"Fantasia: Music Evolved" Xbox One and Xbox 360 Kinect Game Revealed

BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
edited October 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
I was scrolling through my facebook news feed when I chanced upon this post from the Rock Band facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RockBand/posts/10151763409490209
Harmonix (creators of Rock Band) will be announcing a new game tomorrow! It’s not a Rock Band or Dance Central title – it’s a new project that we’re psyched to tell you about! Keep posted to Harmonix Facebook and Twitter (twitter.com/harmonix) accounts for the news.
Now, I fell out of the Rock Band loop and community a while back, but this has piqued my interest.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited June 2013
    www1221;5019288 said:
    1. 10 people on these forums and facebook does not equal everybody
    2. I bet you the money in my wallet that its Rock Band 4

Yeah right bruter. I counted 11
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited June 2013
    I'm looking forward to whatever the announcement is, even if whatever the game is, it most likely wont be of much interest to me (no offense HMX, it's because I don't like most (read: "any") games not named "Rock Band".

I still hope the game is successful by all measures as I want to see HMX continue to reap the rewards of being a top tier developer. I'm interested in seeing what (if any) DLC model they have in store for it, since they basically wrote the book on how to do that properly.

I'm also looking forward to what other future announcements they have in store (didn't I read along the way that they were working on multiple projects, and this is just the first?).

I'm also hoping that the next gen consoles are massive failures as gaming machines, in the sense that developers are better off continuing to make content for the current gen (which obviously is just as good a gaming platform as the next gen, seeing as Sony and MS are more interested in touting everything else they do over any advancements in gaming capabilities).

And finally, I look forward to the day when HMX has a chance to catch their collective breath and re-energize the rock band world with a restart of regular DLC.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2013
    www1221;5019288 said:
    1. 10 people on these forums and facebook does not equal everybody
    2. I bet you the money in my wallet that its Rock Band 4

Year old condom betting I see, I'll take that bet
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited June 2013
    I just hope it isn't some cop-out FPS that sets itself in an endless sea of brown and contains such "innovations" as jumping and enemy AI functioning based on your actions.
    edited June 2013
    If it's a kinect game I'm gonna hang myself with my on brown streak underwear dude.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2013
    Hogan2000;5019298 said:
    If it's a kinect game I'm gonna hang myself with my on brown streak underwear dude.

Of watch what you say, we lost a cat in the ban thread no thanks to Dog
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    BachiG;5019291 said:
    I'm looking forward to whatever the announcement is, even if whatever the game is, it most likely wont be of much interest to me (no offense HMX, it's because I don't like most (read: "any") games not named "Rock Band".

I still hope the game is successful by all measures as I want to see HMX continue to reap the rewards of being a top tier developer. I'm interested in seeing what (if any) DLC model they have in store for it, since they basically wrote the book on how to do that properly.

I'm also looking forward to what other future announcements they have in store (didn't I read along the way that they were working on multiple projects, and this is just the first?).

I'm also hoping that the next gen consoles are massive failures as gaming machines, in the sense that developers are better off continuing to make content for the current gen (which obviously is just as good a gaming platform as the next gen, seeing as Sony and MS are more interested in touting everything else they do over any advancements in gaming capabilities).

And finally, I look forward to the day when HMX has a chance to catch their collective breath and re-energize the rock band world with a restart of regular DLC.
    -- The next game is not Rock Band or Dance Central related, according to the Twitter announcement.

-- Harmonix has three titles in development and this is the first of those three to have more details released.

-- Harmonix has always maintained the pipeline is still there to release DLC, when (and if) they decide to.

Tomorrow's announcement is expected at around 9 a.m., Eastern time.
    edited June 2013
    The heck with what Harmonix has to say bruther

We have Plants vs Zombies 2 coming July 18th. My year is complete
  • kriskokrisko Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    My interest in PvZ2 flopped after I read that it will be a freemium game. I hate freemium games so much because you end up trying to find ways around the paywalls than actually having fun with the game.

On that note, I hope that whatever Harmonix comes out with is not a freemium game. I also hope that it gets released on Wii U. Harmonix is the only third party that can force me to buy one of the other next-gen consoles at this point.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    www1221;5019288 said:
    I bet you the money in my wallet that its Rock Band 4
    They've been saying since January that it's not a Rock Band game.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    That's his way of saying he has no bills in his wallet.

Surely some, if not all, of the new Harmonix games will require Kinect, they might even be Xbone exclusives. Didn't they specifically say that / advertise for that kind of programmer? I am steeling myself for the possibility that I won't be able to play any of their new titles, at least not for a while. My next gaming platform might just be an iPad, there are some great board games that play much easier that way.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2013
    Interesting idea. Able to use your movements to change the music. I knew Harmonix was wanting to make a game where players could create music...

