Songs for a "drummer" who likes old songs :)

ilyama999ilyama999 Opening Act
edited November 2013 in Rock Band
Hello guys !

Finally, I've got 2000 MS points to spend ... :)

I already bought 170 songs in 2 weeks that I really like to hear, or songs who remember my youthness / some memories ... :)

Now I want to buy songs because the song is fun to play with drums ...

I dont want to buy songs only because it's the most difficult/harder song to play with drums. I dont care about that ... I need to play with a song that I love to heat.

I like to listen songs of 60's/70's/80's/90's until 2005 +-
Noting from the last ten years ... :mad:

I like classic rock, punk, hard rock, rock n'roll, pop, a little bit of metal...
I think you see what kind of music I like :)

Any suggestion about songs only for drums gameplay

Go go dont hesitate, tell me what's in your mind, all answers are good but I need the title of the song not only artist ! :D :D :D

Big big thanks for the help !!!!!! :)

PS: I wanted to change the title of my other thread but impossible ... :(

Comments

• edited May 2013
  • ilyama999ilyama999 Opening Act
    edited May 2013
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    Any and all Boston
    Any and all Iron Maiden
    And find yourself a new copy of Green Day: Rock Band and export it to RB3
    edited May 2013
    Boston, I already bought, More than feeling, I wiil buy Smokin too . Other ideas about Boston?

Iron Maiden, I have 2 minutes to midnight and fear of the dark.

GD RB I already have it in RB3 ;)
  • edited May 2013
    All of the Boston is fantastic on drums. My personal favorites are Hitch A Ride and Peace of Mind but really you can't go wrong with any of them.
    edited May 2013
    Ok I can take smokin and Peace of mind for Boston ;)

This thread begins like I wanted ... :D
    Put all your ideas here , go go go :) :) :)
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2013
    DLC
    Modern Love -- David Bowie
    I Didn't Say I was Powerful, I Said I Was A Wizard -- Chiodos
    Lucretia -- Megadeth

RBN
    Talk About -- Dear & the Headlights
    The Difference Between Medicine & Poison is the Dose -- Circa Survive
    50,000 Unstoppable Watts -- Clutch
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2013
    edited May 2013
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited May 2013
    MagicMurderBag7;5013765 said:
    Funk #49 by James Gang.
    Seconded. It looks daunting at first, but as far as higher-tiered songs go, it is easy to get into the groove with this song, and it's a total blast when you do.
    MagicMurderBag7;5013778 said:
    All of the Boston is fantastic on drums... but really you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Seconded again. Note that "Foreplay / Long Time" isn't available as DLC. You will need to export songs from the first Rock Band game for that. Fortunately the RB1 export doesn't require a one-use code like the other exports do, and RB1 discs are dirt-cheap nowadays. Find a disc, pony up the five bucks for the export, and then "Foreplay / Long Time" will be yours. You'll also get several other good old songs like "Don't Fear the Reaper," "Highway Star," "Flirtin' with Disaster" and "Won't Get Fooled Again." These songs will make lesser drummers cry, but they are very invigorating once you figure out how to play them.
    Lawdog1521;5013808 said:
    Any of The Who.

You may want to skip the Live at Leeds tracks, at least for the time being (unless you buy the pack, which is recommended). Keith Moon was in rare form for that concert, and only the best drummers have any hope of keeping up. But any and all studio Who songs are definitely worth getting. Some of course are harder than others, but they're all fun and all within reach of drummers willing to invest the time.

If you happen to find a new copy of Rock Band 2 that you can export, I think you would have fun drumming to "Carry On Wayward Son" and "Pinball Wizard." "Aqualung" is also a good drumming song, if you can keep up. "Ramblin' Man" and "Bodhisattva" will definitely test both your muscle memory and your endurance!

Other old songs from the DLC catalog I like to drum with are Free's "All Right Now" (fairly easy, but still a lot of fun), REO Speedwagon's "Roll with the Changes" (tricky in places, good practice to learn those tricks), Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker" (I very nearly destroy my drum kit every time I play this song), Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit" (I like playing this song a lot more than I like listening to it) and of course, Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" (but only if you're sure you're ready!).

