Official Discussion Thread: DLC Week of 4/2: Don McLean's "American Pie"!

edited June 2013 in Rock Band
hmxhenry;5005394 said:
DON MCLEAN’S “AMERICAN PIE” COMES TO ROCK BAND! RELEASE MARKS THE END OF NEW WEEKLY ROCK BAND DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT AFTER 281 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS OF RELEASES!

Cambridge, Mass. – March 29th, 2013 – Harmonix today announced that Don McLean’s “American Pie” is headed to the Rock Band™ Music Store of downloadable content for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Wii™.

The Rock Band catalog includes the deepest and best selection of artists, songs and albums, featuring more than 1,400 artists and more than 4,000* tracks via disc and download purchase (complete list of tracks at www.rockband.com/songs). Rock Band’s gigantic music library has grown over the past 5+ years through an unbelievable streak of weekly DLC releases that dwarfs that of any other video game on the market in terms of sheer pieces of content. Recently Harmonix confirmed that more than 130 million songs have been sold through the Rock Band Music Store since its launch on Nov. 20, 2007.

Tracks downloaded from the Rock Band Music Store are compatible with the award-winning full-band Rock Band 3 experience, as well as the controller-based rhythm-action title, Rock Band Blitz, available now on PlayStation®Network and Xbox LIVE® Arcade!

Though this marks the end of new weekly DLC releases, Harmonix plans to continue support for the thousands of active Rock Band fans through ongoing Rock Band Network releases, server support and back-catalog promotions. Rock and Roll never dies, and Rock Band will keep rocking for years to come.

Rock Band DLC Additions for Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system and Wii™

On April 2nd, singer-songwriter Don McLean’s signature hit, “American Pie,” comes to the Rock Band Music Store. From McLean’s 1971 album of the same name, this legendary folk-rock track spent four weeks as a number one song on U.S. Billboard’s Hot 100!

The release of “American Pie” marks the end of a 281 consecutive week run of weekly releases of new music content, resulting in an amazing catalog of more than 4,000 playable tracks from music’s biggest artists! Harmonix is proud to release this song as our finale to a 5 year labor of love.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii, and PlayStation®3 system (April 2nd):

• Don McLean – “American Pie” O

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system April 3rd)

Price:

$1.99 USD, £1.19 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards.

** Dates and Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in the Rock Band forum.

For more information about the future of DLC, specifically the end of new weekly releases on April 2nd, check this announcement and FAQ as well as the associated discussion thread.

For all DLC song credits, including album and genre info as well as difficulty ratings, you can check out the Songs page.
hmxhenry;5005395 said:
This is the last week of RBN releases on PS3, so we’re going out with a bang! Jerry Lee Lewis’s classic “Great Balls of Fire” comes out Tuesday on PS3, along with four other frequently requested songs. Additionally, this release includes 5 (2x Bass Pedal) songs from artists such as A Day to Remember and August Burns Red for the enjoyment of expert drummers. That’s ten tracks total for PS3 players!

Here are the Rock Band Network tracks that hit Xbox 360 on Thursday, 3/28/2013:

Pop/Dance/Electronic

Jeff Ball - “Vapor Radian” (80 MSP)

Metal

Hopes Die Last - “Unleash Hell (2x Bass Pedal)” (160 MSP)

Punk

Terror - “The New Blood” (160 MSP)

And here are the PS3 RBN releases scheduled for Tuesday, 4/2/2013 (North America) and 4/3/2013 (Europe):

Jerry Lee Lewis - “Great Balls of Fire” ($1.99), Rock, OffbeatEntertainment
Children of Nova - “Impossible Landscape” ($1.99), Prog, RockGamer
Dance for the Dying - “Ordinary Objects” ($0.99), Pop-Rock, pksage
Ava Inferi - “The Living End” ($1.99), Metal, Season-of-Mist
The Dillinger Escape Plan - “Parasitic Twins” ($1.99), Metal, Season-of-Mist