I have to admit, I enjoyed Dance Central to a point, but just dancing didn't quite get it for me... However, being able to interact and change the music in some slight way should be pretty darned fun.

So, where are the Fantasia forums?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited June 2013
    I want a demo of this game like now.
    edited June 2013
    Developed with Disney? Nice co-branding, Harmonix! I'm hoping they make a billion dollars on this.

If I have an Xbox 360 by then, I'm sure I'll buy this.

In my vivid imagination, my next neighbor is going to have an Xbox 360 complete with a massive RB library and full set of instruments, and he'll have me over all the time. Or maybe he'll be out of town a lot and will need me to come over regularly and water his plants. In any case, I'll be buying this game for this hypothetical new neighbor in 2014.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    Just watched the trailer and I have no idea what this game is other than another vehicle to tap into the DLC catalog. I'm not hating, I just don't get it. Seriously, please explain what this game is about.
    edited June 2013
    I think I will whip out my super-rare "Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix" disc tonight.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    Those who enjoyed Dance Central might like this, I guess.

Since I'm not going to be buying an Xbox One or Kinect anytime soon, I'll take a pass on this. Good to see they're going after recently released songs, though - Locked Out of Heaven is a great Bruno Mars song I would've loved to see in RB3.

So now we wait for details on the other two titles they have in development.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;5019360 said:
    Just watched the trailer and I have no idea what this game is other than another vehicle to tap into the DLC catalog. I'm not hating, I just don't get it. Seriously, please explain what this game is about.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by tapping into the DLC catalog.

As for how the gameplay works, there are write-ups on various gaming sites that give an idea about it. In a nutshell, you use your gestures to create and modify music. An excerpt from Polygon's article explains in some more detail: "When we entered the portals for these songs, we had to perform gestures to the rhythm of the music by tracing arrows with our body, but we were also able to use a kaleidoscope to decide if we wanted to add a rock, orchestral or brass influence to the song, and use music manipulators to bend, stretch and distort parts of the music."

I'm sure there will be videos in the coming days/weeks that demonstrate the basics of how the gameplay works.
    edited June 2013
    First run of a Rumors and Facts thread... IT needs to be cut down a little and formatted better, but it is a start...

Disney’s Fantasia by Harmonix – Rumors and Facts
    Game
    Kinect exclusive (both 360 and One) - IGN.com June 4
    Trailers
    First trailer: IGN.com’s announcement of game
    Fantasia: Music Evolved

Background
    Walt Disney's 70-year-old Fantasia was always intended to be a sort of evolving experiment. First conceived as a means to popularize art music through cartoon choreography, the movie was meant to keep up with the times through the periodic injection of new material. Every few years, you'd go see the latest version of Fantasia, which would contain a few old elements, but some new segments as well. That vision was derailed by WWII.

Taking its cue from the original film’s “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” piece, the Sorcerer, Yen Sid, has created a multitude of worlds for you, the new apprentice instead of Mickey Mouse, to explore through music. It's a sort of a test he's set for you to see if you're worthy of being his apprentice. – IGN.com – Jun 4 page 2

Disney Interactive approached Harmonix three years ago about the project. "We wanted to create a new experience for Fantasia," says Chris Nicholls, executive producer at Disney Interactive. "Not just take the film and make it interactive so you could dance with hippos, pretend to be a crocodile or fight dinosaurs."

He and the Harmonix team went through an archive of Fantasia production notes and early storyboards searching for core principles to build the game around. The game designers connected with the scene where Mickey is on a mountaintop manipulating the heavens and weather, and with it, the orchestral backdrop.

Thus, in the game "you do reach out and grab music and change it," Sussman says."You take very familiar pieces of music and art and transform it into something very personal."
    USA Today Jun 4

GamePlay
    You play the Sorcerer’s Apprentice. Not Mickey, but you, as the new Apprentice of Yensid. You will “literally don the hat and cape and conduct music into the world,” says Disney executive producer Chris Nicholls. “It’s less about music simulation and more about music creation,” adds Harmonix’s John Drake. - IGN.com June 4

Instead of tapping buttons on the plastic guitar neck or hitting drums in those games, players swipe one or two hands up or down or left to right, based on the on-screen pattern. Other times, you push toward the screen — as if you are wielding the Force — and trace curvy designs. All the while, you are amassing magical energy points, although the designers expect to make the game essentially a no-fail adventure.

At certain points during the songs, you can choose one of three different mixes. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, for instance, had an original mix, an orchestral mix and an '80s heavy-metal ballad mix.

Each decision is reflected through the entirety of the song, resulting in a new mix. Designers plan to let players save and share their mixes with others.

