January DLC: weeks of 1/22 and 1/29

HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
edited February 2008 in Announcements
Hey all,

We know all of you were super curious about the recent January-DLC information that surfaced. As previously reported, the Downloadable content for the weeks of January 22nd and January 29th are:

Week of January 22nd, 2008

Oasis Pack-
- “Don’t Look Back in Anger”
- “Live Forever”
- “Wonderwall”

Week of January 29th, 2008

- “Siva”- by Smashing Pumpkins
- “Working Man” as made famous by Rush
- “Ten Speed (Of God’s Blood and Burial)” as made famous by Coheed
and Cambria

The Oasis pack will be available as a pack for $5.49 (440 Microsoft points), or $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) for the individual tracks. Please note that the Week of January 29th is NOT a pack, as it was reported. These songs are only available individually.

We plan to continue posting each week's DLC every Monday starting again in February.

Enjoy! I hope you're looking forward to the DLC as much as I am :p
-John

Comments

• undertowundertow Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Thank you for posting this!

One quick question. Is there any chance the future announcements could be done on Friday rather than Monday? Depending on people's schedule's, who's allowed to announce, etc.. I understand this could be an issue.

However, with the announcements going out on Friday it would give people a chance to listen to and prepare for the songs over the weekend, whereas on Monday they get less than 24 hours and if they're working or what not, it's not alot of time to prepare and build anticipation. Furthermore, having the songs released on Friday would be a great cushion between the release of the songs on Tuesday. As it is right now, we have to wait a full week each time, as the songs get announced on Monday and then released on Tuesday. We must wait until the following Monday for more information. By Thursday/Friday interest begins to die off, when if the announcements came on Friday, the excitement of waiting for the track over the weekend until Tuesday, followed by the excitement of playing the track until next weeks songs are announced on Friday would give/build and keep alot of the excitement created by this awesome game!

Thank you for your time and reply.
  • swordinstoneswordinstone Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    solid songs here... I hope we see some more hardcore metal & goth soon tho, getting antsy :D
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    YAY more Rush,thats always nice...good selection.I still find it odd that the Coheed song is a cover though.
  • ExayleExayle Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Well... it's been officially confirmed, and while you guys probably won't answer, I'll still say it.

Why, oh why is Ten Speed a cover track?
  • mxmarksmxmarks Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    SUPER EXCITED.

Also - Super NERVOUS about the Coheed cover. BUT since in essence the game is all about ME feeling like I'm in a band COVERING songs, another layer of COVERING shouldn't be that important =)

99% of the covers have been fantastic so far, I just hope the energy in the Coheed cover remains.

This game has easily been the best investment I've ever made in home entertainment. Couldnt be happier.
  • HMXJohnDHMXJohnD Harmonix Developer & One Man Dance Party
    edited January 2008
    Hey Undertow:

Excellent suggestion. In the short run, we're going to stick with Monday announcements (there's a few structural reasons in terms of how DLC is approved and posted that make Monday the best day for us), but we'll keep an open mind as to what might be the best day to announce if that process changes!

ROCK,
    HMXJohnD
  • funINfuneral1funINfuneral1 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
  • willthegreatwillthegreat Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the official word. I haven't downloaded this week's songs yet (PS3 owner) but I'm excited about the next two weeks. You rock, Harmonix, can't wait to sing Wonderwall next week!
  • MexicutionerMexicutioner Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Not my top choices but definitely good stuff... keep up the fantastic work hmx
  • juiceman23juiceman23 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
  • bmore007bmore007 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    OASIS!!!! It's OFFICIAL!!
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Jet Wolf already covered most of my concerns (in this post.) I definitely am not excited about the Oasis tracks--not because of them as a group or anything; I actually listened to all of these on Youtube and in addition to sounding similar, I don't get any sense of energy from the songs (which translates into a lack of fun in playing.) Even the slower songs in the game (Wanted Dead or Alive, Say It Ain't So, Moonage Daydream, Iron Lung, etc.) have a certain something that all of these lack, so it will be the first week we completely pass on.

The repetition of artists already in the game versus new is something of a letdown. My own personal outlook is that a 1:3 or 1:2 ratio of already-in:brand new would be the best route for DLC. In this respect, the overall base for groups would be continuously expanding, while still allowing bands already in the game another chance as it were. But so far for DLC, with these new songs, we've had 26 songs from groups in the core game and just 20 from new artists--which also includes 2 and 3 songs from some of those new groups. That's a little more than 40% content from new groups, instead of the 65-75% or so that I think would better help growth.

I'd prefer--and yes, I am aware that it's not just me, me, me--that we see something like 1 old artist, 2 new artists in a random selection each week. If there will be a 3-pack of songs from a group already in the game, brace it with 9 songs from new blood. Fresh songs are good, but fresh groups are even better.

Overall, I'm still very happy that the DLC continues to flow, and it's clear that some people will enjoy the Oasis and other tracks. The law of averages says that there would come a time that we would skip some DLC--I'll be fine to get that out of the way now and look forward to hopefully something more my speed in February...
  • undertowundertow Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    HMXJohnD;261772 said:
    Hey Undertow:

Excellent suggestion. In the short run, we're going to stick with Monday announcements (there's a few structural reasons in terms of how DLC is approved and posted that make Monday the best day for us), but we'll keep an open mind as to what might be the best day to announce if that process changes!

ROCK,
    HMXJohnD

Thank you for the speedy reply and thank you for taking time out to listen to your fans/customers!

