The Final Prediction Thread: Predict the Future of Rock Band

CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
edited April 2013 in Rock Band
Well, I thought that with the announcement that Don McLean's American Pie will be the last song released in this era of Rock Band DLC, that it would mean that there would be no more prediction threads.

But, I thought for the heck of it, we'd do one more. And the question is simple? What is the future for Rock Band, or Harmonix? What's your prediction for the future?

Comments

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 2013
    I predict that one of the new secret projects is a military shooter like Call of Duty/Medal of Honor which will go on to sell insanely well of which HMX uses the profits to make the game everyone's been waiting for...

Muse: Rock Band
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited March 2013
  • Weeksy77Weeksy77 Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    I do hope one day that they'll be able to release "RB1" & "RB2" as download packs for the PS3 - I know HMX talked about it a long time ago, and it's probably very doubtful that it will ever happen now - but I can dream...
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    I predict there will be at least one more release of DLC prior to August 1st. Probably a GH exclusive band. And at least a 6 pack (probably more).
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    i predict that we PS3 users will finally get Great Balls of Fire and DftD's Ordinary Objects from the RBN.

and if we don't, i predict that i will get angry. and HMX wouldn't like me when i'm angry.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2013
    Rock Band will be featured on VH1's "I Love the 00s."
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I predict that we will see a Metallica pack once they are contractually able to do so. And I don't think they'll skimp on it. I'm thinking a 12 pack at the $19.99 price point. Metallica, love em or hate em, is one of the few bands that will move the needle with both the faithful hard core rock band addicts and the general public alike.

I predict that we'll see the franchise start up again on the new xbox/ps4. There just needs to be the passage of time for us, the consumer, to not be so ticked off when we need to start from scratch because the current gen DLC doesn't transfer over.

I also predict that I'll eventually get a bass score recorded for all 1280 of my songs. I have guitar scores recorded for all but about 20 of those 1280. I'll get those done too. And possibly get a keys on guitar score recorded for all 320 songs that qualify. Maybe I'll even try to figure out that mustang yet too! This game still has lots of life yet for me.
  • Skippy DeluxeSkippy Deluxe Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    The foreseeable future of Rock Band is in the hands of the community. It all depends on how long the most hardcore of the hardcore keep playing, the longevity of RBN and the tenacity of its authoring groups, etc.

As for the future of Harmonix, I think the only people who have a good idea are the people who work there or work with them. What we do know is incredibly tantalizing: they're not working on any peripheral-focused, Rock Band-esque games, but they are developing three new titles based on three different interface paradigms! I guess it could be more boring than it sounds, e.g. motion controls + handheld + traditional console controller, but it could also be something totally new and unexpected. Given their history, I bet on the latter.

The upside of cutting ties with the Rock Band and DC DLC pipelines is that HMX can now focus all of their bandwidth into innovating in new spaces (which is what they've always done at these crossroads in their history). The fact that it sounds like they're throwing everything they've got into coming up with something (or multiple somethings) just as big as Guitar Hero/Rock Band has me impossibly excited and curious about what comes next. I can tell they're excited too, and want to tell us just as badly as we want to know... but it sounds like we still have a ways to go before they'll be ready to.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    Let's assume that the next generation of consoles have better/more refined technology than the Kinect/PS equivalent does.

HMX and ACTV will enter a working relationship to share existing catalogs, and "Rock Band: Air Guitar Hero" will come out some time in 2015. This game will not require a physical guitar or drum peripheral...instead, you will hold an imaginary guitar in your hands, and the strum and finger movements will be read by the motion sensor, or beat a pillow or the floor or something for the drums.

The game will be able to read any pre-existing Guitar Hero or Rock Band songs which reside on the hard drive, and they will jointly share the profits from a new DLC store. Kinda how Blitz got around the whole licensing problem by slapping the "Rock Band" title on it....hey, it's still a Guitar Hero title, and hey, it's still a Rock Band title.

The sky will be filled with glorious rainbows, Yankees and Red Sox fans will engage in harmonious displays of common humanity, and unicorns will prance freely through the streets.

Jimmy Page will still think everybody involved with this crap are a-holes, though.
    edited March 2013
    Somebody should make a console game or app that captures your image, allows you to act out scenes, and "inserts" you into said scene, and you can post it on Facebook, share with your friends, etc.

Like "Rock Band" gave the gamer the tangible thrill of being able to fake "perform" real music, give the gamer the tangible thrill of being able to fake "act" or fake "make movies".

I'm pretty sure that I'd pay $150 or whatever the cost of the RB bundle was if they could insert me into the volleyball scene in Top Gun as Goose, for example.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    tnevaker;5005246 said:
    i predict that we PS3 users will finally get Great Balls of Fire and DftD's Ordinary Objects from the RBN.

and if we don't, i predict that i will get angry. and HMX wouldn't like me when i'm angry.

