) as a gift for a Wii owner?

May just be easier to add a points card to the present and casually mention there are Yes songs to be had... if sadly not the entire Yessongs.
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    if you have him on wii (and he doesnt have wii u hopefully) Gift him the amount of points through the the wii shop channel and tell him that it's for DLC. he'll find something he'll enjoy
    edited February 2013
    I guess I could give him the points during a visit and make sure that he knows about the YES while I'm there. YES is his second favorite band, second only to The Mahavishnu Orchestra featuring John McLaughlin. And since MaHa has about as much chance as making it into Rock Band as Gentle Giant (MY favorite band), I'm sure he'll be thrilled with YES.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    peterock2007;4983608 said:
    Especially considering we don't know how long that actual online servers are going to stay up after DLC quits.
    Probably a while, seeing how the Rock Band 1 servers are still running, and I was able to download songs from the Rock Band Unplugged store last month.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    ASPMike;4983728 said:
    if you have him on wii (and he doesnt have wii u hopefully) Gift him the amount of points through the the wii shop channel and tell him that it's for DLC. he'll find something he'll enjoy

Don't think you can gift points through the Wii shop channel - pretty sure that's for software only (i.e., you buy points, download the game and give the game as a gift).

Buying a points card is probably the best way to go.
  • gamesurfgamesurf Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    Agreed. Buy a points card and definitely an SD card.

Also, the experience is SO much better when you add friends; if there is any chance of getting him interested in the Wii Community on Skype, try a few sessions with it. They don't bite.
    edited February 2013
    Just took delivery on the keyboard bundle and the mustang for the Wii. Can't wait to give them to his kids.

Very exciting!

:D
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    We will all be excited to hear how it goes Skyp1e :)
    edited February 2013
    So today was the party and I put the keyboard bundle and mustang on the gift table. Presents were not opened at the party (which took place at Chuck E Cheese, blech). I was invited to stop by his house afterwards with my own kids and did so.

He's living at his wife's grandmother's house while his home is being repaired after Sandy. I was informed that the Wii is still at his house.

I let him know that he'll need to retrieve it for the gifts that I gave his boys. They still hadn't opened the presents before we left so I don't know what the reaction is going to be yet.

Hopefully I'll hear back about it soon and can report here what they thought.
    edited February 2013
    So I don't really have good news here. I just got off the phone with Norman. His kids love the gifts "they dance around the house with them pretending to play", he tells me.

"Why aren't they playing Rock Band with them?" I ask.

"They haven't been interested in doing that, at least yet" he tells me. Which sounds really strange to my ears.

After a few minutes of talking about other things, like movies etc. I segue into that I'm considering getting the WiiU when I move back home, and "Won't it be cool to log on and play together from our own living rooms?".

He explains that he hates Rock Band because he's a real musician and plays a real guitar. I quickly point out (AGAIN) that you can play real music with Rock Band 3. That when I'm attempting to play Roundabout that I'm trying to play the parts that Rick Wakeman played in the song and not just arbitrary color coded gems that correspond to a few buttons. He says, "Yeah, but I'm a guitarist, not a keyboard player".

I tell him that the Mustang I got him will let him play the guitar parts for many songs and that they are charted to be accurate.

"Sounds too complicated for me. I'd rather just plug my guitar in and play. Besides I like to play with other people".

I remind him that he can play with ME or anyone else on the Wii with RB. That it's not a stand alone game, unless you want to play it that way. That you can pretty much find someone to jam with anytime of the day or night.

He again says it sounds like it's too much effort and not something he could ever see himself doing. That he would feel "silly" playing guitar in a video game. That's "not what he's about".

I let it go at that point saying, "Well, maybe once your kids start really getting into it, they'll want daddy to play with them. You might feel differently about it if it becomes a family thing to do. I play with my kids almost every day and we all have a really wonderful time".

After that we discussed the latest crop of kid movies, like Wreck It Ralph and others, showering them with high praise for being not only kid friendly, but fun for all ages, etc.

All in all I'm getting more bummed, though. First the end of DLC on the horizon, and now this very poor response for the gift of Rock Band that I had such high hopes of being a huge hit at his house.

Blah...
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited February 2013
    Maybe... maybe not. Like you said, once his kids start playing with it, he may have a change of heart. Everyone (especially "real" musicians) have to figure it out on their own as to whether or not they like the "game". He either will or he won't but I bet either way, you and/or your kids might soon find yourselves playing with his kids whether he wants to join in on the fun will be up to him.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    tnevaker;4983478 said:
    i hate to break it to you, but if he's as experienced a guitarist as you've described, i don't think he'll be too impressed by the mustang. if he thinks the 5-button guitar is just a plastic toy, the mustang will seem like just another small plastic toy with a lot more buttons. there's no real comparison between the mustang and even something like the RB squier, let alone the much nicer and more expensive guitars he's probably used to playing, to someone who already plays guitar.

That depends, the mustang is a great MIDI controller, any guitarists who doesnt play keyboard would like to get the hands on that, if they wanna mess around with MIDI, that is.