Music Promotion

angelaCaangelaCa Unsigned
edited March 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Who can advise some site where newly created band can promote its music? I’d like to make my band more popular. Somebody gave me a link on artistecard.com on my facebook page. Does anybody know these services? Maybe someone knows other sites, something affordable?

Comments

• HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited March 2013
    This doesn't appear to be RBN-related unless you're trying to get your music into the Rock Band Network. Moving this thread to Less Rokk More Talk.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    www1221;5005241 said:

This will help if you're lucky. Other than just uploading your songs to a website, you need to let people know about your music. This is a very tricky process however, because some people will take your "promotion" as spam, so no random messages to people, they won't listen. A good way is the RBN. The Rock Band Network allows you to put your music on Rock Band, so you can promote your music somewhere where you are suppose to promote your music. Also, to help, the authoring group that authors your song will most likely post on their threads about your song. So that all helps if you're not me, but it worked for everyone else.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    DeferredGalaxy3;5005315 said:
    but it worked for everyone else.
    Well. I'd say it worked just fine for bands that already had an audience. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have had those two tunes up on the RBN from the early days, but a great many fans they did not get me. Very few have downloaded, much less purchased any music: they are not crossing the country to see me play shows.

tl;dr = Assuming that you are not a company-manufactured band with a huge promotional budget, recorded music will not make your band popular. Playing out all the time and putting on consistently awesome shows might.

This should not be surprising. Nor should it discourage you from putting something up on the RBN. But do it because it's fun... because it will not get you a lot of exposure. Bandcamp, soundcloud, a good Facebook, and a band Twitter account are all absolutely necessary these days, but they alone will not do much. These are all passive means of promoting your music. Even aggressively tweeting and facebooking can be easily ignored. In fact, Facebook will only show your audience about 10% of your posts unless you pay them off.

So what do you do?

Mike Watt has good terminology for this. Apart from writing songs and performing them with a great awesomeness, everything a band does is either a GIG, or a FLYER. Nothing else. The GIG is the live performance in front of real people. The GIG is where you will make the biggest impression on people; the GIG is what will get you paid. The GIG is what will start winning you fans.

FLYERS are all the other things you do to get people to go to the gig. Posters, interviews, your website, bandcamp, soundcloud, etcetera, all of those things are FLYERS. Actually, your recorded music - since nobody but old farts like me pays for music these days - everything you record is a FLYER - something to get people to show up to the live show, pay their cover, buy their beer, and fall in love with you.

You're a new band. You're learning how to sound good. There is only one way to improve and win ears: play out, in front of people, ALL THE TIME. Somebody better have a van.

Setting up gigs is very easy if you have a city nearby. Set up your bandcamp or whatever with music that anybody can stream for free. This is important: you need to be able to send a link to that to any booker you're trying to contact. Any club you will want to play will have a website, an email for their booking guy, and instructions for how to book a show. Follow the instructions. Email once, and then move on to the next club. Someone will get back to you - assuming that your demo recordings convince them you can play and bring people to the club. Don't play more often than every three or four weeks in a given town; get used to booking shows that are a few hours away.

Every show you book, put it on your website and promote it in your social media. Try to promote it to the local music press if they're open to that sort of thing. Put posters up in music stores wherever you play, at least a week in advance. Send posters to the clubs ahead of time to do the same thing.

Make friends with other bands whose sound you like, and who like your sound - and share lots of shows with them. That way you share audiences, and make friends with other musicians, which is anyway a good thing to do.

Don't piss off bookers.

Make all your shows an event. Don't let sounding like the recording get in the way of putting on a spectacle. Unless you're My Bloody Valentine or something, nobody's all that interested in watching a bunch of shoegazers.

Anyhow, that's a start, and what I'd be doing if I was twenty and didn't have to hold down a day job. My band - The James Rocket - plays in NYC and Brooklyn about once a month, will never get famous, and I'll keep right on doing it because it's how I do.