THANK YOU HMX!

looks like i won't have to hulk out after all. nice touch to add the 5 2x bass songs for those who want them, but the only songs i cared about were these 2, and while i was pretty sure GBoF was coming out, OO was a question mark and i would've been very sad if it hadn't made it.
    edited March 2013
    Lawdog1521;5005218 said:
    Well, there are the PS3 final RBN songs to predict.

Also, I want to be right for once in the prediction threads so for the final RB DLC song I predict:

Hang Tough - New Kids on the Block

The name of the song is "Hangin' Tough".

You get nothing.

You lose.

GOOD DAY, SIR!
  • generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    I'm not going to get my hopes up on it, but I'll buy into the idea that we could see a few more big artist packs in the future. I would really like to see Metallica one more time on here!
  • princeofcupsprinceofcups Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    1 - The money overlords (i.e. VC owners) want a return on their investment (buying HMX), and dictated quite a while ago to abandon all work on rhythm games. The dance game is the only product that HMX is allowed to work on. That game makes money.

2 - This is really the end of these games in the current form, unless the creative teams can finish their contracts to the overlords (non-competes and all that crap), and start a new company, or else find another shop willing to invest. That certainly won't be EA.

3 - If anything new comes out, it will be a streaming game, and not DLC based. That is much tighter lock in, with the ability to update content (not just songs) daily if not weekly. Microtransactions will be the money maker.

4 - There would also be tighter partnerships with instrument vendors and public venues, e.g. guys at bar playing against guys at another bar, sponsored by Fender.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    samjjones;5005264 said:
    Somebody should make a console game or app that captures your image, allows you to act out scenes, and "inserts" you into said scene, and you can post it on Facebook, share with your friends, etc.

Like "Rock Band" gave the gamer the tangible thrill of being able to fake "perform" real music, give the gamer the tangible thrill of being able to fake "act" or fake "make movies".

I'm pretty sure that I'd pay $150 or whatever the cost of the RB bundle was if they could insert me into the volleyball scene in Top Gun as Goose, for example.

Yoostar 2?
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    I predict some kind of Van Halen and Metallica packs within the next 9 months.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    SmashMan;5005292 said:
    Yoostar 2?

You beat me to this. We had bought a copy just prior to the house fire. Once we're settled back into our restored home I'm going to buy it again. It was amazing fun to watch my kids act out scenes and then share them with family.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2013
    I honestly don't think we'll see anything more for Rock Band on the current generation of consoles (360/PS3/Wii), at least not beyond what the RBN can offer. Over the past year or so, even the "die-hard" audience has shrunk, and it will continue to shrink as regular DLC dries up and the new consoles come out. Besides the cost of firing up the DLC machine again, HMX faces the prospect of trying to hawk DLC to an even smaller audience than what they have now, and pretty much zero potential revenue after this year (new gamers tend to gravitate to the shiny new toys, not old, tarnished toys). That's not something even a Led Zeppelin pack would overcome, in my opinion.

More long term, I think we just might eventually see Harmonix dust off the Rock Band name, maybe two or three years from now when the new generation of consoles has settled in place and we can see who the hardware winners and contenders are. I suspect 5-lane "legacy" play will disappear altogether, and instead the game will be something like a full-band answer to RockSmith, with players bringing their own instruments and playing along with standard tracks (no stems). Without legacy play, you won't get the casual gamers, and so the new platform won't be anywhere near as big as the old one. But without the logistical headaches caused by using separated stems and game-specific instruments, a small platform will do just fine. RockSmith and SingStar have already proven there is a large enough audience for real-instrument and play-along-with-the-radio style gaming, and Harmonix could show them both how to make an actual fun game to go along with the instruments and microphones.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I'm a little worried Rock Band as we know it is dead. Rumor has it the next generation of consoles won't transfer over old DLC. Harmonix made such an effort to allow players to build up this massive in-game library of music, it would be a shame to start over from scratch.

That's why I'm predicting on the next generation of consoles, Harmonix will have some kind of Rocksmith-esque game where you can plug in any guitar/bass. It would use the Rock Band name as a franchise but solely focus on really playing, not fake plastic instruments. Because of this, the libraries would start over from scratch (like I said before).

I'm really interested in these new projects Harmonix is nixing Rock Band and Dance Central DLC in favor of. It better be worth it. They've already confirmed it's not a Rock Band title. It was rumored a while ago it wasn't even music related.
    edited March 2013
    FujiSkunk;5005347 said:
    I honestly don't think we'll see anything more for Rock Band on the current generation of consoles (360/PS3/Wii), at least not beyond what the RBN can offer. Over the past year or so, even the "die-hard" audience has shrunk, and it will continue to shrink as regular DLC dries up and the new consoles come out. Besides the cost of firing up the DLC machine again, HMX faces the prospect of trying to hawk DLC to an even smaller audience than what they have now, and pretty much zero potential revenue after this year (new gamers tend to gravitate to the shiny new toys, not old, tarnished toys). That's not something even a Led Zeppelin pack would overcome, in my opinion.

