Xbox One

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited May 2013
    ClaptonsWig;5016588 said:
    Your opinion.

Hello, Pizzza.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited May 2013
    Are you two dummies gonna start brawling?
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Wittikiss;5016521 said:
    Putting these features in an expensive device means a family will have most likely only one and a constant fight over who can watch their shows saved to the Xbox, who can play games, or who can surf the internet.

Now that I think about it, if it could act as a DVR and record shows while you're playing games, that could be useful. If it could record multiple shows at once like some DVRs can, even better. If it can't do either of those, then I don't see the use.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2013
    Dadasaurus Rex;5016590 said:
    Are you two dummies gonna start brawling?

I'm hoping he knows I'll say things just to get a rise out of him.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2013
    bigmf;5016535 said:
    I think this has been the most disastrous new console announcement I've seen. They should have addressed the mandatory internet connection issue, mandatory kinect usage, no game trading and even backwards compatibility. They didn't do it. They let it all seep out of various channels after their event.

Why the Bloody Mary would you spend time during your hardware reveal presentation pointing out the negatives of your product?

The post-presentation media questions are when more difficult answers are supposed to be revealed. I'm gonna have some trouble selling a vacuum if I let the potential buyers know it has issues with thicker carpet before they've made a purchase, and I'm not gonna point out that I am not a morning person or that I'm most interested in pay during a job interview

Is it underhanded? Sure, but nothing would ever get done if everything was prefaced with a positive/negative list
    edited May 2013
    HeyRiles;5016622 said:
    Why the Bloody Mary would you spend time during your hardware reveal presentation pointing out the negatives of your product?

whether you, as a company, view these things as negative or not those are the things you talk about to press afterwards and not during a PC where you have limited time, which they ended up going over on anyway.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2013
    Damn it, Riles! Does your vacuum do shaggy carpets or not? Stop with the double talk!
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited May 2013
    HeyRiles;5016622 said:

So you don't have them leak out in a pathetic disjointed manner all over the internet after the fact. So they can try to put some positive perspective on each of them. So they can be prepared for the questions and deliver a single unified message on each of them. So they can control the marketing message, rather than engaging in desperate firefights. And finally to clear the negatives out of the way so they can focus on the positives going into E3.
    edited May 2013
    I can't find the article but the response to the "always online" issue by one of the MS execs yesterday exemplifies their incompetence.

"It doesn't have to always be online as long as it's connected to the internet"

When you're tweeting stuff like that, you've dropped the ball.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Yes, you can use your disc to install the game on another XBone. And you can play it, while you're visiting your friend, if you log into your own account from there. And then, if they like it, they can buy it too, and it will be already installed on their machine!

Hey, that's "sort of" how it works now, right? Install once. Insert disc [now] / Log nto your account [XBone] to play. Take back the disc, it stays installed there, there's just no way your friend can play. Unless you lend out your disc [now] / password [XBone].

Or, since ALL titles will be available on disc and via download, your friend could download a demo for free, and then buy it if they liked it. Having the disc just saves them download time, like if they still have DSL.

And your computer doesn't have to be connected to the internet every second ... just, like, most seconds. Just like with your cell phone! Don't have access to a cell phone signal, or don't want to be connected to your wireless provider all the time? Well then, don't buy a cell phone, it's going to be worthless to you. Same thing appllies here. Can't get / don't want to get linked to the internet? Well then, the XBone is not for you.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/phil-harrison-xbox-one/
    edited May 2013
    bigmf;5016627 said:
    So you don't have them leak out in a pathetic disjointed manner all over the internet after the fact. So they can try to put some positive perspective on each of them. So they can be prepared for the questions and deliver a single unified message on each of them. So they can control the marketing message, rather than engaging in desperate firefights. And finally to clear the negatives out of the way so they can focus on the positives going into E3.

