Alex Rigopoulos comments on next gen consoles, DLC and Rock Band. (Game Informer)

Tommy GunTommy Gun Opening Act
edited May 2013 in Rock Band
Sorry if this was mentioned in another thread, but I couldn't find it. In Game Informer (May 2013), there's a couple pages about RB ending, with these quotes from Alex Rigopoulos:

"While we don't have any active title releases in development right now, it's never far from our thoughts, and you can be sure that this franchise will be back, guns blazing, at some point in the future when the time is right."

And more interestingly, regarding DLC:

"Certainly, it would be our ambition if and when we migrate Rock Band to the eighth-generation consoles, it would be our ambition to carry forward players' entitlements and their music libraries to the next generation. That investment that players have made over the years in those libraries is something that we would want to take great pains to protect as we carry Rock Band into the future."

Is that even possible? With the nightmare of licensing, it seemed like everyone assumed it could never happen. What exactly is the licensing deal? Obviously some (all?) songs are ending after 5 years unless there's a new deal, but what are the terms? Songs can be exported to any new Rock Band game on the same console (gen) you bought them on? Or is it actually more general, like "any Rock Band game on the Xbox platform," without specifying which gen? They would have to relicense every single song for next gen, right?

It definitely makes me happy to read those quotes. Hope it happens.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Harmonix = Anything is possible.

Thanks for posting this.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited April 2013
  • dudemann14dudemann14 Rising Star
    edited April 2013
    I suppose it could be possible that they're trying to add in that the DLC could be used on next-gen while they're re-licensing the back catalog that's expiring?

If so, that's very happy news for me. As is the first quote, "While we don't have any active title releases in development right now, it's never far from our thoughts, and you can be sure that this franchise will be back, guns blazing, at some point in the future when the time is right."
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    This thread made my day! :)
  • Tommy GunTommy Gun Opening Act
    edited April 2013
    dudemann14;5009888 said:
    I suppose it could be possible that they're trying to add in that the DLC could be used on next-gen while they're re-licensing the back catalog that's expiring?
    That would be very cool, but I wonder if they would do that when there isn't anything in development? Then again, they charted pro drums three years before you could use them!
    rkbdgurl;5009890 said:
    This thread made my day! :)
    Glad I could help! It made my day when I read it in the magazine!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    And that's why Harmonix is my favorite gaming company (favorite company in general?). There are so many convenient excuses to do the lazy / greedy thing, but somehow they would rather make money by selling an awesome product. And if something can be done to keep the fun going, well, they love playing their games too, so they are willing to go the extra mile to try and make it happen. Not everything is possible, but Harmonix is never going to be the weakest link, I feel confident in that.
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    > 8 generations

Cant wait for the Playstation-11 and the Xbox 2880 !
  • SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    edited April 2013
    This is the type of thing that will keep me supporting Harmonix for years to come.
  • MySummerJobMySummerJob Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    Wow, that would be awesome if they found a way to do something like this =)
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited April 2013
    well, when I did the RB1 export, a messaged popped up on my screen saying I could play all those songs in ANY future RB title, so they kinda promised ;)
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited April 2013
    So glad to read those comments from Alex - thanks so much for posting!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    Tommy Gun;5009870 said:

Is that even possible? With the nightmare of licensing, it seemed like everyone assumed it could never happen. What exactly is the licensing deal? Obviously some (all?) songs are ending after 5 years unless there's a new deal, but what are the terms? Songs can be exported to any new Rock Band game on the same console (gen) you bought them on? Or is it actually more general, like "any Rock Band game on the Xbox platform," without specifying which gen? They would have to relicense every single song for next gen, right?

It definitely makes me happy to read those quotes. Hope it happens.
    Even if licenses expire, if you paid for and downloaded the song, you own that file. Even if the licenses expire, you still have that song if you previously bought it (unless you delete it). Hence why people that previously bought the Metallica pack can still play the songs, but no one else can buy them.

Thanks for posting this though, this is really encouraging stuff. All the end of Rock Band tribute stuff the last month has really made me think the franchise is dead. Good to hear the CEO himself says it WILL be back someday. I just hope my huge catalog of legacy tracks can carry over to the next generation of consoles. I've bought WAAAYYYY more music via Rock Band than I have regular MP3s.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited April 2013
    Long live Rock Band.
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    While I think it's great that HMX is willing to try, hasn't it already been confirmed that PS4 does not support PS3 purchases? It sounds to me like that's that for PS4.

If Harmonix does manage to pull it off though, they'll have single handedly changed my mind about moving from xbox to PC. Truth be told this is pretty much the only thing that would sell me whatever console Microsoft has been working on after my experiences with them.
    edited April 2013
    tdc002;5010098 said:
    Even if licenses expire, if you paid for and downloaded the song, you own that file. Even if the licenses expire, you still have that song if you previously bought it (unless you delete it). Hence why people that previously bought the Metallica pack can still play the songs, but no one else can buy them.

Yeah, I knew all of that (and even if you delete, you can still re-download) -- but I figured the terms only grant you permission to use those files on the system you bought them on (in my case 360). Don't I only "own" them there?

