DLC that was released Just. For. You.

queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
edited March 2013 in Rock Band
Okay, so DLC is almost done and a general aura of malaise hangs over the Rock Band Forums. Here's a thread where you can reflect on happier times.

Use this thread to talk about DLC releases (or possibly songs included on disc) where Harmonix seemed to release it just for you!

I'm not talking about being grateful that Harmonix put out Linkin Park or similarly huge bands. I'm asking you to think back to a time that Harmonix shocked you by releasing DLC that you figured you and maybe 10 other people would actually care about. Bands that you thought were too obscure to see an official DLC release, or perhaps it was a major artist, but it was an obscure deep track that you love and thought would never see release.

For me, the first song that comes to mind is "Can't Let Go" by Lucinda Williams. Now granted, she's not super-obscure, but she is certainly not the first artist you think of when you hear "Rock Band" and certainly not a country artist that I would have thought would be among the very first (2nd country pack) to be included in the game.

"Let Forever Be" by the Chemical Brothers was another weird favorite of mine -- it's not even in the top 5 most popular Chemical Brothers songs listed on last.fm (it is 6th, currently), but is by far my favorite of theirs.

Also, "Geraldine" by Glasvegas. That was kind of out of nowhere, and totally appreciated.

Finally, when they announced that War's "Spill the Wine" was coming out, I nearly soiled myself in excitement. I'm pretty certain that virtually no one was lobbying for War/Eric Burden's weirdly surreal Latin/Funk/Spoken Word whatever-it-is, but it sure made my day.

Comments

• GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Definitely Roadrunner Pack 02, Bullet for My Valentine Pack 01, Rage Against the Machine Pack 01, and anything Red Hot Chili Peppers always made me happier than buying a new game.

For obscure: The Material song from the MTV2 pack was a very nice surprise that got a lot of plays from me, also the Crooked X singles were great too. Gone is a personal favorite of mine to play as a Guitarist.
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
  • Skynyrd45Skynyrd45 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    Teen Angst by Cracker. I always thought if they released a song by Cracker it would be Low, which I would had preferred, but I was just happy to get a song by them in the game. Oh, and it has a pro upgrade, which just put the cherry on top.

2nd would be I Heard it Through the Grapevine. I remember seeing that announcement, and bracing myself for disappointment that it would be the short radio edit. When I found it was the full length track, I literally yelled in excitement. My personal favorite song of all time (love that solo!).
  • generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    Getting the two Mutemath songs is the best unknown surprise I can remember. That album is possibly my favorite album of all time by any band, but not too many people have heard it that I've spoken to
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Alternity;5002689 said:
    He did say something obscure and surprising. As much as I am happy with Rush, this does not fit in this thread.

I keep forgetting how popular Rush is. Everyone I know either asked if I was talking about Big Time Rush or Rush Limbaugh when I first became a fan of the band.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited March 2013
    Any track by Foreigner
    Bon Jovi pack
    John Lennon's Imagine
    Paul McCartney pack
    "Do You Feel Like We Do" - Peter Frampton
    "On The Backs Of Angels" - Dream Theater
    "I Ran" - A Flock Of Seagulls
    Elton John pack
    "More Than Words" - Extreme
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I know I praise this pack constantly on these boards, but I was pretty hyped for The Fratellis pack. Seriously one of my favorite albums.

Recently, I was really excited to get "Come on Eileen" by Save Ferris; then I downloaded it and saw how crazy hard it was on guitar. I think I've played it like twice.

Also, way back when Rock Band 1 came out, my friends were talking about songs we wish were up for DLC; one that kept popping up was "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit. I was pretty excited to see it on the RB2 setlist when that got announced.
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Probably This Charming Man by The Smiths. It seemed as though my heart skipped a beat when I saw that the Smiths were making their debut. For the first time, I had played a song several times in a row. Then to know that bands like The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen and Tears for Fears were on the horizon was more than satisfying. It was nice to see HMX throwing the post-punk fans a few their way after waiting so long.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    The two Sonic Youth tracks (especially Teen Age Riot) were big surprises for me, from my two favorite albums by them too!

The Replacements tracks, in particular Alex Chilton had me giddy with joy, if only we had Tim full album DLC.

Dino Jr have three of my favorite tracks in the game.

Doolittle is still the best full album in the game, bar none.

