Image Burn

AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Well, I was thinking. Now that I have Rock Band fully reserved. I should save up for a new TV. Me and my family are moving, so I thought I'd just give my room a fresh start. I want to save up for a Plasma Screen (preferably HDTV). And then I remembered everyone telling me that if you play video games on a plasma TV (Or any big-screen TV for that matter) that it will ruin your TV by leaving an image burn on the screen. Does anyone have any basic knowledge of this?

I was hoping to get a TV like this:

Or even better:

Comments

• lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Yeah if something stays on the screen too long, its like a ghost image after a while. That's why they sometimes have features that are like screensavers to prevent this. Same thing happens on computer monitors. Sometimes you'll see an image just constantly there because it's been on the screen so long [like 'press ctrl+alt+del to log in]
  • DarkSideDarkSide Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Check out this site: http://gear.ign.com/hdtv

It gives a pretty good rundown of the different types of TVs and there respective pros and cons. LCDs, for instance, are immune to static burn in.

Personally, I have a 34 in. Sony Crt HDTV, and I've never had a problem.
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Well, if anyone here knows anything about TV's, I was thinking of getting this one (I'm a penny pincher, and I getting money isn't easy for me :D )

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=940651

Would it be a bad choice? A good choice? Little help here?
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    I've heard that Olevias are rock solid HDTVs, and a friend who has one says it's also amazing for gaming.

A 32 inch widescreen is definitely the way to go if you don't want to spend a crazy amount of money. However, if you're buying online, best way to go is newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2102640411+50001886+138902005&name=30%22+-+39%22

The same TV you're looking for is $100 less with shipping, and they are amazing with returns and exchanges and customer support.

Just make sure to get one with an HDTV tuner inside.

-Jaime
    edited July 2007
    JB4GDI;27254 said:

Just make sure to get one with an HDTV tuner inside.

-Jaime
    Thanks a lot for the site, I'm almost positive this is where I'm gonna get it from now. But, what is an HDTV tuner? I guess a switch that turns HD on and off?

If I am right, does that work for the Television itself, or the TV channel. Because I would like to play video games in HD too. I see a switch on my 360 cable that turns HD on and off, but It's a core model. I think I got that wire by mistake (I got the 360 used). Will it still work?

By the way, I was thinking of getting this model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889022032R

Good product, or is there better for that (In that price range)?
    edited July 2007
    Akaymay;27441 said:
    Thanks a lot for the site, I'm almost positive this is where I'm gonna get it from now. But, what is an HDTV tuner? I guess a switch that turns HD on and off?

If I am right, does that work for the Television itself, or the TV channel. Because I would like to play video games in HD too. I see a switch on my 360 cable that turns HD on and off, but It's a core model. I think I got that wire by mistake (I got the 360 used). Will it still work?

By the way, I was thinking of getting this model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889022032R

Good product, or is there better for that (In that price range)?
    I don't know exactly, but I think the HDTV tuner will allow you to watch HD TV channels. It shouldn't affect movies and games, but again, I'm not positive.

As for the 360 cable as long as the cable has 5 connectors (red, green, blue, red, and white) you're fine to play in Hi-Def. I'm not sure how to set that up on the 360 though since I don't own one.

And as for the TV, that looks like a really awesome deal. As long as the thing looks fine when you get it (it says open box), you're probably going to be OK. If it acts up in that 15 day window, or the picture looks like garbage (tweak the settings heavily before you make that decision) call up newegg and return it. They might charge a restocking fee, but that's my advice.

One last thing. I was told by the people at Radioshack to get a surge protector that has Clean Power technology in it (Monster brand has it in most of theirs). They said that if you've ever looked at a monitor or TV that goes slightly fuzzy when the vaccuum cleaner or blowdryer goes on, while it might not affect CRT TVs, it can ruin the picture quality in LCD and Plasmas. The good news is you can find them for less than $50.

-Jaime
    edited July 2007
    JB4GDI;27463 said:

One last thing. I was told by the people at Radioshack to get a surge protector that has Clean Power technology in it (Monster brand has it in most of theirs). They said that if you've ever looked at a monitor or TV that goes slightly fuzzy when the vaccuum cleaner or blowdryer goes on, while it might not affect CRT TVs, it can ruin the picture quality in LCD and Plasmas. The good news is you can find them for less than $50.

-Jaime
    I dont get catch that. You mean, if I just plug it into my outlet and someone turns on a hairdryer or a vacuum or something, my TV can go blurry and ruin the picture?
    edited August 2007
    Akaymay;27737 said:
    I dont get catch that. You mean, if I just plug it into my outlet and someone turns on a hairdryer or a vacuum or something, my TV can go blurry and ruin the picture?
    Yeah, little by little over the course of time. That's what I hear though, I'm not a technology expert so I can't say how true it is. I was just told by the RadioShack employees to get one before I plugged it in.

-Jaime