This is a question that is bigger than Rock Band though, now that downloadable games have become popular -- what exactly are we buying? (We don't have to get into this discussion here.)
  • Ace4eVerAce4eVer Unsigned
    edited April 2013
    This is some nice news and thanks for posting. Unfortunately, my console of choice has already announced that it won't be backwards compatible and previous purchases won't transfer over so it seems unlikely that any future HMX efforts will include my purchases.

Its nice to see something so upbeat about a possible future for RB though. I'm impressed that they are trying to keep the DLC purchases alive instead of trying to resell them to us over and over again.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited April 2013
    Certainly a nice thing to read, even if I don't expect much to come of it.

Off topic, is there anything I can to be able to post a new thread? I haven't been able to do so since the site came back.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2013
    Ace4eVer;5010150 said:
    This is some nice news and thanks for posting. Unfortunately, my console of choice has already announced that it won't be backwards compatible and previous purchases won't transfer over so it seems unlikely that any future HMX efforts will include my purchases.

Its nice to see something so upbeat about a possible future for RB though. I'm impressed that they are trying to keep the DLC purchases alive instead of trying to resell them to us over and over again.
    Well, the DLC purchases are simply a data file. The Rock Band software reads the data file... so it would be possible to code the next gen game to read the same data files. Not sure how the game companies will feel about hosting all those data files for download again...
  • DrRock69DrRock69 Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    "guns" blazing eh.... guns and roses RB , Confirmed
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5009874 said:
    Harmonix = Anything is possible.

Thanks for posting this.

Except Led Zep DLC.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2013
    Sayburr;5010198 said:
    Well, the DLC purchases are simply a data file. The Rock Band software reads the data file... so it would be possible to code the next gen game to read the same data files. Not sure how the game companies will feel about hosting all those data files for download again...
    Again what? They're already hosting them in the first place, so it's not an "again".
  • WittikissWittikiss Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    Sayburr;5010198 said:

Rock Band has sold like the most DLC in the history of ever, I'm sure dollar signs change opinions faster than one might think.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    defdog99;5009911 said:
    > 8 generations

Cant wait for the Playstation-11 and the Xbox 2880 !
    Counting from the beginning of home video game consoles, which goes back some 40 years, the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Wii are considered to be 7th generation machines (see this and this).

BTW, the quoted article is here.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    mikeyts;5010294 said:
    Counting from the beginning of home video game consoles, which goes back some 40 years,

I used to have a TV Scoreboard. Fun times!

As for RB future, this adds nothing new. HMX have never said they are making a new RB and HMX have always said they would revisit the genre when (if?) things change.

As long as there is a method for DLC distribution, then it can be possible to bring all the past DLC along. But I would suspect that there are a lot of things that need to be addressed such as licences and commercial viability. It's going to take some time if they need to change any DRM measures to thousands of files and then submit each one through the process of QA & sony/microsoft/nintendo.

Although it's always nice to have hope :)
    edited April 2013
    mikeyts;5010294 said:
    BTW, the quoted article is here.

Thanks for the link; I didn't know there was more to the story (I never read their site). For anyone wondering though, that's *not* the same article as in the print mag -- it's kind of "the other half" of the article, so it's worth checking out the mag too.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited April 2013
    Sayburr;5010198 said:

To me, what made Rock Band a million times better than Guitar Hero was the ability to build this huge music library full of full of songs and albums. Guitar Hero's clunkier music library interface (less compact, no album art, no album sorting, etc) and lack of exports deterred people from building up a huge library. If there were to be a Rock Band 4 on next gen consoles that didn't allow me to carry over all of my old tracks, it wouldn't feel like Rock Band to me.
  • rcktmnkyrcktmnky Unsigned
    edited April 2013
    This is the one thing that would make me buy the next xbox.

Rock Band made a capital B Billion dollars. They will try to bring it back. The only question is when.
  • EndlessCornetEndlessCornet Unsigned
    edited April 2013
    I just hope that the next Rock band is still compatible with xbox 360 oh please please please :D
  • Arkham99Arkham99 Unsigned
    edited April 2013
    Tommy Gun;5010140 said:
    I figured the terms only grant you permission to use those files on the system you bought them on (in my case 360). Don't I only "own" them there?

This is a question that is bigger than Rock Band though, now that downloadable games have become popular -- what exactly are we buying?
    There's certainly some grey area involving this question, no I don't believe that we technically "own" ANY DLC that we buy from the Marketplace, we are simply purchasing a license to access that content for a specific user profile that we probably don't "own" either. According to the XBOXLive Terms of Use, we don't "own" anything really, the ability to access the content can be removed by them at anytime if they see fit without notice....:-)
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited April 2013
    In a previous thread, I expressed concern that it would take a competitor goading Harmonix back into the marketplace and then Harmonix rushing the game out and risking more bugs like XMB and Wii Star Glitch. This assuages my fears.

The bit about extra metadata on the discs in the online article still raises my hopes of the Great Genre Re-Labeling. :D

I just wonder what Harmonix will do with the mandatory Kinect on 720...