What will Wii players lose at the end of the month?

StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
edited June 2013 in Rock Band
The Wii Connect 24 service ends this month, and though I'm not too familiar with the features, does it relate to Rock Band at all? I'm guessing this ends the ability to add more friends? What does the service's end mean for Rock Band Wii players?

Comments

• brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    I don't think it'll affect Rock Band, but you should check support.nintendo.com or call their toll-free number (1-800-255-3700) if you have questions.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    From what I can read, Rock Band doesn't use this in any way. I also don't believe it will mean we can't add more friends. It is used to receive data while the console is turned off but still has power and Internet and feeds info to some games as well as channels like News and Weather. I agree with BWO though that checking with N is a good idea.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    According to this Facebook page, you will no longer be able to exchange friend codes after June 27.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rockband3wiifriendcodes/

(Yes, I was part of this conversation.)

The roster of friends you've compiled will remain intact, apparently - you'll still be invite them and they'll still be able to invite you.

As mentioned, get first-hand confirmation from Nintendo to be 100 per cent sure. But if there's anybody you want to add to your friend roster, you should do it in the next two weeks just to be safe.
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    As far as I can tell, the Friend Code for the Wii itself is useless as the ability to send messages will shut down, but individual games should be fine. I think.
    edited June 2013
    Unless I'm misreading something here, I was wrong in my post above. Adding friends won't work after it is stopped.

"After the service end date, you will not be able to use the Wii Number from the address book."

That seems pretty definitive to me. Didn't find anything to the contrary. Sorry if this was covered in the Facebook link, I couldn't read it due to being one of the 3 people on earth who doesn't use Facebook. Link to Nintendo site where this quote comes from is included below.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/tiQImp7Oi97LiEyVqwDqL-eDnX6u9qjk
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2013
    I think it's just the Wii messaging system, not online games.
    edited June 2013
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes we can still play online, but unless I'm missing something, we won't be able to add new friends. That's the problem with the part about not being able to use the Wii number. I think the fact that WiiConnect24 is missing from the WiiU is why they can't add friends either.

I guess you could read it as you can't use the number to send messages, but the address book is where you go to get the number in the first place.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2013
    Dentata;5021791 said:
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes we can still play online, but unless I'm missing something, we won't be able to add new friends. That's the problem with the part about not being able to use the Wii number. I think the fact that WiiConnect24 is missing from the WiiU is why they can't add friends either.

I guess you could read it as you can't use the number to send messages, but the address book is where you go to get the number in the first place.
    I think it's add the wii number to your friends from the main menu, not in games.

Remember, the in game number is different for every game.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    Bront20;5021805 said:
    I think it's add the wii number to your friends from the main menu, not in games.

Remember, the in game number is different for every game.

RB3 uses the wii's friend code, unlike older games.
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited June 2013
    The wii's will pretty much be dropped to the functionality if the Wii Mode, which has online mode still. Things that solely use wii friend codes are slightly nerfed, RB3. Anything that uses secondary friend systems wont be nerfed EX Mario Kart Wii.

Pretty much, if you want to game on wii on RB3 you gotta search the old fashion way.