A few songs I might recommend avoiding, at least for now, are Jimi Hendrix songs. Hendrix's drummer, Mitch Mitchell, was evil. His drum charts tend to start easy, and then get harder and harder until you're cursing his name and failing out just before the song ends. Of course if you like to play with "no fail" this isn't a problem, but still he annoys me, even as I admire his talent.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the answer !

In fact I already did all exports possible (RB1, RB2, RB GD, RB AC/DC, RB trackpack vol 2 and RB Lego )
    So all the european dvd games ;)

I only want to buy DLC songs here ;) 80 or 160 ms songs :)

I'm looking for two songs of Jimi Hendrix (I already have : Fire, Foxey Lady and Crossfire Traffic)
    I know its hard but I need songs of him in my library ... :D

The Clash I know that the best is to buy all but its too expensive ...
    I want to buy another songs in DLC (already bought Lost in ... and Brand new... )
    Any idea ?

And a good song from judas priest , ozzy osbourne , the police, red hot chilli peppers?

Bob Marley there is something good for drummers ?

A lot of quetions lol

:D
  • mofan77mofan77 Unsigned
    edited May 2013
    easy stuff..but i enjoy most all the tom Petty personally, kiss "dueces" or 100,000 is pretty fun as well.
    edited May 2013
    Yes Tom Petty, I like it too !!!! A name song in your head ? :)
    I've got 80 ms for this artist :) But I'm sad, I really like his solo album "wildflowers"and no song of this album ... :(
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited May 2013
    ilyama999;5013874 said:
    In fact I already did all exports possible (RB1, RB2, RB GD, RB AC/DC, RB trackpack vol 2 and RB Lego )
    Ah, good!
    I'm looking for two songs of Jimi Hendrix (I already have : Fire, Foxey Lady and Crossfire Traffic)
    I know its hard but I need songs of him in my library ... :D
    Maybe "All along the Watchtower," "Purple Haze" and/or "Spanish Castle Magic." Those are among Hendrix's more famous tunes, and the drum charts aren't too ridiculous. Definitely stay clear of "If 6 Was 9" unless you're really in the mood to be challenged (or annoyed).
    The Clash I know that the best is to buy all but its too expensive ...
    I want to buy another songs in DLC (already bought Lost in ... and Brand new... )
    Any idea ?
    "I Fought the Law" will give you a good workout. I like "Train in Vain" a little more than "I Fought the Law" but some drummers will find the "Train" chart a bit boring.
    And a good song from judas priest , ozzy osbourne , the police, red hot chilli peppers?
    All of the Police '70s tunes have good drum charts. "Message in a Bottle" or "Can't Stand Losing You" would be my recommendation, if only because those are my favorite of the bunch, but "Truth Hits Everybody" or "So Lonely" may provide more of a challenge.

Among Judas Priest tracks, "You Got Another Thing Comin'" is my favorite, but "Screaming for Vengeance" may offer the best balance between difficulty and fun. "The Hellion / Electric Eye" is also good.

As for Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Give It Away" is easily both the most fun and the most annoying of their songs. That particular bass-drum pattern gives me a lot of grief, but it feels really good when I finally get it. After four-plus years of drumming in RB, my hold on that pattern still comes and goes. "Give It Away" was on the RB2 disc, but it didn't export. Fortunately it was released available again as DLC. I also like "Dani California," but of course that is an RB1 export.

Ozzy I haven't really played enough to pick out a favorite, beyond the RB3 on-disc "Crazy Train." I can say the Black Sabbath covers available as DLC are pretty decent as far as covers go, so you may want to check them out also.
    Bob Marley there is something good for drummers ?
    Enjoyment of Bob Marley largely depends on how much you like listening to the music while you're playing. The drum charts by themselves are pretty easy and repetitive. For some players (like me), that lets you get into a groove and just let the music flow, but for players looking for a raw challenge, it can get boring.
    edited May 2013
    A very nice answer ... :) :) :)

I make a list and every detail is important so continue, don't be shy and tell us what's the best drummers songs .... I "accept" all style except black metal/death metal, very violent songs ...
    I'm too old to listen that now :)

Thanks !
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Don't forget RBN!