TesseracT - “Deception - Concealing Fate Part Two (2x Bass Pedal)” ($1.99), Prog, CenturyMediaRecords
Attack Attack! - “Last Breath (2x Bass Pedal)” ($1.99), Metal, Riserecords
A Day to Remember - “All Signs Point to Lauderdale (2x Bass Pedal)” ($1.99), Rock, Victory
A Day to Remember - “2nd Sucks (2x Bass Pedal)” ($1.99), Rock, Victory
August Burns Red - “Internal Cannon (2x Bass Pedal)” ($1.99), Metal, TheAuthority

The end of the streak of weekly DLC, the end of the streak of weekly DLC discussion threads. It's been an honor and a privilege, ladies and gents. Enjoy and discuss!

Comments

• Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited March 2013
    Perfect song to end a perfect franchise.
    It's been one hell of a ride and I thank you Harmonix for impacting my life so much. I would never be into music as much as I am now without you guys.

RIP In Piece Rock Band
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited March 2013
    The last Friday announcement. Every subsequent week will feel empty.

Thank you Harmonix, for everything you've done for us over the years. I know that you will continue to support the community for years to come, but, as DLC comes to an end, I think it is truly time that we look back at the past five and a half years and see just how much you have given us up to now.

American Pie is the perfect way to end a perfect game. I wouldn't expect anything less from you, though. You've always given us the best. The amount of quality/quantity you provided us with, with every single DLC release has been truly unparalleled by any other video game company. Just know that I realize how much happiness you have all brought me over the years, and how grateful I am for ever second spent holding a plastic instrument.
  • RM-225RM-225 Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    Congratulations to Don McLean for making it to Rock Band.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    This will be fun to play in a few weeks when it feels less like an on-the-nose reminder of our shared pain. Thanks for the memories, gang.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited March 2013
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    I've said all that I need to say before today. Now that it's here, I only have one thing further to say on this matter: THANK YOU and here's to HMX: Kicking ass and rocking out for years to come!

\m/\m/

God Bless Rock Band *single man-tear*

Enjoy, everyone!
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    I feel like crying, but I just can't.

Rock Band has provided me some great memories over the past few years. I remember when I started checking DLC weekly back in early 2011 and some announcements really hold deep in my heart. The fact that this is the last one almost brings a tear to my eye.

I will definitely buy this, but probably won't play it right away because of how painful that would be.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2013
    Bad news on the doorstep
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for all of the great memories, HMX. While I really wish DLC was continuing, I understand that new projects have to take priority now.

I hope that DLC is not totally over though and you do release more in the future, when certain bands end their Guitar Hero exclusivity like: The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Van Halen and Metallica.

That said, thank you for one last great track before the weekly DLC ends! I've wanted American Pie in the game for years!
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    A long, long time ago, I can still remember
    How that music used to make me smile
    I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance
    And maybe they'd be happy for a while.

;_;7
  • MillionMiAwayMillionMiAway Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Great Song to go out on - Really dissapointed that it's not proupgraded though - I kinda thought that would be a given.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

And I'll be singin'

"My, my, this here Anakin guy
    May be Vader someday later, now he's just a small fry
    And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
    Sayin' 'Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi'
    Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi'"

Fingers crossed they might do a one-off DLC release of a GH exclusive artist once their deals expire.

Keep on rockin', everybody!
    edited March 2013
    One last song from "Dance for the Dying" for the PS3 crowd, THANKS! ... oh, and "Great Balls of Fire" too :D

Way to maximize the suspense for the final week, that was awesome (in retrospect)
  • ChaosraidenChaosraiden Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    RM-225;5005555 said:
    Congratulations to Don McLean for making it to Rock Band.

I lol'd in a sad way!
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    One of the greatest classic rock songs ever written, sentimental and perfect to end the weekly dlc. I've requested it so many times, i'm glad it's finally here, even if i'm sad for the same reason.

I wanted to write so many things but I guess i'll go with a simple

Thank you harmonix for your support through the years.
  • TommyWalker1237TommyWalker1237 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    So much to say.... but I'll just say "thanks Harmonix."

