[SUGGESTION] Hide Unshared DLC

YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes Unsigned
edited June 2013 in Rock Band
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so please forgive me if this is off-topic.

I've got a suggestion to make for RB3.

When someone joins a multiplayer game with players over Xbox Live, songs which aren't owned by all players will be greyed out, illustrating that they aren't playable. My suggestion is that an option should be introduced that hides these songs instead of greying them out. This would mean that people with large libraries don't have to scroll through hundreds of grey songs to find songs in common with other players.

What do you guys think of this?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2013
    Has been suggested back in RB1, again in RB2, again in Beatles RB, again in Lego RB, and yet again for RB3. Just going on a hunch, but I think HMX knows about this idea but couldn't find a proper way to implement it.
  • YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes Unsigned
    edited June 2013
    Oh, that's a shame. Thanks for the quick reply!
  • YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes Unsigned
    edited June 2013
    On consideration,

    There must be instructions written that can detect and grey out unshared DLC. If it's too difficult to filter unshared DLC out, I wonder if it's possible to sort by shared / all unshared DLC - Similar to sorting by stars, artist, rating ect.

    Even this would be greatly preferable. I'm curious what the specific problem is. Anyone know more?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited June 2013
    Even if you could find an instantly easy way to make it work, It wont be implemented. Patching a game costs about $40.000 on Xbox (no idea what it is on PS3) just to send out the patch, and then there's additional costs. Seeing as the game is quite old and HMX has said they aren't going to bring any more patches, you can be quite sure that there aren't going to be any more patches
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited June 2013
    I thought I read somewhere (probably just someone theorizing) that HMX wanted the unshared DLC to show in hopes that people who don't own any/much DLC would possibly see songs they like but don't have in someone else's list scrolling by. Free marketing, although it probably results in more frustration than sales..
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2013
    BachiG;5023230 said:
    I thought I read somewhere (probably just someone theorizing) that HMX wanted the unshared DLC to show in hopes that people who don't own any/much DLC would possibly see songs they like but don't have in someone else's list scrolling by. Free marketing, although it probably results in more frustration than sales..

    Frustration >>> Sales

    Although I have gotten people to buy songs this way. When you have people like me who hook up with people with 10 DLC, it was the scroll of a lifetime until they "saw" me highlight one of theirs.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    They could've add a filter for that, but then you would have to refresh it every time someone joins/leave like you have to do with the pro guitar/bass filter.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    YesYesYesYes;5023224 said:
    On consideration,

    There must be instructions written that can detect and grey out unshared DLC. If it's too difficult to filter unshared DLC out, I wonder if it's possible to sort by shared / all unshared DLC - Similar to sorting by stars, artist, rating ect.

    Even this would be greatly preferable. I'm curious what the specific problem is. Anyone know more?
    I don't remember the specifics, but I "think"(?) I remember someone from HMX commenting that the way the song lists are loaded in RB3's Overshell mode only loads part of the song list at a time from each player, so they couldn't do it because of the way the game mechanics are designed. In other words, the game doesn't know that a song needs to be hidden until it literally shows up on the screen.

    Of course that seems like a terrible design choice (and always has been). Why they couldn't reserve a 1-bit flag just for multiplayer on each song to show or hide songs based on whether everyone has the song, I'll never know. It's not like people are buying songs in the middle of a session, so you could just sync the song list once as each players enters or leaves, but for whatever reason Harmonix chose a different direction. I personally chalk it up to Harmonix rarely playing their own game online with anyone but friends.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2013
    ClaptonsWig;5023195 said:
    Has been suggested back in RB1, again in RB2, again in Beatles RB, again in Lego RB, and yet again for RB3. Just going on a hunch, but I think HMX knows about this idea but couldn't find a proper way to implement it.

    lego had no online play, so I doubt it was suggested there ;)
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    Maybe with the next inception of RB, hmx will find a way to work through this issue, as well as fix the xmb boot and other various nagging little problems. Would be nice, and we always have our dreams.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    rkbdgurl;5023246 said:
    Maybe with the next inception of RB, hmx will find a way to work through this issue, as well as fix the xmb boot and other various nagging little problems. Would be nice, and we always have our dreams.

    I believe the XMB boot was intentional. It is a way to provided PS3 players with bathroom and beer breaks.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    I never quite thought of it that way. How considerate of hmx :P
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited June 2013
    lvmathemagician;5023392 said:
    I believe the XMB boot was intentional. It is a way to provided PS3 players with bathroom and beer breaks.
    Dude, I like your thinking... we should hang out :D
Sign In or Register to comment.