why does everyone think american pie is a good last song

illmissrockbandillmissrockband Opening Act
edited March 2013 in Rock Band
that song sounds so depressing and we should be thinking of the happy times with rockband and hopeful of it's return. the way i see it the rockband series is like the superman movies. 1 and 2 were good 3 and 4(blitz) not as much and now we wait for the highly hyped up yet again disappointing rockband returns...AND THEN a rockband man of steel with gritty visuals and a great storytelling experience. :)

Comments

• firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited March 2013
    how was Rock Band 3 not as good as 1 or 2?

also American Pie is a good song so it is a good final song for me
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    For me a good last song would've been something epic. American Pie isn't epic. Tarkus would've been, or some Rhapsody (of Fire) would've been. But yeah, my dreams never happens on RB.
  • illmissrockbandillmissrockband Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    Alternity;5003321 said:
    For me a good last song would've been something epic. American Pie isn't epic. Tarkus would've been, or some Rhapsody (of Fire) would've been. But yeah, my dreams never happens on RB.
    i never heard of those songs lol
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    It's a good song, with some disturbingly accurate lyrics. The first paragraph of the song is essentially the story of Rock Band... it's weird. And I'm looking forward to playing it!
    edited March 2013
    firedoom666;5003310 said:
    how was Rock Band 3 not as good as 1 or 2?

also American Pie is a good song so it is a good final song for me

i find both the song and rock band 3 boring.
    rockband 2 had more replay value imo. better campaign mode and character customization and highways.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    As long as the lyrics doesn't get butchered to "The good ol' boys, drinking **** and *** singing this will be the day that I [HAMBURGER TIME]" this will be a good way to go out.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    "This will be the day that I die."
    Where "I" is Rock Band.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    NightmareLyre;5003331 said:
    As long as the lyrics doesn't get butchered to "The good ol' boys, drinking **** and *** singing this will be the day that I [HAMBURGER TIME]" this will be a good way to go out.

Confirmed in the Livestream last night. It's not censored
    edited March 2013
    StackOverflow0x;5003333 said:
    "This will be the day that I die."
    Where "I" is Rock Band.
    case in point: depressing.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5003323 said:
    i never heard of those songs lol

Tarkus, is an old song from Emerson, Lake and Palmer, IIRC it was made in 71.

Rhapsody (of Fire) is a pretty epic Power Metal band.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited March 2013
    I don't think it's depressing. Besides, the community is having a giant hootenanny the weekend after it comes out. April 6th everyone!
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5003338 said:
    case in point: depressing.
    Depressing songs are the best songs. The first two acts of Octavarium, Hurt, Love Will Tear us Apart, etc.
    edited March 2013
    NightmareLyre;5003352 said:
    Depressing songs are the best songs. The first two acts of Octavarium, Hurt, Love Will Tear us Apart, etc.

that's not why they are "good".
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    I can't believe the amount of different ways you've come up with to say you don't like the music that's come to Rock Band.

It's amazing, it really is.
  • Edfan1337Edfan1337 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    Since this thread is a little saddening, I thought I'd spice it up:
    illmissrockband;5003306 said:
    AND THEN a rockband man of steel with gritty visuals and a great storytelling experience. :)
    I can see it now.

------------------------------------------

ROCK BAND: MAN OF STEEL

Rock is dead, but you, a REAL MAN, are not! Rock Band: Man of Steel features over 90 tracks from some of the MANLIEST and STEELIEST bands of all time. And by "MANLIEST and STEELIEST bands of all time" we mean pretty much all the songs ever played in professional wrestling and Motorhead. With gritty visuals of a post-apocalyptic world of bloody anarchy, RB:MoS features dirty scenery as you rock out on a corrupted world with your trusty axe and your REAL MAN courage.

Features:
    *58 more variants of facial hair, as well as facial hair options for female characters so they can look more like REAL MEN
    *Guest characters Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, Scott Ian, Bruce Lee, Saxton Hale, and the lineups of ZZ Top and Motorhead to show you what REAL MEN look like.
    *New double-necked guitars, because REAL MEN can play with two goddamn fretboards
    *An gritty, riveting story on the journey of a REAL MAN rock band's attempt to rescue rock from the most defiant, controlling masterminds: HIPPIES.
    *Comes with a treadmill and 80 lb. dumbbells, so you can become a REAL MAN in REAL LIFE.
    *PUMPING WITH TESTOSTERONE.

Rated M for Manly

*Warning: May cause testosterone poisoning. Consult doctor before use. Do not take if you are pregnant or may become pregnant. Symptoms include becoming ripped, taking up wrestling, chest hair growth, and appearances of badass beards.

Obviously, since they're planning something for the future, this is going to be Harmonix's fool-proof bounce back for the Rock Band franchise. Mark my words.
    edited March 2013
    SmashMan;5003358 said:
    I can't believe the amount of different ways you've come up with to say you don't like the music that's come to Rock Band.

It's amazing, it really is.
    i didn't even say that and even if i did why would you care if i don't like some songs?
    edited March 2013
    Edfan1337;5003362 said:

I can see it now.

ROCK BAND: MAN OF STEEL

Rock is dead, but you, a REAL MAN, are not! Rock Band: Man of Steel features over 90 tracks from some of the MANLIEST and STEELIEST bands of all time. And by "MANLIEST and STEELIEST bands of all time" we mean pretty much all the songs ever played in professional wrestling and Motorhead. With gritty visuals of a post-apocalyptic world of bloody anarchy, RB:MoS features dirty scenery as you rock out on a corrupted world with your trusty axe and your REAL MAN courage.