It's like they knew that the details would cause outrage if they laid them out plainly in their widely-viewed press conference. I am guessing that they figured it was better for people to hear the details 2nd hand or 3rd hand over the next few days. Maybe it's easier for people to go through the stages of grief that way?
    edited May 2013
    Meat-Popsicle;5016632 said:
    It's like they knew that the details would cause outrage if they laid them out plainly in their widely-viewed press conference. I am guessing that they figured it was better for people to hear the details 2nd hand or 3rd hand over the next few days. Maybe it's easier for people to go through the stages of grief that way?

I'm not overly set on the idea of putting it in the presentation, I just feel that would be the most effective way to control the message. They could also do it in the post-show questions and interviews and such, but they needed to have a direct answer for each. It's also important that the message be consistent, which it wasn't with Phil Harrison being contradicted by twitter techs and other faceless whasnames in Microsoft.
    edited May 2013
    Lawdog1521;5016629 said:
    I can't find the article but the response to the "always online" issue by one of the MS execs yesterday exemplifies their incompetence.

"It doesn't have to always be online as long as it's connected to the internet"

When you're tweeting stuff like that, you've dropped the ball.

So it'll be in sleep mode, and then wake up every once in a while to check for updates?
    That way, it's only online for a few seconds / minutes each day. But it has to be able to get on the internet at any moment. So that's a technically factual statement: not always online, must always be conneced to the internet. But why not state it more clearly than that?

Oh, because the first time they put it clearly, it came out like this:

"Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an "always on" console. Every device is "always on". That's the world we live in. #dealwithit"

"Those people should definitely get with the times and get the internet. It's awesome."

"Sometimes the electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner. The mobile reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone."

The details remain unchanged: yes, you have to be connected to the internet while you are using it. Don't have the internet in your house? Um, well, now you have a reason to get it, so you can use our awesome machine. Don't want to be connected all the time? Uh, then why are you even talking to me, you Luddite? Go read a book and quit bothering me.

Seriously, does anyone ever walk into an AT&T store and ask to see the phones that don't require a mobile plan to use? Or to a Comcast branch and ask to see the cable boxes that work just fine without a cable plan? I'm certain that's what the folks at MS are thinking. The XBone is a phone, and a cable box, and, oh yeah, a game machine, of so COURSE it needs to be "connected" to work.
    edited May 2013
    If it's a game machine you certainly couldn't tell from what they showed yesterday. No gameplay was shown.
  • WittikissWittikiss Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Well since the Kinect has to be always attached for the system to work and it will read your facial expressions as you play games. I'm going to refer to it as the Big brother box. And ruin my age old tradition of playing nude.
    edited May 2013
    Wittikiss;5016649 said:
    Well since the Kinect has to be always attached for the system to work and it will read your facial expressions as you play games. I'm going to refer to it as the Big brother box. And ruin my age old tradition of playing nude.

You know how they have those directed ads on the internet these days? If the XBox one started delivering ads for penis enlargement products, I'd have to throw the damn thing out.
    edited May 2013
    Wittikiss;5016649 said:

It could be cool is they see you are angry and mute your mic so we dont get any of the racial and homophobic slurs that has been associated with online stuff.

Whats stopping you from still playing naked?
  • GRRRUMBLEGRRRUMBLE Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    Does my mustang pro guitar rockband 3 work as a controller on this box shaped machine?
    Will this do email like webtv?
    Will the skype service use microsoft points cards for payment?
    I expected camera compatability like xd or sd card slot. I also expected 3d file support to be talked about.
    My guess is that spying on homes , listening and lurking was the priority.
    They talked about lifelike , I don't play shootem up style games. If I laid my tv down on a desk and plugged the new one in then played a lifelike game of pinball , then it is good to be lifelike.
    It is hard to use one in a sentence to refer to this as above " plugged the new one in " . One as the items name passed the suggestion phase and the board and theceo approval stages , the pre reveal hype through to the , the one the one and only one , it is the one .
    Boxy one or as others said xbone connected.
    I also thought that family that spent on dlc for family and now one is off to college , that student would have access to family purchased dlc .
    edited May 2013
    It will count the number of people in the room and charge you extra if you rent a movie and exceed the "viewer limit".

I am not making this up. Well, sort of: this came out last year, and as I remember it, Microsoft never came close to putting it into action. But with the new device? Maybe!

