Xbox One

Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
edited June 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
I figured we needed an official thread. And after today's presser... I figured I'd try to say something nice about MS's new $400 remote control.

So... it's shiny.

- It WONT function without a kinect sensor attached.
- There will be 15 Exclusive IP's released in the first year. 8 are completely new
- The Xbox ones power can grow over time with cloud computing.
- Gamerscores, Avatars and profile information WILL carry over to next gen.
- It WONT be backwards compatible.
- Here's a list of confirmed games
- It WONT require a constant internet connection

Thanks to Munnchy for the update. (Even though now I'll be expected to update when new stuff comes out)

- Zavvi have given an initial price point of £400 with a release date of 30th November in the UK, although that hasn't been confirmed yet.
- Used games CAN be used, without an additional fee.
- There may be mandatory game installs
- CoD dlc will, once again, be exclusive to the Xbox for a limited time (BIG shock there!)

Comments

• MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    You had to do this, didn't you dog?....

Well here are some confirmed news pieces, if you wanna update the OP:

- It WONT function without a kinect sensor attached.
    - There will be 15 Exclusive IP's released in the first year. 8 are completely new
    - The Xbox ones power can grow over time with cloud computing.
    - Gamerscores, Avatars and profile information WILL carry over to next gen.
    - It WONT be backwards compatible.
    - Here's a list of confirmed games
    - It WONT require a constant internet connection
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2013
    And how am I not shocked people are most angry over no backwards compatibility?

Taking into account all the crap XBox announced today, you shouldn't even be thinking about dumping your 360 now anyway and no BC should be at the very bottom of your complaints.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    OsagaRockHero;5016315 said:
    X1
    +1
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2013
    You know, this whole "doesn't need to be always on" thing is questionable. If it won't play used games, how will it know without an internet connection?

I'm guessing MS is playing semantics. It won't be "always" on but "mostly" on.
    edited May 2013
    More info dog. Sorry :(

- Zavvi have given an initial price point of £400 with a release date of 30th November in the UK, although that hasn't been confirmed yet.
    - There may be mandatory game installs
    - CoD dlc will, once again, be exclusive to the Xbox for a limited time (BIG shock there!)
  • WittikissWittikiss Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Munnchy;5016354 said:

Wait what? Then what is the instillation fee? Is it only penalizing gamers who bring it to different systems and bought it legally to begin with?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited May 2013
    Lawdog1521;5016353 said:
    You know, this whole "doesn't need to be always on" thing is questionable. If it won't play used games, how will it know without an internet connection?

99% online isn't always online.
    you only have to be online to play games, watch TV and brush your teeth. you can still stare at your xbox without it being online though
    edited May 2013
    Wittikiss;5016356 said:
    Wait what? Then what is the instillation fee? Is it only penalizing gamers who bring it to different systems and bought it legally to begin with?

I have no idea. Xbox Support on twitter put this up fairly recently
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited May 2013
    Lawdog1521;5016353 said:

It also has the integration with Microsoft Azure, which is their cloud computing thingy. So the console doesn't always need to be connected to the internet, in the same way the console doesn't always need to be connected to an electricity outlet.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2013
    Azure works for MS now!?!

Does she work there from space?
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    -No backwards compatibility is more reason to just stick with the 360.
    -Kinect requirement seems arbitrary at best, creepy and anti-consumer at worst.
    -Why is their third console called Xbox One?
    edited May 2013
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited May 2013
    DavidTLynchEsq;5016384 said:
    -Why is their third console called Xbox One?
    Its the ONE box that does everything.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited May 2013
    Munnchy;5016396 said:
    So new news... Apparently you'll be able to sell and trade your games online with the new xbox.... Huh...

Full price... I guess the kids aren't going to be taking discs over to friends' houses for the birthday sleepovers anymore.
    edited May 2013
    OK can anybody tell me what compelled Madden to stop using the year and just go with Madden 25?
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2013
    Wittikiss;5016408 said:
    OK can anybody tell me what compelled Madden to stop using the year and just go with Madden 25?
    It's supposed to be 25th overall Madden game so I guess they view it as a milestone and called the game that. Next year they'll most likely go back to the year.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2013
    Mandatory Kinect is pretty stupid, as it's likely going to jack up the price of the console and it's going to gimmick up games in ways that aren't necessary, such as the majority of the Wii and WiiU library