Nothing more needs to be said, I just wanted to take this time to thank everyone at Harmonix for an awesome job on an awesome game!

Loyal Harmonix Customer,
    Kevin - undertow
  • markymarky Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    The Oasis pack is just pure genius! Thank you :) That's if I'm able to get the DLC from the US PS store (I imported ^^)
  • tekturbotekturbo Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Good stuff! Oasis, nice! Keep up the good work, thanks for clearing everything up too!
  • eVan_DieseleVan_Diesel Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    Glad to see an "official" official announcement. I'll be buying all but the Smashing Pumpkins & Coheed/Cambria song. :D
  • SenRaqSenRaq Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    WOW, an Oases pack. I can't wait ;). ..on a seperate note...

Good job on DLC announcement several weeks ahead of the normal. Is this only because stuff got leaked, or will this be something to strive for in the future? The more we know in advance would be better, I think.

Know your rights to RRROOOCCCKKK!!!
  • torsoultorsoul Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    will probably be getting ALL of these. also more rush, and more pumpkins is always a wonderful thing; hopefully there will be a ton more from them to come! coheed i can take or leave, but whatever, i'll get it.
  • KMoneyFiascoKMoneyFiasco Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    When the game first came out my buddy are I we talking about how awesome Working Man would be to have in the game. (its one of my Favorite Rush tunes) But since that song was never officially a single we figured we'd never see it. I guess we were wrong. Awesome selection.
  • Stevenam81Stevenam81 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    I knew "Progressive Pack" just didn't sound right. I was thinking...How is Rush progressive rock? lol. Actually, I don't know that any of those 3 can be considered progressive. I'm happy with these tracks.
  • PhatMagikPhatMagik Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    More Rush just makes me a happy person.

The only Coheed song I've ever liked is Welcome Home and this one as a cover? I do believe I will be passing ol' chaps.
  • bmore007bmore007 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    To the guy complaining about not enough energy, watch these links and say there's no energy in these songs.

Don't Look Back in Anger Live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iul4SBlHIf8

Live Forever Live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6QxYplTBs

Wonderwall Live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmybmVNjfbI
  • Fatal1ty_ReaperFatal1ty_Reaper Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Am I dreaming? More Coheed?!?! YES!!! Ahem, thas cool I spos.
  • FamousLastXFamousLastX Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Exayle;261768 said:
    Well... it's been officially confirmed, and while you guys probably won't answer, I'll still say it.

Why, oh why is Ten Speed a cover track?
    I'd really like to know this as well. If they managed to get Welcome Home in there as a master track, why is this one a cover?
  • Mets1931Mets1931 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I couldn't be happier about the three Oasis songs they picked. Three of my favorites. I was thinking about posting yesteray asking for them and now they are announced today! Awesome. Harmonix you have made this the best game I've ever bought and I've only had it for 2 months.

As for the weekend after. I like the Siamese Dream and Mellan Collie pumpkins but I've never heard Siva. A quick listen on Youtube didn't jump at me so I'm not sure about that one. I know a lot of people love Rush here and I understand that it would be a good song for guitar but I don't like Tom Sawyer that much and their music just doesn't excite me so I think I'll pass. I may pick up Coheed if it is a good cover. I enjoyed the song the first time I ever heard it today.

I am ecstatic about Oasis and am happy that others feel that way about Working Man/Siva/Coheed.
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    WHAT? No Bob Seger? Laaaaaame...
    Ultrace;261803 said:

The repetition of artists already in the game versus new is something of a letdown. My own personal outlook is that a 1:3 or 1:2 ratio of already-in:brand new would be the best route for DLC. In this respect, the overall base for groups would be continuously expanding, while still allowing bands already in the game another chance as it were. But so far for DLC, with these new songs, we've had 26 songs from groups in the core game and just 20 from new artists--which also includes 2 and 3 songs from some of those new groups. That's a little more than 40% content from new groups, instead of the 65-75% or so that I think would better help growth.
    I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. It entirely makes sense that a lot of the DLC is from artists on the disc. It was said in an interview before the game's release that HMX was surprised at how easy they were getting licenses for some bands. For instance, while trying to secure the rights to use "In Bloom" for the game, they were offered the rights to the entire Nevermind album.

In the same vein, the majority of these songs coming out were licensed at the same time as the on-disc songs. I'm confident that as we continue to move on through the year and the initial well of licenses dries up, we'll see more and more variety in the artists made available.
  • WestiesWesties Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Coheed track is a cover >.<
    Ah well, prog pack is a solid set of songs which I'll be getting as soon as it's available :)

I'll forgive you if you release GAIBS4:Vol 1 or 2 as a full album pack sometime in the future ;)
  • man13overboredman13overbored Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    loved the blink-182 song this week, but why is ten speed a cover when you got the master for welcome home?
  • Mets1931Mets1931 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Quastor;261854 said:
    WHAT? No Bob Seger? Laaaaaame...
    Rock and Roll Never Forgets would be great for this game.
  • schmittyschmitty Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    bmore007;261835 said:
    To the guy complaining about not enough energy, watch these links and say there's no energy in these songs.

Don't Look Back in Anger Live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iul4SBlHIf8

Live Forever Live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6QxYplTBs

Wonderwall Live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmybmVNjfbI
    Not to completely change the subject but there was no energy in any of those songs. It was just a bunch of people standing and playing there instruments. No energy at all.

Its good to see that you aren't publicly mad about the leaked DLC HMX or trying to deny it or something.
This discussion has been closed.