Purchasing some instruments on Amazon to last me years and years to come, and definitely picking up American Pie to add to my massive collection.

Let's hope some day down the line we get some new DLC.
  • Henry_SardonicusHenry_Sardonicus Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    I guess now we see if they release any other songs at a later time, like Metallica or something.

Anyone who doesn't buy this song is banned.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    ^

No questions asked.
  • MeinNegerMeinNeger Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    THE GOOD OL' BOYS WERE DRINKING

AND RYE

Why no Pro Upgrade Harmonix? Do we not pay you enough shekels?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 2013
    Congrats again HMX for going this long. Lots of great DLC released over the past 5 and a bit years.

Note: I'm sure plenty of people have picked up on the fact that the preview video is the penultimate Blitz week ("Always", "Kids in the Street", "Give It Away").
  • hoss30hoss30 Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    I was really hoping that this was all an elaborate April Fool's joke. I guess it's actually going to happen though. I will miss getting new content but there is still a lot of songs I have yet to add of the content currently available.

Please continue to keep the store open and leaderboards live for as long as possible!! Rock Band has been a huge part of my life and I have enjoyed playing with friends and family whenever I get the chance.

Even though there are a million more songs I could think of that I hoped would make it into the RB catalog, "American Pie" is a heckuva way to go out. Even my 4 year old loves that song. That just shows how much power music has: even after decades have passed, it can still bring joy to people of all ages.

Peace and love to all those at Harmonix! Thanks for the memories and all the hard work you put in to bring us all together with our mutual love of music.
    edited March 2013
    So we finally got American Pie, what songs do you think we'll get next week? Personally I'm hoping for more Radiohead.
    edited March 2013
    I'm glad the "GH exclusive" contract terms aren't public, otherwise I'd be obsessively hitting refresh on the official RB message board every day at 10am for weeks before and months after each milestone. Hopefully a bonus release will happen, someday, for some artist, and it'll sneak up on me out of the blue long after I've totally forgotten about the possibility. So I can just set a Google Alert and forget about it. Wait, did Google get rid of that function too? Dammit.
    edited March 2013
    Meat-Popsicle;5005582 said:
    I'm glad the "GH exclusive" contract terms aren't public, otherwise I'd be obsessively hitting refresh on the official RB message board every day at 10am for weeks before and months after each milestone. Hopefully a bonus release will happen, someday, for some artist, and it'll sneak up on me out of the blue long after I've totally forgotten about the possibility. So I can just set a Google Alert and forget about it. Wait, did Google get rid of that function too? Dammit.

They're keeping it open son.

If they make Rock Band Blitz 2 it will have exports I'm sure.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    So long, old friend. Fridays will never be the same.
  • Felldoh_The_SquirrelFelldoh_The_Squirrel Road Warrior
    edited March 2013
    It's been forever since I posted here, and I just wanna say, what a ride it's been.

Thank you HMX for all that you've done and I hope that we'll see some DLC in the future down the road if you guys feel like it or anything. Heh, yeah right. But I can still dream.

Well, I'll see you guys around.
  • PikminGuts92PikminGuts92 Unsigned
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for another great song. It's sad to see it come to an end but on the bright side, now I can catch up on songs with pro guitar. I'm only missing 77 of them. :p
    edited March 2013
    Stop deleting my posts, Harmonix.

I-I'm sorry ;-;
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited March 2013
    I may actually shed a tear trying to sing this.
  • jarodtoiletboyjarodtoiletboy Opening Act
    edited March 2013
    I'm glad we have a huge catalog, so it will take a long time to get boring.
    Let's hope that since Harmonix won't be actively persuing future DLC, hopefully they are keeping their eyes on the end of the contracts that would free up Metallica's stuff we don't have and the Van Halen contract.
    Also, maybe Harmonix can get RBN some of the contacts for some of the major label artists we haven't got yet.
    Or elaborate on some of the artists they already have.
    I'd love for more Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Queen, Volbeat, Ratt etc, etc...