Freespirit songs for some Rock :)
    Also, Kaipa is a good prog-rock song for drums.
    edited May 2013
    Yes but like I said between 2005 and now, I didnt know any new artist ...

And there are so many songs to buy in the regular store ...
  • machetemonkeymachetemonkey Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    FujiSkunk;5013881 said:

Among Judas Priest tracks, "You Got Another Thing Comin'" is my favorite, but "Screaming for Vengeance" may offer the best balance between difficulty and fun. "The Hellion / Electric Eye" is also good.

As for Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Give It Away" is easily both the most fun and the most annoying of their songs. That particular bass-drum pattern gives me a lot of grief, but it feels really good when I finally get it. After four-plus years of drumming in RB, my hold on that pattern still comes and goes. "Give It Away" was on the RB2 disc, but it didn't export. Fortunately it was released available again as DLC. I also like "Dani California," but of course that is an RB1 export.

Enjoyment of Bob Marley largely depends on how much you like listening to the music while you're playing. The drum charts by themselves are pretty easy and repetitive. For some players (like me), that lets you get into a groove and just let the music flow, but for players looking for a raw challenge, it can get boring.

A few notes on these:

Judas Priest charts tend to be pretty lackluster on drums. Some are better than others, but as a drummer there's not a whole lot on tap that you couldn't find anywhere else.

It seems like fujiskunk has an inordinately tough time with Give It Away, because it is FAR from the hardest RHCP song. It's still fun, but sort of middle of the road as far as I'm concerned. Not a bad song to pick up, but not as hard as it's made out to be here, at least relative to a lot of other RHCP songs. Really, as long as you stay away from some of the really down-tempo stuff (I Could Have Lied, for example), RHCP is great for drummers all around.

Bob Marley is actually a lot more interesting than it's made out to be here. Yes, the songs tend to be repetitive and groove focused, but they've got tons of syncopation and quick fills, and actually provide a really good challenge, especially if you like complex rhythms and hihat-snare work. Obviously some of the songs are slower and easier than others, but I would definitely recommend checking out charts, since it's really not just a matter of "buy the song you like to listen to" in this case.

As for other stuff to check out? I know they're not as "classic" as some others, but check out Pearl Jam and the Chinese Democracy album for some fun, mid-difficulty drum charts. If you want to step up the difficulty level, check out the Nothing's Shocking album by Jane's Addiction; that has some of my favorite charts in the game. I'm also surprised at the lack of mention of the Foo Fighters. Yes, they're more alt-rock than classic rock, but the charts are consistently fun mid-tier drumming.

For slightly easier, but still generally fun classic rock tracks, the Creedence Clearwater Revival 12-pack is full of great songs with easy beats and fun fills. Check out Fortunate Son and Heard It Through the Grapevine in particular.

One artist you may not have looked into but actually has some surprisingly fun drum charts is Jimmy Buffett. That three pack is all-round fun for low-tier songs. Same goes for the Siouxsie and the Banshees pack. Those are pretty good low-tier drum songs all around.

I'd check out Space Cowboy and Take the Money and Run by Steve Miller Band. Space Cowboy is pretty hard in parts, but my recommendation is Take the Money and Run. Easily one of my favorite drum charts in the game. The Joker is an iconic song if you want to pick up the whole pack, but not great on drums.

Also really, check out some Grateful Dead. Especially the first pack (although avoid Truckin', as that's such a PITA on drums)
  • Edfan1337Edfan1337 Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    I guess I'll join the bandwagon. :p

The Queen songs are pretty fun on drums, but it really depends on which one, since there are some good and some bad. I recommend Keep Yourself Alive, One Vision, Under Pressure, and Death on Two Legs.

Red Hot Chili Peppers has a good deal of drum songs. I haven't heard most of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, but I know that By the Way, Tell Me Baby, and Snow ((Hey Oh)) are all fun. Pretty tricky, but fun.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet, but EVERY SINGLE RUSH SONG. Neil Peart's drumming is insane to mimic, but extremely fun! There are very few RB artists that are as perfect for drummers as Rush, so get their stuff; you won't regret it.

Styx, Thin Lizzy, Allman Brothers Band, Pearl Jam, Creedence Clearwater Revival (their fast stuff only), and Blue Oyster Cult also have some pretty fun songs for drums, so check them out.