The idea of installing your games before playing also seems stupid at first glance, but after some more reading I believe what you actually install is nothing more than just the license to play the game. Personally I don't see any external HDD that can store a bunch of games, so I'm pretty sure the majority of DLC and save files will be stored in a cloud service (which I personally think is a terrible, terrible idea)
    Marlboro;5016288 said:
    What's the abbreviation gonna be?
    XBone
    Mega-Tallica;5016344 said:
    And how am I not shocked people are most angry over no backwards compatibility?
    They really shouldn't be, there aren't many 360 users that would be cool with redownloading all of their crap from one HD to another. My guess is that they'll be utilizing cloud storage in the near future to save all your Xbox and 360 content
    Wittikiss;5016356 said:
    I'm guessing buying 'used' is saying you can purchase used games through your XBone from other gamers who have sold their rights to play the game away. No idea if they will be sold at a reduced price, though, or if they will use the market-style selling that has become popular in Diablo III and Steam, where Microsoft receives 15% of the commission
    Wittikiss;5016408 said:

It's the 25th anniversary of Madden games
    edited May 2013
    HeyRiles;5016413 said:
    I'm guessing buying 'used' is saying you can purchase used games through your XBone from other gamers who have sold their rights to play the game away. No idea if they will be sold at a reduced price, though, or if they will use the market-style selling that has become popular in Diablo III and Steam, where Microsoft receives 15% of the commission

That makes sense for a used DLC standpoint, but not an actual physical software... Unless the game simply acts as a key and the games have to be downloaded to the console to play. Which with their full price activation thing going on, that would make sense.
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing. Like I said earlier the disc itself functions as an activation code for the software. I don't believe the disc itself will contain any data other than the code and license to play the game (which would mean the game itself would utilize cloud mechanics), so when the authorization code is used, the disc is used. From there, I guess the plan would be to trade/sell the license/authorization code from account to account, and the disc and case is sort of nothing more than a collectible novelty

That's just my speculation based on the bits and pieces I've read, though
  • edited May 2013
    I don't know, to me this just confirms the "curse" of winning a gen's console war... you become overconfident in the next gen and make stupid/unpopular design choices. (Lots of historical examples of this... PS2 -> PS3 being the most recent)

For a gaming console I sure see a lot of talk and features which aren't related to games. I understand Microsoft is trying to break into the living room with this combined TV/PC experience, but I don't value this integrated experience they are pushing.

Obviously first impressions are incomplete at best, but I didn't hear anything compelling that is going to make me a day 1 buyer.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2013
    www1221;5016419 said:

but you still need to be signed into your profile, which means waiting for it to download to your friends xbox... and you can't let friends borrow games
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited May 2013
    firedoom666;5016420 said:
    but you still need to be signed into your profile, which means waiting for it to download to your friends xbox... and you can't let friends borrow games

They can borrow your games just have to pay the fee which will probably be the same as the online passes. If $10 is too expensive for you maybe video games shouldnt be your top priority. If the fee is full price then yeah thatll suck
  • OsagaRockHeroOsagaRockHero Still Disappointed
    edited May 2013
    Wittikiss;5016408 said:

Haven't you heard? It's the year 2025 now!
    edited May 2013
    firedoom666;5016420 said:
    Downloading a new profile takes virtually no time at all now, even on the current 360, thanks to cloud services
    www1221;5016421 said:
    They can borrow your games just have to pay the fee which will probably be the same as the online passes. If $10 is too expensive for you maybe video games shouldnt be your top priority. If the fee is full price then yeah thatll suck

It is full price, they have confirmed that bringing the same disc to a different console with a different Gamertag will treat the disc as brand new
    www1221;5016421 said:
    If $10 is too expensive for you maybe video games shouldnt be your top priority.

You're such an incorrigible piece of bologna. Stop being such a buntzhole
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2013
    HeyRiles;5016425 said:
    Downloading a new profile takes virtually no time at all now, even on the current 360, thanks to cloud services

oh it is that quick now? I have not downloaded it to a different console for a very long time, I remember it taking a long time back then but that could of been for different reasons
    www1221;5016421 said:
    I got to agree with HeyRiles here... You're such an incorrigible piece of bologna. Stop being such a buntzhole
  • OsagaRockHeroOsagaRockHero Still Disappointed
    edited May 2013
    www1221;5016421 said:
    If $10 is too expensive for you maybe video games shouldnt be your top priority.

Hey, did you hear that the new Rock Band game is going to have mandatory DLC that needs to be bought, but you can only use it for a limited time?
    edited May 2013
    OsagaRockHero;5016428 said:
    Hey, did you hear that the new Rock Band game is going to have mandatory DLC that needs to be bought, but you can only use it for a limited time?

You really need to stop making Rock Band your top priority here
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited May 2013
    Looks like I'm getting a PS4. I want a game console. Not a motion and voice controlled novelty item.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2013
    DerLindwurm;5016448 said:
    Looks like I'm getting a PS4. I want a game console. Not a video and voice controlled novelty item.

Agreed, good thing I still have my core PS3 friends