Vocals: Cannot hit really low notes at all.

TheParkerBros360TheParkerBros360 Unsigned
edited May 2013 in Rock Band
edit:
I discovered that the notes that were giving me trouble were Bass notes and below my vocal range.
Simply put I will have to shift an octave up to hit them. No other way.

Here is a chart of my Modal Range and my Full Range (includes full Head Voice).
Make your own by downloading the image and using a bucket to fill in colors.

--------------------
Walking On The Sun
You might as well be walking on the sun.

Good Vibrations
I'm pickin' up good vibrations.
She's giving me excitations.

I can't hit almost anything in Low Rider.

I'm using this mic.

I can't get the dial to move down past a certain point.
I'm trying to sing in the original octave.

Any remedies?

Comments

• Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2013
    Practice.

And let's face it, we can't all be basses. Just do the best you can. :)
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2013
    Basically what Law says. Just like I'll never be able to sing Bon Jovi without falsetto, you'll probably never be able to manage the low notes in their natural octave without a lot of practice or, if that doesn't work, vocal cord surgery*.

*Vocal cord surgery not recommended at all.
  • TheParkerBros360TheParkerBros360 Unsigned
    edited May 2013
    I'm trying to understand if it's my vocal limitation or if it's some outside force.

I can FC White Wedding.

B2 D3 E3 F3♯ F3♯ B2 D3 B2 (F3♯ E3)
    Hey lit- tle sis- ter what have you done?

Is B2 not bass?

I can't tell where the cutoff pitch for me is.

Anyone know that the pitch is on "ex- ci- tations" is?
    edit:
    G2 A2 C2 D2
    ex ci ta tions

Hmm... maybe B2 is my cutoff.

I still should be able to hit the "ta tions" which I can't.
    Frustrating.
  • JackStrapsJackStraps Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    First of all, when i can't get those HIgh or low notes i always remember what a professional singer said herself: "You cannot sing ALL songs, to each his own voice"

That being said, one thing i've learn (somewhere in another thread) is if you can't get the originally octave you can get one higher (in case like Walking On The Sun / Low Rider) or one lower (in case like You Give Love A Bad Name )

It works for me, and the first time i tried it it was weird but after a couple of tries you can get the hang of it. As a result, i no longer sing like a Falsetto on any song form Def Leppard and Bon Jovi and it feel great :)
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited May 2013
    White Wedding doesn't go anywhere close to the low notes of Walking on the Sun, Good Vibrations, and Low Rider.

Hell even I struggle with singing Low Rider in the original octave. I can barely do it, and I can usually sing any low vocal song in the game sans I Walk the Line.

The notes you are trying to reach are Bass/Low Baritone range stuff which you should probably just octave shift. I octave shift down on many songs that are just too high for me to sing.

Good Vibrations is also just plain hard to make out the pitches when you are just learning the song too. So just practice that one more.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I'm thinking that I have no Bass range at all.
    Bass would include E2-G2 which I cannot hit at all.

My vocal range is probably Baritone (B2, sometimes A2) to Mezzo-Soprano (F5, sometimes G5) because I can I sing all of the high parts in Good Vibrations and hit the scream in Master Exploder a F5#

I have FC'ed Master Exploder in the original octaves, so I am at least B2 to F5#.

I'm only describing pitches I can hit, not sing well. :p
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    I'm a bass and even I have trouble sometimes getting the pitch right in Low Rider. ;) Those low notes are probably unreachable for most mid-baritones and tenors.
    edited May 2013
    Icemage;5016145 said:
    I'm a bass and even I have trouble sometimes getting the pitch right in Low Rider. ;) Those low notes are probably unreachable for most mid-baritones and tenors.
    So what was the reasoning behind giving Low Rider a 1 star difficulty rating? :confused:
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited May 2013
    TheParkerBros360;5016146 said:
    So what was the reasoning behind giving Low Rider a 1 star difficulty rating? :confused:

Because of its narrow range and small number of repeated riffs. Sure it's full of low notes, but it is very easy for most singers to master, even if they have to shift an octave to do so.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    If you're anything like me, and according to your scores, you are, but better.
    You probably may never make it further. Sorry, but since we perform similarly, maybe you'll just repeat me. Look, we do similarly as bad on Low Rider, yet both do well on Lasso and Foolin'. You can actually score on Walking on the Sun and Werewolves of London, so you're not doing too bad.

Probably the most useful tip I can offer is to use the comfortable high range you can hit, then go higher for the low notes. It seems to work more often.

At this point, just try and have fun and forget score. 2 or 3 problem songs is nothing compared to your catalog.
  • kundekunde Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    Low Rider is my worst nightmare. I can beat good vibrations, can't say the same for Low freaking Rider.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    In case you didn't know, you can sing in whatever octave you want, so you can sing higher if it doesn't work for you.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2013
    He knew that; pre-edit he mentioned wanting to try and sing in the original octave. I try to do the same to little effect.
    edited May 2013
    Alternity;5017064 said:
    In case you didn't know, you can sing in whatever octave you want, so you can sing higher if it doesn't work for you.
    Yea I knew this but thanks for letting me know anyways!
    LoopyChew;5017091 said:
    He knew that; pre-edit he mentioned wanting to try and sing in the original octave. I try to do the same to little effect.

One of the most fun aspects I find in singing in Rockband is trying to sing every song I can in the original octave. This lets me push the boundary of my voice and better my vocals.

I like it when I can scream the F5# in Master Exploder and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy. Whenever my friends sing, they just whisper it in a F4#.

I'm almost fully now in a state of "I don't give a fack" when it comes to singing songs. Others try to whisper or mumble because they are afraid they will be judged. I can now just choose any song I want and sing it, fully and loudly.
    StackOverflow0x;5016819 said:
    If you're anything like me, and according to your scores, you are, but better.
    You probably may never make it further. Sorry, but since we perform similarly, maybe you'll just repeat me. Look, we do similarly as bad on Low Rider, yet both do well on Lasso and Foolin'. You can actually score on Walking on the Sun and Werewolves of London, so you're not doing too bad.

Probably the most useful tip I can offer is to use the comfortable high range you can hit, then go higher for the low notes. It seems to work more often.

At this point, just try and have fun and forget score. 2 or 3 problem songs is nothing compared to your catalog.
    Yep.

My edit on the first page has the answer I was looking for.

I was singing Baritone songs like White Wedding thinking I was singing Bass. So I thought the mic was just screwed up. Turns out they aren't bass songs and so the reason I was failing Low Rider and the chorus in Good Vibrations is because the singers in those songs are bass singers. I cannot sing Bass and I realize this now.

For those couple of bass songs / parts I will need to octave shift.

I despise octave shifting but if it is the only way for me to hit a note, then so be it.