I never used to worry about the song cap.

skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
edited February 2013 in Rock Band
But now I'm worried about it. I feel like I have to be very careful what songs I pick now. Since there are more songs available than will fit in the game and with no new DLC I'm going to be reaching that limit sooner or later.

So, what's that limit again?

Comments

• KyleJCrbKyleJCrb Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    2,952 for PS3 and XBox, 1,000 for Wii.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    Thanks. I only have about 500 downloaded songs so far so I can breath for a while yet.

That number is only for DLC, right? Does that include disk songs too? What about exports? Thanks again.
  • KyleJCrbKyleJCrb Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    I believe (would like some confirmation please) that it's a limit on the total number of songs in the library, regardless of their source. The count includes all exports, on-disc songs, and DLC.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    KyleJCrb;4990642 said:
    I believe (would like some confirmation please) that it's a limit on the total number of songs in the library, regardless of their source. The count includes all exports, on-disc songs, and DLC.

Some people talked about the source limit, as that limit would be the number of files loading when RB is loading DLC. I wonder which it is, 3000 (or so) DLC, or 3000 files. Can anyon who has reached the limit confirm?
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    Whether its DLC or a disc import, when you load more than 2952 songs you will get the song limit cap screen. Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades do not count as individual pieces of content.

I'm wondering where 100% DLC'ers for PS3 are at right now? With the DLC ending for PS3 in April, they may never hit the cap.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited February 2013
    I'm at 2861 songs on the PS3. We shouldn't get 91 in the next 4 weeks.
    edited February 2013
    So, what do you do if you hit the limit and want other songs? Do you delete songs and then redownload them, swapping songs out like that?

I'm afraid to reach a point like that in case the servers go down forever and part of my library is lost to limbo.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4990825 said:
    So, what do you do if you hit the limit and want other songs? Do you delete songs and then redownload them, swapping songs out like that?

I'm afraid to reach a point like that in case the servers go down forever and part of my library is lost to limbo.
    Well the best strategy is to put songs you don't like that much onto a seperate memory card (usb stick for 360/ps3) and switch cards when you want to play those other songs. I still have a good 800 songs before I reach the limit so in short I'll never reach it.
    edited February 2013
    grumblevolcano;4990835 said:
    Well the best strategy is to put songs you don't like that much onto a seperate memory card (usb stick for 360/ps3) and switch cards when you want to play those other songs. I still have a good 800 songs before I reach the limit so in short I'll never reach it.

Is that easy to do? Use a USB to store the songs on?

Also, while people are kindly answering these questions, can you cherry pick songs to delete or will whole packs disappear if you delete any song from the set.
    edited February 2013
    grumblevolcano;4990835 said:
    (usb stick for 360/ps3)

AFAIK you can't use USB storage for DLC on PS3.

A quick way, and it might be expensive on xbox because micro**** doesn't like you to use standart HDD, would be to get a second one, and simply split your collection. On PS3 you can use any laptop HDD, xbox is another story, though.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4990842 said:
    Is that easy to do? Use a USB to store the songs on?

Also, while people are kindly answering these questions, can you cherry pick songs to delete or will whole packs disappear if you delete any song from the set.

When you select delete song, you get a notice saying:

You're about to delete X songs from your library. You can re-download these songs from the Rock Band Music Store at any time.

X is the number of songs in the pack.
    edited February 2013
    billybobjoe1881;4990809 said:
    I'm at 2861 songs on the PS3. We shouldn't get 91 in the next 4 weeks.

Harmonix seems to be shutting the DLC off at the perfect time as the Full DLC'ers for PS3 will never have to worry about the limit screen of death.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    KyleJCrb;4990624 said:
    2,952 for PS3 and XBox, 1,000 for Wii.

Just out of curiosity, do we know if that number is accurate for PS3, considering we don't have that many songs?
    edited February 2013
    TubaDude49;4991004 said:
    Just out of curiosity, do we know if that number is accurate for PS3, considering we don't have that many songs?

We dont know until somebody actually hits it on the PS3. Its all speculation at this point due to the 360's known cap.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited February 2013
    On xbox 360, it's quite easy to put a chunk of songs onto a usb stick, and Rock Band has no trouble reading the songs from that and the songs from your hard drive at the same time.

Incidentally, the 360 supports up to two flash drives at once, but if you have rock band songs on both of them, Rock Band can no longer cache all the songs (or something) so it goes through the full "finding new content" load screen each time, as if you had just bought all of the songs new. So don't do that.
  • IAmMurlocIAmMurloc Unsigned
    edited February 2013
    skyp1e;4990825 said:

you won't. even when Harmonix shuts down the servers altogether, that has no effect on the music available on the store, as that's hosted by Microsoft/Sony. Even to this day, you can buy songs for Guitar Hero. Not through the in-game stores, but through www.xbox.com (does Sony have an equal alternative?).
    edited February 2013
    IAmMurloc;4991693 said:
    www.xbox.com (does Sony have an equal alternative?).

Yes they do now.

If I remember correctly about the song cap on wii, there's a workaround, but it's annoying to do. I can't remember the steps to do it though.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    The Wii has a 2MB file for cache. So 1000 songs sounds about right. You could always swap around cards, but I'm guessing older songs would have to be overwritten to make room for the extra songs on other cards.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    TubaDude49;4991004 said:
    We definitely don't know, as there's no way to test it. It doesn't really matter though. As billybobjoe1881 pointed out on the first page, we're not going to get enough songs for it to matter in the next four weeks, unless the PS3 cap is lower than the Xbox 360 one for some reason.

I'm not far behind billybobjoe1881, as I'm about a dozen songs short of being a PS3 DLC completionist, and I think it's sort of a bittersweet relief to know I won't have to pick and choose what to buy, ever.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    StackOverflow0x;4992156 said:
    The Wii has a 2MB file for cache. So 1000 songs sounds about right. You could always swap around cards, but I'm guessing older songs would have to be overwritten to make room for the extra songs on other cards.

(Link with info, too lazy to point at the actual post)
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208901&pagenumber=

There is a hard cap of 1000 songs (including disc songs) that are available at any one time. This means you can have 917 songs on an SDHC card. The Wii devs explain the reasons for the cap in the thread I linked. The Wii can now use a 32GB sdhc card. It used to be limited to 2GB (4GB with some fiddling) but that limit was changed with a Wii system update. Depending on the size of your songs, you can get in the neighborhood of 850 songs on a 16GB card. If I go to 1000 I'm going to need a 32GB card, but they are cheap and a backup at this point is clearly a good idea.