Want to be forum famous? Tell us your best RB stories and we'll publish them!

edited July 2013 in Rock Band
Hey gang,

So with the recent announcement that the weekly Rock Band DLC streak will end in early April, we've been doing a lot of talking about what we can do to keep the community active and interested in the huge library of 4,000+ songs. We'll still have RBN tracks on the 360, and we're brainstorming plans for ongoing DLC giveaways, but we'd also love to keep web content updated on a regular basis.

That's where you come in. Most of the content posted here on RockBand.com comes from the Community Team and other Harmonix devs, but as we ramp up production on new projects we won't have the bandwidth to update as regularly as we'd like. However, we've also posted a number of kick ass fan stories over the years, and we'd like your help publishing more!

Do you have a favorite DLC release? Did we put your favorite song in Rock Band? Did you fall in love with a band after hearing them for the first time in game? Have you ever thrown a bonkers Rock Band party? Do you use RB as part of a charity event or fundraiser? Have you made friends or did you meet your significant other while playing RB together? THIS IS ALL PERFECT STUFF!

If you're interested in writing around 500 words about RB, just shoot me a PM with that info and your email and we can follow up there. You can also post your interest in the thread, but don't post the full story here, just give us an idea of what you'd like to write about so we can make sure people don't double up on the same band or subject. We'll proof read and edit, credit you however you'd like (real name, forum handle, gamertag, Twitter handle, etc), come up with a clever title, work with you to find an ideal header image (in game image, custom illustration, photos if you have them, etc), and then we'll publish the piece here on RockBand.com/blog, Tweet it out from the main @RockBand account, and post on Facebook, to reach our community of over 3 million followers!

So there you go. If you're interested in contributing just let us know and we'll follow up!

Comments

• Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited February 2013
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    We have had hundreds of Rb parties over the years some bigger then others. This was a smaller RB party we had like two or three months after the original RB came in 07. We were all playing one song after another with no issues everyone having a good time, at one point we moved on to the next song when we all realized that we were no longer playing the instruments. The song continued to the end, full band play and every note of every instrument was hit, 100%. Kind of freaked out about what was happening I went to retrieve my camcorder to document what was happening and moved on to the next song GGaHT and sure enough it was doing the same thing 100% on all instruments with no one playing them. This went on for three more songs and when we went on to the fourth song it had stopped and it was back to regular play. I have three of those songs with all our surroundings on dvd and it is clear and evident proof that it had happened.

Cant explain why it happened, it never happened again in all the years of playing RB. I am not sure my story could fill a 500 word post but I can tell you this I have been around these forums since RB's inception and have never heard of this happening to anyone else. Would be more then happy to provide you with the dvd and if I can figure out how to post the vidoe here I would be more then happy to do so. May need some help, I can get it to my computer from the dvd but not sure how to upload it here

Not sure how to find it but there is a thread I started in regards to the events immediately after it happened. Of course no one believed me, but I have the proof
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2013
    My favorite band isn't in Rock Band, you insensitve clod!

(Yet?) :D
  • edited February 2013
    Will there be a Poetry Corner?
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited February 2013
    I'm down. Dibs on Fall Out Boy
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited February 2013
    Doc_SoCal;4990191 said:
    Will there be a Poetry Corner?

C'mon, Doc. This is Rock Band. You mean Poetry Slam Corner?
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited February 2013
    El Guapo is so famous, he's infamous.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm already forum famous
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited February 2013
    Would you say we have a plethora of stories to tell?
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited February 2013
    I like the idea of reading some awesome stories... I don't think I will participate since I don't have any awesome stories besides I have been playing rock band for a long time

but I look forward to reading what gets published on the blog
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited February 2013
    Weird. Someone wrote a story about me and my love story with some girl Laura that I dont even know.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Just PM'd you Aaron. This is awesome! :D
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for all the PMs so far! I'll review them all on Monday, reply to everyone, and get to work on building a rough schedule for this content.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Please feel free to use anything I've ever posted or will post in these forums for such a project.

:)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited February 2013
    I will type out an elaborate story later, when I'm not too busy playing RB3 :3
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited February 2013
    Man . . where to begin. I've got all kinds of RB stories! :eek:

Early releases, loads of crazy parties, had the first official Rock Band cake, forum friend meetups that left the country, forum DLC conspiracies, before retiring I was the most decorated custom title holder there was, rocked the Pepsi stage at E3 with RB heroes like BillTvShow CenaChainGang and ibiteprettyhard, and even got to meet with HMX legends like HMXhenry Sean and Drake! . . . oh, and can't forget that time me and DocSoCal battled the the shipping company but then HMXhenry aka Dr.Doom came in and blew up the UPS truck with his lazers.

So many RB memories I could go on forever. Hard to believe it's been so long. RB4ever and a big shout out to Der Lex and all his new kids!

(and while i'm at it, I also take credit for creating HeyRiles and Hogan2000 :p)
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited February 2013
    Oh yea, and can't forget my band, Renrock and the Killer B's!!!!

(what were your names again? I just remember they all started with B :p)
  • acondon747acondon747 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Rock Band is my personal jukebox, I've made all my characters over the years to be representative of my two favorite TV shows, with custom guitars (tattoos) and such. I wish the photo booth still existed because my new characters just fit so well in game.

I was never a big radio junkie, only listened to music in the car. That was until Rock Band came out, I did like Guitar Hero but never bothered to buy it or into the "fad" of music games, until I saw Rock Band in a Best Buy.

I went from never listening to much music to buying a real drum set, learning tabs, playing for fun with my nephews. Every time we had a party I'd notice half the kids end up in my room playing Rock Band and I've have to join in :)

Of all the songs I love there are only a few missing from the Rock Band library and two come out next week, every Friday has always been a "What are we getting next week" day. The game really made just having fun, fun!!!

