What are the chances of a Rock Band 3 Export?

bmdbmd15bmdbmd15 Unsigned
edited March 2013 in Rock Band Blitz
Plenty of songs I would love to play in Rock Band Blitz just sitting there asking to be exported and for Harmonix to take my money. I never played any of the Rock Band's due to not being able to play with a guitar comfortably. That said I own copies of Rock Band, RB 2, Lego RB and even have a copy of RB3 just to export and play in RB Blitz.

I realize we Blitz owners are a small portion of the RB community but you are allowing for individual downloads of Blitz songs for RB3 owners who did not wish to purchase Blitz. Throw your loyal Blitz customers a bone. ;)

Sincerely,

A customer that has well over 800 songs and spent quite a chunk of change on this great game.

Comments

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 2013
    HMX has already confirmed that a RB3 export will not be happening, at least not until a new RB game comes out which they have also confirmed that they have no plans to create one. There are many reasons why an export wouldn't happen including it being physically impossible to create given Blitz's infrastructure.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    There's no way enough people would buy it to justify the expense. The music labels probably don't much care that the rhythm game genre is dead as far as what they'd ask for licensing. It would actually probably be quite humorous to know exactly how much they'd have to charge to even break even with the projected sales.
  • Bundle85Bundle85 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    It would actually probably be quite humorous to know exactly how much they'd have to charge to even break even with the projected sales.
    Anyone going to PAX, please ask this question to the panel.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited March 2013
    I'd be willing to lay down 1600 MSP for an export. Any more than that, and I'd have to consider it for a while.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I was thinking it would be really difficult for them to export RB3, since there was no unique code printed in the booklet. But there was, right? One that needed to be entered to link your gameplay to rockband.com? As I remember it, it was just the re-issued discs from MadCatz that lacked the code. Are people that bought that version unable to link their play to rockband.com?

So, at this point, it's down to "not worth their effort", but when RB3 was first released, they were set up for the possibility of an export, based on that unique disc booklet code. Right?
  • edited March 2013
    Meat-Popsicle;4995503 said:
    I was thinking it would be really difficult for them to export RB3, since there was no unique code printed in the booklet. But there was, right? One that needed to be entered to link your gameplay to rockband.com? As I remember it, it was just the re-issued discs from MadCatz that lacked the code. Are people that bought that version unable to link their play to rockband.com?

So, at this point, it's down to "not worth their effort", but when RB3 was first released, they were set up for the possibility of an export, based on that unique disc booklet code. Right?
    The booklet code does exist but that is really used for nothing as of now.

That link code is in game, not printed anywhere and it serves one specific function. Linking.

Why no export? Licensing is hard and expensive. :P
  • edited March 2013
    As addressed in multiple other threads, an RB3 -> Blitz export is incredibly unlikely. The primary reason is that there was no export tool built into Blitz, so there's nothing for RB3 to export into. This isn't something that we forgot or avoided doing because we are jerks, but rather because Blitz is a downloadable title, which makes it significantly smaller than a disc based title. That means it's not technically possible to carry all the bells and whistles like an export feature to receive the RB3 on disc tracks. It'd be like trying to cram a 10lb turkey into a 5lb bag.

To the OP's point about releasing Blitz tracks as singles, we're able to do that because Blitz is already, technically, DLC. It's almost like releasing tracks as singles or a pack. Releasing RB3 tracks in a similar method isn't an option because they are disc songs and weren't licensed as DLC. I think we've thrown Blitz rockers a pretty big bone by giving them access to the other 4,139 songs, so hopefully you'll be able to get by without the 83 from RB3.
  • bmdbmd15bmdbmd15 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. Please bear in mind that while you gave us access to the other 4,139 songs, we did have to pay for their use and somewhere in the world of Harmonix a profit on it was made.

Thanks
  • edited March 2013
    bmdbmd15;4995600 said:
    I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. Please bear in mind that while you gave us access to the other 4,139 songs, we did have to pay for their use and somewhere in the world of Harmonix a profit on it was made.

Thanks

I mean, yeah, at some point we did make a profit out of all the songs and games you bought. We are a business and that's how businesses keep running. But it's not as if we've charged for DLC compatibility in Blitz, is my point. We wanted to make sure that as much of the library as possible was compatible with Blitz, and we wanted to do so with minimal convenience to the player. So all DLC, RBN tracks, and previous exports are playable in Blitz at no additional cost. I think that's a pretty big bone to throw, but sorry we're not technically able to throw the bone you want in addition.
  • edited March 2013
    hmxhenry;4995605 said:
    and we wanted to do so with minimal convenience to the player.

Sadists. ;)
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited March 2013
    With all the boning going on in here I'm pretty sure everyone should be satisfied.