Is rock band network shutting down or just harmonix dlc

assassin66627assassin66627 Unsigned
edited February 2013 in The Rock Band Network
I'm wondering if RBN is still going to release songs or if its just harmonix

Comments

• FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Dangimarocker;4987973 said:
    I just wouldn't get to much hope up about the RBN staying up for long... i don't see many labels enjoying the idea of only one console and RB DLC stopping.

I dunno, I got a very surprising email yesterday...
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited February 2013
    Dangimarocker;4987973 said:
    I just wouldn't get to much hope up about the RBN staying up for long... i don't see many labels enjoying the idea of only one console and RB DLC stopping.

I might be missing something, but I don't think your argument for predicting a shortened RBN lifespan is valid. There are three reasons why:

1) Most songs coming through the RBN right now are from unsigned artists, not labels.
    2) RBN songs are only guaranteed for release on Xbox 360.
    3) A large percentage of artist discussions start with an explanation of "what is Rock Band?" These artists are unlikely to be turned off by the lack of official DLC because they are sufficiently unfamiliar with Rock Band to be affected.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    hurray for dumb people! :D
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2013
    You're joking of course, but just to get it in writing...

dumb != ignorant

Especially when talking about potential RBN artists. ;)
    edited February 2013
    FairwoodStudios;4987977 said:

you won the lottery and just need to send your bank account number to Nigerian Prince?
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    HMXLachesis;4987980 said:
    I might be missing something, but I don't think your argument for predicting a shortened RBN lifespan is valid. There are three reasons why:

1) Most songs coming through the RBN right now are from unsigned artists, not labels.
    2) RBN songs are only guaranteed for release on Xbox 360.
    3) A large percentage of artist discussions start with an explanation of "what is Rock Band?" These artists are unlikely to be turned off by the lack of official DLC because they are sufficiently unfamiliar with Rock Band to be affected.

Additionally, no more official HMX dlc means less competition, especially from big name artists. I'm not saying people should get there hopes up for more RBN content, but it's possible some artists could see it that way and want to get on board.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    This is just from personal experience, but I've pretty much ignored RBN releases (pretty sure out of the 400+ dlc I own (not counting exports), only one is from RBN). Having only been playing RB for a little over a year, there has been a ton of content that I was familiar with that I wanted so I had no reason to venture over to RBN. Now, there are still a lot of songs on my "will buy" list from HMX but a lot of those songs are "if there's nothing better released that week." So, now I can start going through the RBN catalog to see if there's anything on there I want. Betcha there is!
    edited February 2013
    jibjqrkl;4987983 said:
    you won the lottery and just need to send your bank account number to Nigerian Prince?

No, this one deals with nobility that actually exists.
    edited February 2013
    FairwoodStudios;4988027 said:

Sir Paul McCartney confirmed.

Hoping for Queensryche though
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    edited February 2013
    FairwoodStudios;4988027 said:

King Diamond?
    Prince?
    Queen?
    Queens Of The Stone Age?
    Manowar (Kings Of Metal)?
    Kings Of Leon?
    Queensryche?
    Elvis?
    That weird tiger wrestler guy from Tekken?
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited February 2013
    jibjqrkl;4988091 said:

That weird tiger wrestler guy from Tekken?

That's gotta be it!
    edited February 2013
    wait, I got it! A spoken word version of the entire King Kong movie!
    edited February 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;4988040 said:

Closest. I mixed up nobility and chivalry. I cannot British well.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    OMG, The Beatles confirmed!

I just love setting high expectations :)
    edited February 2013
    Blasteroids;4988123 said:
    OMG, The Beatles confirmed!

I just love setting high expectations :)

And I love messing with people. :)
    edited February 2013
    FairwoodStudios;4988127 said:
    And I love messing with people. :)

He does. He probably has hazel eyes, too. (Like... hazel eyes of the soul. I'm pretty sure his real-life eyes are brown.)
    edited February 2013
    HMXLachesis;4988147 said:
    He does. He probably has hazel eyes, too. (Like... hazel eyes of the soul. I'm pretty sure his real-life eyes are brown.)

