What IF servers ever are shut down?

LoozinitLoozinit Opening Act
edited March 2013 in Rock Band
I only ask because all DLC i have doesn't work if i'm not connected to XBL, it says song not found or something along those lines.
Having 1500+ songs this is a pretty big investment, and i'd hate to lose access to it overnight.
If anyone has any solutions to this "what if" scenario? feel free...

thx HMX for a great ride, hopefully it's just a rest.

Comments

• IAmMurlocIAmMurloc Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    well, the first thing you need to understand is that your songs are bought from Microsoft, not Harmonix, and Microsoft authorizes your downloads. so, as long as you're connected to Xbox Live, you should have no problem. when Harmonix pulls the plug on the servers (regardless of what they will say here, they WILL pull the plug), you should still have no problem with the DLC. even when you can no longer access the music store in-game, there's always www.xbox.com to send downloads to your xbox.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure if this pertains to your situation, Loozinit, but it sounds like you need to transfer your XBox DLC licenses to your current XBox. You can search online or go here for more info.

After doing this, you should be able to play your DLC (not just Rock Band DLC but whatever else) without having to be connected to XBox Live at all.
  • illmissrockbandillmissrockband Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    if the servers go down your songs will still play. they'd have to physically remove the data off your harddrive or make you download a patch in order to keep you from playing them.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    illmissrockband;5003634 said:
    if the servers go down your songs will still play. they'd have to physically remove the data off your harddrive or make you download a patch in order to keep you from playing them.

Not necessarily. It's not Harmonix servers that can cause this, it's xbox live. Right now xbox live is preventing him from playing his songs because they are registered to his xbox live account but not his current xbox so unless he is online and logged into his xbox live account, he cannot play his songs.

This means, he's either switched his xbox since the purchases or made the purchases on a different xbox, so as of now all his songs are registered to another xbox. Wherever that xbox is, it can play the DLC without needing to be connected to xbox live.

So it's not Harmonix servers that have a say on this, it's the xbox live servers. And those are likely going to last a really long time way after RB3's demise. follow the directions of the other poster to switch the DLC licenses to your current xbox and that way NOTHING can prevent you from playing the songs. You don't have to connect to xbox live. You don't even have to use your account.
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Rock Band servers shutting down: online leaderboards would likely be lost, no more recommended setlists.

Microsoft servers shut down: no more re-downloading capability, but everything on your hard drive will work so long as you are using your gamertag and/OR the original xbox the songs were downloaded on.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Well, we don't have to worry about that on PS3 or wii. We can play the songs while being offline.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Alternity;5003929 said:
    Well, we don't have to worry about that on PS3 or wii. We can play the songs while being offline.

You can play songs whilst being offline with xbox. The OP has an issue because he is using a different console to the one he downloaded the songs on. As already stated, the OP can do a license transfer to the new xbox (A little annoying because he will need to re-download all the DLC) and then his offline playing problem will go away.

The time to worry is when microsoft/sony/nintendo decide to stop you from re-downloading DLC, because if your hardware goes bye-bye then you have no way to access that content again.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    This is why I've backed up all my Wii DLC to my computer's hard drive. Currently 435 DLC songs at 8.30Gb

It's also possible to back up Xbox DLC to a flash drive. As of now, I think 32 Gb is the maximum memory it will support. Sufficient to back up all your RB3 songs, unless you're one of those nuts who downloads everything then you'll need maybe two or three flash drives.

Only real problem i have is that the DLC is compatible between consoles for the Xbox. This isn't the case for Wii... sadly.
  • LoozinitLoozinit Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    thanks everyone, i will try the licensing thing.....I have upgraded HD a few times and transferred info.