Kickstarter for more or continued PS3 RBN Content?

NeilDiamond1974NeilDiamond1974 Opening Act
edited February 2013 in The Rock Band Network
Okay this is probably a stupid question. I have no idea what is involved or how much money would be required or even if it could happen at all.

Maybe it is one (or) more submission(s) at a later date. Maybe it the option to have the RBN community work with SONY. I don't know. It's likely a completely stupid idea.

Is it worth examining this stupid idea?

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    The problem is that the people at HMX are working at other things and dont have enough time/people to work on ps3 ports. Not money
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately for PS3 players, Sony do not have a user-generated content platform set up that would allow RBN authors to release songs to the Playstation Store in the same way that Microsoft's XNA allows publication to Xbox Live.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    jibjqrkl;4987859 said:
    The problem is that the people at HMX are working at other things and dont have enough time/people to work on ps3 ports.

Guess what fixes those things, more money.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2013
    You can't open a Kickstarter on "someone's behalf," though. If more money would really solve the problem, and Harmonix were so motivated, they would have to open a Kickstarter project themselves.

And that's assuming they even want to continue working on RBN imports. By this point they probably see more value in other projects.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    NeilDiamond1974;4987855 said:

Is it worth examining this stupid idea?

I wouldn't say it's stupid, but Kickstarter won't allow it.

From their FAQ:
    Kickstarter FAQ said:
    1. Funding for projects only.
    A project has a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it. A project is not open-ended. Starting a business, for example, does not qualify as a project.
    Note the bolded part.
    Catch-22;4987910 said:
    Guess what fixes those things, more money.
    How much money do you think it would take? I'm not being snarky, I'm legitimately curious. I don't think there would even be enough support to cover the costs, assuming a couple things: 1) Kickstarter would allow it, and 2) HMX would want to hire new employees solely for this.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited February 2013
    CJHobbes;4987945 said:

How much money do you think it would take? I'm not being snarky, I'm legitimately curious. I don't think there would even be enough support to cover the costs, assuming a couple things: 1) Kickstarter would allow it, and 2) HMX would want to hire new employees solely for this.

who will be fired again after the money from the kickstarter runs out.
  • JuiceBoxHeroJuiceBoxHero Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    Rather than desperately pumping money into a Kickstarter for content that might come, it would probably be more productive to show support for the content that already exists. I mean, if enough people had been buying the PS3 RBN tracks before it maybe wouldn't be such an easy decision for Harmonix to stop supporting it.

But yeah, a Kickstarter to rasie 25 or 50 or however many thousands of dollars just to release 5 songs a week that might sell a few hundred copies doesn't seem like a very viable solution. Buying the tracks that are available right now really does the same thing: shows interest and demand for RBN content and gets money to Harmonix. If they think there's enough support and enough money coming in that could be more effective than a a Kickstarter type campaign.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    JuiceBoxHero;4988163 said:
    Rather than desperately pumping money into a Kickstarter for content that might come, it would probably be more productive to show support for the content that already exists. I mean, if enough people had been buying the PS3 RBN tracks before it maybe wouldn't be such an easy decision for Harmonix to stop supporting it.

I wouldn't blame Harmonix. Sony haven't exactly made it easy for them (particularly SCEE).

As for us not showing support for the RBN, I have to disagree. Even though a bulk of the content was metal (which i'm not a huge fan of), RBN content makes up about 140 out of the 1200+ songs I have in my library. That's not bad considering we only got 5 songs a week.

I think the RBN brought us some great tracks from artists i'd never heard of before, but perhaps if more big name artists released material onto the RBN and we got more than 5 songs a week it would have been more successful.

I really can't see why a similar setup couldn't have been implemented on the PS3 where independent content could be submitted (not necessarily for sale through the PSN/SEN Store, but directly from within the game), but let's face it, even if Sony agreed to that, Microsoft would never allow it.

It's sad that musical games like Rock Band are coming to an end. It's only a matter of time until SingStar calls it a day as well. It's really unfortunate as these are the games I play the most on the PS3.

Here's hoping it's just a temporary thing, and that we'll see a Rock Band 4 some day on the PS4 and nextgen XBOX!
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited February 2013
    I guess if you wanted to get a group of people to go to harmonix and work on PS3 RBN stuff for no pay of any kind then maybe we could get continued PS3 RBN content.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited February 2013
    Graffin;4988845 said:
    As for us not showing support for the RBN, I have to disagree.