Me? My eyes are green. And I prefer she.

If you mean our little Sir Duke that I'm pretty sure you know the identity of... I don't actually know. Didn't find a good picture. (And if you're making some hint or reference here it's gone over my head.)
    edited February 2013
    FairwoodStudios;4988199 said:
    Me? My eyes are green. And I prefer she.

If you mean our little Sir Duke that I'm pretty sure you know the identity of... I don't actually know. Didn't find a good picture. (And if you're making some hint or reference here it's gone over my head.)

Yup, it was a reference. http://www.rockband.com/songs/UGC_5009585
    edited February 2013
    HMXLachesis;4988204 said:

Yep, woosh. >_<
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited February 2013
    FairwoodStudios;4987977 said:

GAAHHH! I hate it when you authoring groups tease us like that! ;)
  • ForToday777ForToday777 Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    This may be a stupid question, but HMX, would you consider forwarding your contacts to the RBN groups since the official DLC is ending?
  • edited February 2013
    A7X backed down when they heard GH was ending. I wonder if TAG will be able to keep them around now. Or any of that stuff Noble teased back in October.
    edited February 2013
    ForToday777;4988543 said:
    This may be a stupid question, but HMX, would you consider forwarding your contacts to the RBN groups since the official DLC is ending?

I've wondered about that. Is there any chance that the major labels will be more willing to work with the RBN now that they know there is no chance of them getting more money by working with Harmonix? I highly doubt it, but you never know...
    MagicMurderBag7;4988548 said:
    A7X backed down when they heard GH was ending. I wonder if TAG will be able to keep them around now. Or any of that stuff Noble teased back in October.
    I've waited years for more stuff from Sub Pop. And now that they would have keys and harmonies... I would seriously bawl my eyes out if they backed off at this point. I've also been getting really into Sublime lately, so I really want them to show up. And since we'd be getting stuff from 40 Oz. to Freedom, "Date Rape". So yeah, it needs to happen.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    MagicMurderBag7;4988548 said:
    If anyone's backing out, I feel that it's because there isn't much (if any) money to be made.
    edited February 2013
    Labels are stupid. The music is just sitting there. Why not allow RBN authors to work with it? The fans are happy, and even if it doesn't make a lot of money, at least it'll make some. Heck, even if it makes no money, at least the music is getting out there (with the potential of introducing it to a future lifelong fan who is willing to give the label all of their monies).
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2013
    TheStuddz;4989381 said:
    Labels are stupid. The music is just sitting there. Why not allow RBN authors to work with it? The fans are happy, and even if it doesn't make a lot of money, at least it'll make some. Heck, even if it makes no money, at least the music is getting out there (with the potential of introducing it to a future lifelong fan who is willing to give the label all of their monies).

Yes, labels are often stupid, but it's not entirely accurate to say "the music is just sitting there." Remember, studio masters have to be found, then digitized (if they aren't already), then massaged into something that sounds more-or-less like the finished product while being played through four or more different audio tracks. Of course the RBN authors are willing to do most if not all the work once the masters are found, but even tracking down the masters can be too much of an effort to be worth the return. And if the masters are available, not every artist or label is willing to simply turn them over to somebody with whom they haven't yet built a trusting relationship. So that's more work the label has to do, and less of a chance they'll see a return on that investment.

It sucks, but it's reality.
  • mastercrazyhandmastercrazyhand Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    but didn't they say that it would end songs every WEEK? aren't they going to continue making new songs every 3 months or so? before you think i'm a troll, remember that i didn't read the full announcement, just the first 3 sentences.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    mastercrazyhand;4989441 said:
    but didn't they say that it would end songs every WEEK? aren't they going to continue making new songs every 3 months or so? before you think i'm a troll, remember that i didn't read the full announcement, just the first 3 sentences.
    Take the time to actually read the announcement and you'll get your answer.
    edited February 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;4988040 said:

Hoping for Queensryche though
    Nevermind. lol