The X pack was at a point when this game lacked some REAL punk, and it definitely delivered.

Lush provided some much needed shoegaze in here, a shame no other bands followed suit.

Mission of Burma was probably my favorite surprise though. Love these guys, and all three tracks were a blast on everything, plus I never would've thought they would have been on here in a million years.
  • pureebil333pureebil333 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    HIM pack and Killing Loneliness on RB3 was great. I wish we got more from them.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    Coldplay. If I remember correctly, it was right on the week of my birthday, and Rock Band 3 was released on my birthmonth, too.
  • SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    The pack I most felt was "just for me" was the Killswitch Engage pack. I had figured that since we got "My Curse" as a single somewhat early on that would be all we'd see. But, I posted about the band more than a few times, and requested a small number (probably only four) of their songs on the request page. We the announcement came, I was in shock, as most of the forum was usually negative about any mention of the band, and now we have four of their hits in game.

The other, which was not so much a surprise to me (considering we already had three of their songs in game), but still felt like HMX was catering to my wishlist was the Fall Out Boy pack. Another case of me thinking we'd received all we'd ever get from them, but later getting almost all of their other singles in a pack (+1 in Blitz).
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Rush's Moving Pictures album would've sealed it for me if you asked me this question a couple years ago.

But then, in a span of a month, we had Rush's The Spirit of Radio, Fly By Night, Caravan, AND 2112! That was the pack made just for me.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Some people really didn't get the ''obscure'' part of the OP.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Skittles;5002733 said:
    Probably This Charming Man by The Smiths. It seemed as though my heart skipped a beat when I saw that the Smiths were making their debut. For the first time, I had played a song several times in a row. Then to know that bands like The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen and Tears for Fears were on the horizon was more than satisfying. It was nice to see HMX throwing the post-punk fans a few their way after waiting so long.
    I thought we'd get way more New Wave stuff post-RB3 since we have keys now; but it just didn't pan out (except for Tears for Fears...still wish we had Mad World, though).

Also, the RB3 pre-order DLC was pretty cool for me since I'm a big Talking Heads and New Order fan (don't really care for Deftones, so that was kind of a bonus).

I think the most excited I ever got for a DLC announcement was the London Calling album DLC, but that's hardly obscure haha.
  • Logan812Logan812 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
  • FusedRageFusedRage Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Considering that most kids who play this game don't know about old music, I'd say this year's Valentine's day pack. Or Nov 9th, Nov 20th or Nov 27th last year. All songs that I'd never thought I'd see in the game and I really liked.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Alternity;5002804 said:
    Some people really didn't get the ''obscure'' part of the OP.

"Obscure" is far too limiting though. There are a few releases that would fit for me that aren't "obscure".
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Well then it wouldn't fit, since the OP said what was released ''just for you'' that maybe 10-20 people wanted. (of course, I don't think there's even a single that was bought by this small ammount that was released by HMX, but you get the idea).

I saw someone mentionning Bon Jovi, and I don't think that that would fall into the ''obscure'' cathegory, along with some others I saw.
  • WIIBARONWIIBARON Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    Back when GH:WT was announced with their music studio song maker I made a list of about 10 songs I was going to 'make'. Then I saw how hard it was to do and gave up after a couple of days...Well since then 2 [Just Like Heaven, Need you Tonight] came out on RB3 disc, Mr. Cab Driver and Radio Free Europe were DLC AND although I wanted Lips LIke Sugar, Killing Moon was on disc. I would still like to have The Cars' Let's Go and You Are the Girl from that list. Maybe I should revisit the GH:5 studio and try again!
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    Crown of Thorns - Rock Ready

Never found anyone else that seemed to like or have that piece of DLC.

And to some extent Ace Frehley - Outer Space, but arguably he's a bit more famous after playing in that other band, with the costumes and fireworks, you know...
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    Alternity;5002828 said:
    Well then it wouldn't fit, since the OP said what was released ''just for you'' that maybe 10-20 people wanted. (of course, I don't think there's even a single that was bought by this small ammount that was released by HMX, but you get the idea).

I saw someone mentionning Bon Jovi, and I don't think that that would fall into the ''obscure'' cathegory, along with some others I saw.

Yes, the "10-20 people" bit was hyperbole for effect. But as you pointed out, the point of this thread is to note any DLC that not only suits your tastes, but relatively few others enjoyed.

