should rockband 4 be on the ps3 or ps4?

illmissrockbandillmissrockband Opening Act
edited November 2013 in Rock Band
i think it would be more beneficial to have the next real rockband game on current gen because all of those dlc downloads won't work on the ps4. no backwards compatibility.
they'd have to either redo it to work with the new system or sony has to put backwards compatibility in their system. all i know is i wouldn't for those 500+ songs AGAIN

Comments

• sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited March 2013
    RB is dead. So no RB4. Simple as that.
  • illmissrockbandillmissrockband Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    sillystou;5001994 said:
    RB is dead. So no RB4. Simple as that.

they said they would continue to support it so there's a possibility for another sequel.
    it's more like in a coma than dead.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5002000 said:
    they said they would continue to support it so there's a possibility for another sequel.
    it's more like in a coma than dead.
    Your right it is a coma, but HMX decided to pull the plug in two weeks.
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Why not both ?

I mean when they released RB3 they developed it for XBox, Wii, and PS3... and that's 3 completely very unrelated hardware/platforms.

(And later we saw they wrote iphone apps and facebook apps too)

They have the programmers who are well versed.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2013
    IF there is a RB4, it'll be so far down the road that the PS3 will no longer be a factor.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    by the time there's an RB4, it will probably be on PS5
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Look, it's pretty simple, really. IF there were a viable way for DLC to transfer to the new systems we MIGHT have seen a RB 4 on those systems. Maybe. However, everything seems to point to that not being the case (and I'll wager HMX absolutely possitively knows whether DLC will transfer or not; there isn't a developer out there that would want and need to know more than HMX would). Since this is the case, and since interest in peripheral music games has declined dramatically as well, making a new one for this current generation would be risky at best; but making a RB for the next gen -without the DLC library- would be simply foolish. It would be difficult to sell RB 4 without the DLC library to us die-hard fans let alone the more casual player that lost interest a long time ago. So, yeah, there won't be a RB 4.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited March 2013
    There won't be a Rock Band 4 because a) HMX has pretty much confirmed they're not working on any new RB game for this current gen so that rules out the PS3 right there and b) if DLC can't transfer from the PS3 to the PS4, making a RB4 for the PS4 would be pretty much pointless.

So no, there will never be an RB4 sadly.
  • edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5001991 said:
    i think it would be more beneficial to have the next real rockband game on current gen because all of those dlc downloads won't work on the ps4. no backwards compatibility.
    they'd have to either redo it to work with the new system or sony has to put backwards compatibility in their system. all i know is i wouldn't for those 500+ songs AGAIN
    Beneficial to the user, sure.

Profitable for the developer? That ship has sailed my friend.

Nothing wrong with a little dreaming... but let's be realistic.

The good news is that when the PS4 comes out, my PS3 is still jam packed with music and ready to rock.

I think as more info about emulation is revealed that many of the next gen launch announcements will get an "*" placed next to them.
    edited March 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5002032 said:
    Beneficial to the user, sure.

Profitable for the developer? That ship has sailed my friend.

Nothing wrong with a little dreaming... but let's be realistic.

The good news is that when the PS4 comes out, my PS3 is still jam packed with music and ready to rock.

I think as more info about emulation is revealed that many of the next gen launch announcements will get an "*" placed next to them.

if they make it really really really good with all the best songs more people will buy it right?
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5002107 said:
    if they make it really really really good with all the best songs more people will buy it right?

We get it - you don't like songs Rock Band has put out lately.
  • clarknovaclarknova Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    This reminds me of the times when people were still holding out for new Beatles DLC and the HMX guys never ruled it out for th longest time, but everyone knew it was dead.

No, there doesn't need to be an RB4. The popular music games have all gone mobile, kids. Put down the plastic and real instruments, and let your fingers do the tapping.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    clarknova;5002110 said:
    No, there doesn't need to be an RB4. The popular music games have all gone mobile, kids. Put down the plastic and real instruments, and let your fingers do the tapping.

I know that RB4 won't happen, but there's some things that HMX could add to RB. Support for any guitar/bass (let's be realistic, playing bass on the Mustang and on the Squier is awkward), bring back duel, and so much more. But it won't happen.

Also, if they DO make a new RB on PS4, Sony already confirmed that the DLC won't port over.
  • edited March 2013
    The decline of the music game genre is not a set-list issue.
  • snakebertsnakebert Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Harmonix managed to get the songs and DLC from RB1, RB2, and others into RB3 (with a few well known exceptions). If there were any widespread demand for RB4 I am sure that they could find a way to import many old songs and make DLC back catalogue available to the new game. What is really interesting is the songs purchased info that is estimated by rockbandscores. According to that list, Journey's Don't Stop Believin was the best selling DLC song at more than 200,000. Now a great song is lucky to break 20,000.

Also, what features would justify a new RB? Some folks are already using electronic drum kits and pro guitars. Where to go from there? They could fix bugs and add VS features and maybe more solo goals but there are at least 50 games worth of songs in the 4,000+ library already.

Is higher difficulty what is needed? I read in this forum that more than 50% of the folks that have ever gone online to be logged mostly play at medium or below.

Add kinect features to combine singing and dancing?

Considering where it started (5 button plastic guitar), I am very satisfied with the evolution. More would be better, but at the moment there is still a lot to play and more than I can afford at one time.

