Rick Rolled in Rock Band

cool4catscool4cats Unsigned
edited June 2013 in Rock Band
Somehow ''Never Gonna Give You Up'' by Rick Astley is in Rock Band DLC. Do you think it was a good idea to put him in Rock Band?

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Oh, for sure. I only regret I was unable to slip it into a playlist without my bandmates seeing it when it first came out. Sloppy planning on my part, that would have been funny.

Fun song either way, at least on vocals. It's been requested almost half the times that I've gotten people together to play.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    This might have been a good discussion point if you had brought it up in the same year the song even came out.

Or you know, it was discussed in the discussion thread for the week it came out.

It's a crappy song, but it's not the first crappy song ever relased.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    peterock2007;5002563 said:
    This might have been a good discussion point if you had brought it up in the same year the song even came out.

Or you know, it was discussed in the discussion thread for the week it came out.

All of these are good pieces of advice.
  • grace_pressuregrace_pressure Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    I think it was literally the most or second-most requested song of all time.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    It's fun, as long as you don't play the guitar part.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    i think the song absolutely belongs in Rock Band.

this thread, on the other hand...
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited March 2013
    I think it's a hoot that it is in Rock Band. I have noticed that it gets everyone laughing and elevates the mood when I have managed to slip it in a list at a friends house. Never been able to pull it off at home.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    Great party song, fun charts, meme status, yeah it's all kinds of awesome to have. But why ask about it right now? =P
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    During my rock band parties my friends normally don't pay attention when it's not their turn to pick a song, so I made it look like I was heading for "Rush" when I really stopped at "Rick Astley". It was great since I claimed I picked 2112 (the singer didn't really want to sing it).

Fun times. I just wish I could rename it to Stairway to Heaven :P
  • edited March 2013
    Fun drums, fun keys, fun to sing. I don't see the problem. There are plenty of songs that are less fun.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2013
    It's a little funny that the guy who creates a thread about one of the most controversial songs in the game is named after one of the other most controversial songs in the game.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    FujiSkunk;5002597 said:
    It's a little funny that the guy who creates a thread about one of the most controversial songs in the game is named after one of the other most controversial songs in the game.

Wait, how is Cool For Cats controversial?
  • WIIBARONWIIBARON Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    It turned out to be the best selling DLC of 2012 so that is the only answer required...
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    grace_pressure;5002565 said:
    I think it was literally the most or second-most requested song of all time.

Only because people spammed the song request feature with it, mistakenly believing it was funny to do so.

When Never Gonna Give You Up was announced, I changed my PSN comment (21 characters max, hence no spaces) to "NeverGonnaBuyThatSong." I have not changed my stance on the issue.
  • Goipper_of_GoitGoipper_of_Goit Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    I don't have the song but would have thought it would be fun if you had people who did harmony vocals.

On a separate topic - why don't more people join in with harmony vocals? Harmony vocals are amazing (even if you inevitably sound horrible). How does anyone go about persuading casual players, the same people who will join in with every song at a karaoke night, to try harmonies (as opposed to just singing along with the main part)?
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2013
    cool4cats;5002545 said:
    Somehow ''Never Gonna Give You Up'' by Rick Astley is in Rock Band DLC. Do you think it was a good idea to put him in Rock Band?
    No. I think it was a horrible idea to add the most requested song of all time to the Rock Band DLC library.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2013
    NightmareLyre;5002623 said:
    Wait, how is Cool For Cats controversial?

There have been lots of mumbling about how it's one of the worst songs of the RB2 setlist. Personally it's one of my favorites.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    FujiSkunk;5002961 said:
    There have been lots of mumbling about how it's one of the worst songs of the RB2 setlist. Personally it's one of my favorites.

Really? I hardly saw any complaints about the song. Must have missed those threads.

In my eyes, "Visions" has always been the controversial RB2 darling.

On topic: Is this were I drop the obligatory "tastes, preferences, subjective" yadda yadda yadda?
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Absolutely, why else would it not make for a good Valentine song?

As for "Cool for Cats", if there wasn't a drum solo in it, it would have been blown off big time in favor of the band being DLC-only.
    edited March 2013
    T-Hybrid;5002927 said:
    No. I think it was a horrible idea to add the most requested song of all time to the Rock Band DLC library.

So do I, because lots of the people who requested it didn't actually want to buy it or play it.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited March 2013
    I bought it. Of course, I never got the idea of a "Rick Roll".

Astly is a good musician with several hits.
  • KyleJCrbKyleJCrb Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    I bought it. I'd buy it again just to make up for Numskull not buying it.
    edited March 2013
    KyleJCrb;5003943 said:
    I bought it. I'd buy it again just to make up for Numskull not buying it.

Hey, it's not my place to prevent people from throwing their money away.
  • Goipper_of_GoitGoipper_of_Goit Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Thanks to the OP's recommendation I bought the song and made Rick that bit richer. It's a bit tough on keys due to the four note chords of evil, but it would be fun if you were good enough. I like the surprisingly funky bass line - pity there's no pro part for it.

I've not even sung it yet and already feel like I've had 2 dollars' worth of fun (at current exchange rates)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2013
    cool4cats;5002545 said:

Yes. Also, welcome to February 2012.

Okay, I'm done here.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I can't say I understand why anyone would suggest that ANY song could be a "bad idea" to have in RB, let alone what was the #1 requested song at the time. You know, it's not like Rick Astley wrote and recorded the song with the intent that it would become an internet meme. It's a piece of music and that's what RB is about. This post, however, would have made at least some kind of sense (maybe) if the song had been released somewhat more recently.
    edited March 2013
    Numskull;5003890 said:
    So do I, because lots of the people who requested it didn't actually want to buy it or play it.

and then there were lots of people who DID want to buy it, since apparently it was one of the best-selling DLC tracks of last year.
    edited March 2013
    tnevaker;5004280 said:
    and then there were lots of people who DID want to buy it, since apparently it was one of the best-selling DLC tracks of last year.

But how many of those people were among those who stuffed the ballot box on its behalf? We have no way of knowing.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here. I hate the song, but I can coexist with people who don't. I'm just pointing out a mistake that people keep making. The most requested song is not necessarily the song that the most people actually wanted to play.
    edited March 2013
    Numskull;5004326 said:
    But how many of those people were among those who stuffed the ballot box on its behalf? We have no way of knowing.[/I]
    does it matter? i don't think it matters to HMX. they knew the song would sell well, and it did sell well. that's why they released it.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Numskull;5004326 said:
    But how many of those people were among those who stuffed the ballot box on its behalf? We have no way of knowing.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here. I hate the song, but I can coexist with people who don't. I'm just pointing out a mistake that people keep making. The most requested song is not necessarily the song that the most people actually wanted to play.

Certainly not meaning to argue with you, however I think that you are actually mistaken by saying others are making a mistake. The reason for it being the #1 requested song doesn't alter the reality that it was. Personally I would agree that it is highly doubtful that it was the song the most people REALLY wanted. At least I certainly hope not. I think the song is horrible.