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/microsoft-diskinect-freeloading-tv-viewers/
    edited May 2013
    GRRRUMBLE;5016659 said:
    Does my mustang pro guitar rockband 3 work as a controller on this box shaped machine?
    Will this do email like webtv?
    Will the skype service use microsoft points cards for payment?
    I expected camera compatability like xd or sd card slot. I also expected 3d file support to be talked about.
    My guess is that spying on homes , listening and lurking was the priority.
    They talked about lifelike , I don't play shootem up style games. If I laid my tv down on a desk and plugged the new one in then played a lifelike game of pinball , then it is good to be lifelike.
    It is hard to use one in a sentence to refer to this as above " plugged the new one in " . One as the items name passed the suggestion phase and the board and theceo approval stages , the pre reveal hype through to the , the one the one and only one , it is the one .
    Boxy one or as others said xbone connected.
    I also thought that family that spent on dlc for family and now one is off to college , that student would have access to family purchased dlc .

Is any of this post in english?
    edited May 2013
    GRRRUMBLE;5016659 said:
    If I laid my tv down on a desk and plugged the new one in then played a lifelike game of pinball , then it is good to be lifelike.

I would pay a lot of money for a pinball emulator that allowed me to use my TV while it's placed in a vertical orientation. Though I would then also need to pay a lot of money for some sort of mount that would let me rotate the TV easily.
    edited May 2013
    The latest quote from MS about backwards compatibility...
    If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards
    It's like Ryan now works for Microsoft. :p
  • GRRRUMBLEGRRRUMBLE Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    www1221;5016662 said:
    Is any of this post in english?
    All of it is .You got some little problem with me saying something on this subject.
    You have a blocking posts available to you. I'm gonna be in 4 cities tommorrow ft lauderdale toronto atlanta and austin .
    It is rare for me to get gaming time or forum time .
  • edited May 2013
    You can never go wrong with a Dog in your squad.

Weak launch P.C.

Looking forward to E3. Just have to weasel my credentials... :P
    edited May 2013
    bigmf;5016627 said:

I still don't understand - why would you tell people the weaknesses and drawbacks of your product before you talked about the positives and the things people want to hear? The point is, as most everything when trying to sell a product or service, is to make a good first impression on what you're trying to get people to buy into

A marketing method like that seems extremely XBoneheaded
    edited May 2013
    HeyRiles;5016673 said:
    I still don't understand - why would you tell people the weaknesses and drawbacks of your product before you talked about the positives and the things people want to hear? The point is, as most everything when trying to sell a product or service, is to make a good first impression on what you're trying to get people to buy into

A marketing method like that seems extremely XBoneheaded

Doing it before talking about the positives would be stupid. Explaining these new "features" concurrently with the positive and explaining why they are necessary to bring the positives, would be far better than what was done.

Honesty in marketing has had a number of noteworthy successes; obfuscation has had few.
    edited May 2013
    I think it's been pretty clear so far that none of these PR dudes have an answer yet for any 'why' question

It seems to me that they made these announcements, have been fielding questions and giving non-answers to a small sample size, and then telling people all their questions will be answered at E3 as they come up with the justification of their hardware and network decisions. Which, that's fine, their whole prE3 thing seemed rushed anyway in the face of PS4 info being leaked and at this moment in time I don't feel like it was a completely necessary press conference to have, but we'll have to hold judgement on how we feel about the entire XBone generation until they have their E3 proper announcement, where I assume they will focus primarily on these 15 announced exclusives and have all kinds of dudes in polos and jeans standing in front of a crowd trying to talk and play a video game at the same time
    edited May 2013
    Lawdog1521;5016668 said:
    It's like Ryan now works for Microsoft. :p

But I said they should have BC!
    edited May 2013
    I meant it just sounds like something you would say. :p
    edited May 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5016672 said:
    You can never go wrong with a Dog in your squad.

Weak launch P.C.

Looking forward to E3. Just have to weasel my credentials... :P
    I plan on just flashing my wallet real fast and yelling, "It's okay! I'm a limo driver!"