Had a great time, and hope to have many great times in the future, playing and listening to some great music.
    edited March 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5002120 said:
    The decline of the music game genre is not a set-list issue.

Yeah game genre popularity runs in cycles. It's like when arcades had a resurgence in popularity in the early '90s thanks to Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat, and everybody cranking out a fighting game left and right. I remember when the original Wolfenstein and Doom came out and there being the first round of FPS popularity, though now that genre is even bigger.

I had some DDR games for my PS2 and thought those were fun, and they had a nice run before this gen, and I absolutely loved Frequency and Amplitude. Honestly, I came to RB late because I had originally gotten tired of GH on the PS2 and was honestly surprised that this whole genre took off as well as it did. But when the Beatles band sets were being liquidated shortly before the release of RB3, that's when I joined.
    edited March 2013
    I don't know how DDR is fun on consoles, the dance mat they give with it is slippery on the floor, and you slip on it.
    edited March 2013
    Alternity;5002127 said:
    I don't know how DDR is fun on consoles, the dance mat they give with it is slippery on the floor, and you slip on it.

It took some finesse. :) Well, I enjoyed it, but yeah, the mats were a little slippery depending on what kind of surface you had them on. I recall some company making ones that were like the arcade style, raised and metallic or whatnot.
    edited March 2013
    Red Octane did good mats, but nothing beats the arcade one, nothing, especially for an expert player, or on DDR, ''heavy, challenging''. (went to ITG when ITG2 arcade was released in my city)
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, guess which ones I had? That's right...the Mad Catz ones.
    edited March 2013
    SmashMan;5002109 said:
    We get it - you don't like songs Rock Band has put out lately.
    that's not what i was implying. :|
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 2013
    clarknova;5002125 said:
    Yeah game genre popularity runs in cycles. It's like when arcades had a resurgence in popularity in the early '90s thanks to Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat, and everybody cranking out a fighting game left and right. I remember when the original Wolfenstein and Doom came out and there being the first round of FPS popularity, though now that genre is even bigger.

The only genre which will stay popular forever is FPS games. People won't get fed up even after CoD 55 and Halo 10 as it's the only genre of which the "do the real thing" isn't a valid argument for haters (e.g. music games have been plagued by the "learn to play the real guitar" comment throughout its lifespan).
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2013

Nope, because people would rather shoot Nazi zombies than chill to some cool tunes. That's how life is.
    edited March 2013
    LiveHomeVideo;5002175 said:
    Nope, because people would rather shoot Nazi zombies than chill to some cool tunes. That's how life is.
    do both
    edited March 2013
    grumblevolcano;5002154 said:
    The only genre which will stay popular forever is FPS games. People won't get fed up even after CoD 55 and Halo 10 as it's the only genre of which the "do the real thing" isn't a valid argument for haters (e.g. music games have been plagued by the "learn to play the real guitar" comment throughout its lifespan).

Oh you'd be surprised how quickly people can get sick of something. Call of duty will falter like everything else eventually.
    edited March 2013
    what's with all the hate towards a video game? why can't you guys just let people enjoy their game and you enjoy yours...
    edited March 2013
    I'm not hating on it. Just stating an eventuality based on everything that gets mega popular and eventually isn't.

Play it till your thumbs bleed, I have nothing against it.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5002183 said:
    do both

Most people don't want Rock Band, though, is the thing. They'd rather play whatever they play, and that's fine. But it only means that the setlist isn't that big a factor anymore. Even if it had the greatest songs ever recorded, it probably would not sell because everyone cares more about the next shooter or action game.

What I'm saying is RB4 isn't going to be happening for at least a while.
    illmissrockband;5002188 said:
    what's with all the hate towards a video game? why can't you guys just let people enjoy their game and you enjoy yours...
    I know TAG wasn't hating on CoD, but let me explain the hate in terms hopefully you understand (this time).

One person's fun and engaging online gameplay is another person's repetitive as s*** and annoying. Most of the regulars on this board seem to lean towards the latter. A lot of people find that game to be overrated due to it's relatively short campaign length (my brother completed MW2's in four hours), horrible online community mostly built of screaming racist 12-year-olds and repetitive online gameplay.
    edited March 2013
    ThatAuthoringGroup;5002189 said:
    I'm not hating on it. Just stating an eventuality based on everything that gets mega popular and eventually isn't.

Play it till your thumbs bleed, I have nothing against it.
    well shooting games have been around forever i don't think they're going to die soon.
    like madden or fifa.
    edited March 2013
    LiveHomeVideo;5002191 said:
    Most people don't want Rock Band, though, is the thing. They'd rather play whatever they play, and that's fine. But it only means that the setlist isn't that big a factor anymore. Even if it had the greatest songs ever recorded, it probably would not sell because everyone cares more about the next shooter or action game.

What I'm saying is RB4 isn't going to be happening for at least a while.

I know TAG wasn't hating on CoD, but let me explain the hate in terms hopefully you understand (this time).

One person's fun and engaging online gameplay is another person's repetitive as s*** and annoying. Most of the regulars on this board seem to lean towards the latter. A lot of people find that game to be overrated due to it's relatively short campaign length (my brother completed MW2's in four hours), horrible online community mostly built of screaming racist 12-year-olds and repetitive online gameplay.

yeah but if you don't like something isn't it better to enjoy what you DO like rather than complain about the things you don't?