More long term, I think we just might eventually see Harmonix dust off the Rock Band name, maybe two or three years from now when the new generation of consoles has settled in place and we can see who the hardware winners and contenders are. I suspect 5-lane "legacy" play will disappear altogether, and instead the game will be something like a full-band answer to RockSmith, with players bringing their own instruments and playing along with standard tracks (no stems). Without legacy play, you won't get the casual gamers, and so the new platform won't be anywhere near as big as the old one. But without the logistical headaches caused by using separated stems and game-specific instruments, a small platform will do just fine. RockSmith and SingStar have already proven there is a large enough audience for real-instrument and play-along-with-the-radio style gaming, and Harmonix could show them both how to make an actual fun game to go along with the instruments and microphones.
    tdc002;5005355 said:
    I'm a little worried Rock Band as we know it is dead. Rumor has it the next generation of consoles won't transfer over old DLC. Harmonix made such an effort to allow players to build up this massive in-game library of music, it would be a shame to start over from scratch.

That's why I'm predicting on the next generation of consoles, Harmonix will have some kind of Rocksmith-esque game where you can plug in any guitar/bass. It would use the Rock Band name as a franchise but solely focus on really playing, not fake plastic instruments. Because of this, the libraries would start over from scratch (like I said before).

I'm really interested in these new projects Harmonix is nixing Rock Band and Dance Central DLC in favor of. It better be worth it. They've already confirmed it's not a Rock Band title. It was rumored a while ago it wasn't even music related.

Even though I don't really play any legacy anything, I would be sad if there weren't any legacy stuff in the future.

I'm all for playing PRO. I mean it's all I really do and for me personally I wouldn't miss legacy in the least. I simply still believe that GRYBO play is possibly still the very best way for people that aren't committed to learning to play an instrument to get that immersive experience that is usually only reserved for musicians on real instruments. I'd hate to see that disappear.

That said, if there is a Rock Band (with keys especially and drums hopefully) answer to Rock Smith then I'm more than all in.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    The final piece of weekly Rock Band DLC will be released on April 2nd. The song will be "American Pie", as we all already know. The Rock Band Network will go on one final spurge of activity as people try, without much success, to fill the gap that official DLC has presented. People will forget about Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc. The ending of this franchise will result in a further gap for all peripheral-based music video games. If Activision was planning on making another Guitar Hero, it will not happen until 2014, at the very earliest. Even then, it's unlikely. Before the year is up, the RBN will have become so stagnant that it will be, in essence, if not officially, shut down. Throughout this time Harmonix will be promoting their new games while the custom market booms for a short period and then dies quickly as well. Harmonix will find a few small projects to work on, none of which are as engulfing as Rock Band, and will become so dependent on the casual gamer that they, too, will go out of business.

Somewhere down the line, music video games will be brought back, but the odds of a company being as well-designed and organized as Rock Band is unlikely. We will never have as big of a library and we will never see as good of a game to play with our plastic guitars.
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited March 2013
    In ten years I'll still be saying, "I'm playing Rock Band on my 2 generation old PS3 bruther"
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2013
    atalkingfish;5005396 said:
    Harmonix will find a few small projects to work on, none of which are as engulfing as Rock Band, and will become so dependent on the casual gamer that they, too, will go out of business.
    Bitter much?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2013
    No matter what Harmonix does in regards to future games, and what the community does for Rock Band Network I predict one thing and one thing only :

Awesomeness.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2013
    The Rock Band community will probably live on a few years more, then eventually move on for the most part after RBN goes down. Then in maybe ten years the series may be revived as a "return of a classic" with both classic songs and whatever the hell will be popular (rapstepcore?). It will enjoy moderate success from people who are "old school" fans and new fans alike.

At least that's one possible situation.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited March 2013
    yeah I doubt we will ever see more HMX Rock Band DLC

at least us Xbox people can still look forward to awesome RBN DLC
  • KooleKyleKooleKyle Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    Harmonix is planning something for next gen consoles, and I'd like it to be a rocksmith-esque sorta dealy. That'd be neat.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 2013
    skyp1e;5005392 said:

That said, if there is a Rock Band (with keys especially and drums hopefully) answer to Rock Smith then I'm more than all in.

Bandfuse
  • edited March 2013
    grumblevolcano;5005422 said:
    Bandfuse

I'll believe it when I see it.
    edited March 2013
    grumblevolcano;5005422 said:
    Bandfuse

The Duke Nukem Forever of music games.