It's important to keep in mind that RockBand.com forum users are only a small percentage of the userbase - and the people on the RBN section of the forums are a smaller percentage than that.

Are the people in here showing support? Absolutely. People in here are amazing.

But if you start looking at PS3 RBN leaderboard scores, especially for songs released in the last 12 months... well, it's pretty educational.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    I really hate being ranked in last place in the world, which has happened more than once with RBN songs. I'd come up with theories that "only the prodigies and obsessives bought this song in the first week, and everyone else is playing off-line". Hopefully hundreds of people. Because I'm not THAT bad at Rock Band... am I?

[The "sad" version of the song "Christmas Time Is Here" plays as Meat-Popsicle walks home with his head down]
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    So... is there any ways that would actually be possible? Because I would be willing to try a lot to get more PS3 RBN.

Also a question to HMX, if you ever do release any more official songs (for example that GnR Reggeae song =P) would we get some PS3 RBN as well as the official DLC if that where to happen?
    edited February 2013
    NightmareLyre;4989067 said:
    So... is there any ways that would actually be possible? Because I would be willing to try a lot to get more PS3 RBN.
    No, a Kickstarter wouldn't work here. If nothing else, as people have pointed out, it's against the Kickstarter rules.
    NightmareLyre;4989067 said:
    Also a question to HMX, if you ever do release any more official songs (for example that GnR Reggeae song =P) would we get some PS3 RBN as well as the official DLC if that where to happen?
    We have no plans at this time to release more official DLC, so I can't really address what we would or wouldn't do under those circumstances.
    edited February 2013
    HMXLachesis;4988936 said:
    It's important to keep in mind that RockBand.com forum users are only a small percentage of the userbase - and the people on the RBN section of the forums are a smaller percentage than that.

Are the people in here showing support? Absolutely. People in here are amazing.

But if you start looking at PS3 RBN leaderboard scores, especially for songs released in the last 12 months... well, it's pretty educational.

You may be right, but at the same time, perhaps some of that stems from lack of promotion of the RBN on the PS3 platform. The 360 got the megamix to kick things off and it was always well advertised. It was always something that was crippled on the PS3, with the 30 day exclusivity and only 5 releases a week.

But, going by leaderboards alone, you won't see my band's name on there or any of my friends' band names on there, because we don't play online. I don't know exactly how XBOX Live works, but i'm assuming if you have to pay for the privilege of playing with others, you'd be making the most of it, whereas us PS3 gamers are probably more snobby (i'm speaking of myself here, so I mean no offense to anyone else).

I guess the point i'm trying to make is, perhaps there's other data (like sales figures) which may better show how successful the RBN was on the PS3.

I know Rock Band isn't eligible for the Kickstarter, but please, if there's anything we can do to bring back RBN releases for the PS3, please let us know. Whether it's petitions, or getting more users to purchase and play RBN content, we may be a small percentage of users here on the forums, but the internet can help us spread the word to others.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Graffin;4989687 said:

But, going by leaderboards alone, you won't see my band's name on there or any of my friends' band names on there, because we don't play online. I don't know exactly how XBOX Live works, but i'm assuming if you have to pay for the privilege of playing with others, you'd be making the most of it, whereas us PS3 gamers are probably more snobby (i'm speaking of myself here, so I mean no offense to anyone else).
    If your console is connected to the internet (which it has to be if you buy DLC, unless you only plug it in to buy songs and disconnect it when you're done) then all of the songs you play put you on the leaderboard for that song. You don't need to be playing online with other people or even with other people in the same room, a 'band' can be just one person. That's how the leaderboards work on both Xbox and PS3 and the number of names on them is the best indicator of how well a song has sold.
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I only connect to the PSN Store, buy the DLC, then disconnect. I don't even play the game whilst connected as I find those alerts of friends coming online/going offline whilst i'm playing a lil distracting.

Well, I hope Rock Band makes a comeback on the next-gen consoles, and if there is anything we can do to get RBN/DLC back on the PS3, please let us know!
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2013
    Graffin;4989687 said:
    You may be right, but at the same time, perhaps some of that stems from lack of promotion of the RBN on the PS3 platform. The 360 got the megamix to kick things off and it was always well advertised. It was always something that was crippled on the PS3, with the 30 day exclusivity and only 5 releases a week.

I guess the point i'm trying to make is, perhaps there's other data (like sales figures) which may better show how successful the RBN was on the PS3.

