Rockband 3 keyboard Midi not working

shrike520shrike520 Unsigned
Hello,
I'm trying to use my RB3 keyboard as a midi keyboard with Garageband on my MacMini. I can't get it to work. I've tried 3 different RB3 keyboards (mine + friends) and two different Midi-to-USB cables. Everything on the web seems to indicate that you just plug it in and it works.

I've noticed that Garageband recognizes the midi input, but the little green LED that indicates keyboard input never lights up when I hit keys on the keyboard.

MadCatz support seems to be ignoring me, so I thought I'd try here and see if anyone else had similiar issues.

Thanks.

Comments

• AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited February 2013
    I've never tried the keyboard as a MIDI devide, however, I'm very familiar with MIDI, and you NEED to turn on the MIDI device, and plug it to the computer before even booting the MIDI software. I used the Mustang as a MIDI device and it works with FL Studio and Reaktor, and probably any MIDI software, the keyboard should too. Make sure the keyboard is turned on and not connected to your console before booting your software.
  • jimhenryjimhenry Opening Act
    edited February 2013
    I use a PS3 RB keytar for MIDI input frequently on a PC. I have used an Xbox RB keytar occasionally and I have on occasion connected them to an iPad. Yes, it is basically correct that you just plug it in and it works but, as Alternity said, you do need to have the MIDI hardware up before you start the software.

Not seeing the LED flash when you press a key almost certainly means the MIDI to USB cable is not seeing the MIDI being sent by the keytar. The MIDI convention is that the MIDI Out jack on the keytar goes to the MIDI In plug of the cable. Try using the other plug from what you are trying now. You need to see that flashing LED. If I remember correctly, the RB keytar sends a constant stream of MIDI "keep alive" messages so you should see steady flashes even without pressing a key.
  • shrike520shrike520 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Plugging in the keytar before starting GarageBand still didn't work. I even rebooted the macMini with the keytar plugged in and it STILL didn't work.

I'm pretty sure I have the right Midi jack plugged in since plugging in the other one causes all of the keytar channel lights to blink on/off.

jimhenry, what midi software are you using on your PC? Can you recommend some PC midi software that I can try?
    edited March 2013
    Another thing, some USB to MIDI cables doesnt work with 64bit OS.
    edited March 2013
    Anybody have a cable they know worked with a 64 bit OS (Mac or PC)?
    edited March 2013
    shrike520;4995153 said:
    Anybody have a cable they know worked with a 64 bit OS (Mac or PC)?

I've bought the one with the trebas and silver wires locally, and it was said on package that the drivers supports 64bit OS, but i've seen many of those online, and alot of them are the old version of the drivers, so if you got one of those, make sure it was said to work on 64bit.
  • jimhenryjimhenry Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    On a PC the free MIDI-OX is the go to MIDI Monitor and all around MIDI "Swiss Army Knife".

On my PS keytar disconnecting the MIDI cable causes the 4 LEDs to blink together. When the MIDI In cable is connected the one left LED on the keytar is on solid.

The Emu Xtab is considered a reliable choice for a MIDI cable. Do either of the MIDI to USB cables you tried work with other equipment?
    edited March 2013
    I only have the RB3 keyboard midi device. I did try the cables on my wife's 32-bit laptop and (demo) FL Studio and still no luck.

I will try again with MIDI-OX.

Out of frustration I also ordered a regular MIDI keyboard, so maybe this weekend I will find out which element is causing the issue.
    edited March 2013
    My Alesis Q25 arrived yesterday, so I tried to various combinations of keyboards/cables/software to see where the issue was. I had two RB3 keyboards, two MIDI-to-USB cables, one Alesis Q25 USB/MIDI keyboard, GarageBand on a 64 bit mac and MIDI-OX on a 32 bit Win 7 machine.

The Alesis worked out of the box via the usb out with both GarageBand and MIDI-OX. So I know the Alesis works. I then tried using the Alesis with the MIDI-to-USB cables with MIDI-OX on the Windows machine. Only one of the cables worked, but that means that I have at least one good cable.

I then tried both of the RB3 keyboards with the MIDI-to-USB cable that worked and had no success. I noticed that the in order to get a single solid led on the RB3 keyboard to light up I had to use the MIDI IN, while the Alesis only worked with the MIDI OUT.

Conclusions: I either have two bad RB3 keyboards, or they require a (VERY) specific MIDI-to-USB cable. However, since my Alesis works great (and I've already bought two cables that didn't work) I no longer care. At this point the RB3 keyboards will just do single duty as RB3 controllers.

Thanks for everyone who offered help and suggestions.
    edited March 2013
    Okey, one of your cables worked on windows, my guess is you have a 64bit machine, and one of the cables does not have a driver for 64bit.

Are you saying that your Alesis was working using the OUT of the cable? That's impossible unless your keyboard has a MIDI IN and can recieve MIDI data. Maybe the prints for IN/OUT was interchanged for some reason?

If you want an advice, use your Alesis to play RB3, probably a better keyboard.

Also, those cables doesnt like to be plugeed in different USB ports, if possible, try to uninstall all the drivers that they installed (one for each port), and plug it back, and use always the same port.