Features:
    *58 more variants of facial hair, as well as facial hair options for female characters so they can look more like REAL MEN
    *Guest characters Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, Bruce Lee, Saxton Hale, and the entire Motorhead lineup to show you what REAL MEN look like.
    *New double-necked guitars, because REAL MEN can play with two goddamn fretboards
    *An gritty, riveting story on the journey of a REAL MAN rock band's attempt to rescue rock from the most defiant, controlling masterminds: HIPPIES.
    *Comes with a treadmill and 80 lb. dumbbells, so you can become a REAL MAN in REAL LIFE.
    *PUMPING WITH TESTOSTERONE.

Rated M for Manly

*Warning: May cause testosterone poisoning. Consult doctor before use. Do not take if you are pregnant or may become pregnant. Symptoms include becoming ripped, taking up wrestling, chest hair growth, and appearances of badass beards.

Obviously, since they're planning something for the future, this is going to be Harmonix's fool-proof bounce back for the Rock Band franchise. Mark my words.

was this copypasted?
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Two pages of posts and no one has brought up how American Pie is about The Day The Music Died (i.e. The Day the Music Died = DLC ending)?

Reasons why it's good DLC:
    -One of the biggest classic rock hits of all time. Period.
    -Features all instruments and 3 part harmonies
    -It's full of references to rock legends tons of rock legends (Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Big Bopper, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Byrds, The Rolling Stones
    -It's an amazing party song (really wish I had this back when I did RB parties in college)

Anyone that thought the final song would be some "XxOMG SO EPICxX" metal/prog anthem no one's ever heard of is delusional. I'm just relieved it's not Closing Time.
    edited March 2013
    Edfan1337;5003362 said:

I can see it now.

(snip)

You sir made me laugh out loud, well played
    edited March 2013
    tdc002;5003365 said:
    Two pages of posts and no one has brought up how American Pie is about The Day The Music Died (i.e. The Day the Music Died = DLC ending)?

Reasons why it's good DLC:
    -One of the biggest classic rock hits of all time. Period.
    -Features all instruments and 3 part harmonies
    -It's full of references to rock legends tons of rock legends (Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Big Bopper, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Byrds, The Rolling Stones
    -It's an amazing party song (really wish I had this back when I did RB parties in college)

Anyone that thought the final song would be some "XxOMG SO EPICxX" metal/prog anthem no one's ever heard of is delusional. I'm just relieved it's not Closing Time.

weekly dlc is ending for now but it might come back.
    i hope they release something else too
  • cool4catscool4cats Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    They should have the Wierd Al version of American Pie "The Saga Begins", I think.
    edited March 2013
    is there even a good guitar solo in that song? i can't remember the last time i saw a chart with a fun solo.
  • edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5003374 said:
    is there even a good guitar solo in that song? i can't remember the last time i saw a chart with a fun solo.

I didn't try them on guitar yet but I've heard good things about both Rosanna and Weird Science's guitar charts.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited March 2013
    Edfan1337;5003362 said:

Features:
    *58 more variants of facial hair[SIZE]

well you sold me on it
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5003328 said:
    i find both the song and rock band 3 boring.
    rockband 2 had more replay value imo. better campaign mode and character customization and highways.
    I only bought RB2 recently, so maybe I'm missing something. But compared to RB3 I find the customization (if you can even call it that) not even close to RB3.

Unless you have to unlock noses or something.

I could spend hours making faces alone in RB3. Is there anything analogous to that in RB2? Perhaps after you unlock things?

Also, I enjoy that the character I created for myself can play all the instruments in RB3.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    MUST BUY ROCK BAND MAN OF STEEL!!! Couple questions first.

can Scott Ian be a playable characther? We don't need the music of Anthrax in it, just Scott.

and ZZ Top is very nessecairy.

MagicMurderBag7;5003376 said:
    I didn't try them on guitar yet but I've heard good things about both Rosanna and Weird Science's guitar charts.

Haven't gotten Rosanna yet, but Weird Science is great on guitar! Has a couple solid solos in it.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    American Pie is incredibly appropriate both lyrically and in tone. I don't concider it out right depressing as some do (a good part of the song is -musically speaking- upbeat). I concider it more somber and reflective. Some may concider that depressing in itself, but I don't. And there can be no arguing the fact that it is a BIG, recognized and a full on iconic song. It's pretty much so fitting that it was absolutely predictable. It was the song that I thought of the second it was announced there would even be a final song. I know the same thought was shared by many. Which is why I had hoped for something else. I wanted HMX to shock and awe us, or at least surprise us, by ending with something less blatantly obvious. But as I said in the announcement thread, this takes nothing away from the song; it's still a fantastic song for the RB library, and a long over due one at that. Forgot to mention American Pie was already in "that other band game series" as well. I know a lot of people either don't know that or don't care. I was simply hoping for final song that was all RB and no repeate for those who've played it before. I was being unrealistic, I now realize. So, yeah, a great choice for the final song. Just a boringly unsurprising one to me.
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5003374 said:

You don't buy a lot of RBN tracks do you?
    edited March 2013
    NightmareLyre;5003438 said:
    You don't buy a lot of RBN tracks do you?
    nope. not a fan of screamo metal
  • Andy_FrenchAndy_French Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5003439 said:
    nope. not a fan of screamo metal
    Well, that's it. We can shut this thread down now.
This discussion has been closed.