I know Rock Band isn't eligible for the Kickstarter, but please, if there's anything we can do to bring back RBN releases for the PS3, please let us know. Whether it's petitions, or getting more users to purchase and play RBN content, we may be a small percentage of users here on the forums, but the internet can help us spread the word to others.

Yeah there are sales figures out there and there has been a dip in PS3 RBN sales lately.

While PSN sales have never tracked neck and neck with 360 sales for the RBN, it used to be about half or a little more of the 360 sales for the PSN.

Now it's slunk down to a quarter and sometimes less. Which might not sound like that big a deal, but when you take into consideration that 360 sales aren't exactly burning up the charts either, it quickly becomes an issue of these just aren't making enough for HMX to continue to support the PSN.

Remember when the Wii was cut off because songs were getting only 600 downloads compared to the other consoles in the thousands?

Now a standard seller for the 360 is around 5-600, and a great track (meaning rare unicorn) will hit 1 or 2 thousand.

To put it in perspective our largest selling (by a lot so don't think this is indicitive of current sales) for 4th quarter on the 360 garnered about 2100 downloads. That same song on the PS3 barely cracked 400, and most of the highly requested songs you see here on the PSN request? They're getting about 3 - 400 downloads if that.

So you can see the dilema. I'm sure HMX doesn't want to abandon PSN support for the RBN, but when you take in all the extra work they have to do to get them (not to mention the paperwork and payouts they have to handle themselves to pay the authors and bands), there's just not enough revenue coming in to support the PSN at this point.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Graffin;4989751 said:
    Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I only connect to the PSN Store, buy the DLC, then disconnect. I don't even play the game whilst connected as I find those alerts of friends coming online/going offline whilst i'm playing a lil distracting.

Well, I hope Rock Band makes a comeback on the next-gen consoles, and if there is anything we can do to get RBN/DLC back on the PS3, please let us know!

You can turn the notifications off in the system options you know =P

But yeah hope there might be some way, somehow. Also some way to get our tracks onto PS4 if there becomes a new game in the far future due to Sony's stupid compatibility issues
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2013
    The strong rumor is that they're going to offer past PS libraries via the Genki cloud service.

Which means you'll either have to buy the game again and access it on the cloud, or pay a monthly service fee to access all the titles ala cart.

Now what that means for games that you own DLC for I have no idea, but there is a bit of hope when it comes to RB3 on the PS4.
    edited February 2013
    Graffin;4989687 said:

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to quote sales figures, as the sales figures are confidential information. I routinely reference the leaderboard scores instead because, by comparing the leaderboard scores of various songs, you can get an approximate idea of how those songs compare to one another in size/sales. The leaderboard scores will be a little high sometimes because people play on their friends' consoles, or a little low sometimes because people purchase songs and then don't play them, but it evens out.

Checking sales numbers based on the web leaderboards can be a bit confusing, as any song with fewer than 1,000 entries on the leaderboard will show an accurate count, and any song that has over 1,000 entries on the leaderboard will show only the top 1%. However, only 3 RBN PS3 songs released in the last 12 months are in this range, so generally speaking, you'll be looking at an accurate leaderboard count on the web.
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, I understand you not being able to release or even discuss sales figures.

I had no idea it was that dire. I am fascinated by all those stats and figures though. That would be mind blowing stuff to go through!

I only wish Harmonix promoted the games and RBN outside the US more. The only advertisement we received in Australia was for The Beatles : Rock Band which was shown all of twice on TV. Whereas GH made its presence very visible here. Everyone knew about those games, but that killed itself due to lack of DLC (expensive DLC). Rock Band has an awesome library of songs, and if more people knew about the 80MSP/99 cent RBN tracks, i'd say more would have purchased those songs. Here in Australia, there's actually no RBN on the XBOX, which sucks too.

I also asked many times here on the forum why there were no Shick/Energizer/similar promotions offered outside the US, but it was never addressed.

Anyway, I won't take up any more of your time HMXLachesis. I thank both you and HMXHenry who've taken the time over the years to support me and the other users on this forum.

I wish you guys all the best in whatever future projects you're involved in. Hopefully one of them will be a Rock Band 4 (or similar game) on the nextgen consoles some time in the future!
    edited February 2013
    Graffin;4990549 said:
    I also asked many times here on the forum why there were no Shick/Energizer/similar promotions offered outside the US, but it was never addressed.
    Oh. I know this one!

It's the same reason why Blitz tournaments can only be won in the US. The legal requirements for setting up a giveaway increase exponentially in complexity with every additional country involved.