If, however, you're willing to give some newer material a shot, check out Blink-182, My Chemical Romance, Foo Fighters, Rise Against, Silversun Pickups, and All American Rejects. They all have really fun drum songs as well.
  • CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond Unsigned
    edited May 2013
    "China Cat Sunflower" is one of my favorite drum songs, if you're into the Grateful Dead. I'll also agree with a few other people and second Funk #49.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    ilyama999;5013889 said:
    Yes but like I said between 2005 and now, I didnt know any new artist ...
    And there are so many songs to buy in the regular store ...

Which is why I recommended them :)

Prog-Rock : Kapia - In the wake of evolution (10min song) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6En8P7PzmI

80s Style Rock : Freespirit - Shadow of a man : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjdo7aCPVq0

And yes, James Gang Funk #49 should be in your library.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks guys and if we didnt talk about RUSH it's only because I did a thread on this band so I think it's enough for Rush :)
    I will take 4 songs of them !!!

Creedence, which song can I choose ? I already take fortunate son.
    Blink 182 and Styx same question :)

Again thanks for all your answers !
    edited May 2013
    ilyama999;5013951 said:
    Thanks guys and if we didnt talk about RUSH it's only because I did a thread on this band so I think it's enough for Rush :)
    I will take 4 songs of them !!!

Creedence, which song can I choose ? I already take fortunate son.
    Blink 182 and Styx same question :)

Again thanks for all your answers !

CCR tracks
    I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Up Around the Bend
    Travelin Band
    Who'll Stop the Rain

Styx
    Renegade
    Blue Collar Man

Blink 182
    All The Small Things
    Rock Show
    edited May 2013
    Alice in chains song ? I already bought rooster and would

thanks again and again , etc ... :D
    edited May 2013
    ilyama999;5013961 said:
    Alice in chains song ? I already bought rooster and would

thanks again and again , etc ... :D

No excuses
    Heaven Beside you
  • machetemonkeymachetemonkey Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    ClaptonsWig;5013956 said:
    CCR tracks
    I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Up Around the Bend
    Travelin Band
    Who'll Stop the Rain

Styx
    Renegade
    Blue Collar Man

Blink 182
    All The Small Things
    Rock Show

All of these are good choices, but let me make a few notes again (all my opinion, of course).

get Heard it Through the Grapevine if you can only get one CCR track. 12 minutes of awesomeness.

For styx, those are the two best tracks, but honestly the whole Styx/REO pack is great.

As for Blink 182, honestly these tracks are less interesting in my opinion. Adam's Song, Feeling This, and Down are my favorites as far as drum charts, since they're a lot more interesting than the standard pop-punk rock beat that the two suggested songs have.
    edited May 2013
    For the Who, 'who are you' and 'going mobile" ?

Nirvana ? I already have smells like ...

Thanks !
  • edited May 2013
    For Nirvana, Breed is cool.
    edited May 2013
    Iron maiden, the number of the beast it's good choice ?

Ok for nirvana :)

The doors ? (I've roadhouse blues and peace frog)
    LA woman ?

Thanks !!!!!!!
  • PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Here are some of my personal favorites:

I'd strongly suggest everything by Jimi Hendrix Experience, Clash, Rush, Doors, Iron Maiden.

Some packs are tougher than others but all are pretty varied, ton of fun.

If you cannot afford all packs here are few picks:

JHE - Purple Haze, If 6 was 9, Spanish Castle Magic, Hey Joe, Are you Experienced, Little Miss Lover, All Along the Watchtower.

Clash - London Calling, Clampdown, Rudie Can't Fail, Rock the Casbah, I Fought the Law.

Doors - Light My Fire, L.A. Woman, Peace Frog, Touch Me.

Rush - YYZ, Red Barchetta, Working Man, Subdivisions, 2112.

Iron Maiden - The Trooper, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Aces High, Infinite Dreams, Flight of Icarus, Phantom of the Opera.

Consider Black Sabbath pack, fantastic drum pack (going to see them live this august, the Reunion Tour!).

If you like funky drumming, Red Hot Chilli Peppers will get you covered.

Ton of fantastic tracks out there.