Magical energy is used to further transform the landscapes. In the world called The Shoal, you can unlock a set of clams that come to life as a playable jazz drum set, complete with snare, toms and cymbals. Record a series of notes and the loop plays as part of the score during the rest of the game.

"You as the magician are casting out your energy to great affect and great impact in this world," says Sussman. "The reward basically is to use tools we give you to mold (the game world) in your own image."
    USA Today Jun 4
    At first, as a song starts, you simply match your movements to the bright animations on the screen, moving your hand to the right just as a couple of animated flares cross each other on the screen. But you can also change the mix in the middle of the song, putting more emphasis on a guitar with an extended guitar solo, or shifting the mix toward drums. You effectively wind up with a remixed version of the song, and that makes you feel like you are in control of the song.

I could navigate in three dimensions using my arms, pressing forward into the scene, or moving from side to side. You can make music by tapping objects in the sea or by moving into an object and creating a song. As you play the song, you have to match your movements to the animations that shoot across the sky like fireworks.
    Venture Beat.com Jun 4
    GamesBeat: What element of competition do you want to preserve from your past music games?
    Rigopulos: One layer to the gameplay is what we call Gesture Beat Match. For example, in previous games like Rock Band, you have a prescribed set of rhythmic patterns that you need to play on your controller. In this case, we mapped that basic idea into physical gesture. There are gestures that the players need to perform in rhythmic sync with the music, and they’re scored based on their ability to do that. And then of course there are all the creative layers that are then built on top of that.
    Venture Beat Exclusive Rigopulos Interview June 4

Design
    12 Levels – 25 Songs
    Once you unlock areas in the game, they will be available for arcade and party play. The game designers also plan to have a two-player mode.
    USA Today Jun 4

GamesBeat: What are some of the things that give it this touch of innovation, then?
    Rigopulos: The most important is the creative element. First off all, there’s the fusion of physical motion and musical interaction. Beyond the dance games, this isn’t something that’s been done before. We’re giving players several axes of meaningful musical expression through the gameplay. That’s been a long-time dream of ours, and it’s never been done successfully in music games. - Venture Beat Exclusive Rigopulos Interview June 4

Songs
    • AVICII — “Levels”
    • Bruno Mars — “Locked Out Of Heaven”
    • Fun. — “Some Nights”
    • Kimbra — “Settle Down”
    • Queen — “Bohemian Rhapsody” - Forbes June 4
    You unlock 25-plus songs as you progress through more than one dozen realms – USA Today Jun 4
    There will be licensed music — and quite a lot of it. We have some pretty amazing licensed music in the game. That licensed music will address a wider span of time, because in addition to contemporary hit music and music stretching back to the ’60s, we also go back in centuries. We’ll be incorporating classical music in the game as well as a fusion of musical elements across this entire time span. There’s some level of similarity to games like Rock Band in that, yes, there’s incredible licensed music in the game, but the way that we’re creatively manipulating that content is a whole new dimension.
    DLC
    In terms of the game, yes, we very much view it as a platform. We have big ambitions for expansion content – music, obviously, but also other game elements beyond just music.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    Magnet;5019364 said:
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by tapping into the DLC catalog.

As for how the gameplay works, there are write-ups on various gaming sites that give an idea about it. In a nutshell, you use your gestures to create and modify music. An excerpt from Polygon's article explains in some more detail: "When we entered the portals for these songs, we had to perform gestures to the rhythm of the music by tracing arrows with our body, but we were also able to use a kaleidoscope to decide if we wanted to add a rock, orchestral or brass influence to the song, and use music manipulators to bend, stretch and distort parts of the music."

I'm sure there will be videos in the coming days/weeks that demonstrate the basics of how the gameplay works.

From what I've read the game comes with only 25 songs. I would think HMX would like to use their DLC catalog (a la Blitz).

As far as game play, I get that you move your body to change the music, I just don't get why you would want too. Also, Kinect on the 360 isn't always as accurate as I'd like and many times I just shut off Kinect games out of frustration. Voice controlled Kinect games are OK, but using Kinect as a controller leaves a lot to be desired. And if you disagree with me, just watch one of the live streams where Drake is playing DC and trying to navigate through the menu screens.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited June 2013
    Interesting concept. I don't know if this is a form of game-play I'd like but I'll try to keep an open mind. I don't own a kinect though, and this is not enough on its own to get me to spend the money on one. I was hoping for a playstation title.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited June 2013
    Hairlooksgreat;5019366 said:
    As far as game play, I get that you move your body to change the music, I just don't get why you would want too.