Wanna thank you guys for all the spectacular work and really would love to see it never die! LONG LIVE ROCK...BAND!!! :P
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited February 2013
    Am I late for the party bruther. I'm interested pal
    edited February 2013
    Hogan2000;4992560 said:
    Am I late for the party bruther. I'm interested pal

I would like to share the time one of my all time favorite bands dude. Cinderella made it to Rock Band dude and the first song I ever FC'd pal.
  • edited February 2013
    I've replied to everyone that has PM'd me so far! It looks like we're off to a great start, with some really cool topics being proposed.

We'll continue to accept offers, so if you're interested just drop me a line with the info listed in the OP and I'll get back to you ASAP!
  • edited February 2013
    Renrock;4991536 said:
    Man . . where to begin. I've got all kinds of RB stories! :eek:

Early releases, loads of crazy parties, had the first official Rock Band cake, forum friend meetups that left the country, forum DLC conspiracies, before retiring I was the most decorated custom title holder there was, rocked the Pepsi stage at E3 with RB heroes like BillTvShow CenaChainGang and ibiteprettyhard, and even got to meet with HMX legends like HMXhenry Sean and Drake! . . . oh, and can't forget that time me and DocSoCal battled the the shipping company but then HMXhenry aka Dr.Doom came in and blew up the UPS truck with his lazers.

So many RB memories I could go on forever. Hard to believe it's been so long. RB4ever and a big shout out to Der Lex and all his new kids!

(and while i'm at it, I also take credit for creating HeyRiles and Hogan2000 :p)

Good times indeed....
  • Henry_SardonicusHenry_Sardonicus Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Can I send in how I would've written something if you ever released They Might Be Giants but you never did?
    edited February 2013
    shoot I didn't make the cut bruther. O well ha ha dude. Power to the players bruther.
  • edited February 2013
    Hogan2000;4992607 said:
    shoot I didn't make the cut bruther. O well ha ha dude. Power to the players bruther.

There's no cut! I only said I've replied to everyone that PM'd me. That's probably the easiest way to track personal info so I've edited to OP to make it clear that offers should come to me via PM.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Henry, a while back I mailed you a RB tee shirt that I personally designed for friends and family, along with a letter of how much RB has meant to me and the impact it has had on my life. If you are interested in using it, I can edit it to fit more along the lines of what you might need. If you never received it, I can send you a copy. If it doesn't fit what you're lookiing for, that's ok too. My feelings won't be hurt. :)
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2013
    hmxhenry;4992931 said:
    There's no cut! I only said I've replied to everyone that PM'd me. That's probably the easiest way to track personal info so I've edited to OP to make it clear that offers should come to me via PM.

I sent a PM a few days ago but haven't heard anything back. Hopefully I did it right!

Either way, this is really cool of HMX to do. :) The fan-written blog entries are among some of the most interesting pieces on the Rock Band website.
  • HairyManHairyMan Always Rock On The Bright Side Of Life
    edited March 2013
    This will be difficult as I have to admit many faults in myself. I got into RockBand in between RB1 and RB2. I had just gotten a PS3 and had picked up GH:WT because they had some Tool songs. (Tool, at the time, was my favorite band). My roommate, however, had picked up RB2 and I saw how much better the DLC was for RB2 so that became my main gain. I soon saw myself buying RB2 DLC in bunches, while GH:WT got no attention. I was soon a RB fanatic.

Time went on and I kept buying RB DLC. Life was going well and everything was good. Then reality set in. I had a good job, had bought a house, and everything was good. But that "goodness" doesn't last forever. I started hanging out with the wrong crowd and developed a substance abuse problem. I never thought it was a real problem, but reality does a good job of hitting you upside the head.

I got arrested. :( It was my own fault and nobody else's. I thought I was above that. I wound up in jail. I was charged with possession of a controlled substance. I can blame nobody but myself. Still, RB helped me through it. To this day, one full year since I touched that stuff, I have been clean. No matter what has happened, RB has been there. I have played countless songs which have reminded me of those drug infested times, but I have remained clean.

Throughout all the bad times, RB has been there for me. When I was scared that I'd spend a good part of my life in prison, I knew that if I changed my ways RB would be there. Since that bad time happened, I have been clean. I have not given in to my bad habits even though the lines of it had been spread before me. Was it difficult? Yes, it was more difficult than anything in my life, but I have beaten it. I have beaten an addiction that could have killed me.

The entire time I was having trouble, RB was there. I could always play a song that would remind me of what the good things in life were. To this day, I have had cravings for what hurt me in life. But when these cravings come, I play Rock Band and things are better. I'm happy being clean. I feel better about everything and can smile when I wake up.

The time since I've had those addiction problems has been difficult. I've been VERY suicidal at times, yet I know it was only my fault. Still, I know that if it weren't for RB I might not be here today. Whenever a vicious addiction pull hits me, I play RB and feel so much better.

Thank you Harmonix. If it wasn't for RB and all the songs I can play at this time, I might not be here right now. Drug addiction is not fun. For the first few years it is amazing, but during that time you have no idea how much trouble it's causing you. I am now happily clean and don't want any more of it. Yes, I have come across it since my cessation of its use, but I have yet to touch it in over a year.

If RB didn't exist, I don't know where I'd be. It's sad knowing that it's all coming to an end, but for those who work at Harmonix, you have saved at least one life. I thank you.

Warmest Regards,
    Justin
  • crashb648crashb648 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    HMXHenry! I haven't had a reply after I sent you the article, so I have no idea if it's any good or not. Any chance you could send me a reply to my email so I know to if it needs any changes done to it before it gets published? Thanks!