Getting new pedal for my RB2 drum - Wich Kickpad works with it ?

JackStrapsJackStraps Opening Act
edited May 2013 in Rock Band
I was reading this thread:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228442&p=4678244&viewfull=1#post4678244

In particular the suggestion from Doc_Socal to use a Yamaha KP65 Kick Trigger Pad. It seems that local shop don't have it AND rockbandkickbox.com don't deliver this item in Canada( where i live) they ship U.S. only.

So i was wondering which other one can work with my RB2 Drum ?
Here is what i can get get locally:

Alesis DMPAD
OR
Gibraltar GBDP
OR
Alesis StealhKick
OR
Roland KD-8

So here my questions:
Could those above will work ?
Do you know other that works ?
In any case, do i need the KickWire (from rockbandkickbox.com) to go with any of these models ?

Thx in advance

Jack

Comments

• whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited May 2013
    Any of those will work but you'll need either a KickWire or KickBox.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited May 2013
    whypick1;5015694 said:
    Any of those will work but you'll need either a KickWire or KickBox.

This. I have the HH+Kickbox (It allows you to add another pedal for hi-hat functionality...more expensive but I love the thing) along with a KP 65. Amazon has one for about $60 US. But that's on their US site and I didn't see anything on amazon.ca.

The important part is the Kickbox, since it translates the signal from the kick trigger into something that the Rock Band drum hardware can understand. The only functionality you lose is being able to hold down the pedal in order to switch categories. You can still use it that way, you just jump to the next one each time the trigger sends a signal to the drums. It's a very minor loss of functionality...and I FRIGGING ADORE how much more responsive a physical beater striking something is than the stock "pedal". I've broken three of them and said, "screw it!"

Happy drumming!
  • JackStrapsJackStraps Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    NOT_Travis;5015701 said:

The important part is the Kickbox, since it translates the signal from the kick trigger into something that the Rock Band drum hardware can understand. The only functionality you lose is being able to hold down the pedal in order to switch categories.
    Thx for the quick replies guys !

Just to make it clear, the kickwire or the kickbox is the translator and the kickbox add the menu functionality and the kickwire add nothing more, is that right ?

Is the Kickbox/Kickwire only option available or there is other ? as an example can the kickwire can be replace by some vanilla wire 1/4 to 1/8 or does the kickwire add more so no substitut ?
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited May 2013
    JackStraps;5015712 said:
    Just to make it clear, the kickwire or the kickbox is the translator and the kickbox add the menu functionality and the kickwire add nothing more, is that right ?
    Yes, sort of. Unless you're talking about the menu functionality REMOVAL that I mentioned earlier, no.
    Is the Kickbox/Kickwire only option available or there is other ? as an example can the kickwire can be replace by some vanilla wire 1/4 to 1/8 or does the kickwire add more so no substitut ?

Yes, no, and yes, in that order. There is a different type of signal that's expected by the stock RB drum hardware than what a kick trigger outputs. The circuitry in the KickBox/KickWire does do the translation, you have that part right. How it works, I don't know, I'm not an electrical engineer. :)

That being said, there was a "double bass adapter" that was sold for stock RB kits in order to allow you to plug in two stock bass pedals but it was clunky at best. I tried it for Guitar Hero: Metallica and it was, to put it kindly, a fiasco. It barely worked, especially badly for very quick double bass drum hits.

If this doesn't clarify, please let me know and I'll try to put it another (better for you) way.
  • JackStrapsJackStraps Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    NOT_Travis;5015739 said:

There is a different type of signal that's expected by the stock RB drum hardware than what a kick trigger outputs. The circuitry in the KickBox/KickWire does do the translation, you have that part right.

If this doesn't clarify, please let me know and I'll try to put it another (better for you) way.

It sounds clear to me i can buy any of the KickPad trigger i mention and i MUST have a KickWire OR a Kickbox to talk to my RB2 Drum :)

I'm really excited about this setup, it's been a long time since i wish i had a real drum pedal, because lets say that i put a lot of "passion" in my drumming (read a lot of muscle :D ) so now my stock RB pedal has more DuckTape/ repair's metal parts than orign's parts !!