I'm taking away a synesthetic experience from this (synesthesia being when you interpret one sense as another, more or less). Using your body to alter the music directly falls in line with Harmonix's mission statement about experiencing music in different ways, and anyone who's played Rez or Child of Eden knows how trippy a synestetic experience can be.
    edited June 2013
    grumblevolcano;5019354 said:

This game is going to fail so hard bruther. Xbox One? Yeah let me go shed $700 so I can play Fantasia dude. Kinect game dude. I dislike that kinect and I will not support it any chance I get bruther.

Why didn't they just call this game dance central 4 bruther cause that's what it is dude.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited June 2013
    From what I've read the game comes with only 25 songs. I would think HMX would like to use their DLC catalog (a la Blitz).

There's a Rock Band DLC catalog and a Dance Central DLC catalog. They've made it pretty clear that this game is not an entry in either of those franchises, so I can't imagine they're able to use that DLC - legally or probaby even technically. According to an article, each song in the game features two unique remixes used in gameplay, so that requirement wouldn't be satisfied by any RB or DC DLC.
    As far as game play, I get that you move your body to change the music, I just don't get why you would want too.
    I'd just suggest watching the eventual gameplay videos to decide for yourself if it's something you'd be interested in, though you may not be able to fully appreciate it until playing it for yourself. I think a game like this would benefit immensely from a demo near release. It's probably worth noting that many people didn't understand the appeal of playing along to a song on a plastic guitar peripheral before trying it themselves.
    Hogan2000;5019370 said:
    Why didn't they just call this game dance central 4 bruther cause that's what it is dude.

For starters... because it's not even a dance game?
    edited June 2013
    Has Harmonix sold out to Microsoft bruther? It had a microsoft logo at the end dude?

If this is one of the XBOX ONE exclusives i'm ROFLMOA right now dude. You xbox boys got screwed ha ha ha ha dude.
    edited June 2013
    Hogan2000;5019374 said:
    Has Harmonix sold out to Microsoft bruther? It had a microsoft logo at the end dude?

If this is one of the XBOX ONE exclusives i'm ROFLMOA right now dude. You xbox boys got screwed ha ha ha ha dude.
    Harmonix has always worked closely with M$.

Yes, I am sure it is only of the exclusive games... but, the game looks very interesting to me. It has the Rhythm elements of Rock Band as well as the motion capture of Dance Central and adds to it the abillity to change how the song it played.

Instead of just matching the beat, you can alter the song... I really like that idea.
    edited June 2013
    Sayburr;5019375 said:
    Harmonix has always worked closely with M$.

Yes, I am sure it is only of the exclusive games... but, the game looks very interesting to me. It has the Rhythm elements of Rock Band as well as the motion capture of Dance Central and adds to it the abillity to change how the song it played.

Instead of just matching the beat, you can alter the song... I really like that idea.

It doesn't matter how cool it looks bruther. It's a kinect game bruther. Something I'm boycoting dude. I'm also boycoting XBOX ONE dude.

Just a theory bruther. But how many people are going to go out and buy a XBOX ONE on day 1 and if they do bruther what makes you think the consumer is buying it just for games dude?

Something to think about bruther because games are second hand on the XBOX now dude.
    edited June 2013
    It does seem to be a perfect fit for the Kinect, as opposed to so many other titles that try to fit it in awkwardly. My fingers are crossed that the final product is insanely addictive with high replay value, I like to see Harmonix do well.

I'm curious to see how it balances complexity (rewards expert players for precise choices / movements / timing) with accessibility to kids. That is the target audience, right? Kids? Though I've seen kids do really well with dance games, and they get excited about learning game play moves and getting high scores too.
  • edited June 2013
    RockBandRocker;5019283 said:
    Whatever it is, I hope it's worth them ending the DLC in April.
    FWIW we've been working on Fantasia: Music Evolved for almost 3 years and were still able to release hundreds of pieces of DLC in that time. We didn't end DLC because of any one game. Working on 3+ games at once required a ton of dev resources, and at a certain point we reached a tipping point where it became important to prioritize development of new games over continued production for our older games.
    Sayburr;5019357 said:
    So, where are the Fantasia forums?

We're working on it! Expect to see some big changes for all our game forums in the coming months. I'm really excited for the things we're planning, both for long time forum regulars and for new fans of HMX games.
    Magnet;5019364 said:

What an idea! It's almost like you've seen a preview / trailer for a thing before!
    Hogan2000;5019370 said:
    This game is going to fail so hard bruther. Xbox One? Yeah let me go shed $700 so I can play Fantasia dude. Kinect game dude. I dislike that kinect and I will not support it any chance I get bruther.

1. All of the things you said are exactly the same kinds of things we heard when we made GH and RB. "Music games will never work in the US" and "$200 for instruments, what a joke" and "no one is going to want to PAY for more songs" and "you'll look like an idiot holding a little plastic guitar" etc. Innovation isn't a bad thing.

2. This is definitely not a dance game.