That said, I'm not fussed if people want to post big name DLC that feels like it was released "just for them." It would be nice though, if they could also try to come up with a smaller release they dug as well.
    hakko504;5002844 said:
    Crown of Thorns - Rock Ready

Never found anyone else that seemed to like or have that piece of DLC.

And to some extent Ace Frehley - Outer Space, but arguably he's a bit more famous after playing in that other band, with the costumes and fireworks, you know...

I'd say those both definitely qualify. I'd wager very few people know Ace Frehley had a solo career of note.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited March 2013
    absolutely nothing, and i very much doubt the last pack will change that.
  • RuseBalaxinRuseBalaxin Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    In terms of on disc content I was really happy to see "Imagine."
    That's one song that I never would have expected in a million years
    since it has no guitar part and very limited bass and drums.

To date the most-played song on my list is "Everybody Wants To Rule
    the World" which was a true gift from Harmonix as was the Stevie Nicks DLC.
    I can't count the number of times I have started up my Rock Band session
    with "Dreams" at the helm. My band-mate and best friend would also
    like to express his appreciation for the awesome Ozzy Osbourne 8-pack released later that year.

I realize none of these bands fit the criteria the OP was going for
    but they are songs I felt were included in the game just to make my
    Rock Band experience more complete. :)
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2013
    July 21st, 2009.

Kings of Leon. Rancid. Rise Against. Three packs. Three of my favorite bands. One day.

Didn't think I'd ever see any of those bands get a pack (Well, Rise Against was going to get there eventually :p). One of my favorite weeks ever. *sniff*
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2013
    No lie i was the only one i know from the forums who ever had Eels as a band on the old profile base wishlists. Somebody saw that i was around the forums posting far too damned much back in the day from HMX and ended up snooping at who i requested. Saturday Morning was licensed just for me - im convinced of it :cool:
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Lush's sweetness and light was probably the biggest "this song is for me, and me alone" song ever. I remember when it was announced.
    Also so was science genius girl from the freezepop pack. While freezepop themselves have tons of hmx history, the track itself came out of nowhere and was the 1st freezepop song I ever heard before I played guitar hero 1 and 2.
    And while a huge band, I can't help but mention the nothings shocking full album from Janes addiction... From the outside, they're known for their singles, not their complete works or deep cuts, and they're my favorite band. Having pigs in zen and Ted just admit it was beyond amazing. Sadly I'll never get three days off ritual delo habitual though.
    Rooftops by the lost profits off of Lego rb was also a huge song to have. I was floored when I saw that it was part of gh4s set list and didn't think that the song was nearly big enough to be in one of these games, and was incredibly excited when it made its way over to rock band a year later in Lego.
    Also, gay bar. Oh man that was probably the best surprise ever, soley based on an in joke between me and a friend of mine.
    Also in the same lines with what I said with Janes addiction, there are also some huge artists, but have some songs that were by no means their huge hits that expected to get in the game, and was super happy when we got them, such as blink 182s aliens exist, Blue sky by the Allman brothers band, rime by iron Maiden, March of pigs by Nin, and nib by sabbath
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2013
    Bobman32x;5002861 said:
    ...there are also some huge artists, but have some songs that were by no means their huge hits that expected to get in the game, and was super happy when we got them, such as blink 182s aliens exist, Blue sky by the Allman brothers band, rime by iron Maiden, March of pigs by Nin, and nib by sabbath

Nailed it. That's one of the most beautiful part of HMX's DLC approach. Love them deep cuts, including just about all the ones you mentioned.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    Disc Song - "Hey Man Nice Shot". Fun pro bass chart, and the incident that inspired the song happened just down the road from here. I know a guy who was in the room videotaping it.

DLC - "Turning Japanese". Again, fun pro bass chart, and has one of my favorite lyrics. "I want a doctor to take your picture so I can look at you from inside as well". Couldn't believe how lucky I was to get a pro chart for this song.

The RB3 disc has a bunch of songs that aren't as obscure that seemed picked for me. Someone who was part of the selection process must be about my age and have an ear for the same kind of song as me. I've very rarely had a song that I just couldn't stand, and none of the disc songs from either RB2 or 3 hit me that way, though I'm a bit of a musical slut which makes me easy to please!
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    obvious band....Iron maiden
    more obscure band....Night Ranger , wolfmother